ADVERTISEMENT

Next DC

OT, but I didn't want to start another thread.

What if PSU tells Cliff that it is time to go but he wants to play his 6th year and ends up at VA Tech:)

College Off-Season is almost more fun than the regular season.
This is year it definitely was. 😞

I am going to guess John Scott is going to go with him as DC. Therefore:

Does anyone think there is any chance that Larry Johnson would come back to be a DC? This has nothing to do with him being a Paterno guy so stop before you even start with that. I know that ship has probably already sailed with the way he left and where he went, but do you at least have to kick a tire or two on it?

What about a return of Sean Spencer? Joe Judge time in New York might be slowly coming down so would Spencer fit that bill?

I know, I know, I said legitimate chances and then first twoi I say are LJ and Spencer.
Seriously you want to hire a 70 year old first time DC who never been anything but a DL coach? This has to be one of the most ridiculous suggestions.

Why Poindexter? They need to get a higher profiled DC than that... Lee would be good but do not count on it. Though the $$$ at E. Robinson at A&M....
Other than play at Penn State what makes Robinson so attractive? He never even coached anything that had with coverage schemes. In today game that is a must. Poindexter is far more qualified.

Reactions: unclewill
Robinson isn't coming here - it has nothing to do with money, title, etc. He doesn't like CJF.
This is the first I am seeing that Robinson does not like CJF. Does he not like CJF because CJF did not offer him a coaching position in 2014, which forced Robinson to go to Temple?

Last I heard, Tom Bradley is available. Was just let go by the Steelers in January after three full years as secondary coach.

Did a half decent job with their secondary last year having to deal with injury and COVID issues in their front seven. Age is an issue at 65 years old. Sandy would probably say “no way”.
Bradley isn't one of Franklin's buddies. The administration wouldn't want him. He's getting old. So no.

Seriously you want to hire a 70 year old first time DC who never been anything but a DL coach? This has to be one of the most ridiculous suggestions.
It is a discussion board, I stated a question and asked what people thought. Please learn to read, I never said I wanted him, I said maybe kick the tires. You act like LJ coached at Lock Haven and Clarion. Guy was at Penn State and Ohio State and has been under some pretty damn high level coaches.

You must be able to read and comprehend to understand what I am about to say. If you skim and jump to conclusions then STOP reading right now.

Question: Does Franklin have any connections or ties to older NFL type coaches that may be out of the league? I am thinking like a Rex Ryan mold. Someone who was a great DC but an iffy Head Coach and is sitting in a broadcast booth or even at home. It might give the defense the new eyes that it needs. It also brings in an older, experienced coach that possibly can sit in to booth and call defenses while being on the mic for game management advice.

I asked you to read because by no means was I saying hire Rex Ryan. But I know some dolts on here can't wait to say I'm crazy if I want Rex Ryan.
Like Marvin Lewis or Jim Hazlett

Reactions: Texas Lion
Other than play at Penn State what makes Robinson so attractive? He never even coached anything that had with coverage schemes. In today game that is a must. Poindexter is far more qualified.

He's an elite recruiter. Check out the DL class he's projected to get at Texas A&M this year. It's insane. And he develops that talent very well.

But as a DC? Yeah, not sold that he's ready for that. More to being a DC than developing down linemen and recruiting.

Definitely would prefer someone with ties to the program. Someone who understands the culture, traditions, etc.

He's an elite recruiter. Check out the DL class he's projected to get at Texas A&M this year. It's insane. And he develops that talent very well.

But as a DC? Yeah, not sold that he's ready for that. More to being a DC than developing down linemen and recruiting.
Who’s the elite recruiter? Robinson or the aTm booster oil money?

Promotion from within does not work. Spend some money and get a defensive version of Yancich.
We need to dump Yurcich. Today's game is no place for a system coach. There is way too much player turnover for Yurcich to ever replicate his level of success (which is far lower than the common fan thinks) at a tier one program. He does one thing and one thing only. We saw what happens we he doesn't have the players to run what he does. He has demonstrated a complete unwillingness to shift his system to match talent. Franklin needs to hire the next Kirby Smart and another Joe Moorhead if he wants to get over the hump.

We need to dump Yurcich. Today's game is no place for a system coach. There is way too much player turnover for Yurcich to ever replicate his level of success (which is far lower than the common fan thinks) at a tier one program. He does one thing and one thing only. We saw what happens we he doesn't have the players to run what he does. He has demonstrated a complete unwillingness to shift his system to match talent. Franklin needs to hire the next Kirby Smart and another Joe Moorhead if he wants to get over the hump.

Ok genius, tell us all how you can switch up a system with an OL that can’t block. This isn’t a systematic failure on MY’s part. It’s a position failure. If we had a mediocre OL PSU wins 2/3 more games this year.

Reactions: bison13 and BBrown
I am gonna be a fan and let CEO CJF figure out his next piece to the coaching team. I give him odds for making a really good hire. Problem I see is coaching turnover at PSU er, wait it's happening everywhere..... I think CJF will come out on top of the changing CF world. Patience grasshopper ;)

I am gonna be a fan and let CEO CJF figure out his next piece to the coaching team. I give him odds for making a really good hire. Problem I see is coaching turnover at PSU er, wait it's happening everywhere..... I think CJF will come out on top of the changing CF world. Patience grasshopper ;)
So far his track record is not stellar. He was dumb enough to not know that John Donovan was a national joke in the making. He was dumb enough to not fire him after the 2014 and 2015 seasons forcing Sandy to take matters into her own hands and make him do it. She could because she had several which the University gave away with the new contract extension. Franklin did bring in Joe Moorhead who did a wonderful job matching his philosophy with the talent on hand. He gets credit here but it is not like Moorhead was an unknown quantity.

When Joe left, he anointed his boy Ricky. It didn't turn out bad but didn't turn out well either as Ricky couldn't handle changing the offense Joe left him to match the changing talent on the team. He opted for a major overhaul in 2020 and it blew up in his face partly due to covid and eventually went back to the JoeMo offense mid-season then fired the OC. Now we we have another major rebuilding effort under a true system coach who needs his type of players to succeed. We just finished up year one of a three year rebuilding process. Yurcich is by no means a bad coordinator, he is just better fit at a lower tier program. He would due great at Indiana.

Defensively, he had Bob Shoop but let that situation self destruct. When he left, he promoted his boy Pry. Much like Rahne, Pry hasn't been bad but hasn't been that good either. Similar to the way the offensive talent shifted which should have resulted in a system adjustment, Pry's defense continues to chug along with many square pegs and no attempt what so ever to change or adjust. Never mind Franklin's choice of position coaches or allocation of duties which has been equally suspect.

Reactions: kickerinaz
Definitely would prefer someone with ties to the program. Someone who understands the culture, traditions, etc.
1980 says hello. The culture of college football is win or you're fired. It's a business and that culture exists everywhere in the P5 world. People don't like to hear it, but it's just a bonus if someone has ties to the program anymore....because they won't have a job too if PSU isn't winning.

Reactions: CbusLion10
Why the heck would he want a lateral move?

$$$ perhaps.

If you read about his defense, it shares a lot of similarities with what Pry does. Pry just seemed to be more cognizant about run downs vs pass downs as far as substitutions went (think Hardy coming in on 3rd down to replace Jacobs). Guys like Reed and Sutherland seem to fit the S/LB hybrid role closer to Elkos styling.

$$$ perhaps.

If you read about his defense, it shares a lot of similarities with what Pry does. Pry just seemed to be more cognizant about run downs vs pass downs as far as substitutions went (think Hardy coming in on 3rd down to replace Jacobs). Guys like Reed and Sutherland seem to fit the S/LB hybrid role closer to Elkos styling.
A & M = automobiles and money

Reactions: bison13
1980 says hello. The culture of college football is win or you're fired. It's a business and that culture exists everywhere in the P5 world. People don't like to hear it, but it's just a bonus if someone has ties to the program anymore....because they won't have a job too if PSU isn't winning.
I'm amused when so many want someone with ties to PSU. Paterno didn't even have ties to PSU when he was hired.

$$$ perhaps.

And you think PSU will beat A&M when it comes to money for coaches? Not happening.

And JM is not a “ system coach?” My Lord, the guy refused to take a snap under center under any circumstances! Talk about unwilling to shift!

It would take a ton of shuffling and maybe some movement but wonder what USC Interim Coach Donte Williams is going to do after this time is up?

I'm amused when so many want someone with ties to PSU. Paterno didn't even have ties to PSU when he was hired.

Ummmm...., actually JVP did have ties to PSU when he was hired via HC Rip Engle. Rip Engle was the party who was hired with no ties to PSU. Engle was hired from Brown before 1950 season where he was HC and JVP was his starting QB - JVP graduated from Brown following1949 season (and George Paterno was starting RB). In fact, Paterno was going to go to Law School and RIP Engle talked him out of it and talked him into taking an Assistant Coach job at PSU.

Ummmm...., actually JVP did have ties to PSU when he was hired via HC Rip Engle. Rip Engle was the party who was hired with no ties to PSU. Engle was hired from Brown before 1950 season where he was HC and JVP was his starting QB - JVP graduated from Brown following1949 season (and George Paterno was starting RB). In fact, Paterno was going to go to Law School and RIP Engle talked him out of it and talked him into taking an Assistant Coach job at PSU.
Paterno's former coach being hired at PSU counts as a PSU tie? That's a stretch, Paterno had no personal ties to PSU to my knowledge. If that's your benchmark you could 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon your way into making a case that nearly anyone has ties to anywhere.

Well, Rip Engle did play for former PSU HC Dick Harlow in college and his uncle "Dad" Engle played at Penn State.

I don't care who they hire. I just want someone in the mold of Buddy Ryan. Someone who will put a bounty on the heads of opposing players. Former New Orleans DC Gregg Williams immediately comes to mind.. ;)

It is a discussion board, I stated a question and asked what people thought. Please learn to read, I never said I wanted him, I said maybe kick the tires. You act like LJ coached at Lock Haven and Clarion. Guy was at Penn State and Ohio State and has been under some pretty damn high level coaches.
if you can do the job does age really matter many great coaches are old!!

Reactions: THEEHMANN
I've put in my application for DC. I have suggested we meet in Vegas or Nashville toward the end of the year for my interview. Of course, my expenses need to be paid for by PSU.

Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT