ADVERTISEMENT

Next DC

Texas Lion

Aug 10, 2018
Looks like our guy is moving to the ACC to run his own program. Let’s talk about some legitimate DC Candidates that are realistic! Meaning no, Marcus Freeman isn’t coming to Penn State.

I don't know enough about what is out there, but I feel like a guy with linebacker coaching in his past would be welcome. I think Poindexter has done well with the secondary and I think Scott can be fine if he gets some horses, but I'd sure love a DC that can't live with missed tackles on the second level.

I am going to guess John Scott is going to go with him as DC. Therefore:

Does anyone think there is any chance that Larry Johnson would come back to be a DC? This has nothing to do with him being a Paterno guy so stop before you even start with that. I know that ship has probably already sailed with the way he left and where he went, but do you at least have to kick a tire or two on it?

What about a return of Sean Spencer? Joe Judge time in New York might be slowly coming down so would Spencer fit that bill?

I know, I know, I said legitimate chances and then first twoi I say are LJ and Spencer.

Does anyone think there is any chance that Larry Johnson would come back to be a DC? This has nothing to do with him being a Paterno guy so stop before you even start with that. I know that ship has probably already sailed with the way he left and where he went, but do you at least have to kick a tire or two on it?

What about a return of Sean Spencer? Joe Judge time in New York might be slowly coming down so would Spencer fit that bill?

I know, I know, I said legitimate chances and then first twoi I say are LJ and Spencer.
Never on Johnson.

I would imagine CJF will hire someone who is already a DC.

Reactions: m48tank

Word is that LJ is nearing retirement. No way he goes back to PSU even if he weren't, though.

Clemson and OSU will be looking for DCs, too. Possibly ND if Freeman takes the ND HC job. So we'll have competition.

NC State's DC is a good one to target, IMO.

Last I heard, Tom Bradley is available. Was just let go by the Steelers in January after three full years as secondary coach.

Did a half decent job with their secondary last year having to deal with injury and COVID issues in their front seven. Age is an issue at 65 years old. Sandy would probably say “no way”.

Ah yes, all of the "PSU men" names are coming up as usual. Let me add Lavar Arrington and Sean Lee just so we can get those out of the way too and move on to more realistic names.

Not kidding, Sean Lee in a second. The kid is smart, and has a coaching future. I am with you on the old PSU names just not being realistic, but Sean Lee would be amazing.

Ah yes, all of the "PSU men" names are coming up as usual. Let me add Lavar Arrington and Sean Lee just so we can get those out of the way too and move on to more realistic names.
Read Much?

Does anyone think there is any chance that Larry Johnson would come back to be a DC? This has nothing to do with him being a Paterno guy so stop before you even start with that.

I brought up LJ, not cause he is a Paterno left over, but because he has killed us in DL recruiting since he went to the buttflies. Say what you want about the 4th and 5 vs Ohio State, but if that isn't Chase Young vs Will Fries the play works.

Is Jim Knowles realistic? Would DC at Penn State be better than DC at Oklahoma State? I saw where Knowles has some chops from some east coach years.

That’s exciting news for him and I think a positive for the program. What was the name of the former PSU lineman who had strong Philly and NJ ties? Coached under Rhule? Where is he now?

one word. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
🤣
one word .... VAUNTED

Last edited:
My question to all that mention Sean Lee.......if Sean Lee graduated from Rutgers or Oregon State and was simply a retired NFL Player with no ties to Franklin, would you mention him for this position?

Im really starting to think we try to promote Poindexter. Already holds the title of Co-DC.

Promote him and go get yourself a fundamentals first LB Coach that can teach the LB's how to wrap up.
Sean Lee

Pat Nardouche! His team held the vaunted WMU Broncos to just 44 points this year.
well, they are playing for an ACC championship this weekend. And if they win (playing Wake Forest), will be ranked and playing a NYD 6 bowl.

My question to all that mention Sean Lee.......if Sean Lee graduated from Rutgers or Oregon State and was simply a retired NFL Player with no ties to Franklin, would you mention him for this position?
Probably not but then we would'nt be as familar as we are with Sean. We've seen him perform at PSU and in the pros plus the year he was hurt he was pretty much a coach on the sidelines.

Probably not but then we would'nt be as familar as we are with Sean. We've seen him perform at PSU and in the pros plus the year he was hurt he was pretty much a coach on the sidelines.
Fair assessment of the situation. I guess now the question would be if he has any connections, besides alumni, to anyone on the staff.

I am not opposed to a Poindexter DC and Lee LB switcharoo but need to make sense before I will think it can happen.

Wasn't Pry the guy who said he has no desire to be a HC and was content being a DC?

and probably true of a number of ex players transitioning to coaching. Like a lot of careers, its about networking and more often than not your network is strongest at your alma mater.

If we want to stick with Penn Staters Elijah Robinson may be the guy. We tried to nab him last year to replace spencer. https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...sive-line-job-to-stay-at-texas-am-report.html

Reactions: BBrown
I hear a lot of names of Penn State people. But only commentator Jack Ham survived the scandal and there appears to be a no Penn Stater need apply policy in place.
Any comments

Reactions: PSUTENN1
Why Poindexter? They need to get a higher profiled DC than that... Lee would be good but do not count on it. Though the $$$ at E. Robinson at A&M....
Robinsons the guy that I was trying to remember. I did look him up and he is outstanding, but all of his experience is on the line. He’s obviously a very talented DL coach, but is he ready to be a DC?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT