ADVERTISEMENT

Next DC

And nearly destroyed it.
Neither comment is correct.
Walk around campus and read some of the historical signs. You may be amazed at some of the information.
Rip Engle started the era of big time football.
Remember Beaver Field was designed and built with the idea that it could be dismantled moved and expanded.
Some one was planning for a more robust football program.
Joe moved us that next step
In the end Joe was a victim of his hubris.
His enemies won and destroyed him.
But most of all Penn State is so much more than an athletic program

disagree. I think folks finally realized the program was bigger than one man who sadly allowed his ego to tarnish a university he once worked hard to promote.

• Wow
Reactions: PSU_Nut and Ski
Paterno's former coach being hired at PSU counts as a PSU tie? That's a stretch, Paterno had no personal ties to PSU to my knowledge. If that's your benchmark you could 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon your way into making a case that nearly anyone has ties to anywhere.

Let's put it this way, JVP had a much bigger connection than Engle.

So far his track record is not stellar. He was dumb enough to not know that John Donovan was a national joke in the making. He was dumb enough to not fire him after the 2014 and 2015 seasons forcing Sandy to take matters into her own hands and make him do it. She could because she had several which the University gave away with the new contract extension. Franklin did bring in Joe Moorhead who did a wonderful job matching his philosophy with the talent on hand. He gets credit here but it is not like Moorhead was an unknown quantity.

When Joe left, he anointed his boy Ricky. It didn't turn out bad but didn't turn out well either as Ricky couldn't handle changing the offense Joe left him to match the changing talent on the team. He opted for a major overhaul in 2020 and it blew up in his face partly due to covid and eventually went back to the JoeMo offense mid-season then fired the OC. Now we we have another major rebuilding effort under a true system coach who needs his type of players to succeed. We just finished up year one of a three year rebuilding process. Yurcich is by no means a bad coordinator, he is just better fit at a lower tier program. He would due great at Indiana.

Defensively, he had Bob Shoop but let that situation self destruct. When he left, he promoted his boy Pry. Much like Rahne, Pry hasn't been bad but hasn't been that good either. Similar to the way the offensive talent shifted which should have resulted in a system adjustment, Pry's defense continues to chug along with many square pegs and no attempt what so ever to change or adjust. Never mind Franklin's choice of position coaches or allocation of duties which has been equally suspect.
Maybe the fact he could not really pay any of his top assistants the kind of money needed to compete with “ the best” is why he has had challenges…I could be wrong but isn’t this one of the things he has been griping about for years?

If manny diaz gets fired from UM, frankin should try to get him as the new DC
Might not be a bad idea. Lot of ties to Florida recruiting, SEC country and also coached at Texas. Don’t know if he would come north but lots of experience as a DC.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV
It makes me wonder if we’ll elevate Poindexter to DC (with raises, etc) to keep him. Rumor is there’s a gap between what he’s asking and what UVA is offering.

Reactions: TheGLOV
You’re right. It probably wouldn’t, but maybe it stops him from going to VaTech if Pry were to offer him the DC Cord position if he does not get the UVA HC position.
That could absolutely be the case. Going to UVA as the DC might be another story.

I am just really anxious about the possible defensive changes. Yes, Pry and his slow blitzes were very frustrating for me. But they still kept the team in the game on almost every occasion.

Reactions: uscgPSU and BBrown
Might not be a bad idea. Lot of ties to Florida recruiting, SEC country and also coached at Texas. Don’t know if he would come north but lots of experience as a DC.
Diaz did accept a head coaching job for temple before jolting for UM so I would think he would be ok with the northeast

Last edited:
Reactions: 87 Penn St8
It makes me wonder if we’ll elevate Poindexter to DC (with raises, etc) to keep him. Rumor is there’s a gap between what he’s asking and what UVA is offering.
There was a gap that’s been resolved. Big-money donors want Poindexter. Poindexter is in Las Vegas for some type of awards dinner and the UVA people either met with him last night or today.

In other DC news.....

A lot of smoke that Ohio State is going to hire Okie State's DC Jim Knowles. Huge hire for them if true. At least one board mentioned that we were in hot pursuit of Knowles, but no idea on the details.

And Bob Shoop the new DC at USF.

In other DC news.....

A lot of smoke that Ohio State is going to hire Okie State's DC Jim Knowles. Huge hire for them if true. At least one board mentioned that we were in hot pursuit of Knowles, but no idea on the details.

And Bob Shoop the new DC at USF.

If we hired Knowles: bad decision getting a B12 DC.

Buckeyes do it: excellent decision.

Least that's how it feels.

Maybe the fact he could not really pay any of his top assistants the kind of money needed to compete with “ the best” is why he has had challenges…I could be wrong but isn’t this one of the things he has been griping about for years?
Maybe Franklin can't get the money he wants for his assistants but he sure does a good job of getting more money for himself.

The fact that Oklahoma State is the #3 total defense in the country in an offense-first conference is part of why everybody with a DC opening wants him. His defenses are nasty -- very aggressive, and balanced against the run and pass.

I wouldn't buy the rumors of him to Ohio State just yet, but there's definitely smoke. I know Florida was going hard after him, among other schools. Word is, it is/was a bidding war......and sounds like we were involved.

Interested to see who else we go after.

Reactions: PSUSignore
There was a gap that’s been resolved. Big-money donors want Poindexter. Poindexter is in Las Vegas for some type of awards dinner and the UVA people either met with him last night or today.
IIRC timeline I read, AP met with UVa Monday. Awards in Vegas today, official parade out the new coach Wednesday at UVa.

The fact that Oklahoma State is the #3 total defense in the country in an offense-first conference is part of why everybody with a DC opening wants him. His defenses are nasty -- very aggressive, and balanced against the run and pass.

I wouldn't buy the rumors of him to Ohio State just yet, but there's definitely smoke. I know Florida was going hard after him, among other schools. Word is, it is/was a bidding war......and sounds like we were involved.

Interested to see who else we go after.
Not nasty enough to beat Baylor and ISU.

Reactions: PSUALREADYKNOW
Neither comment is correct.
Walk around campus and read some of the historical signs. You may be amazed at some of the information.
Rip Engle started the era of big time football.
Remember Beaver Field was designed and built with the idea that it could be dismantled moved and expanded.
Some one was planning for a more robust football program.
Joe moved us that next step
In the end Joe was a victim of his hubris.
His enemies won and destroyed him.
But most of all Penn State is so much more than an athletic program
Paterno did so, so much for PSU…stressed academics (Grand Experiment), funded a library, raised historic amounts of $ for PSU, and did it add on a mid-level DC or OC nowadays. He put Penn State on the map.

He was destroyed by jealous Judas-wanna-be’s.

IIRC timeline I read, AP met with UVa Monday. Awards in Vegas today, official parade out the new coach Wednesday at UVa.
Everyone around C’ville knows Poindexter is there coach. Just a matter of a day or two.

OK St had a very good defense this season, and the B12 in general wasn't as bad defensively as they were a couple of years ago. Baylor's defense looked solid in their win over OK St. as well. Knowles would be a great hire, if we can get him. He's a hot commodity though, and will command a high salary. I don't think PSU will win that battle but it's been rumored we are going after him and Robinson pretty hard.

Not nasty enough to beat Baylor and ISU.
They beat Baylor in the regular season, held them to 14 points. In the Big XII title game, Okie State's defense held Baylor to 242 total yards. Okie State lost because of 4 turnovers, not because of defense.

They're #1 in sacks, #1 in TFL, #3 in total defense, #5 in rush defense, and #8 in scoring defense.

I'd take that all day long. In a conference that values offense, no less.

I have no idea where he is in the contract negotiations, but word is that Okie State is pushing hard to offer him a lucrative deal to stay put. If we want in, we're going to have to spend big bucks.

Reactions: CbusLion10
ADVERTISEMENT