ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Brackets and discussion

This.

Some posters are slapping % around that range between illogical to insane, and other posters who are equally poor at math are sticking up for them. LOL.

Whatever. I get it. Everyone is antsy and excited for the action to start.
You guys can take a statistics refresher in April.
Yeah, this is a case where if you let people give you percentages for each person in the draw individually then add them up, it would be like 300%. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: diggerpup
Carter has stated, he's 100%. Whatever that means.

It means:

1a934514-4e22-4372-a49e-f7f9385d3b64_text.gif
I speak Starocci (got an A in it all 4 years of HS) and can confirm this is an accurate translation.

Plus the particular dialect he used and knowing grin further conveyed that he will celebrate his 4th natty by dragging Mark Manning onto the mat for some extra curriculars immediately following the award ceremony (assuming Manning is still on the premises).

How you guys feeling about Kasak/Abas? That’s a seemingly tough draw for a #7 considering Abas’ history and current Intermat ranking.
It could be a tricky match but I like Kasak. Abas just lost 11-3 to Chance Lamer at PAC-12’s. Got pinned by Cody Bond during the season as well. His record is a bit deceiving because he has a few medical forfeits but he doesn’t really have any great wins either

anyone know a source for the auto fill brackets?
Found a link through the Iowa board to a link at tap talk. Just giving the final google address here:

EDIT: That didn't work it just embedded it. Pulling the short link from tap talk.

Ohio State didn't get many good draws, but poor performances at the B1G really caught up with some of them. Honestly most of us Buckeye fans understand outside of Mendez, this is a rebuilding year with the injuries to the few vets we had and so much youth. Gotta be realistic, 3 AAs is about what I would expect any less would be disappointing and anymore would be a solid finish.
Solid post.

I loved the years when one of our guys would make it to the finals.

That was the only time I could watch PSU wrestling was on espn for the finals.

Reactions: yekrut321
Found a link through the Iowa board to a link at tap talk. Just giving the final google address here:

EDIT: That didn't work it just embedded it. Pulling the short link from tap talk.

thanks!!!

God help anyone wrestling C Star. No doubt in my mind, and this comes from watching him after his illness, he was absolutely possessed. Now? Good luck wrestling him, he'll break you. The morons in the seeding committee own this idiocy. #9, laugh my ass off.

4 wrestlers with more than 2 losses ranked in front of him.... One wrestler with 5 losses in front of him.... One wrestler with with 4 losses in front of him... One wrestler with 3 losses including a MFF in front of him...

3x Defending National Champion, 64 match win streak up to 2 MFF losses, 4 wrestlers with more losses in front of him.... yea, that makes tons of sense LMAO.

4 wrestlers with more than 2 losses ranked in front of him.... One wrestler with 5 losses in front of him.... One wrestler with with 4 losses in front of him... One wrestler with 3 losses including a MFF in front of him...

3x Defending National Champion, 64 match win streak up to 2 MFF losses, 4 wrestlers with more losses in front of him.... yea, that makes tons of sense LMAO.
By not wrestling 15 matches he got a zero for RPI. Also got zero for conference championship placement. Everyone knew the formula and coaches chose to play it this way. (Not go to Cliff Keen or other early season tourneys, for example.) I would have liked them to adjust his seed downward to common sense separate the bracket, but the rest is okay with me.

By not wrestling 15 matches he got a zero for RPI. Also got zero for conference championship placement. Everyone knew the formula and coaches chose to play it this way. (Not go to Cliff Keen or other early season tourneys, for example.) I would have liked them to adjust his seed downward to common sense separate the bracket, but the rest is okay with me.
Agreed. Moving down was a given by formula and fair. But not placing in a seed to provide fairness to others and maintain a compelling expected final…lack of common sense. 6th. That was the right spot.

There is one percentage that affects all other predictions.

86%

Unless someone thinks our success on NCAA Friday nights is just luck, it's only natural to give our guys a slight bump on their chances of reaching the finals.

Reach the semis, and I like our chances.

Reactions: FatWoodchuck
The 125 lb bracket is going to be great entertainment! Davis actually probably has the best chance to make the quarterfinals at around 70%. Stanich about 60%, Ayala around 55%, Barnett 50%, Noto 50%, Ramos 50%. This is cumulative probability to that point. But even at 70% there is a ~ 1/3 chance of NOT making the quarters. That is very high for 1-4 seeds. Every match after is pretty much flipping coins. In fact most second round matchups are pretty much flipping coins too.

Davis's draw is actually pretty good relatively speaking. His first match he is a very heavy favorite and his second match he should be a solid favorite. I think his quarterfinal opponent is most likely to be Richie Figs and that is close to a coin flip.

That would put Kemp opposite Lewis, but as an 8, it’s still Starocci vs Mekhi in the quarters.

Asinine on NCAA, drop Carter to 10th FFS, this should have been the Sat nightcap. Damn they screwd the pooch.

3 returning champs one same side?? WTF

Utter ridiculousness - the 2 Seed from ND State has beat no one and has effectively drawn a number #1 Seed Draw with a relative cakewalk into the finals. Complete nonsense.

The 125 lb bracket is going to be great entertainment! Davis actually probably has the best chance to make the quarterfinals at around 70%. Stanich about 60%, Ayala around 55%, Barnett 50%, Noto 50%, Ramos 50%. This is cumulative probability to that point. But even at 70% there is a ~ 1/3 chance of NOT making the quarters. That is very high for 1-4 seeds. Every match after is pretty much flipping coins. In fact most second round matchups are pretty much flipping coins too.

Davis's draw is actually pretty good relatively speaking. His first match he is a very heavy favorite and his second match he should be a solid favorite. I think his quarterfinal opponent is most likely to be Richie Figs and that is close to a coin flip.
Don't understand some of these percentages.

Stanich and Ayala both have pretty clear paths to the quarterfinals; I would estimate both at around 85%. Better chances than Davis, IMO.

I would put Davis a little lower (say 60%) than what your 70%, but that's a quibble for these type of semi-educated guesses.

Ramos would have to get by Surtain (#13 seed), a lower seed but a dangerous opponent. I'd estimate the probability of Ramos making the quarters at around 60%

Noto would have to get by Volk (#5 seed). Barnett would have to get by Camacho (7). I would give both < 50% probability to make the quarters; call it 40% for both.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano

Stanich and Ayala both have pretty clear paths to the quarterfinals; I would estimate both at around 85%. Better chances than Davis, IMO.

I would put Davis a little lower (say 60%) than what your 70%, but that's a quibble for these type of semi-educated guesses.

Ramos would have to get by Surtain (#13 seed), a lower seed but a dangerous opponent. I'd estimate the probability of Ramos making the quarters at around 60%

Noto would have to get by Volk (#5 seed). Barnett would have to get by Camacho (7). I would give both < 50% probability to make the quarters; call it 40% for both.
numbers-dont.gif

Noto seemed to have a better year than this year... any insight from the board? Has a few questionable losses

There is no way to justify this seeding, but it is what it is. In the end, it won't matter. But it's beyond laughable. Cite all the scenarios for the seeding you want. It's STUUU PID.

Reactions: creamery freak

Don't underestimate Stevo Poulin. Surtain isn't even certain (no pun intended...) to get to the matchup with Ramos. Poulin beat Surtain in their only meeting (in the Big 12's last year) and Surtain MFF'd out of the B12 champs this year after losing to Volk.

Utter ridiculousness - the 2 Seed from ND State has beat no one and has effectively drawn a number #1 Seed Draw with a relative cakewalk into the finals. Complete nonsense.
Cade DeVos is from South Dakota St. He's a Big 12 champ with a win over former AA Peyton Mocco just last weekend. He's better than you think.

... I would estimate both at around 85%.

... but that's a quibble for these type of semi-educated guesses.

.... I'd estimate the probability of Ramos making the quarters at around 60%

I would give both < 50% probability to make the quarters; call it 40% for both.

WrestleSim's reaction to this post:

Ryan Gosling Reaction GIF

Stanich has to get past the winner of Smith-DeAug. That is far from a "clear path".

There is no way to justify this seeding, but it is what it is. In the end, it won't matter. But it's beyond laughable. Cite all the scenarios for the seeding you want. It's STUUU PID.
It seems they are clearly communicating MFF'ing out of conference will be penalized - which IMO is totally inappropriate.

It suspect they would have been 'fairer' had Carter gone and lost those 2 matches.

Clearly even with 2 legit losses, Carter should be seeded way higher than where he is. It seems they intentionally wanted to give Carter his toughest test as early as possible, not to mention placing 3 national champs on the same side of the bracket, with arguably garbage on the other side.

The biggest loser is Lewis, given the animal on a mission that is Carter Starocci. He could be seed 33rd and it ain't going to matter unless the knee goes out.

There is a way to justify the seeding. They used the formula and this is the result they got.

That's justification. You may think it's bad or that this instance should have been excepted from using the formula, but that's simply your opinion.

Personally, I like it. Everyone knows the rules and procedures going in. And the results reflect those rules and procedures. I don't know what else people want from the seeding process.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT