ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Brackets and discussion

I predict he uses a younger profile pic by then.
We have people at work who do that. Even people hired like 6 months ago - so it’s not a case of them putting up a pic 8 years ago and forgetting, but consciously using an old (more flattering) picture for a new job.

I walked by some development meeting and there was some middle-aged woman in there. I had no clue who it was. I asked someone if it was a land agent or consultant. “No, that’s ———- - she started 6 months ago”. Her picture is like 15 years out of date. I mean, how narcissistic can you be?

Pretty sure Crookham is better than he was in November as well. When I saw him at Journeyman in November, he was going OT with Carter Bailey, and his match with Vito was kinda fluky. The match in the EIWA finals wasn't. Nor have his other results been in the 2nd semester.

He's not beating him, but we probably should be concentrating on the R16 match anyway as that will be no picnic. The only saving grace in that one is that Bailey could give up a TD to Aaron and then Aaron will be in the match.
A work colleague in Little Rock (my company's HQ) says Nagao has no chance against Nasir and Crookham will sweat it, too. I begged to differ, but am now wary. Where the hell did LR come from?

Last season, championship brackets only, there were 66 upsets by seed in the ten weight classes. That's 20% of all bouts. Lot's of very good and great wrestlers at the tournament, generally saw only one head scratcher.

The only seeding of the dozen or so I looked at by criteria that doesn't make sense is Starocci. Yes, RPI and inj. def. x 2 didn't help, so the seed appears to be "by the book". However, this year the NCAA added some subjective measures to keep something like this from happening. One subjective criteria; "Number of Injury default or medical forfeits wins/losses" comes to mind. Not concerned for Carter at this point, it's more about the other guys in the bracket, especially Kemp & Lewis
I think they missed on Vito at 6 also.🤔

A

And bet your ass that nobody will. All tournament. If Aaron can wrestle well enough in neutral, he can beat anyone.
Aaron just looks slow on his feet reacting to shots. I think that's going to be the issue. I think coaches won't even allow their wrestlers to work top against Aaron. No reason to get reversed. It's going to be catch and release until Aaron proves he's ok in neutral.

I think the Lewis draw and his weight cut on 2nd morning session is very valid issue. I actually think some of the uneven performances this year for some guys is weight issues. I think Ramos and Woods might have weight issues. The 2nd day AM session will be very telling for some that are cutting hard.
Note.
I'm not sure, but Salazar looks to me that he would have weight issues. Did anyone else take notice of his pronounced eyebrow structure? 🤔

Last edited:
I think the Lewis draw and his weight cut on 2nd morning session is very valid issue. I actually think some of the uneven performances this year for some guys is weight issues. I think Ramos and Woods might have weight issues. I think that 2nd day AM session will be very telling for some of the kids are cutting hard.
Always has been. Alex Marinelli anyone?

Mitchell has the Golden draw. Starocci, Brooks, Kerk don’t matter. Mekhi got screwed.

Levi tough draw, Nagao worst draw, 125 everything is crazy, Bernie good draw. Beau tough 2nd round match with Matthews. Kasak ok draw

Can’t wait
VT & PSU season tix holder. Mekhi is one of my all time favorites. Very nice young man, but, no matter the draw, he wasn’t gonna get past Carter to get VT’s second ever individual natty.

Reactions: hlstone and ccdiver
Well, at the risk of being stoned, if Carter were at 100% he’d be as much of a no-doubter as possible in sports vs anyone. The question is at what percentage of full capacity will Carter be wrestling? 80%, 50%, less? I certainly hope it’s 80% or greater, but if it’s 50% or less vs Lewis then who knows what happens? Ok, let the stoning commence!
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: NoVaLion2
A work colleague in Little Rock (my company's HQ) says Nagao has no chance against Nasir and Crookham will sweat it, too. I begged to differ, but am now wary. Where the hell did LR come from?
Nasir is really good. That is a clear danger match for Nagao. Nagao can win if he puts it all together and wrestles his best, but from what I've seen so far this season, it would not surprise me for a second if Nasir does win.

Watch Cody Chuttum at 14 here. It went to 2nd OT against #5 Ryder Downey and he was the aggressor. Seems like a big spread for a 2UTB match.
Saw Meyer Shapiro live once this year and he was terrific. The guy is a ball of fire, but, as his overall record attests, he makes mistakes. His tourney gas tank is a big question. Just the same, I’d expect him in the finals vs Levi.

Reactions: diggerpup
I think the Lewis draw and his weight cut on 2nd morning session is very valid issue. I actually think some of the uneven performances this year for some guys is weight issues. I think Ramos and Woods might have weight issues. The 2nd day AM session will be very telling for some that are cutting hard.
Note.
I'm not sure, but Salazar looks to me that he would have weight issues. Did anyone else take notice of his pronounced eyebrow structure? 🤔
It got Carr on day 1 two years ago.

Reactions: ccdiver
When is the deadline for Griff to pull out?
That hopefully would separate Lewis and Carter.
The 8-9 2nd round winner faces #1 in th quarters, so Griffith withdrawing would allow Kemp to move up to 7 and avoid both Starocci and Lewis, but would still keep #8 Starocci on course for Lewis in the quarters (and screw whoever is currently 10).

Watch Cody Chuttum at 14 here. It went to 2nd OT against #5 Ryder Downey and he was the aggressor. Seems like a big spread for a 2UTB match.
Not only that, he lost in TB2 because he made a stupid mistake and got a penalty point for a third caution on the start, forcing him to cede the escape and try for a takedown in the 30 seconds, which he almost got (probably would have but ran out of time). Chittum is a dangerous 14 (and Downey is probably a little overrated at 5), but I consider Shapiro the favorite to survive that gauntlet. That half of 157 is almost as brutal as the Lewis-Starocci half of 174 or the KOT-Carr half of 165. Teemer is the one who really caught the brunt of it, staring down Zerban then Franek then Shapiro to make the finals as a 2 seed. Oof.

Reactions: diggerpup
In years past we PSU helps us being a large tournament structure, do you think that will hold true with this years cast?
And in years past Iowa is set up better for the smaller tournament structure such as Big's.. Do you think NCAA's structure will help or hurt Iowa this year??

In years past we PSU helps us being a large tournament structure, do you think that will hold true with this years cast?
And in years past Iowa is set up better for the smaller tournament structure such as Big's.. Do you think NCAA's structure will help or hurt Iowa this year??
Yes and yes. Larger field helps the team with top seeded/next topic guys as they generally wrestle to seed; hurts teams with a lot of 4-12 ranked guys as they may finish 2nd, 3rd,4th or so in a smaller, conference field, but get shuttled back in a larger field by guys who place between them and 1st.

All that you know. Our team has 3 next topic guys in Brooks, Kerk and Carter (if 90% +) and then another 3-4 guys who you just don’t see sliding too far.

Reactions: aalion
The Big Ten doesn't seem to dominate the brackets as much as usual.

Two years ago, the BIGS had 39 of the 80 AAs, and last year, 34. A quick scan of the brackets shows fewer than 30 Big Ten wrestlers with a 1-8 seed. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

What Chickenman said. Tournament scoring is weighted toward high AA finishes. If you have the biggest studs, your score will stand up to the bigger field. If not, your score will get diluted.

Plus: NCAAs is a 3d event, meaning extra rounds (both championship and consis). That's more ass-kicking when everybody is maximally motivated. Guys who end matches early get beat up a lot less. The guys who wrestle grind-out styles subject themselves to more wear and tear.

Also it's an extra day of weigh-ins. Guys with tougher cuts have it harder. PSU generally wrestles closer to natural weight. Don't know if that affects Iowa as much, but OKST for example is extra challenged.

Davis' path is NOT bad. Look around at the other top 4 guys.

Ramos has Surtin or Poulin in the second round. Both guys have been ranked top 5 this year. Noto, Sotello, Kaylor and Volk are in the other half of his quarter - OOOF.

Ayala has probably the easiest quarter on paper, but faces Spratley in the quarters. I'd rather Davis face McKee or Figueroa all day than Spratley.

Stanich gets DeAugustino or Smith in 2nd round - double OOF. Then maybe Camacho, but probably Barnett.

So, Davis got the 2nd best round of 16 draw out of the top 4 guys and the best quarter-draw out of anyone. Every draw at that weight looks tough because of the parity.
People on here saying Davis has a terrible draw is an opinion I don't get. Where the heck would you place him to satisfy these guys. Davis 2 losses are in bottom half. Obviously he's been in a lot of tight scraps but finds a way to win. If he faces Peterson again, stay out of upper body and put it to him this time with no controversy. I'm sure the coaches are working specifically with Daviss handling of all these shorter muscle mutts. Go gettem Braden!

Some of your % are insane.
For instance, you do realize that the odds of winning a 50/50 coin flip 3x in a row is only 12.5%.
Nothing insane about it, if you understand math.

I would probably place his odds of navigating that bracket 3x in a row at 12%. Think about it he has to win vs each opponent 3x with zero losses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT