ADVERTISEMENT

More From Brands On Recruiting

If I didn't constantly see the posts telling me how much I should respect Tom Brands for his contributions to the sport of wrestling, I would think he's a mouth-breather. I'm sure the reality is that he's somewhere in between, but he sure doesn't make it easy on himself.
Yes, sometimes he doesn't make it easy on himself. But at the same time, I can't forget watching him in college, in the Olympics, and Worlds, and admiring his no-quit, I'm coming after you approach. Some of the same things I'm trying to instill in my own son. I just think that he might be a tad bit in over his head with the current state of D1 wrestling. Then again, what the hell do I know?

Reactions: Bob_Anderson
this season on the HR has to be a trolls wet dream.

- worst scoring team in a decade at NCAAs
- worst scoring team in a decade at B10s
- 4 hawks at ISU and ISU on rebound
- 4 year recruiting cycle is meh
- possible dual losses to PSU, goofs, ok st, scUM, and maybe a surprise
- not finishing 1st at a very week midlands
- weekly beatings at multiple weights but mainly 125/133 where they have the best lite weight coaches in the land
- opo research being handled by wrestler parents
- Gman outburst
- PD3

I mean jeez that is off the top of my head with a major buzz on.

Yes, sometimes he doesn't make it easy on himself. But at the same time, I can't forget watching him in college, in the Olympics, and Worlds, and admiring his no-quit, I'm coming after you approach. Some of the same things I'm trying to instill in my own son. I just think that he might be a tad bit in over his head with the current state of D1 wrestling. Then again, what the hell do I know?
I'll be the first to admit I don't remember him wrestling for Olympics and Worlds because I wasn't really a wrestling fan back then. I wrested in Jr High in the early 90's. After that I focused on baseball and didn't look back. I followed PSU, and admired what Cael did during the same time I was in college. I've had season tickets since Cael was named the coach. To me, Tom Brands is Tom Smith. Imagine him being your boss at work...no thanks.

Reactions: funkisfun12
Yeah, I was young when Tom was relevant as a wrestler and I was in lawschool when he was winning titles as a coach, so my main knowledge of him has been somewhat recent. Between annually finishing behind PSU, refusing to wrestle VaTech, the fight night antics, his brother's constant antics during matches and now this...yawn. I don't hate the guy, I am sure he's nice enough but does another coach consistently do less with more than him?

Reactions: Bob_Anderson
this season on the HR has to be a trolls wet dream.

- weekly beatings at multiple weights but mainly 125/133 where they have the best lite weight coaches in the land
- Gman outburst
- PD3

I mean jeez that is off the top of my head with a major buzz on.
I really really wished I could still post there....

Reactions: purescurve
Brands mentions Larry Lee in his press conference and a few days later the haters are saying Larry is now running the show calling the shots. See how that works?
You really don’t find it strange for the head guy to come out and admit that a parent had to fill him in on what’s going on recruiting wise? Now reread the question. I’m asking if you think it’s strange he admitted it publicly not that a parent had to fill him in.

The fact that the staff was so out of touch to think that information about other teams' negative recruiting was Gold Intel had me shaking my head. But it was the "Ah-ha! Now we're onto them, so watch out for our rebound!" attitude that just had me feeling embarrassed for the guy. I seriously felt uncomfortable watching that, as I do appreciate Tom's accomplishments and contributions.

The fact that the staff was so out of touch to think that information about other teams' negative recruiting was Gold Intel had me shaking my head. But it was the "Ah-ha! Now we're onto them, so watch out for our rebound!" attitude that just had me feeling embarrassed for the guy. I seriously felt uncomfortable watching that, as I do appreciate Tom's accomplishments and contributions.
I agree with that and also appreciate his candor. Nothing coachspeaky about Tom. At the same time, the point of my (very) overstated doctor analogy from the other day was that in his candor, he kind of admitted a certain degree of negligence with respect to his job performance. There's a way to spin that you're "always learning, never satisfied," but that's distinct from "I just learned how I've been doing my job poorly after a recruit's dad gave me some papers." That's cringeworthy candor. And again, I like Tom and think he's good for the sport. But if he really believes his take, the smarter tact would've been to not show those cards to the world.

I agree with that and also appreciate his candor. Nothing coachspeaky about Tom. At the same time, the point of my (very) overstated doctor analogy from the other day was that in his candor, he kind of admitted a certain degree of negligence with respect to his job performance. There's a way to spin that you're "always learning, never satisfied," but that's distinct from "I just learned how I've been doing my job poorly after a recruit's dad gave me some papers." That's cringeworthy candor. And again, I like Tom and think he's good for the sport. But if he really believes his take, the smarter tact would've been to not show those cards to the world.

He definitely used Too Many Words.

Reactions: tikk10
The whole Larry Lee helicopter parent extraordinaire is creepy in my eyes. I'm guessing the recruiting process came down to finding a school that would give this guy full access to hang out at practice and guide the program. Brands has hit the super desperation button just to bring in a super talent. It is very easy to see why things could not have worked out for Lee at PSU. It is hard to imagine Cael wanting a parent to start leading the program through his micro managing of the recruiting process. Will every top recruit's parent now become involved in the program to this degree? Spencer was supposed to launch the program into a dominate recruiting position because everyone wanted to be on his team, but I wonder if some top recruits don't really want to wrestle somewhere that is counting on daddy to fix the problem.

Misters Lee and Suriano, recent inductees into the Helicopter Hall of Fame :)

That's unfortunate. I thought i might have a chance to straighten you out on a few things. I do thank you for the short straightforward response. I thought i was going to have to read through a 7 paragraph novel to get to the answer.

Maybe someday when the Ames Little Hawks arent coached by 4 Hawkeyes you will go back to your team. Until then im sure you will ride up front on the Lion wagon.

I won a couple state titles, wrestled on a top 5 D1 team, and coached another 12 years of high school wrestling, and you who never wrestled a day in your life are going "straighten me out" on a few things. ....again...no thanks.

Holy S***.

Once you write it out like this ... :eek:

- Gman outburst
- PD3

Reactions: hlstone
...admiring his no-quit, I'm coming after you approach. Some of the same things I'm trying to instill in my own son.
I think our kids would be much better served if we instill in them more gratitude, how to work smarter, not harder, and the value of a good education. That model seems to be working much better in today’s world.

Tom is a great guy, great wrestler and a great coach. He appears to have little self-awareness. This leads him to situations like this which leaves one wondering what is going on between the ears. Someone should get him to actually read the folder.......wait, I like Tom as is.

Reactions: diggerpup
Just an opinion. Obviously Tom is not Cael and the seperation just widens annually, but I think Brands is an excellent head coach. I hope he is still coaching Iowa a decade from now.

I try not to read to much into Spencer's comments. I think he is trying to answer the questions which are about him in a straight forward way. He may make a few mistakes (ie.....sauna vs locker room;))!

My dislike of the Brands brothers began when they first wrestled in Rec Hall and one went after Jimmy Martin or Kenny Chertow during their match. And to think of Terry's rant during a FS event in which he was coaching where he said he would take someone out and didn't care how big he was! However.....I have mellowed on them as Tom has calmed somewhat and his candor in interviews is both enlightening and refreshing:eek:

Anyone who thinks this "revelation" by Tom Brands is going to catapult Iowa back to the top is hallucinating. The only thing that is going to catapult Iowa back to the top is if Cael Sanderson, Tan Tom, and John Smith all retire.

The Hawkeye Report will continue to be filled with delusional idiots who pine for the days when Iowa was good enough to win the national championship. They'll continue to be a team who will be lucky to put one guy in the finals and even luckier if they win. They are a miserable and pathetic bunch of fans.

Anyone who thinks this "revelation" by Tom Brands is going to catapult Iowa back to the top is hallucinating. The only thing that is going to catapult Iowa back to the top is if Cael Sanderson, Tan Tom, and John Smith all retire.

The Hawkeye Report will continue to be filled with delusional idiots who pine for the days when Iowa was good enough to win the national championship. They'll continue to be a team who will be lucky to put one guy in the finals and even luckier if they win. They are a miserable and pathetic bunch of fans.
The Iowa wrestling team is much better at what they do then the personalities of HR.

Tom Brands is a much better wrestling coach than the HR crowd is at being enlightened, supportive and knowledgeable wrestling fans.

I sure hope PSU fans don't become like Iowa fans, but it may be to late for many.

I sure hope PSU fans don't become like Iowa fans, but it may be to late for many.

I'm sure you've been to the HR. It's filled with conspiracy theories of how Cael Sanderson pays athletes. It's the nut house. Nothing I've said is untrue and the way I've characterized the lunatics on HR is accurate.

I'm sure you've been to the HR. It's filled with conspiracy theories of how Cael Sanderson pays athletes. It's the nut house. Nothing I've said is untrue and the way I've characterized the lunatics on HR is accurate.
It's true. They've just voted themselves "The Best Wrestling Squad ....In Iowa.

Did the mods delete your post? And seriously, you can't leave that story told at 10%

No inside information here but I believe T&T will stay for five more years for sure...
Now this is just my thought, when they hang it up Mark Perry will be the next head coach at Iowa. I feel that is one main reason they got him to be head of HWC. He has coached at many places, comes from a great wrestling family his dad was a good coach. He has been the last big time wrestler at Iowa 4 time AA 2 time champ one second and one 3rd. Only lost 2 matches at nationals in his 4 years there.

No inside information here but I believe T&T will stay for five more years for sure...
Now this is just my thought, when they hang it up Mark Perry will be the next head coach at Iowa. I feel that is one main reason they got him to be head of HWC. He has coached at many places, comes from a great wrestling family his dad was a good coach. He has been the last big time wrestler at Iowa 4 time AA 2 time champ one second and one 3rd. Only lost 2 matches at nationals in his 4 years there.

I think 3 time finalist out of 3 years competing and Hodge trophy winner Brent Metcalf was the last big time wrestler. Perry was great. That loud mouth Gilman and his buddy Cory Clark were not too shabby themselves.

I thought David Taylor was gonna be the next head coach at Iowa? :p

Seriously--I'd be happy for DT if that happened, but I agree: TnT are there for a while longer regardless.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. Mr. Lee gave Iowa a binder containing all of Penn State's keys to success and Brands claims that he is going to implement this plan. Since Iowa claims that they do things the right way and never cheats, doesn't this prove that Penn State also does things the right way and never cheats?

Let me see if I understand this correctly. Mr. Lee gave Iowa a binder containing all of Penn State's keys to success and Brands claims that he is going to implement this plan. Since Iowa claims that they do things the right way and never cheats, doesn't this prove that Penn State also does things the right way and never cheats?

You don’t understand correctly. He doesn’t say he is trying to implement the plan and he doesn’t mention PSU at all.

You don’t understand correctly. He doesn’t say he is trying to implement the plan and he doesn’t mention PSU at all.

It's not everyday that a Head Coach is granted a 3 inch folder of Gold Intel.

I'm sure TnT need a few months to digest all of this & develop an action plan.

This is much too complex for your standard 2-hr Analysis.

True. It was a handful of HR posters who speculated about PSU being a member of the You Know Who Triad of Power bad-mouthing Brands to recruits.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
True. It was a handful of HR posters who speculated about PSU being a member of the You Know Who Triad of Power bad-mouthing Brands to recruits.
Right, and if Brands is such a "straight shooter" as they love to claim, he would say who "you know who" is. Surprised to see him stooping to that level to justify his poor recruiting efforts. Except for his #1 class that just rode into town of course.

Here's a good watch. I believe he sets a record for the number of times he says "me" or "I" in video. The first 40 seconds sums up one of the differences between what Brands and Cael are promoting. "What's good for ME."

https://iawrestle.com/2017/11/08/spencer-lee-iowa-media-day/
icctcL.gif

Who Me?

Right, and if Brands is such a "straight shooter" as they love to claim, he would say who "you know who" is. Surprised to see him stooping to that level to justify his poor recruiting efforts. Except for his #1 class that just rode into town of course.

Yeah, once he started on the rant and named his source, there really wasn't much point in refraining from naming You Know Who and You Know What. Unless the You Know What wasn't really as big a deal as he was making it out to be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT