ADVERTISEMENT

Most NCAA Wrestling Championships By Coach

matter7172

Nov 14, 2012
Was thinking about where Cael stacks up at this point. I feel like we are pretty close to him taking over the #1 spot.

Coaches With The Most Titles​

1. Dan Gable, Iowa - 15
  2. Ed Gallagher, Oklahoma State - 11
  3. Cael Sanderson, Penn State - 10
  4. Art Griffith, Oklahoma State - 8
  5. Myron Roderick, Oklahoma State - 7
  6. Harold Nichols, Iowa State - 6
  7. John Smith, Oklahoma State - 5
  8. Tom Brands, Iowa - 4
  9. Jim Zalesky, Iowa/J Robinson, Minnesota/Port Robertson, Oklahoma - 3
  10. Thomas Evans, Oklahoma/Gary Kurdelmeier, Iowa/Joe Seay, Oklahoma State - 2

Was thinking about where Cael stacks up at this point. I feel like we are pretty close to him taking over the #1 spot.

1. Dan Gable, Iowa - 15
  8. Tom Brands, Iowa - 4
Unless he decides he'd like a different type of challenge, it's only a matter of time.

1. Dan Gable, Iowa - 15
  8. Tom Brands, Iowa - 4
And his current pace for individual national champs I think has Cael passing Gable in two-ish years. I think.

All Americans….that 154 number below is incredible….averaging over 7 per year.

Wiki: 21 years of coaching.
Gable's teams compiled a dual meet record of 355–21–5. He coached 152 All-Americans, 45 national champions, 106 Big Ten champions, and 12 Olympians, including eight Olympic medalists. His teams won 21 Big Tenchampionships and 15 NCAA Division I titles.[9]

1. Dan Gable, Iowa - 15
  8. Tom Brands, Iowa - 4
My basic math skills say, in 5 years.

And his current pace for individual national champs I think has Cael passing Gable in two-ish years. I think.

Gable's teams compiled a dual meet record of 355–21–5. He coached 152 All-Americans, 45 national champions, 106 Big Ten champions, and 12 Olympians, including eight Olympic medalists. His teams won 21 Big Tenchampionships and 15 NCAA Division I titles.[9]
Was just working out that math, when I saw your message. 7.24 AA per year is amazing. Cael has had 8 twice and 7 twice.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany

1. Dan Gable, Iowa - 15
  8. Tom Brands, Iowa - 4
I was surprised Bobby Douglas didn't have a couple of titles. I knew he won one at Arizona State. Thought he had another one or two along the way.

Cael has coached 34 individual champs at Penn State and 2 champs at Iowa State, so his total is 36 individual champs coached. I think it'll be 4 years to pass Gable's 45 champs but Cael does have a barn full of horses so we'll see. More data will be available on March 23rd. :)

Cael has coached 34 individual champs at Penn State and 2 champs at Iowa State, so his total is 36 individual champs coached. I think it'll be 4 years to pass Gable's 45 champs but Cael does have a barn full of horses so we'll see. More data will be available on March 23rd. :)
Probably right. I was thinking to tie, and 3, 3, 3 or 4, 3, 2 get that done. But, to break it, expecting ten champs in three seasons seems tough. HOWEVER, the three year periods since 2016, excluding 2020, have seen 11, 12, 11, 12, and 11.

I few breaks this year and Cael could tie or catch Gable. 9 NCAA Champs to tie, 10 to pass Gable.

For those of you in Central PA who would like a chance to hear Dan Gable, he’s going to be in Lisburn, PA on May 30 as guest speaker for the Wrestling for Outdoors Leadership Dinner.

For those of you in Central PA who would like a chance to hear Dan Gable, he’s going to be in Lisburn, PA on May 30 as guest speaker for the Wrestling for Outdoors Leadership Dinner.

I’ll add that I’m rooting as hard as anyone for Cael to surpass Gable…but that won’t diminish the legendary coaching career he had imo.

Coaches With The Most Titles
  1. Dan Gable, Iowa - 15
  8. Tom Brands, Iowa - 4

If my math is right, it looks like Cael and Gable are leading the way on frequency of national team titles.
  • Gable: 15 in 21 seasons as a HC, or 1 every 1.40 years.
  • Gallagher: 11 in 24 seasons as a HC, or 1 every 2.18 years
  • Cael: 10 in 14 seasons as a HC, or 1 every 1.40 years
  • Griffith: 8 in 13 seasons as a HC, or 1 every 1.62 years
  • Roderick: 7 in 13 seasons as a HC, or 1 every 1.85 years
  • Smith: 5 in 33 seasons as a HC, or 1 every 6.60 years
  • Brands: 4 in 20 seasons as a HC, or 1 every 5 years
  • Zalesky: 3 in 27 seasons as a HC, or 1 every 9 years
So, in the next 10 years Cael should easily have another 15-20 national TEAM titles. WE ARE!!

🤪

If my math is right, it looks like Cael and Gable are leading the way on frequency of national team titles.
So, in the next 10 years Cael should easily have another 15-20 national TEAM titles. WE ARE!!

🤪
Cael was head coach of ISU for three years. Oh, wait, wrestling wasn't even invented until Cael got here. Carry on.

🤪
The 2020 season can not be counted in such a comparison. Cael has 10 in 13 years or every 1.3 years.

Reactions: District four
4 years to get 10 more titles?? yeah that's a safe bet

#youseriousbro

1. Dan Gable, Iowa - 15
  8. Tom Brands, Iowa - 4

More than just total number, it's how many years at that program it took to generate them. After this year, Cael will have won 11 Titles in first 13 years at PSU - would assume that's already a record (Gable won his 11th @Iowa in 1991, his 16th year at Iowa).

Cael will beat that next yr!

Technically you would have to include his 3 years at Iowa state.

Not really, fastest to 11 at one program. List all the other programs Gable or Gallagher won titles at.... It took Gable 16 years to win 11 Titles at Iowa, it will have taken Cael only 13 years at PSU to win 11.

1. Dan Gable, Iowa - 15
  8. Tom Brands, Iowa - 4
If shirts were already printed, does that give J. Robinson 4? Asking for a friend…

Reactions: tack8
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT