ADVERTISEMENT

More From Brands On Recruiting

images

"I said we're having a blast, you f*n-loving you-know-what!"

This is #fakenews. Nothing different than what has been the perception of Iowa for years and Brands basically acknowledged this a few years ago when he began mocking the "robot" thing.

Honestly, the only thing striking about this whole thing is that Larry Lee is compiling a folder about things that were said about Iowa during the recruiting process, and then is presenting it to Brands in an attempt, I guess, to contribute his input on how recruiting at Iowa can improve. And that Brands would state this in public.
w8wut.gif

Guess now we know the price of that gig Mr. Lee got in Iowa ;)

Kidding

Last edited:
So now we know where Brands was getting his info about recruiting top kids...

I like Tom Brands - he reminds me of a former HS coach, not the brightest bulb on the tree, but tons of passion and competitiveness (especially the way he talks like he's had 10 cups of coffee, a six-pack of Jolt and a case of Red Bull before the Press Conference). The one thing about TB, I never know wtf he's talking about - this video being a classic example. What is he intimating that "people are saying about him" and Squack Wrestling that was impacting recruiting so dramatically? (he seems to imply some type of "negative recruiting" going on against him, but is quite obtuse in his accusation - granted this may just be due to the fact that he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed). Ultimately, he strongly implies that people have been saying that wrestling at Iowa is no fun.....you are asked to be a robot at Iowa....etc...

Are we really supposed to believe that Tom Brands promoting how much fun they are having at Iowa and promoting how much they let wrestlers exhibit their personalities is going to fix Iowa recruiting and wrestling??? I'm mystified at what a big deal he makes of this statement with an utter lack of substance and content.....and a comical explanation as to what is going to "fix" Iowa wrestling for the future, make it dominant again and close the massive gap that exists between it and PSU.

Reactions: lionlover
I really like Tom, but Terry still gets on my nerves. I do think Tom came off kind of douchey talking about the "dossier" Larry Lee gave him on "negative" recruiting. If you need a high school kids father to give you a file on what some coaches are saying aboutyou and your program then you must have had your head buried in the sand. Negative recruiting has been going on since recruiting started. I also don't think they are just going to snap their fingers and everything is going to be alright in regards to recruiting. HR directs all of their attention to Cael and PSU, but there are others teams out there that are recruiting better than Iowa. The scary part is that PSU has yet to put out a full line up without a few "holes" in it since Cael has been here.

His words were quoted in another thread and I didn't think much of them...in print. The animated Brands in this video puts it in a different context. I'm a Brands' fan, but this makes him look completely out of touch, even after a decade plus of leading arguably the most successful D1 program of the modern era. Frankly, I'm surprised.

Agree with this, particularly the words in red above. When talking about the Larry Lee "gold intel" and negative recruiting, Brands appears foolish, naive, and just sort of in over his head. I think he would have been better served not mentioning this stuff publicly.

From his actions, demeanor and words in that video, I get the opinion that if Brands never won NCs for Iowa, he would have ended up a gym teacher at some middle school in rural Iowa.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

That sums it up rather nicely. :eek::oops:

The number of schools that are clearly cheating according to the majority on HR is up to 5 - us, Bucks, Cowboys, Michigan and Cornell.

According to Gable-insider bbwretler, Iowa’s compliance department operates totally differently than the obviously corrupt departments of other top schools. Surely he’s used the Kroll Group and Black Cube to do his research.

The number of schools that are clearly cheating according to the majority on HR is up to 5 - us, Bucks, Cowboys, Michigan and Cornell.

According to Gable-insider bbwretler, Iowa’s compliance department operates totally differently than the obviously corrupt departments of other top schools. Surely he’s used the Kroll Group and Black Cube to do his research.

I've had a few go's with bbwretler as he has posted inaccurate info on more than one occasion (of course, then backtracked and later characterized as misinterpreted) - information that is commonly opined inaccurately on message boards AND in and around college wrestling rooms (seriously, and I'm not just talking about Iowa), but is pretty easy to be factual about if you are interested in becoming knowledgeable about it. His information is two decades old accurate and probably supplemented by the in and around referenced above.

Reactions: diggerpup
The whole Larry Lee helicopter parent extraordinaire is creepy in my eyes. I'm guessing the recruiting process came down to finding a school that would give this guy full access to hang out at practice and guide the program. Brands has hit the super desperation button just to bring in a super talent. It is very easy to see why things could not have worked out for Lee at PSU. It is hard to imagine Cael wanting a parent to start leading the program through his micro managing of the recruiting process. Will every top recruit's parent now become involved in the program to this degree? Spencer was supposed to launch the program into a dominate recruiting position because everyone wanted to be on his team, but I wonder if some top recruits don't really want to wrestle somewhere that is counting on daddy to fix the problem.

The whole Larry Lee helicopter parent extraordinaire is creepy in my eyes. I'm guessing the recruiting process came down to finding a school that would give this guy full access to hang out at practice and guide the program. Brands has hit the super desperation button just to bring in a super talent. It is very easy to see why things could not have worked out for Lee at PSU. It is hard to imagine Cael wanting a parent to start leading the program through his micro managing of the recruiting process. Will every top recruit's parent now become involved in the program to this degree? Spencer was supposed to launch the program into a dominate recruiting position because everyone wanted to be on his team, but I wonder if some top recruits don't really want to wrestle somewhere that is counting on daddy to fix the problem.
This is the definition of blowing smoke out of your ass. Just saying

Just wondering if these thoughts came to mind when Jordan Rogers was a WA resident and Chandler enrolled at Stilly High.

I was not aware that Smith had the Jordan father advising him on recruiting? Did this happen? The major changes at Iowa as of late are a new recruiting philosophy which has been credited to the Lee folder and the goal of building a great stand alone facility (again credited to Larry Lee for commenting on how Coe will have a better facility than Iowa). Iowa has a new leader it would appear and his name isn't Tom Brands. I don't doubt for a minute that Larry Lee has great ideas and has helped identify some of the many problems in the program, and by that same line of thought I have concluded Cael didn't have the same need for a new leader to emerge from parental ranks. Simple really.

I was not aware that Smith had the Jordan father advising him on recruiting? Did this happen? The major changes at Iowa as of late are a new recruiting philosophy which has been credited to the Lee folder and the goal of building a great stand alone facility (again credited to Larry Lee for commenting on how Coe will have a better facility than Iowa). Iowa has a new leader it would appear and his name isn't Tom Brands. I don't doubt for a minute that Larry Lee has great ideas and has helped identify some of the many problems in the program, and by that same line of thought I have concluded Cael didn't have the same need for a new leader to emerge from parental ranks. Simple really.
The smoke is turning into fire

Wait, wasn't Iowa ranked number 1 in recruiting for the latest incoming class?

So the negative recruiting wasn't working then, but it is working now? Or is the negative recruiting angle a convenient excuse to feed a frustrated fan base?
ding..ding..ding..we have a winner! I prefer the term bitter to frustrated but semantics aside you have nailed it!

We should meet up sometime James. Have a cup of coffee and talk about some things.

Wait, wasn't Iowa ranked number 1 in recruiting for the latest incoming class?

So the negative recruiting wasn't working then, but it is working now? Or is the negative recruiting angle a convenient excuse to feed a frustrated fan base?

Larry Lee did the recruiting for last year's class. Otherwise, the negative recruiting has worked.

I must decline as I don't find you all that interesting.
That's unfortunate. I thought i might have a chance to straighten you out on a few things. I do thank you for the short straightforward response. I thought i was going to have to read through a 7 paragraph novel to get to the answer.

Maybe someday when the Ames Little Hawks arent coached by 4 Hawkeyes you will go back to your team. Until then im sure you will ride up front on the Lion wagon.

I'm a pretty big Brands fan right now. His long term employment at Iowa helps to ensure the continued dominance of PSU, and the resurgence of programs like Minnesota, Iowa State and Michigan.
I agree. And when he negotiates his next contract, he needs to make sure his assistants and Larry Lee are taken care of like Cael did for his guys.

Reactions: funkisfun12
Brands mentions Larry Lee in his press conference and a few days later the haters are saying Larry is now running the show calling the shots. See how that works?

That's unfortunate. I thought i might have a chance to straighten you out on a few things. I do thank you for the short straightforward response. I thought i was going to have to read through a 7 paragraph novel to get to the answer.

Maybe someday when the Ames Little Hawks arent coached by 4 Hawkeyes you will go back to your team. Until then im sure you will ride up front on the Lion wagon.
Wow, that was extremely petty, cheap, and nasty. Especially considering that almost all of Iowa's success came about because of one of those Ames Little Hawks. Up to now I thought you had been a very good poster but you are really making yourself look bad with these latest posts. JMHO.

Brands mentions Larry Lee in his press conference and a few days later the haters are saying Larry is now running the show calling the shots. See how that works?
Too obvious (and not serious) response: And hawk fans deny it.

Wow, that was extremely petty, cheap, and nasty. Especially considering that almost all of Iowa's success came about because of one of those Ames Little Hawks. Up to now I thought you had been a very good poster but you are really making yourself look bad with these latest posts. JMHO.
Overeaction on your part IMO. I've lived in Iowa all my life as a Hawkfan. Im talking about ISU no differently than many here do about Pitt. You would understand better if you lived where i do.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany

When you can supply intel gold that the current staff cannot seem to find anywhere, you land yourself a spot on the Dream Team.

But seriously, who does that? I like Tom, but not a good look.
I agree. Not very well thought out by Brands. I admire Tom for his contributions to the sport, his dedication, and his intensity. I also agree with the sentiment that maybe Tom isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, and comments like that are detrimental to the program's image, and in the end, recruiting. Hey, potential recruits and parents hear that, and have to wonder if that is the place for them. Hence, I am pushing for a 10 year contract extension for Tom Brands.

I agree. Not very well thought out by Brands. I admire Tom for his contributions to the sport, his dedication, and his intensity. I also agree with the sentiment that maybe Tom isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, and comments like that are detrimental to the program's image, and in the end, recruiting. Hey, potential recruits and parents hear that, and have to wonder if that is the place for them. Hence, I am pushing for a 10 year contract extension for Tom Brands.
If I didn't constantly see the posts telling me how much I should respect Tom Brands for his contributions to the sport of wrestling, I would think he's a mouth-breather. I'm sure the reality is that he's somewhere in between, but he sure doesn't make it easy on himself.

Reactions: LHavenlion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT