ADVERTISEMENT

More From Brands On Recruiting

Can you appreciate and recognize the massive hypocrisy that is occurring in this thread?

No. Brands showed some serious naivete about the recruiting game, and we're poking fun. Lee accidently talked about sauna use, and we're poking fun.

I do find it ironic, though, that someone from HR is taking such offense to some PSU fans deriding the head coach of the Hawkeyes and claiming a rules violation by the team. You should be furious!

Many great competitors have trouble being gracious in defeat. Did DT lose some of my respect for his Worlds tweet? Indeed. But I'm loyal, and short of actual cheating, I'll always be a fan. His passion makes him who he is.

I guess in a purely technical point of view, letting your wrestlers go in a sauna is cheating, perhaps even dangerous. But I don't expect Hawkeye fans to abandon their coach over it.

You sure are a persistent soul, unreasonably so. Just came from HR where you, without cause, went after NittanyChris for an innocent post. Your posts speak volumes, so I'll leave it at that.

Roar, he's just upset that he has now been lumped in with the likes of Togs, Guns, and others.

I believe an investigation is in order...calling Togs, Vodka, guns, and the rest of the oversight committee to spring into action. Mo, Curly, and Larry too, if available ;).

Slush do you know any screenwriters?

Still working on a way to get Emily, Sarah, Roseanne, and Rachel into the plot . . .

. . . along with a banana peel and hula hoop, of course.

Don't worry, Vodka -- I won't paint you in quite the same light as Togs and Guns. Maybe as an apprentice . . . or perhaps as Emily's strange ex-boyfriend.

This thread is a fcking laugh. Did you all forget so quickly about Cael throwing a chair onto the mat like it's the WWE and DT having a childish tantrum after losing to a one legged J'Den Cox?

You wanna shit talk Gman at fight night, yet no one calls out DT for acting like that?

Quit the self-righteous holier than thou act.
Kettle screaming at pot.
Did you know drinking too much vodka can lead to the body inefficiently processing and disposing of ammonia which can lead to kettle screaming at pot moments.

Just saying.

Reactions: diggerpup
You sure are a persistent soul, unreasonably so. Just came from HR where you, without cause, went after NittanyChris for an innocent post.

Your posts speak volumes, so I'll leave it at that.

How did I go after him? He asked about Spencer Lee redshirting this year which has been discussed in about every single thread on the front page. If that's going after him, then I'm a dick I guess. My bad.

And I generally think you're one of the most reasonable posters here. I agree with your post. My response wasn't directed at you, but all of these other posters playing the holier than thou card.

Vodka,
Get use to it. Every year you guys fall farther and farther behind. The farther you slip the more angrier, more far-fetched and more persistent you guys at HR get with your Cael/PSU attacks. Also, the mote fantastic you get with just wait until next year, which hilariously has morphed into just wait for a couple years.

So as you call school after school to talk about NCAA compliance, and shed actual wet tears about your current place in division 1 wrestling hierarchy and just slam the program towering over your program - it should not surprise you, nor anger you that this board pokes fun and laughs its collective ass off at your collective board's struggle to come to the self-realization you are currently struggling to remain at the bottom of the upper tier.

I found a picture of Vodka on the interwebs. Seems to be his constant state of mind. :)
angry-old-man-with-computer.jpg

You guys can attack me all day to protect your egos. I don't take offense to ad hominem attacks on an internet message board. If I did I wouldn't enter the lions den. Doesn't change the fact you spent 4 pages circle jerking each other mocking Brands and Gilman while Cael is tossing chairs (at least put some effort into it if you're going to do it) and DT is crying on twitter from home and stamping around on the mat after failing to take down a 1 legged wrestler.

Once that glaring hypocrisy is pointed out and there is no reasonable counter defense, it becomes lets throw ad homs at Vodka instead of maybe recognize how ridiculous this thread is.

I wouldn't be over here pointing those things out if it wasn't for the absurdity that I read through 4 pages in this thread.

Brands comments on negative recruiting weren't directed at PSU from my understanding. Go watch the Lee commitment video by CP where he mentions negative recruiting. Why the hyper defensiveness as if he was attacking PSU? If I recall he stated he had nothing but respect for Cael.

You guys can attack me all day to protect your egos. I don't take offense to ad hominem attacks on an internet message board. If I did I wouldn't enter the lions den. Doesn't change the fact you spent 4 pages circle jerking each other mocking Brands and Gilman while Cael is tossing chairs (at least put some effort into it if you're going to do it) and DT is crying on twitter from home and stamping around on the mat after failing to take down a 1 legged wrestler.

Once that glaring hypocrisy is pointed out and there is no reasonable counter defense, it becomes lets throw ad homs at Vodka instead of maybe recognize how ridiculous this thread is.

I wouldn't be over here pointing those things out if it wasn't for the absurdity that I read through 4 pages in this thread.

Brands comments on negative recruiting weren't directed at PSU from my understanding. Go watch the Lee commitment video by CP where he mentions negative recruiting. Why the hyper defensiveness as if he was attacking PSU? If I recall he stated he had nothing but respect for Cael.
pq8ku.jpg

Can you please provide another instance of Cael's behavior other than the chair toss? Cael is one of the most even keeled people in wrestling so for him to be upset and show discontent over a ,in my opinion, blown call to make a world team, I'll give him a pass and think that he most likely reacted in the heat of the moment. That's one instance that you keep bringing up compared to how many instances of, we'll just say, "the Iowa crew". It's pathetic the lengths you go to on an opposing teams board to convince them you are right. Just stop and go back with the other crazies on HR so we can focus on relevant wrestling topics.

P.S. think of this as your bartender yelling out "Last Call"

Reactions: PSUer1989
How did I go after him? He asked about Spencer Lee redshirting this year which has been discussed in about every single thread on the front page. If that's going after him, then I'm a dick I guess. My bad.

And I generally think you're one of the most reasonable posters here. I agree with your post. My response wasn't directed at you, but all of these other posters playing the holier than thou card.
Thank you.

200.gif

Can you please provide another instance of Cael's behavior other than the chair toss?
"
Well how about all those times in the past 7 years he has gone up in front of everybody and collected those NCAA and B1G team championship trophies without even once asking Tom and Terry if they would like to hold it?

. . . Brands comments on negative recruiting weren't directed at PSU from my understanding. Go watch the Lee commitment video by CP where he mentions negative recruiting. Why the hyper defensiveness as if he was attacking PSU? If I recall he stated he had nothing but respect for Cael.

You're jumping to false conclusions. Who here said Brands was pointing the finger at PSU for negative recruiting? In fact, it was pointed out here explicitly that he couldn't have been, based on a prior account by Lee.

The identities of You Know Who, You Know Who, and You Know Who did not have any bearing on the general commentary here that (a) Brands was out of touch in the recruiting game for too long, and (b) his rant about Gold Intel was a bad look for the Hawkeye program.

Throw in some sauna comments by a top recruit, and the comedy continues.

The "hyper defensiveness" is all you.

Well how about all those times in the past 7 years he has gone up in front of everybody and collected those NCAA and B1G team championship trophies without even once asking Tom and Terry if they would like to hold it?

I knew I had forgotten about something :)

Reactions: nitlion6
Well, Ryan did let Brands hold his trophy.

DSC_2834-228.jpg
That explains why despite the Bucknuts being so far ahead of the Hawks, the hawk faithful are more tolerant of the BuckNuts. Ohio State occasionally lets them believe they have a shot.

Reactions: slushhead
The identities of You Know Who, You Know Who, and You Know Who did not have any bearing on the general commentary here that (a) Brands was out of touch in the recruiting game for too long, and (b) his rant about Gold Intel was a bad look for the Hawkeye program.

Who was talking about negative recruiting prior to Lee pointing it out during his recruiting process? I don't recall Flo or any other coach mentioning it. I guess the coaches that were engaging in it, knew about it. But for it to be an open widespread knowledge? Well from the sounds of it, quite a few coaches were doing it so maybe it was widespread. I don't see how that reflects poorly on Brands though. Shouldn't the conclusion be that these other coaches are scumbags instead of Brands is a complete obtuse idiot for not knowing it was occurring at the intensity it was/is?

Can you please provide another instance of Cael's behavior other than the chair toss? Cael is one of the most even keeled people in wrestling so for him to be upset and show discontent over a ,in my opinion, blown call to make a world team, I'll give him a pass and think that he most likely reacted in the heat of the moment. That's one instance that you keep bringing up compared to how many instances of, we'll just say, "the Iowa crew". It's pathetic the lengths you go to on an opposing teams board to convince them you are right. Just stop and go back with the other crazies on HR so we can focus on relevant wrestling topics.

P.S. think of this as your bartender yelling out "Last Call"
Your right. Their are a whole lot of wrestling experts who said that the referee was horrible and that DT got robbed. That does not excuse Cael or DT's response to the loss but does add perspective. As you said, where are other example's of Cael losing his cool? Plenty examples of the Brands boys antics during matches.

Iowa is currently a second rate power in college wrestling, who cares what their fans think or believe.

Regarding Larry Lee's recruiting folder, is Brands really that clueless that a parent has to show him what is going wrong on the recruiting trail? Or is that some lame act? Either way, not a good look for the Iowa program. Who cares if your opponents negative recruit you, it really comes down to selling what you have to offer. The Sandusky scandal did not harm PSU recruiting by Cael.

Reactions: pawrest01
Who was talking about negative recruiting prior to Lee pointing it out during his recruiting process? I don't recall Flo or any other coach mentioning it. I guess the coaches that were engaging in it, knew about it. But for it to be an open widespread knowledge? Well from the sounds of it, quite a few coaches were doing it so maybe it was widespread. I don't see how that reflects poorly on Brands though. Shouldn't the conclusion be that these other coaches are scumbags instead of Brands is a complete obtuse idiot for not knowing it was occurring at the intensity it was/is?
Maybe Brands should focus on selling what Iowa has to offer instead of worrying about negative recruiting by others. Negative recruiting is widespread in every sport and has been for a long time. Just imagine what PSU football recruiting has had to deal with the last 6 years even before that with an 70+ year old coach.

Having Brands say that Larry Lee pointed it out to him is not a good look for the Iowa program, plenty of negative material right there. The Iowa Coach does not even know what his opponents are doing.

Your right. Their are a whole lot of wrestling experts who said that the referee was horrible and that DT got robbed. That does not excuse Cael or DT's response to the loss but does add perspective. As you said, where are other example's of Cael losing his cool? Plenty examples of the Brands boys antics during matches.

Iowa is currently a second rate power in college wrestling, who cares what their fans think or believe.

Regarding Larry Lee's recruiting folder, is Brands really that clueless that a parent has to show him what is going wrong on the recruiting trail? Or is that some lame act? Either way, not a good look for the Iowa program. Who cares if your opponents negative recruit you, it really comes down to selling what you have to offer. The Sandusky scandal did not harm PSU recruiting by Cael.
Instead of second rate, I like Iowa is at the very bottom of the top tier. Struggling mightily to stay there too. If the ship isn't righted after this season, second rate power might become the new Hawk standard.

This is fun isn't it?

I guess I should have clarified that I 100 percent think that was not the classiest of moves by Cael and the chair but I am quick to give him a pass because of situation/past classiness/how he has been since. Brands and class should not be uttered in the same sentence. I respect Tom Brands as a competitor and somewhat as a coach, but Terry ruins the whole thing for me. I think Terry telling Clark to throw him after his finals match last year might have been the icing on the cake for me.

The recruiting comments by Brands are embarrassing and if Cael would ever give an interview like that, I would immediately be skeptical of his leadership. Tom Ryan is another example of how a leader of a program should not act. The most recent example comes to mind when PSU lost Big Tens to Ohio State and when probed about the loss Cael's response was simple.. I believe it was something like "they outwrestled us".. When one of OSU wrestlers lose it was because of an injury or poor officiating. When Iowa is no longer a top 5 team it's because everyone is picking on Brands and/or cheating. Shut up and coach. I guess we should be glad that they haven't figured it out yet.

Reactions: nitlion6

Any coach who is supposedly competing for national championships in Division 1 athletics absolutely knows negative recruiting goes on. If that same coach decides to tell his fanbase in a press conference that it caught him off guard only one of two things are possible. Either he or his fanbase are the most naive and gullible people in the world. You get to pick whichever one suits your needs.

Any coach who is supposedly competing for national championships in Division 1 athletics absolutely knows negative recruiting goes on. If that same coach decides to tell his fanbase in a press conference that it caught him off guard only one of two things are possible. Either he or his fanbase are the most naive and gullible people in the world. You get to pick whichever one suits your needs.
If one assumes HR is diverse enough to give a fairly accurate picture of an average Iowa wrestling fan and if the same one has read HR more than occasionally it is easy enough to figure out which one fits that description.

What the world needs now is love more love.
Can't we some way get along I know I have been a ass a few times but wtf I'm Irish and that seems to come natural..Really no sense is this kind of stuff to keep going on...At the present time and with what you have coming in from this last class you will continue to be at the top or close..So enjoy it..I remember the years of Gable and everyone hated us and yes it was hard but we had to live with it..

Last edited:
Reactions: goethe14
I hate to go back to the original topic, but I just want to give my opinion of Brands. He is intense. He is honest. He is the kind of guy you find in a small town who is not afraid to admit his weaknesses and does not worry what others think of him. Apparently he is starting to worry, but I think is realizing that his little world needs to get bigger.

Being honest in a small town is a sign of respect and friendship. Your friends do not have to guess what you mean or figure it out. Your words mean exactly what they are. Nothing hidden. It is a dying trait.

Calling someone a "jap" with no animosity is common in a small town when I grew up. Now it is used to let people know how uncivilized and crude you are. (not that Brands did that- but it makes the point) Having a guy throw you after winning a NC is no big deal in a small town. Only people who sit around and pontificate and theorize and criticize find flaws in that type of behavior.

When Title 9 first came about, a lot of programs were cut that had coaches who just wanted to be in the practice room. Now that is not enough. You have to be a citizen of the community, stand up for all kinds of PC causes, (breast cancer is a good one), get donors, give speeches, and who knows what else. That is not Brand's personality and they have slipped because of it. He loves wrestling and unfortunately he has to do more than that to be a head coach at a major university.

He loves Iowa City, U of I, and wrestling so much that he can't even imagine other people don't feel that way. He is starting to realize that he has to be a bit of a salesman and being a salesman is not a slimy profession. He has had so much success with his style of wrestling that he is having a hard time realizing that he needs to change and his style needs to change. His hatred of losing will eventually get him to that point, if he is not already there by now.

Most importantly Tom Brands cares about his wrestlers and he wants what is best for them. Is Tom Brands the sharpest knife in the drawer? Probably not, but he is pretty damn sharp and if you let his straightforward honest approach to a conversation fool you, well don't say you weren't warned.

JMHO

I hate to go back to the original topic, but I just want to give my opinion of Brands. He is intense. He is honest. He is the kind of guy you find in a small town who is not afraid to admit his weaknesses and does not worry what others think of him. Apparently he is starting to worry, but I think is realizing that his little world needs to get bigger.

Being honest in a small town is a sign of respect and friendship. Your friends do not have to guess what you mean or figure it out. Your words mean exactly what they are. Nothing hidden. It is a dying trait.

Calling someone a "jap" with no animosity is common in a small town when I grew up. Now it is used to let people know how uncivilized and crude you are. (not that Brands did that- but it makes the point) Having a guy throw you after winning a NC is no big deal in a small town. Only people who sit around and pontificate and theorize and criticize find flaws in that type of behavior.

When Title 9 first came about, a lot of programs were cut that had coaches who just wanted to be in the practice room. Now that is not enough. You have to be a citizen of the community, stand up for all kinds of PC causes, (breast cancer is a good one), get donors, give speeches, and who knows what else. That is not Brand's personality and they have slipped because of it. He loves wrestling and unfortunately he has to do more than that to be a head coach at a major university.

He loves Iowa City, U of I, and wrestling so much that he can't even imagine other people don't feel that way. He is starting to realize that he has to be a bit of a salesman and being a salesman is not a slimy profession. He has had so much success with his style of wrestling that he is having a hard time realizing that he needs to change and his style needs to change. His hatred of losing will eventually get him to that point, if he is not already there by now.

Most importantly Tom Brands cares about his wrestlers and he wants what is best for them. Is Tom Brands the sharpest knife in the drawer? Probably not, but he is pretty damn sharp and if you let his straightforward honest approach to a conversation fool you, well don't say you weren't warned.

JMHO
Truth....Tom Brands makes the MAJORITY of wrestlers who go to Iowa end up hating the sport.....Of course he would never admit that but just ask guys who have wrestled for him...That is a fact. Thank God we have Cael Sanderson who is just an incredible human being on and off the mat !!!!

ADVERTISEMENT