ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Michigan State Dual Thread

I've heard from a reliable source that Levi got himself a girlfriend.
Very Funny Thank You GIF by Taylor Swift

Hey, kids keep growing. Cael hinted to Haines not being long for 157 last season. The cut this season could be a bigger struggle than anticipated.

He also looked a little pale but that doesn't explain the multi match questions being raised.

I know 157 is the weaker weight but I was surprised when we didn't see MM at 157 and Levi move up to 165 this year. Maybe Facundo could handle Levi but not Mitch? We'll never know.

I certainly think that either the weight cut or some longer term illness like mono could be in play here, as opposed to injury. That's nothing but irresponsible speculation on my part. No doubt it's couch potatoes like us expecting that 2nd year jump, where Levi would cut through all comers like a knife through hot butter. We are far too spoiled.

There is plenty of time left in the dual season and I don't see any losses on that resume. Is something off? I am open to maybe, but a win is a win no matter the script.

Can we just admit that overtime outside of tournaments, where someone HAS to win and advance, has been a miserable failure of an experiment? Let's go back to ties in dual meets.

I don't know. You know what ties are like..... Though we've seen a few ties win matches. It's evolved over the decades. I like to think they have something workable finally. Certainly more exciting for the fans.

Well consider yourself lucky you didn’t have to listen to the BTN+ broadcast
That would have been entertaining if not so stressful. Not sure who had less control of the happenings in the Levi match - the refs or the announcers. Glad I listened to Beyers.

Not really. You basically said "you can't say he's hurt and not give details." I'm saying, if he's hurt, it sure isn't anything obvious. Plus I got tied up watching Sanford and Son.
Yes really. You didn't go back far enough in the thread.

"wouldn't have been the worst thing to happen had Levi lost. He's wrestling slightly tighter than he did last year, and this match might actually help him wrestle more freely than what he has been wrestling so far this year."

You must have edited to include the ankle stall. Go back and watch the replay. If you don't see Levi turn back into Saldate twice (at which time the ref stopped the count) I'll have to conclude you are blind.
And just for preciseness for anyone wondering about the rule application, it was not the turning back in by Levi that stopped the count, but the fact Levi stood up to do it, thus stopping the drop-down count. If Levi had not stood up, the stalling call on MSU would have occurred several seconds earlier.

Hey, kids keep growing. Cael hinted to Haines not being long for 157 last season. The cut this season could be a bigger struggle than anticipated.

He also looked a little pale but that doesn't explain the multi match questions being raised.

I know 157 is the weaker weight but I was surprised when we didn't see MM at 157 and Levi move up to 165 this year. Maybe Facundo could handle Levi but not Mitch? We'll never know.

I certainly think that either the weight cut or some longer term illness like mono could be in play here, as opposed to injury. That's nothing but irresponsible speculation on my part. No doubt it's couch potatoes like us expecting that 2nd year jump, where Levi would cut through all comers like a knife through hot butter. We are far too spoiled.

There is plenty of time left in the dual season and I don't see any losses on that resume. Is something off? I am open to maybe, but a win is a win no matter the script.
And I'll ask again, if Levi is having so much trouble making 157, wonder why Cael wouldn't have put Mitch there and move Levi to 165. Both Mitch and Ben said he could go either before the season started.

To me, Levi doesn't look hurt, he looks like he is cutting too much weight and he doesn't have the strength or stamina that he had last year. Kinda like Caleb Young for Iowa , he cut so much weight he got worse every year he was on the team.
He just wrestled for 11 minutes today. He's got plenty of stamina.

Actually, I can. I’m under no obligation to share anything.
Something has certainly seemed off. However, if it has been a problem for a while, it's not like they don't have other options around that weight. They could have done some maneuvering so Haines had time to address the problem and not unnecessarily burn a year while compromised.

Agree. I've never seen a TB period stall called on top-man except on a rule-specified call [i.e., 5 count, etc....]. Those who have said "stalling is stalling regardless when it happens" are being disingenuous regarding how it is called during TBs (rideouts, stallouts.... whatever you want to call them) - just as you have said, I've seen TBs where a bottom wrestler has been run off the mat repeatedly after standing, no call. I've seen guys take Neutral after riding someone out and literally run away from the other wrestler for the entire TB - no call. Etc.... Other than clearly specified by rule stalling, you do not see stalling called in the TBs because the whole point of the 30 second "Tie Breaker" periods is to accumulate as much RT as possible regardless of how it is gained - it is not to attempt to turn or anything else. It is the dumbest standard to determine a match on - but people are being laughably disingenuous when they claim that stalling is called strictly during TBs.

Nothing wrong with SV (probably should be 3 minutes), but if match still tied, it absolutely should be determined on criteria:

1) Highest Scoring Move
2) if still tied, # of highest scoring moves
3) if still tied, first TD
4) if still tied [i.e., no TD], first score

People can cry that the last criteria isn't fair because it potentially comes down to who got to choose down first, but these criteria discourage non-offensive Neutral wrestling [i.e., stalling in Neutral] and incentivize a wrestler to get the first TD (which then incentivizes additional action as the trailing wrestler needs to score).....

The Folk "Tie-Breaker" periods are an affront to the spirit of the rules of wrestling that Folk was created from.
My criteria would have
#1 TV against
#2 Stall calls against

He just wrestled for 11 minutes today. He's got plenty of stamina.
Agree....he has plenty of stamina, and that was a gutsy win. My concern is how he has been finishing, or actually not finishing TD's. On many occasions this season he gets in deep and then doesn't follow thru and finish. Last season that was a strength of his. I was so impressed that a freshman had the strength and technique do that. He'll be okay and will finish well, but something just doesn't seem right. I initially thought he was struggling with the weight cut.....but who knows.

I didn't look yet but think Saldate gave Levi tough matches last year or no? Maybe thinking of someone else.
I seem to recall Saldate nearly pulled off more than one major upset at Nationals 2 years ago and last year also I believe. I know he beat Kaleb Young and I know he has beaten other people ranked ahead of him. I think he's going to be an all American this year and is the best guy Levi has faced all year so far

Something may well be bothering Levi, but he's still undefeated. Does anyone think Robb won't still be in the mix on Saturday? January isn't all that important to the biggest goals in play.

Last edited:
And I'll ask again, if Levi is having so much trouble making 157, wonder why Cael wouldn't have put Mitch there and move Levi to 165. Both Mitch and Ben said he could go either before the season started.
Levi is the first wrestler in the history of the sport to have trouble making weight AND perform better in the 3rd period and OT than in the 1st. Also the first with mono to do it.

Or maybe we're all wet.

I seem to recall Saldate nearly pulled off more than one major upset at Nationals 2 years ago and last year also I believe. I know he beat Kaleb Young and I know he has beaten other people ranked ahead of him. I think he's going to be an all American this year and is the best guy Levi has faced all year so far
His losses this year are to Vince Zerban from Northern Colorado 9-5, Johnny Lovett from Central Michigan 9-6 and Lucas Revano from Penn 10-6. He doesn’t have a ranked win.

He also never beat Kaleb Young. He lost to him 4-0 in 2021 at Big 10’s and 5-3 in 2022 at Big 10’s.

He has beat Kendall Coleman multiple times, Will Lewan once and Brock Mauller from Missouri.

His losses this year are to Vince Zerban from Northern Colorado 9-5, Johnny Lovett from Central Michigan 9-6 and Lucas Revano from Penn 10-6. He doesn’t have a ranked win.

He also never beat Kaleb Young. He lost to him 4-0 in 2021 at Big 10’s and 5-3 in 2022 at Big 10’s.
I'll keep all that in mind when he beats Franek.

Reactions: apoharrow

He has beat Kendall Coleman multiple times, Will Lewan once and Brock Mauller from Missouri.
Mr. Bio-Med probably confused Kaleb Young with Cobe Siebrecht, who Saldate beat 9-2 at B1G’s last year.

And to be fair, Saldate beat Barraclough last year too.

Levi is the first wrestler in the history of the sport to have trouble making weight AND perform better in the 3rd period and OT than in the 1st. Also the first with mono to do it.

Or maybe we're all wet.
The other thing about Levi is last year he had quite a few close matches. He pulled and gutted out quite a few in the 3rd. It's not like he was tech falling or majoring guys every match.

I agree that we're wet and have to be grateful he had the tank and grit to pull out both matches this weekend. Especially today's match.

Levi's knee is not taped, sleeved or braced. He moves well. Adrenaline can hide pain though but he looks fine from an injury standpoint. That being said, he has energy in the 3rd, especially when it's go time (against Crosby and Brignola) That's not indication of a bad cut.

Simply put, he's in a funk but he isn't losing. I'll trust the coaches to get him out of it.

No. RT clock runs until there is an escape or reversal.

I don't think that's right? If the 5 second count expires and the ref lets it run for the escape or reversal (defensive wrestler in the process of scoring), my reading of the rule book says riding time is stopped. There was a sequence of this somewhere in the Michigan match, but I'd need to go back through.

Edit: Found it, here's the sequence in Nagao - Ragusin

Here's the rule book, blame them for the weird spacing in a copy paste from the PDF

Here's the wording from the infraction section (ref page 51)
Art. 2. Indicating Infractions. A match shall not be stopped to indicate aninfraction:a. When warning or penalizing either wrestler for stalling in the neutralposition (Exception: second stoppage for interlocking fingers);
b. When warning or penalizing for stalling the defensive wrestler or theoffensive wrestler while in the rear standing position.
c. For locked hands or grasping clothing committed during a successfulscoring opportunity;
d. For applying a figure-four scissors around the head from neutral during asuccessful takedown;
e. For applying a figure-four scissors around both legs or the body from theoffensive position during a successful reversal or escape;f. For illegal holds, unnecessary roughness or unsportsmanlike conductduring scoring situations, unless it is necessary to prevent an injury; and
g. During a verbal count for Rules 5.7.12, 5.7.13 and 5.7.14 when thedefensive wrestler is in the process of scoring.
Art. 3. Warnings and Sequence of Penalties. The Penalty Table summarizes thesequence of violations, which are cumulative throughout the match and/or event.
Art. 4. Offensive Infractions and Riding Time. When an infraction occurs by the offensive wrestler, the referee shall ensure that the riding time stops at the point when the infraction is indicated on the mat.

Rule 5, Section 7, Articles 12 and 13 (ref. page 57, the pieces reference by 5.7.12 and 5.7.13 above))
Art. 12. Stalling by Dropping Down to a Lower Leg. When the offensivewrestler is positioned with one or both hands below the buttocks of thedefensive wrestler, the referee shall immediately start a verbal five-second count.Whenever possible, the referee also should include a visual indication of thecount. The referee shall stop the count when the offensive wrestler improvestheir position, moves their hold back up above the buttocks of the defensivewrestler, releases the hold or when both wrestlers rise to the standing position.If the referee reaches the fifth count before the offensive wrestler improves theirposition, moves their hold back up above the buttocks or releases the hold, thenthe offensive wrestler shall be called for stalling.a. When the defensive wrestler initiates action to the offensive wrestler’slower leg first, the offensive wrestler may drop down to the defensivewrestler’s lower leg without a mandatory count being issued.b. When dropped to a lower leg, there is no mandatory count when both theoffensive and defensive wrestlers are in the rear-standing position.

Art. 13. Stalling by Ankle Ride. If the offensive wrestler applies a hold withone or both arm(s)/hand(s) below the buttocks, the referee shall immediatelystart a verbal five-second count. Whenever possible, the referee also shouldinclude a visual indication of the count. The referee shall stop the count whenthe offensive wrestler moves their arm(s)/hand(s) back up above the buttocksof the defensive wrestler, or releases the hold. If the referee reaches the fifthcount before the offensive wrestler moves their arm(s)/hand(s) back up abovethe buttocks of the defensive wrestle

Last edited:
Reactions: Shot of Espresso
Levi's knee is not taped, sleeved or braced. He moves well. Adrenaline can hide pain though but he looks fine from an injury standpoint. That being said, he has energy in the 3rd, especially when it's go time (against Crosby and Brignola) That's not indication of a bad cut.

Simply put, he's in a funk but he isn't losing. I'll trust the coaches to get him out of it.
I think he needs a week off period. Watch your weight and take a week off. We don't know what kind of practices are going on or if he is training through some stuff. I watched the match three times I think he looks like Levi has always looked he is tough as nails and hasn't gassed anywhere including overtime. He's fine.

I think he needs a week off period. Watch your weight and take a week off. We don't know what kind of practices are going on or if he is training through some stuff. I watched the match three times I think he looks like Levi has always looked he is tough as nails and hasn't gassed anywhere including overtime. He's fine.
PSU wrestlers in March > PSU wrestlers in January. Been that way all through Cael's tenure.

For all the LionVision experts. What do you do when the match starts and all you hear is the ****ing J Geils Band? I guess it was the radio. Those announcers today do make me want to try it again though.

For all the LionVision experts. What do you do when the match starts and all you hear is the ****ing J Geils Band? I guess it was the radio. Those announcers today do make me want to try it again though.
Change the station to the correct radio station or go to the app. :)

I typically use the app. I’ve found I can’t pause it when I stream the radio.

Reactions: TangSoo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT