ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Michigan State Dual Thread

It's not a terrible idea, but won't work.

The stall-out periods are a terrible product because the expectation for top is to maintain position -- which at any other time is stalling. Therefore top is comfortable knowing he'll never get called for stalling (except rule-specified such as the 5 count), no matter how much he just lays there or how often he runs bottom out of bounds.

The best way to fix those periods is to shoot them into the sun. Short of that, make them a full minute each, so that top has a real expectation to score and there is real time for a takedown after an escape.

Agree. I've never seen a TB period stall called on top-man except on a rule-specified call [i.e., 5 count, etc....]. Those who have said "stalling is stalling regardless when it happens" are being disingenuous regarding how it is called during TBs (rideouts, stallouts.... whatever you want to call them) - just as you have said, I've seen TBs where a bottom wrestler has been run off the mat repeatedly after standing, no call. I've seen guys take Neutral after riding someone out and literally run away from the other wrestler for the entire TB - no call. Etc.... Other than clearly specified by rule stalling, you do not see stalling called in the TBs because the whole point of the 30 second "Tie Breaker" periods is to accumulate as much RT as possible regardless of how it is gained - it is not to attempt to turn or anything else. It is the dumbest standard to determine a match on - but people are being laughably disingenuous when they claim that stalling is called strictly during TBs.

Nothing wrong with SV (probably should be 3 minutes), but if match still tied, it absolutely should be determined on criteria:

1) Highest Scoring Move
2) if still tied, # of highest scoring moves
3) if still tied, first TD
4) if still tied [i.e., no TD], first score

People can cry that the last criteria isn't fair because it potentially comes down to who got to choose down first, but these criteria discourage non-offensive Neutral wrestling [i.e., stalling in Neutral] and incentivize a wrestler to get the first TD (which then incentivizes additional action as the trailing wrestler needs to score).....

The Folk "Tie-Breaker" periods are an affront to the spirit of the rules of wrestling that Folk was created from.

Reactions: Kale_yeah
Those who have said "stalling is stalling regardless when it happens" are being disingenuous regarding how it is called during TBs (rideouts, stallouts....
I get the sense you haven’t watched the match. How about you watch it before calling out folks for their comments made about what they saw.

I get the sense you haven’t watched the match. How about you watch it before calling out folks for their comments made about what they saw.
Now we know who read all of that.

Also, I'm the one who specifically said stalling is stalling whenever it happens. And I've been calling those periods "stall-outs" for years -- folks are free to search the board if they don't believe me. So I'm being 100% consistent.

I feel like Levi’s high crotch isn’t working like it was last year. Did folks see something on tape? Is he not hitting it as hard? I still see the same aggressiveness but his go-to isn’t as effective right now.
yea, and last year he showed he had a shot to his right as well... Let's see what he's working on :)

Reactions: mcpat
Thank God my wife is an RN she'll know what to do when i grab my chest.

sanford and son GIF

Thanks for the updates fellas, on Vacation in North Carolina and couldn’t listen or watch today.

Only to the part where he called me out in his 1st paragraph. I didn’t like the call with one second left, but Haines was clearly stalling. No attempt to break down his opponent, no attempt to turn him. Not even an attempt to improve. Just clinging to not give escape. Really a situation I hadn’t seen before. On feet in front headlock but still in top position technically. Disagree? Fine. But at least watch it before you start calling out what others had to say about it.

So essentially, he called no stalling on Saldate despite a 10 second ankle ride, but then called stalling on Haines despite no leg/ankle ride (and called it with only 1 second remaining in rideout)??????
And to add, in the OT rideout, Saldate on his ride, while standing was out and then pulled Levi out. That should have warranted a stall call.

Also, I'm the one who specifically said stalling is stalling whenever it happens. And I've been calling those periods "stall-outs" for years -- folks are free to search the board if they don't believe me. So I'm being 100% consistent.
I said it. You highlighted me saying it.

sanford and son GIF

Thanks for the updates fellas, on Vacation in North Carolina and couldn’t listen or watch today.

I'm old enough to remember Sanford and Son...that's not a joke anymore.

My late grandmother insisted on watching that and loved it when he have it to the prudish woman with the swinging purse.

Still, happy memories-thanks.

I get what you're saying and appreciate what you're saying (I have not seen the actual match). I am not saying it could not be judged to be stalling - I am merely saying that there is a world of difference between how stalling is called in regulation and how it is specifically called in "Tie-Breaker" overtimes. To say otherwise is disingenuous in my opinion.

But are you certain that she will do it?

Four years ago, I was recovering from Chemo (malpractice) and my 7.0 Hemoglobin made it difficult to walk around the house. My 0.3 white cell count meant I had no immune system, so for six weeks she waited on me hand and foot and drove carefully (a platelet count of 15 means any injury means death) to seven different transfusions and every third day trips to the hematologists office.

Whether you are religious or not; the verse about a good wife being a treasure might be the truest words spoken.

So, yes I'm sure.

Only to the part where he called me out in his 1st paragraph. I didn’t like the call with one second left, but Haines was clearly stalling. No attempt to break down his opponent, no attempt to turn him. Not even an attempt to improve. Just clinging to not give escape. Really a situation I hadn’t seen before. On feet in front headlock but still in top position technically. Disagree? Fine. But at least watch it before you start calling out what others had to say about it.

Question, have you ever seen a TB where first top wrestler gets a rideout and has choice in second-half of TB.... chooses Neutral.... and then proceeds to literally run away from the opposing wrestler for the full 30 seconds of the 2nd half of TB?

Correct. And, there is generally a media timeout after every two matches. There were no such wrestling interruptions in this contest.
Yeah - Ironhead was kinda screwed with no media timeouts. His radio station has to run a few commercials to cover costs. I thought Ironhead did a good job coming back into the action ….. and he never bitched about the situation. Dude is a consummate professional.

For a little perspective, this week at 157 saw:

#2 lose to #11/14 at home (and beat #14/23 2-1 at home)
#3 lose to #11/14 and #14/23 (both at home)

Meanwhile our guy, ranked #1, beat #9/12 and #21/19, both in their gyms

(Rankings are Intermat/flo)

When the season is over, you’re going to find that Levi is not 100% healthy, and hasn’t been for quite some time. And yet, he’s still capable of winning a national title.
I remember watching his first match at journeymen. He was dominating the Lehigh kid looking like Levi. The jr high level ref allowed his knee to get into a terrible position. It looked exactly like Nolf vs Rutgers. I immediately texted my WHats app PSU group and said "Pretty sure Levi just tore something in his knee". He could barely walk the rest of the day. I have no inside information but anyone that watched the match has to know to what I am referring.
About a week later my daughter's boyfriend saw him at an NLI event on campus and asked him about it. Of course, Levi said "Just tweaked it. I'll be fine."

To me, Levi doesn't look hurt, he looks like he is cutting too much weight and he doesn't have the strength or stamina that he had last year. Kinda like Caleb Young for Iowa , he cut so much weight he got worse every year he was on the team.

I posted originally on other thread but more appropriate here.

Is BTN plus showing the Michigan State verses PSU match for free like they did last week?

I dont see it on BTN.

And I dont see it on the thread pinned on top
You have to have a cable subscription of some kind, i.e. fubo, hulu, Comcast, ABB, then you have to log into fox app, then you can watch BTN re-airs.

A while bunch of BS and $ later you can watch what should be on btn+ No wonder why wrestling can't get any new viewership!

Reactions: PSU James

Question, have you ever seen a TB where first top wrestler gets a rideout and has choice in second-half of TB.... chooses Neutral.... and then proceeds to literally run away from the opposing wrestler for the full 30 seconds of the 2nd half of TB?

My point here is that you claim you've never seen an analogous situation in TB (i.e., blatant stalling preventing opponent an equal opportunity to score in TB). I'd argue the scenario I gave is worse as there was zero scoring in first half of TB and blatant - beyond blatant stalling - is used with impunity to give the opposing wrestler no opportunity to score [i.e., win] or even tie the match at no score, no RT-Advantage. I've seen the scenario I gave many times.

The Folk TB periods are an affront to the wrestling rules Folk was carved from.

Last edited:
Can we just admit that overtime outside of tournaments, where someone HAS to win and advance, has been a miserable failure of an experiment? Let's go back to ties in dual meets.

My take away of this week:

All but three looked mortal, not very impressed with Nagao, Truax, like the guy but it like watching iowa wrestle. Bartlett is having to much fun and forgot that these guys actually want to win. Saldate was so impressive he should get wrestler of the month award!

Good to see MSU show up and give us a wake up call, we needed it!!!

Reactions: baccafarmer
If Haines is injured, and I'm not saying he's not, he sure is hiding it well. The way he moved to counter the TD and convert in the 3rd sure doesn't make anything obvious. Byers also has not hinted at anything being amiss, and even suggested that a loss today may not have been the worst thing in the world...implying Haines has been wrestling tight and just needs to get back to letting it fly.

If Haines is injured, and I'm not saying he's not, he sure is hiding it well. The way he moved to counter the TD and convert in the 3rd sure doesn't make anything obvious. Byers also has not hinted at anything being amiss, and even suggested that a loss today may not have been the worst thing in the world...implying Haines has been wrestling tight and just needs to get back to letting it fly.
Pretty much what I just said.

I was hoping you would tell me why my idea wouldn’t work. But I don’t think you have yet. My proposal is to eliminate the ride-outs entirely too. 😀

Edited a couple of times because I'm an idiot and needed to hide the evidence:
Let's say Levi had 0:04 sec RT advantage in regulation--that gives him criterea, so if SV ends w/ no scoring, Levi wins. They go to SV, and if Haines didn't have a stall warning, he'd start SV w/ one. You could do the same for the Saldate too or not--I don't care. No 30 second stall-offs needed.
No one has refuted this yet, so clearly, I must be a heaven-sent genius who can fix wrestling. Watch out smalls! 🧠

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT