ADVERTISEMENT

MBB: IU @ BJC, 7 pm Tonight

Last year Carr shot 43% from 3 pt range. Opponents put a lot of effort into stopping Carr, Stevens, and Shep. That opened up shots for guys like Reaves when they reversed the ball or when they drove to the paint and kicked it out. Reaves doesn't have that advantage this year. He has a decent set shot but he hasn't proven that he can create his own offense and I don't see that changing much at this point in his career.

I'm fearful that the same thing is true for Watkins. Carr pulled the defense away from the basket. When Watkins set a high screen he was often open when he rolled to the basket. Wheeler isn't a deep threat and he's 3" shorter than Carr so the screen roll isn't nearly as successful. PSU has a better chance with Bolton but he's still developing. He's only shooting 35% from 3 and he's 20+ lbs lighter than Carr. Bolton has a great future but it's going to take him a while to reach his potential.

Yes, Reaves can throw the alley oop pass on a backdoor cut but he's just not going to attract defenders the way Carr was able to do.
The pick and roll was open a lot last night but Wheeler didn’t see it. When you’re a really bad three point shooting team yet you keep chucking up threes, that’s poor coaching.

The pick and roll was open a lot last night but Wheeler didn’t see it. When you’re a really bad three point shooting team yet you keep chucking up threes, that’s poor coaching.

All is well. Just be patient. If it doesn't happen this year, it will next year.

DeChellis would have had us in the tourney at least once.
Pre-2007, DeChellis was the worst coach I have ever seen. He made Dunn look great. I have no idea why the previous AD hired him over people like Fran Dunphy.

I saw some comments about Sandy - the truth is, nobody knows if she would make a good hire or not. The previous AD seemed to almost want the program to NOT succeed. I cannot imagine Sandy will do worse.

And what makes it even worse is that the recruiting is better. But the players come in and we have the exact same outcome as before. They lost to IU because they went 11-26 in free throws, or something horrible like that. We keep seeing the same problems year after year.

The recruiting is better on paper. Doesn’t always translate on the floor. And Chambers is so far below the line on game day it might not matter who he brings in here. If Penn State was serious about hoops Chambers would be gone by now. Year 8 or something and apologists still defend this guy.

Reactions: bison13
Well, better looking athletes don’t always translate into better basketball players.

The recruiting is better on paper. Doesn’t always translate on the floor. And Chambers is so far below the line on game day it might not matter who he brings in here. If Penn State was serious about hoops Chambers would be gone by now. Year 8 or something and apologists still defend this guy.

The recruiting is better. We have to give credit where due. I have been watching this program for 25 years and it has never had players as talented as in the last three seasons. In fact, it has never really been that close.

But the outcome isn't any better than in the days when our recruits' only other offers were Richmond and Kent State.

Every coach has had their own traits.

Under Dunn, fundamentals and shooting tended to be very good. A Dunn team would not have gone 11-26 at the line. He had other weaknesses. He was a bad recruiter but able to develop players once they got here. But probably the best of our last three coaches if we are being honest.

DeChellis was, IMO, a ridiculous choice and I still cannot believe he got hired. He was, however, able to figure things out and eventually was out-coaching a number of his B1G peers. His recruiting was OK, but he basically gave up on key geographic areas. The fundamentals were not as good as under Dunn.

With Chambers, the strengths are recruiting and his pressure defenses. The fundamentals aren't good. The in-game coaching is not good.

So, in terms of fundamentals, we have Dunn > DeChellis > Chambers. Let' s look at what each did in 8 years:

Chambers - 1 NIT (champion)
DeChellis - 2 NITs (1 1st rd, 1 champion), 1 NCAA (1st rd)
Dunn - 2 NITs (2 NIT final 4), 2 NCAAs (1st rd, S16)

Remember when everyone wanted to run Dunn out of town for two NCAAs in eight years? Now we are 16 years on and we have gotten worse.

The answer is a coach who really teaches the game. Bo Ryan at Wisconsin was the model of what PSU should do.

The recruiting is better. We have to give credit where due. I have been watching this program for 25 years and it has never had players as talented as in the last three seasons. In fact, it has never really been that close.

But the outcome isn't any better than in the days when our recruits' only other offers were Richmond and Kent State.

Every coach has had their own traits.

Under Dunn, fundamentals and shooting tended to be very good. A Dunn team would not have gone 11-26 at the line. He had other weaknesses. He was a bad recruiter but able to develop players once they got here. But probably the best of our last three coaches if we are being honest.

DeChellis was, IMO, a ridiculous choice and I still cannot believe he got hired. He was, however, able to figure things out and eventually was out-coaching a number of his B1G peers. His recruiting was OK, but he basically gave up on key geographic areas. The fundamentals were not as good as under Dunn.

With Chambers, the strengths are recruiting and his pressure defenses. The fundamentals aren't good. The in-game coaching is not good.

So, in terms of fundamentals, we have Dunn > DeChellis > Chambers. Let' s look at what each did in 8 years:

Chambers - 1 NIT (champion)
DeChellis - 2 NITs (1 1st rd, 1 champion), 1 NCAA (1st rd)
Dunn - 2 NITs (2 NIT final 4), 2 NCAAs (1st rd, S16)

Remember when everyone wanted to run Dunn out of town for two NCAAs in eight years? Now we are 16 years on and we have gotten worse.

The answer is a coach who really teaches the game. Bo Ryan at Wisconsin was the model of what PSU should do.

Great post fairfax

Your close a$$HOLE...High School 700+ wins...12 district 3 titles and a State title at BJC.
OK great job Snip. Your 700 in Berks county dont mean much when you recruit the kids. You would think someone who won so much would understand that its not about FT in this thread. Its a culmination of all of the game day mismanagements

Reactions: Storm at Sea
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT