ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Games Last Chance Qualifier

I tried to explain to a friend how we don't have a wrestler at every weight for the Olympics. Couldn't explain it well. They asked who is at fault. Couldn't answer that. Any help?
I need some help with my recollection, but didn't Zadick compete in the Olympics even though the US didn't qualify the weight. I seem to remember that he went to the Games and hoped somehow to compete and his dreams came true. Anyone know if this happened and, if so, how it came about? Thanks.

I tried to explain to a friend how we don't have a wrestler at every weight for the Olympics. Couldn't explain it well. They asked who is at fault. Couldn't answer that. Any help?
We're dumping on the guy who brought it up--but by far, the easiest way for us to have qualified 65Kg would have been for Zain to not get pinned by the Argentinian wrestler at Pan-Ams last year. Winning your continental tourney is very hard for some continents, but not so much for the Americas. Of course, JO could have just won one more match today to qualify us, but this tourney was considerably more stacked than Pan-Ams.

You could also take exception to UWW's "Seeding", or their bracket design (no true 2nd, when placing 2nd is everything).

Really though, I blame the IOC for hobbling the oldest and best sport by limiting the weights and competetion at each weight so fiercely. Granted, something is better than the alternative of nothing at all, but some of this winds up being a bit of a farce, and that shouldn't be surprising w/ the IOC invovled....

Last edited:
Ask JO and I guarantee you he blames himself and not Zain for a match from 14 months ago.

Reactions: Brian LB-U
SIAP, just saw this article from yesterday that Cox dropped his appeal. I didn’t want to start a new thread, but that was his proverbial “last chance” so I guess it can go here.

Last edited:
If Oliver is able to get 3rd and someone cannot wrestle at the Olympics--not necessarily the Top 2 at this tournament, but any of the qualifiers--will JO be an alternate of sorts and be able to compete at the Olympics? Or, is he officially out of it?

Not sure what you mean by "someone". Each earned spot is assigned to a "country", so if someone can't go, it's next guy up for that country.

But if the guy who qualified the country is ruled ineligible, then the country is out, right?

IIRC that's what happened with Frank -- a couple guys ahead of him flunked the pee test, and sine they were the ones who qualified their countries, the countries were out.
Diego, you asked a very good question. I was focused on COVID-19, in which case the country would retain their spot. Several have mentioned what happened in Tank's favor prior to the 2016 Olympics. Here's what Wiki has...

In 2016, Molinaro won the U.S. Olympic Trials, earning the ability to qualify and represent the United States at the 2016 Summer Olympics at 65 kg. Molinaro originally failed to qualify in Istanbul after losing to Borislav Novachkov. Molinaro eventually gained entry to the Olympics due to other wrestlers being disqualified for doping offenses and the transfer of licenses from other qualifying tournaments. In his case, it was Novachkov's license transferred to the earlier Mongolia qualifier that opened a spot for Molinaro. After his loss in the quarterfinals to Toghrul Asgarov, Molinaro was pulled into the repechage to wrestle Andriy Kvyatkovskyy. Molinaro defeated Kvyatkovskyy with a score of 8–5.

It was a smart move by J'Den, he truthfully doesn't have a leg to stand on to get a wrestleoff against Snyder since that is an upgrade over his initial position.

SIAP, just saw this article from yesterday that Cox dropped his appeal. I didn’t want to start a new thread, but that was his proverbial “last chance” so I guess it can go here.
Going to be real interesting to see what happens if Snyder decides to bring hell to match J’dens wrath of god. Like a damn South Park episode.

Going to be real interesting to see what happens if Snyder decides to bring hell to match J’dens wrath of god. Like a damn South Park episode.
He won't need to if he wins a medal at the Olympics. He automatically gets the spot for 2021 Worlds. Same with other guys who medal in Tokyo. 92 KG, 79 KG, and 70 KG, and 65 KG in particular might be very crowded domestically if Dake, Taylor. Snyder, and Steveson all medal (as they are each favored to do so).

Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT