ADVERTISEMENT

Junior Worlds - Finland

Flying_Tiger

May 27, 2011
Jr. Worlds starting in less then a week (Aug 1-6). USA has a really strong contingent heading to Tampere, Finland.

50kg: Heinselman
55kg: Fix (returning Jr. Bronze)
60kg: McKee
66kg: Deakin
74kg: Hall (returning Jr. Gold ;-)
84kg: Valencia (returning team member)
96kg: Moore (returning team member)
120kg: Steveson (2x World Cadet Champ)

This lineup should bring home 4-5 medals including a couple Gold. Really interested to see how Steveson does wrestling up an age division. Shame Spencer Lee couldn't go at 50kg.

USA Preview: http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2017/July/25/Junior-Freestyle-World-Team-preview

Last edited:
Reactions: diggerpup
Im having a talk about this over pre dinner drinks and I think we have a legit chance 5 medals and 3 golds, and 1st place as a team.

I dont know how they score and Im not looking it up, but if SL was here we would have a legit thought at 1st and maybe that is real even without him

USA! USA! USA!

PS- bells oberon american wheat ale is not all that great. among friends youll take it, but its got me with a bitter beer face.

Not a huge wheat beer fan but Allagash White and Blanche de Bruxelles are good examples of the style.

Such a great team. Will be a fun tournament. Would have liked to see Yianni in there, but Deakin earned it.

Im having a talk about this over pre dinner drinks and I think we have a legit chance 5 medals and 3 golds, and 1st place as a team.

I dont know how they score and Im not looking it up, but if SL was here we would have a legit thought at 1st and maybe that is real even without him

USA! USA! USA!

PS- bells oberon american wheat ale is not all that great. among friends youll take it, but its got me with a bitter beer face.

Scoring is done as follows:
1st place= 10 points
2nd place= 9 points
3rd place (2)= 8
5th place (2)=6 points
7th place= 4 points
8th place= 3 points
9th place= 2 points
10th place= 1 point

As far as our prospects at team gold, as a barometer, these are the winning totals for the past four years:

2013: Russia 62
2014: Iran 64
2015: Iran 62
2016: Russia 66

Reactions: jtothemfp

USA! USA! USA!

USA! USA! USA!

Six medals no beer
Fix
Hall
Valencia
Moore
All locks for a medal
McKee
Stevenson
Probable you heard it hear

This is such a strong team. I think Fix, Hall, and Steveson all win gold. Valencia and Moore medal. The other 3 are just a bit more unknown at this level but have the talent to make some noise. I'm really interested in watching Deakin. I didn't think he was going to be able to get by Yianni but he did and did so convincingly. He also looks to be massive at that weight! One last bit, 2 Colorado boys on the team. Pretty excited for CO wrestling these days. That's where I'm from and I always felt like good wrestlers came out of there but just in the last few years a bunch of top kids came onto the scene. Schultz, Heinselman, Josiah rider, brendon Garcia, theorius Robison, the twin brothers who are going to Oregon state next year. Pretty good kids. I just pray that Schultz doesn't go to Iowa!!

Reactions: jschrantz
This is such a strong team. I think Fix, Hall, and Steveson all win gold. Valencia and Moore medal. The other 3 are just a bit more unknown at this level but have the talent to make some noise. I'm really interested in watching Deakin. I didn't think he was going to be able to get by Yianni but he did and did so convincingly. He also looks to be massive at that weight! One last bit, 2 Colorado boys on the team. Pretty excited for CO wrestling these days. That's where I'm from and I always felt like good wrestlers came out of there but just in the last few years a bunch of top kids came onto the scene. Schultz, Heinselman, Josiah rider, brendon Garcia, theorius Robison, the twin brothers who are going to Oregon state next year. Pretty good kids. I just pray that Schultz doesn't go to Iowa!!

You must have the match with Yianni confused for another one. Deakin got a takedown with less than 20 seconds left to go ahead on criteria.

Portland is a phenomenal beer town, Jefe. If you've never been to Novare Res Bier Cafe, it's a must do.
Maiden voyage to Maine. Thanks for the heads up, will have to try, though The Boss might be driving more than she wants. My tolerance needs to dig up to see sunlight, and we're staying with her friend who live nearly an hour outside town.

Oh well, she can hate me when I'm on business travel for her birthday the following week.

Speaking of Bar Harbor, went past this place tonight, reminded me of the board for some reason.

ls.jpg

You must have the match with Yianni confused for another one. Deakin got a takedown with less than 20 seconds left to go ahead on criteria.
You might be right. I knew it was close but I thought braking controlled the match and I felt like he was the better man afterwards. My memory definitely isn't what it once was though so I might be way off base.

Maiden voyage to Maine. Thanks for the heads up, will have to try, though The Boss might be driving more than she wants. My tolerance needs to dig up to see sunlight, and we're staying with her friend who live nearly an hour outside town.

Oh well, she can hate me when I'm on business travel for her birthday the following week.

Cosigned on Novare Res.

Also endorsed: Portland Lobster Company. Little pier right on the water, picnic table sit downs. Whole lobsters are yum and the Fried Seafood Dinners are crazy tasty! Tasty af, the kids might say. http://portlandlobstercompany.com/menu.php
http://portlandlobstercompany.com/menu.php
Also, also, not sure if fruit brews are your thing, but these Seadog Blueberry Ales washed down my 2lb lobster perfectly there last summer: http://portlandlobstercompany.com/menu.php

Speaking of Bar Harbor, went past this place tonight, reminded me of the board for some reason.

ls.jpg
Loved our visits to Maine.

A couple must sees:
Acadia National Park -- great to drive around, hike, or bike (rent a bike in Bar Harbor and go on the carriage trails, which are magnificent); the "other" part of Acadia on the Schoodic Peninsula is also fantastic -- less traffic and great scenery; it's not far from the main entrance to Acadia (as the crow flies) but takes about an hour drive to get there. Pic below.
LL Bean -- great place to see (open 24x7) and plenty of other shopping nearby

th

th

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the advice. I feel like I owe a trip report, so here goes:

1 night in NH, 3 nights in Bar Harbor, then 5 nights in Portland. Would totally do this again, though Sept/Oct for smaller crowds, less traffic, and no high season costs. Coastal Maine is stunning.

On the way up:
- First night in Hampton NH. Cute little town. Stayed at Lamie's Inn, charming small hotel with an adjoining seafood tavern on the main corner downtown. Drove 5 mi to the beach just to see it.
- USS Albacore: decommissioned submarine permanently stationed near Portsmouth NH. Very cool. Worth 60-90 min. Self-guided with audio stations throughout.
- Portsmouth resembles Annapolis (without the Naval Academy or state capitol). We did a quick drive thru for time constraints, but would've enjoyed walking around.
- Lunch in Bath ME, nice waterfront town along Rt 1. Lots of eateries, Irish pub was a good choice.
- Owls Head Transportation Museum: Fantastic museum off Rt 1 near Rockland ME -- a lot of vintage cars, race cars, carriages, a couple small planes. We arrived near closing and had to rush thru it but easily could've spent 2-3 hours.

Bar Harbor area:
- Stayed at Anne's White Columns Inn in town, about 2 blocks from Main Street and within 1/2 mi of just about everything in town. Nice B&B, perfect location, friendly hosts, great breakfasts. Nice to not have to find parking in town.
- Acadia National Park: we got to do most everything around the main loop, though it took 2 days due to tourist volume. Great views from Cadillac Mountain. Hiked around the Bubbles Trail. Hung out at Sand Beach for a few minutes. Thunder Hole was neat, though I suspect the maximum effect is rare even at high tide. Had lunch at Jordan Pond House (waitress was from Schuylkill Valley, what are the odds?), walked around the pond a little, picked some blueberries along the path.
- Food: great dinners at Havana's "Parrilla" outside bar (Latin American) and Mache Bistro (French/Spanish; patio server was very easy on the eyes if that matters). Blaze (upscale pizza) disappointed except for number of beers on tap. Mt Desert Ice Cream, yum.
- Ray Murphy's Chainsaw Show: this is an absolute must, on Rt 1 in Hancock ME. He is (I am NOT making this up) a world famous chainsaw artist who does live performances around 7 pm daily. Bit of a crazy old mountain man, definitely a character, got to talk with him at length and really enjoyed meeting him. And his show is something you'll never see anywhere else.

On the way back to Portland:
- Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory: On Rt 1 across from Bucksport ME. Great views of the area. Admission includes tours of the fort at the foot of the bridge. (Can also this on the way to Bar Harbor if time allows.)
- Bangor: Because my wife wanted her picture taken at the spiderweb gates at Stephen King's house (not open for visitors). Other than that one street, the town is a dump. Don't bother.
- Augusta: Only because I needed a break from I-95. We never got out of the car. Nice state capitol bldg from the outside. Otherwise, town resembles Harrisburg. Don't bother.

Portland and vicinity:
- Stayed with friends in Sebago ME, 45 min of rural roads NW of Portland.
- Desert of Maine: Outside Freeport, 300+ acre farm overtaken by underground sand dunes when the topsoil eroded. While in Freeport, did LL Bean and the outlets.
- Odyssey Whale Watching: 4-hr boat ride, and, yes, we saw a whale several times up close (plus a few seals and porpoises). The on-board marine biologist kept saying the whale was "boat curious," and I'm grateful it didn't become "boat sexual." (Seriously, seeing the whale up close was really neat.)
- Other attractions: Victorian Mansion, Portland Museum of Art, Cryptozoology Museum (Bigfoot museum), and sunset tour of the Portland Observatory Tower (a former signal tower near the waterfront).
- Food and beer: Isa Bistro; Taco Escobarr; Mi Sen (Thai noodles); Corner Room (Italian); Terlingua (Texas BBQ); Duckfat (sandwiches); Shipyard Brewery; Allagash Brewery. All were very good to outstanding.

Great trip, just got back yesterday, which means tomorrow I'm headed to the airport for a business trip to glorious Huntsville AL.

Almost forgot: Chainsaw Ray knows Penn State. Not an alum (he has degrees from Wyoming and Montana), but one of his bigger customers has a house off Rt. 26 a little north of campus. Apparently the guy was a private pilot who flew wealthy people to Maine for vacation, and he couldn't fly an empty plane back to PA ... sometimes it was Ray's art, sometimes Ray himself.

Fore Street
Street & Company

Mmmmmmmmm. Amazing restaurants in Old Port.

Next time you're in Maine, swing by Camden & Pemiquid ....
Next time in Portland, visit Higgins Beach, Portland Head Light & take the ferry to Peaks Island.

Reactions: royboy
Fore Street
Street & Company

Mmmmmmmmm. Amazing restaurants in Old Port.

Next time you're in Maine, swing by Camden & Pemiquid ....
Next time in Portland, visit Higgins Beach, Portland Head Light & take the ferry to Peaks Island.
Grandparents rented a place seasonally near Pemaquid Point in New Harbor. Was at the scenic lighthouse when a storm barreled in out of nowhere -gave me a bit of an insight into how fishermen feel on the open ocean. Just a bit of a feel, but that was spooky and awesome at the same time

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT