ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Gattis gone

That's two in 45 years. If you have quality assistants this happens as well as the sentiments when BO'B left and people hit the panic button. We are attracting quality assistants who will leave to be coordinators or head coaches but if you trust the process(a Sixers fan) things will work out.
That's two in 45 years. If you have quality assistants this happens as well as the sentiments when BO'B left and people hit the panic button. We are attracting quality assistants who will leave to be coordinators or head coaches but if you trust the process(a Sixers fan) things will work out.
People have short memories.
Walsh, Golden, Jackson, Shicano, Norwood, some names i can't remember. OL coach that became head coach at Buffalo.

Locksley, and Daboll, and Sarkisian, and Kiffen, and Nussmeier, and McElwain..... ALL in-and-out as Alabama Offensive Coordinators (in last five years alone)

Not to mention a third Defensive Coordinator since 2015.

But, of course, according to some Alabama is in a whole different stratosphere from Penn State - because Penn State looses coaches off of its staff. And Penn State will be doomed!! :rolleyes:

There is no fixing stupid

Little Nickie does have a good track record of replacing ACs, which cause one to wonder why he elevated Locksley. Perhaps that's the reason he went after Gaddis.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Did you miss the part that some people want a promotion? Sorry, but as much as I like my Pennsylvania State Nittany Lions and wear my blue and white as much as the next guy, I also understand people want to work for the best. Gattis gets a promotion to asst OC AND gets to work with a team that has won 5 of the last 9 National Championships. He wanted to be OC at PS, but didn't get it. He moved on, received a promotion, and, yes, likely more money. Money may not have been the factor here.
My goodness, Marisa, you are way to worked up about this. You say you have confidence in PS/CJF, but question why CJF didn't work Sandy harder for more money to keep assistants. Sounds like lack of confidence to me.

OL
Enough already OhioLion. It's like my dad yelling at me, I get it. Sometimes the passionate is left for the young. Do you not remember? And by the way, it is a big deal, I'll just wait for it to sink in.

Ultimately, this was about Franklin needing to choose between Rahne and Gattis, and he chose Rahne. Gattis was blocked here once that happened. JF probably knew this was coming ever since.

I don't blame Gattis. JF played his cards and showed who was his favorite, and once that happened Gattis didn't have to remain loyal.

This is a dog-eat-dog world, and Gattis wanted to show that he wasn't eaten. Good for him.

Reactions: PSUoh90
Alright fine, we'll paper over it but it came out of left field for me and I've thought for a while Gattis was our best young position coach. If everything was NOT done to keep that guy it will be a big mistake. I just don't know why everyone is just taking this lying down, next man up, junk. It will not be that easy. Not to mention I hate Alabama, they're just rubbing our noses in it.

Maybe we'll see Gattis again in 2018 or 2019 at the MNC :)

Would be a nice little reunion!

I'll finish this thread with this. I'm disappointed in anyone not upset about this move. This is the kind of thing you should get fired up about..........it's an important moment in time. Not convinced?? OK, Larry Johnson is supposedly the co-defensive coordinator at Ohio State.......according to who? His bio? Yeah.......that's BS. Schiano is the defensive coordinator end of story. This was a lateral move for more money and if that sits well with you, then you're just not paying attention. #loyaltyorthelacktherofmeanssomething

Last edited:
People have short memories.
Walsh, Golden, Jackson, Shicano, Norwood, some names i can't remember. OL coach that became head coach at Buffalo.
George Welsh was on the staff when Joe became the HC. My point is that over the 45 years he won with very little turnover and CJF is winning with some turnover. It doesn't make much difference either way because they won. My point is that people shouldn't be going off the deep end because assistant coaches leave. Joe didn't have very much turnover and won and CJF is winning with some turnover. It obviously can be done both ways.

I'll finish this thread with this. I'm disappointed in anyone not upset about this move. This is the kind of thing you should get fired up about..........it's an important moment in time. Not convinced?? OK, Larry Johnson is supposedly the co-defensive coordinator at Ohio State.......according to who? His bio? Yeah.......that's BS. Schiano is the defensive coordinator end of story. This was a lateral move for more money and if that sits well with you, then you're just not paying attention. #loyaltyorthelacktherofmeanssomething

You are wrong. LJ is the assistant head coach at OSU not the coDC. It's one thing to rage about crap, at least know the facts. If you don't think coaches are going to move you are also a fool. Gattis left for two reasons. He was upset he didn't get the OC job and Rahne doesn't want to be a head coach so he saw his road to a future promotion blocked. Get freaking over it.

You are incredibly naive about college coaching.

Sorry, but that just shows how selfish you are. People want an opportunity for advancement, a chance to be successful, and to be recognized for it. That first one was just taken away from him, so he had to look elsewhere. I don’t know if he made the first move or if Alabama called CJF (which is a great compliment, especially after his “Nicky Satan” comments back while he was at Vandy), but it was a move he had to take.

You look at the number of Alabama coordinators that have been hired as head coaches, and you have to respect that. Alabama is THE premier college football program. Not “one of”, but THE top program in the country. Change the names Penn State and Alabama with Pittsburgh Steelers and New England Patriots. If Belichek calls the WR coach for the Steelers to offer him a Co-OC position, he would be stupid not to take it.

Just a raise wouldn’t keep someone from saying no. First of all, Gattis is probably getting a raise of about half a million. That’s more than you can reasonably give a position coach. Secondly, he wants to become a head coach. No one is going to hire a position coach with no head coaching experience to run their program. You wouldn’t hire a server or line cook to run your restaurant if they don’t have prior managerial experience - at least not if you wanted your business to be successful.

Does it suck to lose him? Sure. But as I said before, this is a huge compliment, both for him and the program, and I wish him success, unless he’s across the field from the Nittany Lions.

Reactions: AJ65 and grinagrin

You are simply not a PSU fan with attitudes like that. Your only loyalty appears to be to ignorance, anger and immaturity. Seek out counseling and I hope it works for you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT