ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Gattis gone

I have no idea what we pay our assistants but if we need to step it up into Alabama territory then we should, and if Sandy dropped the ball she should feel the wrath.
Did you miss the part that some people want a promotion? Sorry, but as much as I like my Pennsylvania State Nittany Lions and wear my blue and white as much as the next guy, I also understand people want to work for the best. Gattis gets a promotion to asst OC AND gets to work with a team that has won 5 of the last 9 National Championships. He wanted to be OC at PS, but didn't get it. He moved on, received a promotion, and, yes, likely more money. Money may not have been the factor here.
My goodness, Marisa, you are way to worked up about this. You say you have confidence in PS/CJF, but question why CJF didn't work Sandy harder for more money to keep assistants. Sounds like lack of confidence to me.

OL

Heard from a number of sources, most of whom don't know each other, that he's a blockhead and a jerk. That's not a good combination, though one can live with the jerk part.

I mean, he was a QB at Cornell, so how big of a blockhead could he be? And any one can come off as a jerk

Some... :)

ADDITIONAL COACHING HIGHLIGHTS: In 2015, the Ravens set a single-season record by averaging 266.9 passing yards per game despite several key injuries. In 2014, Engram’s receiving corps boasted both a 1,000-yard receiver (Smith Sr.) and a wideout who scored a team-leading 11 touchdowns (Torrey Smith). The Ravens finished eighth in the NFL in scoring with a franchise-record 409 total points (25.6 ppg) and 12th overall in total yards per game (364.9). The longtime NFL wideout also spent two seasons (2012-13) coaching receivers at the University of Pittsburgh. In his first year with the Panthers, two of Engram’s receivers (Mike Shanahan and Devin Street) earned All-Big East honors, the first time in school history the feat had been accomplished in the same season. Both players had the best statistical production of their careers. Shanahan tallied 983 yards on 62 receptions, while Street had 975 yards on 73 catches, nearly giving Pitt an unprecedented two 1,000-yard receivers in the same season. In 2011, Engram began his coaching career with the San Francisco 49ers as an offensive assistant.

2014-16: (with Baltimore) 2016: Engram’s receivers helped QB Joe Flacco set a single-season franchise record with 4,317 passing yards...WR Mike Wallace led the team and recorded his third-career 1,000-yard campaign (1,017 yards on 72 catches), including the longest offensive play in Ravens regular season history with a 95-yard TD reception vs. Pit. (11/6)...Wallace also had an NFL-high 5 receptions of at least 50 yards...WR Steve Smith Sr. led the team with 5 TD receptions in his final NFL season. 2015: Ravens set a franchise record by averaging 266.9 passing yards per game, despite having four starting QBs (Flacco, Matt Schaub, Jimmy Clausen and Ryan Mallett) for the first time in team history...WR Kamar Aiken, had a breakout year, filling in for the veteran Smith Sr. (Achilles/back), who missed nine games...Aiken posted team highs in catches (74), receiving yards (944) and receiving TDs (5). 2014: In his first season, Engram guided a talented Ravens receiving corps that boasted a 1,000-yard receiver in Smith Sr. and the team leader in touchdowns in WR Torrey Smith (11)...Smith Sr. led the team with 79 receptions for 1,065 yards, including a season-long 80-yard TD...Torrey Smith’s 11 receiving TDs ranked second most in single-season team history (Michael Jackson, 14 in 1996)...Ravens set franchise records with 409 points scored and 5,838 yards...Joined Ravens as wide receivers coach.

2012-13: (with University of Pittsburgh) 2013: Engram guided WR Tyler Boyd to a record-breaking freshman season...Boyd (85 catches for 1,174 yards) earned All-ACC and Freshman All-American honors while breaking freshman school receiving records previously held by Arizona Cardinals Pro Bowl WR Larry Fitzgerald. 2012: In his first campaign as the Panthers’ wide receivers coach, two of Engram’s wide receivers (Mike Shanahan and Devin Street) earned All-Big East honors in the same season, the first time in school history the feat had been accomplished...Both players each tallied nearly 1,000 receiving yards (Shanahan, 62 catches for 983 yards and Street, 73 catches for 975 yards).

2011: (with San Francisco) Entered the coaching ranks as an offensive assistant under then-first-year head coach Jim Harbaugh and the 49ers, who earned a trip to the NFC Championship game.

Great resume. Would LOVE to have Engram.

We got the wr coach from Army. Maybe Franklin can hire the fullback coach from Oregon...
You are correct we did hire Army's WR coach. I would be totally happy with a Bobby Engram hire as a WR coach. I will throw out the same name I put out there before, keep Corley for the wide receivers and think about Gary Brown for the running backs. Very successful NFL running back coach, who still has a home locally and his daughter is currently a student at PSU. Just a thought as I heard the Raiders were looking at possibly hiring him.

I mean, he was a QB at Cornell, so how big of a blockhead could he be? And any one can come off as a jerk

Check the school from which Rahne got his degree. There are plenty of blockheads at Cornell, the highest concentration of them found on varsity teams.

Reactions: stormingnorm
If he wants to be a head coach, then this is the right move, regardless of the short term money. Alabama loses their coordinators to promotions basically every year. They go to the NFL or a head coaching job.
Here he was blocked by Rahne who apparently does not have head coaching aspirations, so he may not be leaving any time soon.

Yeah got it.......nobody answered this yet though. Who you are going to lose is part of the decision of who you are going to hire, meaning if I hire this guy and lose half my staff I'm not going to hire that guy. I'm very sorry this is so upsetting to you all but it does have top be said.
So that's half of it. The other half is that, if you choose someone else, what are THOSE consequences? Your first post in this thread implied that you knew exactly what was offered to each principal.Can you please expand on what you have implied?

Love watching fanboys, bloggers, reporters from other teams retweet and talk about this as if

A. Penn State will not make a great hire to replace
B. It will help their program in any way
How many of Joe's assistants left for better jobs? I can only think of Dick Anderson. Urban and Nick have lost talented people and they have survived. Good luck to him and next man up.

Reactions: Nitt1300
Always hurts to lose good coaches. But, nice to have a staff performing at a level to get interest from top programs

Yeah, Franklin tells every recruit, "You're coming to play for me and to play for Penn State. Coordinators may come and go." He talked about that in his signing day press conference. Saban says the same thing to his recruits.

I will say, we'll have to see what Solomon Enis says about this. Not ideal timing. If he's true blue, as Ricky Slade was when we lost our RB coach late, it won't matter.

Enis picked up a couple of crystal balls to Utah. These predictions could be solely based on the Gattis departure though.

Reactions: TheGLOV
You are correct we did hire Army's WR coach. I would be totally happy with a Bobby Engram hire as a WR coach. I will throw out the same name I put out there before, keep Corley for the wide receivers and think about Gary Brown for the running backs. Very successful NFL running back coach, who still has a home locally and his daughter is currently a student at PSU. Just a thought as I heard the Raiders were looking at possibly hiring him.

I don't see GB wanting to get into the recruiting game. I guess stranger things could happen but I would think he would want to stay at the pro level.

As of a week ago he was expected to stay in Dallas. Of course that could easily just mean a year's stay as one would think that Garrett would EVENTUALLY be on the hot seat. He is really good at clapping though so who really knows.

Here is Rahne getting emotional when talking about how he got to tell his mother-in-law he got the OC job (see the video in the link). Definitely seems like a jerk. He and Franklin are basically best buds, so Franklin definitely isn't the best judge of character, right?

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...talking-promotions-impact-on-family-112313623

“Probably talking to my mom and my mother-in-law, those are two times when you can reflect,” he said. “For me, my wife’s family’s from Pittsburgh. So for (his mother-in-law) to basically think that we’re gonna be here a good, long time and she can see her grandsons grow up — for my mother-in-law being able to tell her I’m gonna be here — that was pretty special.

“And then my own mother … yeah, that was fun for me,” he added, struggling to hold back tears. (Rahne and his wife Jennifer have two sons, Ryder and Jake.)

Then he lightened the mood, making fun of PSU head coach James Franklin’s penchant for becoming emotional when addressing the media.

“I feel like Coach Franklin right now,” Rahne said. “We only need one guy who cries at press conferences. So we don’t need another one.”

After pausing for a moment, he became serious again

“It was pretty emotional,” he said of talking to his mom and mother-in-law. “It was something where I was happy to be able reward their faith in me.”

Reactions: Aloha T and TheGLOV
Yeah, no this needs to stop. Are we paying our guys or not? Is this a lateral move? I'm sorry but we cannot lose the Josh Gattis' of the world on lateral moves without paying a heavy price (staff consistency is huge in college football, this man was our best position coach and recruiter) .......I don't care about Alabama and the perception......you don't take losses like this laying down. Huff was bad enough, but was everyone so surprised that they didn't get the Offensive Coordinator position that they started looking elsewhere? Did they feel slighted or are we not paying these guys Sandy?? Answer please.
Drama Queen post of the year!!!

Gattis was maybe our best recruiter and both he and Huff coached our best units. If you want to beat the Alabama's of the world, you can't afford to lose your talent to them. It is not an overreaction to suggest that this is a big loss.
Maybe we lost two of the best position coaches, or maybe we lost two coaches that just happened to be blessed with two of the most talented position groups in Penn State history. I guess time will tell.

Either way, both position groups seem to be LOADED with talent. The new coaches will look like superstars as well - at least for their first two seasons.

Well, Well, Well another meltdown. What a surprise! If only we could hear from all those JVP critics who wanted the kind of assistants everybody else would want. Is this the story of the 3 bears? When will PSU get it just right?
With all the wailing and gnashing of teeth.......raise your hand if you ever heard of any of these assistants before Franklin got the job here? I don't see any hands. That's right. Franklin brought them and he will replace them. You can bitch and moan if you like.

Jim Caldwell.
That's two in 45 years. If you have quality assistants this happens as well as the sentiments when BO'B left and people hit the panic button. We are attracting quality assistants who will leave to be coordinators or head coaches but if you trust the process(a Sixers fan) things will work out.

Yeah, Franklin tells every recruit, "You're coming to play for me and to play for Penn State. Coordinators may come and go." He talked about that in his signing day press conference. Saban says the same thing to his recruits.

I will say, we'll have to see what Solomon Enis says about this. Not ideal timing. If he's true blue, as Ricky Slade was when we lost our RB coach late, it won't matter.
Enis may already have said something about it. There are two recent CBs that have him heading to Utah.

BTW, who is the Utah WR assistant coach??.....just saying.

Last edited:
Hope he doesn't mind getting yelled at, and blamed for Alabama's problems, Nick can be a bit psycho at times.
He also has Joe & co. to the west, so SEC recruiting will be interesting.

Why are we letting them go without a fight? Gattis was in my opinion our best coordinator. Give him the raise and the title (which I thought he already did get) and throw the bird to Alabama. Why am I alone on this?????
There is nothing to fight here. CJF said that his OCoordinator had no aspirations of being a head coach so that means no upward mobility for Gattis. With people moving on from Alabama every year this gives him a real shot at OCoordinator there. Money would not keep him here even with a co OCoirdinator title.

That's two in 45 years. If you have quality assistants this happens as well as the sentiments when BO'B left and people hit the panic button. We are attracting quality assistants who will leave to be coordinators or head coaches but if you trust the process(a Sixers fan) things will work out.
That Joe was an amazing coach, amassing the most college football wins all-time with only 2 quality assistants . . .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT