ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Gattis gone

PSU0622

Aug 22, 2007
Took a job at the evil empire Alabama. Best of luck to him. Huge loss for Psu.

Alabama: Penn State passing game coordinator/wide receivers coach Josh Gattis will join the staff as co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach, sources tell FootballScoop. Gattis had been at Penn State for four seasons and spent two seasons on James Franklin’s Vanderbilt staff before that. While at Vanderbilt Gattis served as James Franklin’s recruiting coordinator and he assists with special teams at Penn State.

This really stinks for Penn State, but big time congratulations to Coach Gattis and his family. Co-offensive coordinator at Alabama is a heck of a title to put on your resume, and will instantly make him a better candidate for head coaching jobs.

Also shows the amount of respect that Penn State and Franklin is building nationally. Having potentially the best coach of this generation hire one of Franklin’s guys for what’s actually a larger role than the one he had here is a pretty big compliment, IMO.

This really stinks for Penn State, but big time congratulations to Coach Gattis and his family. Co-offensive coordinator at Alabama is a heck of a title to put on your resume, and will instantly make him a better candidate for head coaching jobs.

Also shows the amount of respect that Penn State and Franklin is building nationally. Having potentially the best coach of this generation hire one of Franklin’s guys for what’s actually a larger role than the one he had here is a pretty big compliment, IMO.
Yes, and it increases by a lot the probability of bringing in very good replacements.

Honestly figured this might be in the works when Ricky Rahne got the call for OC. Josh Gattis was great at Penn State and its good to see him rewarded with a promotion at Alabama. Thanks for everything, Coach Gattis. Perhaps we will again cross paths one day in the future.

Yeah, no this needs to stop. Are we paying our guys or not? Is this a lateral move? I'm sorry but we cannot lose the Josh Gattis' of the world on lateral moves without paying a heavy price (staff consistency is huge in college football, this man was our best position coach and recruiter) .......I don't care about Alabama and the perception......you don't take losses like this laying down. Huff was bad enough, but was everyone so surprised that they didn't get the Offensive Coordinator position that they started looking elsewhere? Did they feel slighted or are we not paying these guys Sandy?? Answer please.

Yeah, no this needs to stop. Are we paying our guys or not? Is this a lateral move? I'm sorry but we cannot lose the Josh Gattis' of the world on lateral moves without paying a heavy price (staff consistency is huge in college football) .......I don't care about Alabama and the perception......you don't take losses like this laying down. Huff was bad enough, but was everyone so surprised that they didn't get the Offensive Coordinator position that they started looking elsewhere? Did they feel slighted or are we not paying these guys Sandy?? Answer please.
:rolleyes:

Yeah, no this needs to stop. Are we paying our guys or not? Is this a lateral move? I'm sorry but we cannot lose the Josh Gattis' of the world on lateral moves without paying a heavy price (staff consistency is huge in college football) .......I don't care about Alabama and the perception......you don't take losses like this laying down. Huff was bad enough, but was everyone so surprised that they didn't get the Offensive Coordinator position that they started looking elsewhere? Did they feel slighted or are we not paying these guys Sandy?? Answer please.
What? Gattis got a promotion to become Alabama’s co-offensive coordinator. That’s not a lateral move by any stretch.

If anyone had any questions about what a good judge of coaching talent CJF is, this should answer them once and for all.

I'm betting Franklin already knows who he's going to hire now. He has a plan for everything.

FIRE. FRANKLIN. :eek:

If that doesn't happen, then yes, I expect he will bring in a more than suitable replacement.

This is the new normal with Franklin's success. Money will only keep top talent for so long. These coaches want to ascend the coach ranks just like everyone in the corporate world.

Reactions: TheGLOV and nittnee
Wasn't happy about Rahne getting OC.

What do you mean? Do you think it should have been Gattis? Irrespective of Gattis, do you not feel that Rahne is a good fit for the position? Should Franklin have gone outside for the offensive coordinator?

Even after the Fiesta Bowl, are you still disappointed with Rahne's promotion to offensive coordinator?

Reactions: Sharkies and BBrown
What? Gattis got a promotion to become Alabama’s co-offensive coordinator. That’s not a lateral move by any stretch.
it just may be, now he gets to work with Mike Locksley who will be the play caller.

Alabama: As we have reported was expected, Chris Low with ESPN is now reporting Nick is making it official, Mike Locksley is being promoted to OC / QBs. A look at the Alabama staff.

That's a load of crap.....what do you mean like Larry Johnson--co-defensive coordinator. What exactly does Larry coordinate outside of Greg Schiano?? It's a mean nothing title change and a raise in pay and they did it right under our nose like we were nothing. If you don't get fired up about this kind of thing I don't know what you would get fired up about. We can't keep losing little pieces of our family without paying a price. My point is did we try to keep him??

Yeah, no this needs to stop. Are we paying our guys or not? Is this a lateral move? I'm sorry but we cannot lose the Josh Gattis' of the world on lateral moves without paying a heavy price (staff consistency is huge in college football, this man was our best position coach and recruiter) .......I don't care about Alabama and the perception......you don't take losses like this laying down. Huff was bad enough, but was everyone so surprised that they didn't get the Offensive Coordinator position that they started looking elsewhere? Did they feel slighted or are we not paying these guys Sandy?? Answer please.
giphy.gif

He felt he deserved the OC spot. Franklin chose Rahne. What are you going to do? I trust Franklin to come up with another great assistant coach. He's talked about it many times. He has a list of guys he is impressed with that he would hire when the time comes.

Only really good football teams lose coaches. How many Rutgers guys do you see getting plucked?
Why are we letting them go without a fight? Gattis was in my opinion our best coordinator. Give him the raise and the title (which I thought he already did get) and throw the bird to Alabama. Why am I alone on this?????

Reactions: TheGLOV
Gattis was maybe our best recruiter and both he and Huff coached our best units. If you want to beat the Alabama's of the world, you can't afford to lose your talent to them. It is not an overreaction to suggest that this is a big loss.

That's a load of crap.....what do you mean like Larry Johnson--co-defensive coordinator. What exactly does Larry coordinate outside of Greg Schiano?? It's a mean nothing title change and a raise in pay and they did it right under our nose like we were nothing. If you don't get fired up about this kind of thing I don't know what you would get fired up about. We can't keep losing little pieces of our family without paying a price. My point is did we try to keep him??

tenor.gif

Reactions: TheGLOV
Why are we letting them go without a fight? Gattis was in my opinion our best coordinator. Give him the raise and the title (which I thought he already did get) and throw the bird to Alabama. Why am I alone on this?????

Remember when Larry Johnson felt he deserved the head coaching spot at Penn State and left because he was pissed? Sometimes emotions can't be overcome with additional salary.

What do you mean? Do you think it should have been Gattis? Irrespective of Gattis, do you not feel that Rahne is a good fit for the position? Should Franklin have gone outside for the offensive coordinator?

Even after the Fiesta Bowl, are you still disappointed with Rahne's promotion to offensive coordinator?

GATTIS wasn't happy he didn't get the OC position. I'm perfectly happy with Rahne. Did a hell of a job against a Top 10 defense in the Fiesta Bowl. I trust Franklin implicitly in these situations.

Because you are essentially saying that you would have chosen Gattis over Rahne - meaning that you trust your judgement over Franklin's. Sorry, but I'll trust Franklin.

You can't make coaches stay - he felt it was a better opportunity at "Bama - some people are real drama queens around here. Franklin will find a replacement who may be even better, who knows. Moorhead anyone?

Reactions: BBrown
Because you are essentially saying that you would have chosen Gattis over Rahne - meaning that you trust your judgement over Franklin's. Sorry, but I'll trust Franklin.
and if you choose Gattis over Rahne, who's to say Rahne would want to stick around?

Reactions: bkmtnittany1
There is one irreplaceable coach on the staff, and he's already the Head Coach.

Yeah, Franklin tells every recruit, "You're coming to play for me and to play for Penn State. Coordinators may come and go." He talked about that in his signing day press conference. Saban says the same thing to his recruits.

I will say, we'll have to see what Solomon Enis says about this. Not ideal timing. If he's true blue, as Ricky Slade was when we lost our RB coach late, it won't matter.

GATTIS wasn't happy he didn't get the OC position. I'm perfectly happy with Rahne. Did a hell of a job against a Top 10 defense in the Fiesta Bowl. I trust Franklin implicitly in these situations.
l like Rahne, seemed like the right guy obviously very bright but yeah I'm mad, contingency one is to cow tow to the guy who might be upset especially when you already lost one. To lose 2 is a mistake and a disappointment. When have I ever lost faith in Franklin, not me........he's my guy. But to lose Huff and Gattis in the same year is a mistake. I'm not sure who it was but it was a mistake or a failure and our offense will pay next year (who's it was I don't know--Sandy, CJF, but as fans we should ask and let our opinions known!). That is how I feel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT