ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Gattis gone

I just don't know why everyone is just taking this lying down, next man up, junk.
Ummm, because there is nothing OhioLion in Archbold, OH can do about it? That's where I'll start. I follow by saying I, like 99% of the board, have confidence in CJF. Next, a former coach used to say - don't worry about things you cannot control. Finally, you are way too dramatic for me. Sorry, just the way I see it. :cool:

OL

Really? I wasn't answering you.

Frankly, I'm not a fan of Rahne, Fiesta Bowl aside (though the performance was encouraging). In Franklin's spot I would have given the OC spot to Gattis before Rahne. But it's Franklin's ass on the line not mine.

If I'm Gattis and I want to be an OC, where is it likely to happen faster? Alabama. Locksley is hardly the world's best play caller and Saban is pulls the trigger faster than Franklin does.

From PSU's perspective, at the end of the day it's replacing a position. Not the end of the world> Certainly lost a great recruiter and a coach with considerable potential. But there are a lot of great recruiters and HCs have been fired waiting for potential to blossom.
I'm confused. Was this a response to my response to @marisa45 ?

You had better duck with a response like that. This is a Joebot you're talking to.
Shut up Pennsy (you're one I will not take it from and will go directly after if given another chance).....Genius level in the decision making on the hire. Explained.

Shut up Pennsy (you're one I will not take it from and will go directly after if given another chance).....Genius level in the decision making on the hire. Explained.

Wow. I'm shaking in my shoes now. I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight. Marisa45 might come after me. I'll make sure my teacup Chihuahua is ready for attack.

OK BBrown join pile on but I did clarify that genius level was a comparison to the decision that would need to be made along the lines of hiring an assistant coach (as in Moorhead like). And I do want you to answer this question, if you knew by promoting a guy, you would lose half the rest of the crew to competitors would you still do it or lean on an outside hire? And is that a valid question to ask before you make the hire? Also, is alright to be critical or should we all tow the company line??

Just breathe.
giphy.gif

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
What exactly do you want people to do? Picket outside of Lasch? Start an online petition? Street fight?
Or just scream about it on a message board?

Not sure why people are complaining. Gattis left for a better job. Bama is THE elite program. Everyone else is fighting for second. We all know this

I wish we had a staff that stayed for 30+ years, half of which didn't recruit. Franklin is a total freakin moron. Penn State is going 0-12 next season and we're all going to die.
Said NOBODY in this thread, or ever. Just like your claim that "Joebots" are floating Engram's name. You took a thread about an assistant coach leaving and managed to take two shots at Joe in very short order. You're obsessed, and acting like (or maybe not acting) an a$$.

What? Gattis got a promotion to become Alabama’s co-offensive coordinator. That’s not a lateral move by any stretch.

It's a statement on the Penn State program under Franklin and it's a positive statement. Was Alabama ever raiding Penn State for coaches before 2014?

This is reality at the top of college football folks, might as well get used to it. Franklin has to put in a whole lot of work recruiting and hiring because rising coaches like this are not going to stay at one place for 10 years.

This is the way it is at top SEC programs and Ohio State. Change is a constant. You hold on to good coaches as long as you can but you're not going to hold on to them for a career like it was with Paterno. And that is good. A football program stays on the cutting edge by always bringing new smart people (like Corley) in and using the ideas they bring with them. But the flip side of it is, rising young coaches like Gattis are going to rise. Gattis was ready for the next step and getting to be OC for Saban - that's about as good as it gets. I'm sure Franklin is happy for him.

Said NOBODY in this thread, or ever. Just like your claim that "Joebots" are floating Engram's name. You took a thread about an assistant coach leaving and managed to take two shots at Joe in very short order. You're obsessed, and acting like (or maybe not acting) an a$$.

4ce75780cb34c0b02ec9c1f6875e6a31.500

What exactly do you want people to do? Picket outside of Lasch? Start an online petition? Street fight?
Or just scream about it on a message board?
Look man, you and I don't see eye to eye. I get it but I'm making an argument here. I make arguments passionately, but somehow that comes off as screaming. OK.

There you go again Pennsy. I'm a dude, only you don't know that (check my profile). The screen name is after my daughter. And by the way you are a low life sexist idiot.

LOL

So you are marisa45 and Omar81? Does this make you feel better?

mandol.jpg

Look man, you and I don't see eye to eye. I get it but I'm making an argument here. I make arguments passionately, but somehow that comes off as screaming. OK.
You didn't answer the question. What do you want people to do about it? We're all bummed, but what kind of "fight" would you like us to engage in?

It's a statement on the Penn State program under Franklin and it's a positive statement. Was Alabama ever raiding Penn State for coaches before 2014?

This is reality at the top of college football folks, might as well get used to it. Franklin has to put in a whole lot of work recruiting and hiring because rising coaches like this are not going to stay at one place for 10 years.

This is the way it is at top SEC programs and Ohio State. Change is a constant. You hold on to good coaches as long as you can but you're not going to hold on to them for a career like it was with Paterno. And that is good. A football program stays on the cutting edge by always bringing new smart people (like Corley) in and using the ideas they bring with them. But the flip side of it is, rising young coaches like Gattis are going to rise. Gattis was ready for the next step and getting to be OC for Saban - that's about as good as it gets. I'm sure Franklin is happy for him.
Yeah got it.......nobody answered this yet though. Who you are going to lose is part of the decision of who you are going to hire, meaning if I hire this guy and lose half my staff I'm not going to hire that guy. I'm very sorry this is so upsetting to you all but it does have top be said.

Last edited:
l like Rahne, seemed like the right guy obviously very bright but yeah I'm mad, contingency one is to cow tow to the guy who might be upset especially when you already lost one. To lose 2 is a mistake and a disappointment. When have I ever lost faith in Franklin, not me........he's my guy. But to lose Huff and Gattis in the same year is a mistake. I'm not sure who it was but it was a mistake or a failure and our offense will pay next year (who's it was I don't know--Sandy, CJF, but as fans we should ask and let our opinions known!). That is how I feel.
THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!
https://alabama.rivals.com/news/des...ver-alabama-continues-to-win-under-nick-saban

You didn't answer the question. What do you want people to do about it? We're all bummed, but what kind of "fight" would you like us to engage in?
Fair, so that makes sense. I'm only looking for pressure on Sandy if needed......CJF will live with his decision either way (whether it works or not but criticism is not a bad thing). I have no idea what we pay our assistants but if we need to step it up into Alabama territory then we should, and if Sandy dropped the ball she should feel the wrath.

Yeah got it.......nobody answered this yet though. Who you're gonna lose is also part of who you hire meaning if I hire this guy and lose half my staff I'm not gonna hire that guy. I'm very sorry this is so upsetting to all you folks but it does have top be said.
who is upset? why?

Reactions: step.eng69
I spoke too soon. It's clear you're not acting. Everyone in this thread is attempting to have a discussion about Gattis leaving, except for you. Every post you've made in this thread is you taking idiotic and unwarranted shots at Joe and other posters. Message board muscles . . .

Reactions: sluggo72 and WDLion
I spoke too soon. It's clear you're not acting. Everyone in this thread is attempting to have a discussion about Gattis leaving, except for you. Every post you've made in this thread is you taking idiotic and unwarranted shots at Joe and other posters. Message board muscles . . .

So now you're talking to yourself like Bushie?

Also does Engram have any coaching and recruiting experience? I haven't followed his career at all.
Some... :)

ADDITIONAL COACHING HIGHLIGHTS: In 2015, the Ravens set a single-season record by averaging 266.9 passing yards per game despite several key injuries. In 2014, Engram’s receiving corps boasted both a 1,000-yard receiver (Smith Sr.) and a wideout who scored a team-leading 11 touchdowns (Torrey Smith). The Ravens finished eighth in the NFL in scoring with a franchise-record 409 total points (25.6 ppg) and 12th overall in total yards per game (364.9). The longtime NFL wideout also spent two seasons (2012-13) coaching receivers at the University of Pittsburgh. In his first year with the Panthers, two of Engram’s receivers (Mike Shanahan and Devin Street) earned All-Big East honors, the first time in school history the feat had been accomplished in the same season. Both players had the best statistical production of their careers. Shanahan tallied 983 yards on 62 receptions, while Street had 975 yards on 73 catches, nearly giving Pitt an unprecedented two 1,000-yard receivers in the same season. In 2011, Engram began his coaching career with the San Francisco 49ers as an offensive assistant.

2014-16: (with Baltimore) 2016: Engram’s receivers helped QB Joe Flacco set a single-season franchise record with 4,317 passing yards...WR Mike Wallace led the team and recorded his third-career 1,000-yard campaign (1,017 yards on 72 catches), including the longest offensive play in Ravens regular season history with a 95-yard TD reception vs. Pit. (11/6)...Wallace also had an NFL-high 5 receptions of at least 50 yards...WR Steve Smith Sr. led the team with 5 TD receptions in his final NFL season. 2015: Ravens set a franchise record by averaging 266.9 passing yards per game, despite having four starting QBs (Flacco, Matt Schaub, Jimmy Clausen and Ryan Mallett) for the first time in team history...WR Kamar Aiken, had a breakout year, filling in for the veteran Smith Sr. (Achilles/back), who missed nine games...Aiken posted team highs in catches (74), receiving yards (944) and receiving TDs (5). 2014: In his first season, Engram guided a talented Ravens receiving corps that boasted a 1,000-yard receiver in Smith Sr. and the team leader in touchdowns in WR Torrey Smith (11)...Smith Sr. led the team with 79 receptions for 1,065 yards, including a season-long 80-yard TD...Torrey Smith’s 11 receiving TDs ranked second most in single-season team history (Michael Jackson, 14 in 1996)...Ravens set franchise records with 409 points scored and 5,838 yards...Joined Ravens as wide receivers coach.

2012-13: (with University of Pittsburgh) 2013: Engram guided WR Tyler Boyd to a record-breaking freshman season...Boyd (85 catches for 1,174 yards) earned All-ACC and Freshman All-American honors while breaking freshman school receiving records previously held by Arizona Cardinals Pro Bowl WR Larry Fitzgerald. 2012: In his first campaign as the Panthers’ wide receivers coach, two of Engram’s wide receivers (Mike Shanahan and Devin Street) earned All-Big East honors in the same season, the first time in school history the feat had been accomplished...Both players each tallied nearly 1,000 receiving yards (Shanahan, 62 catches for 983 yards and Street, 73 catches for 975 yards).

2011: (with San Francisco) Entered the coaching ranks as an offensive assistant under then-first-year head coach Jim Harbaugh and the 49ers, who earned a trip to the NFC Championship game.

Took a job at the evil empire Alabama. Best of luck to him. Huge loss for Psu.
We should have offered him the Men's BB Head coaching Job!!!!! It could have make a positive impact on our Basketball Program. On the job training, just like with Chambers!!!!

Fair, so that makes sense. I'm only looking for pressure on Sandy if needed......CJF will live with his decision either way (whether it works or not but criticism is not a bad thing). I have no idea what we pay our assistants but if we need to step it up into Alabama territory then we should, and if Sandy dropped the ball she should feel the wrath.

I don't think its that simple. At least if we can compare Bball to Fball and the way Nate explained it for bball.
I might be wrong here but I think they almost need a big money donor to do it.

Who you are going to lose is part of the decision of who you are going to hire, meaning if I hire this guy and lose half my staff I'm not going to hire that guy.
Maybe I missed it in the three pages but it appears CJF was able to keep the guy he wanted. Under your plan, who is to say we still don't lose two out of three? It's safe to assume we hired the best guy for the job.

Again, how do you know what happened that allows you to make such a statement? Maybe CJF did all he could, fought tooth and nail, begged and pleased, and Gattis had his mind made up to leave, for whatever reasons. The way you question this and present your "passionate" plea is juvenile and moronic. Being bummed is one thing, but come on, think it thru.

The early signing period is needed for just this situation. I think that's why most head coaches are probably in favor of it. They want to get the kids before an assistant coach decides to go elsewhere.
Had Shorter not signed already, would he be looking elsewhere since Gattis was the head recruiter for him?
We can all say that players should choose the school and not the coach but you just don't know if a specific coach is the real reason a top recruit wants to attend PSU, Alabama or Ohio State etc...
One thing I'm confident about is that Franklin's the best recruiter we have and YES he can help his assistant coaches become great recruiters as well. Nothing to worry about.

Again, how do you know what happened that allows you to make such a statement? Maybe CJF did all he could, fought tooth and nail, begged and pleased, and Gattis had his mind made up to leave, for whatever reasons. The way you question this and present your "passionate" plea is juvenile and moronic. Being bummed is one thing, but come on, think it thru.

This is for Marisa

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT