ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite match of 2024 so far

Every couple of years a PSU wrestler announces the moment they have become that guy. To me this was that moment for Levi. Toeing the line at Carver after we just took a loss and methodically crushing an All American 12-0.
Great job 84. 🔥
Oops sorry PSUwrestling. I assumed it was someone else. 😇

The bout after Levi was impressive as well.

Last edited:
Levi/Franek is in my top three but I have to give the nod to MM/Amine. That was one I circled before the season started and MM blew away everybody's expectations.

My top three are:
MM/Amine
Davis/Deaugustino (because it showed that PSU has an actual AA threat at 125)
Levi/Franek

Of course this we missed out on the two regular season matches I wanted to see with SVN not getting Lovett and Brooks not getting to ragdoll AJF.

Agree with all of the above, but I really love watching Bartlett when he is zoned in and his match with Woods was a statement:

I also have to give honorable mention to the Rutgers dual where backups Barraclough and Cochran both bumped up in weight and took out ranked wrestlers. Amazing accomplishment for them and added some fun drama in a dual that wasn’t expected to have a lot of it.

Levi/Franek is in my top three but I have to give the nod to MM/Amine. That was one I circled before the season started and MM blew away everybody's expectations.

My top three are:
MM/Amine
Davis/Deaugustino (because it showed that PSU has an actual AA threat at 125)
Levi/Franek

Of course this we missed out on the two regular season matches I wanted to see with SVN not getting Lovett and Brooks not getting to ragdoll AJF.
Or Carter not getting Arnold.

I watched on TV and had it synced with Byers. I don’t know how that man can call a tournament all weekend with the energy he gives. A “How do you do!?” from Byers is about the best thing in sports broadcasting 😅😍

Reactions: flaglerlion
THIS, has to be the new leader. That was an AWESOME comeback last night.
That match was one for the ages. Certainly the best of '24. In the pantheon, I'd put it in there with Cenzo-Martinez, Bo - Martin, and Zain - Stieber. Take away the implications/setting, and I'd call it the best match of that bunch........................Interesting to me, Mitch's post match interview, it seemed like he'd just walked his dog rather than what he just accomplished. He seems to have some freaky cardio. There was a legendary boxer, early 80s, Salvador Sanchez. They said he could get his heart rate back to normal between rounds. Mitch might be on that level. I hope an interviewer asks Mitch if he was gassed in the first period, or just a breathing technique.

The match was complete fire but I liked his match against Caliendo even more. Watching him absolutely demoralize a very very good Caliendo was kind of terrifying in the best way. Comebacks are a ton of fun but personally I’ll take absolute domination

I think Shane Sparks may well replace Ryan Deakin with Mesenbrink as the guy he wants his daughter to marry
So long as he doesn't get to excitedly go on about coffee grinders on the wedding night, a Wisconsin match made in heaven....

I'll go with a Mitchell mindset and say my favorite match of his is his next one! And the one after that, and so on until he beats KOT.

You gotta go Psyco Mitch v. Slender Man. I'm not sure what an opponent has to do to slow him down, but we haven't seen it yet...

You gotta go Psyco Mitch v. Slender Man. I'm not sure what an opponent has to do to slow him down, but we haven't seen it yet...
I think KOT will get him - O’Toole is a wizard. I do believe Mitch can beat Carr, though

You older guys might remember the Lincoln McIlravy vs Gerry Abas match in the NCAA finals way back in the early 90's. Abas got a big lead on McIlravy in the beginning of the match but McIlravy just kept up the pressure and ended up winning. The final score was something like 16-14. The Mesenbrink vs Hamati match was almost a replay!

You older guys might remember the Lincoln McIlravy vs Gerry Abas match in the NCAA finals way back in the early 90's. Abas got a big lead on McIlravy in the beginning of the match but McIlravy just kept up the pressure and ended up winning. The final score was something like 16-14. The Mesenbrink vs Hamati match was almost a replay!
One of my favorite all time matches. I’ve posted it on here in the past. I loved McIlravy after that match just like I’m sure MM made a bunch of new fans after his comeback

Yeah, and I don’t think it’s close.

I think Shane Sparks may well replace Ryan Deakin with Mesenbrink as the guy he wants his daughter to marry
As far as matches go no contest but watching that young kid (Davis) win a big ten title was tremendous. Way more improbable than MM running down a top five kid. Both matches are epic Cael era statement wins.

I think KOT will get him - O’Toole is a wizard. I do believe Mitch can beat Carr, though
No question 3 minutes in, it looked like Hamiti was schooling MM. Those reattacks and scrambling were masterful even as Mitchell had the advantage multiple times only to get out funked. The first ankle pick was masterful..... then the Tasmanian Devil got unleashed. Holy crap. I suspect Mitchell felt some things for the first time that should translate well to wrestling O'Toole. There is a decent chance the lesson was learned. I don't think a future match with Hamiti will be as close, and that experience was a positive for wrestling Keegan as well.

I watched on TV and had it synced with Byers. I don’t know how that man can call a tournament all weekend with the energy he gives. A “How do you do!?” from Byers is about the best thing in sports broadcasting 😅😍
We need "How do you do" on PSU wrestling t shirts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT