ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Gattis gone

Yeah, Franklin tells every recruit, "You're coming to play for me and to play for Penn State. Coordinators may come and go." He talked about that in his signing day press conference. Saban says the same thing to his recruits.

I will say, we'll have to see what Solomon Enis says about this. Not ideal timing. If he's true blue, as Ricky Slade was when we lost our RB coach late, it won't matter.
I don't think it'll have a huge impact on Enis. If he comes to PSU, he's the one guy I'd say is committing to the school and to Franklin.

l like Rahne, seemed like the right guy obviously very bright but yeah I'm mad, contingency one is to cow tow to the guy who might be upset especially when you already lost one. To lose 2 is a mistake and a disappointment. When have I ever lost faith in Franklin, not me........he's my guy. But to lose Huff and Gattis in the same year is a mistake. I'm not sure who it was but it was a mistake or a failure and our offense will pay next year (who's it was I don't know--Sandy, CJF, but as fans we should ask and let our opinions known!). That is how I feel.
I think the offense will be just fine for numerous reasons. The one assistant on offense I think is really important is staying and that's Limegrover.

Why are we letting them go without a fight? Gattis was in my opinion our best coordinator. Give him the raise and the title (which I thought he already did get) and throw the bird to Alabama. Why am I alone on this?????

How in the hell can you say this crap??? How do you know they did not fight? I remember a recent press conference that Franklin is quoted as saying something along the lines of "I am going to fight like hell to keep this staff together". This was after the promotion of Rahne to OC....

This was not about money. This is a promotion to Co-oc under arguably the greatest college football coach of all time. It was not lateral. He will become a HC faster going to Bama than he would have at PSU. Rahne has said that he does not want to become a HC so he will not be leaving any time soon, so he was going to be stuck for a number of years here at PSU.

Good Luck Coach.

l like Rahne, seemed like the right guy obviously very bright but yeah I'm mad, contingency one is to cow tow to the guy who might be upset especially when you already lost one. To lose 2 is a mistake and a disappointment. When have I ever lost faith in Franklin, not me........he's my guy. But to lose Huff and Gattis in the same year is a mistake. I'm not sure who it was but it was a mistake or a failure and our offense will pay next year (who's it was I don't know--Sandy, CJF, but as fans we should ask and let our opinions known!). That is how I feel.

If someone wants to go, they are going to go. As I said, sometimes there are hurt feelings when someone doesn't get a promotion. Par for the course. Gattis was a good coach, no doubt. But as Penn State continues on the track they are on, their coaches are going to be valuable commodities. Might as well get used to it. Look at the turnover at Ohio State and Alabama. It's every year they are losing multiple coaches, coordinators. Trust JF and his system.

Reactions: BBrown
I think the offense will be just fine for numerous reasons. The one assistant on offense I think is really important is staying and that's Limegrover.
Alright fine, we'll paper over it but it came out of left field for me and I've thought for a while Gattis was our best young position coach. If everything was NOT done to keep that guy it will be a big mistake. I just don't know why everyone is just taking this lying down, next man up, junk. It will not be that easy. Not to mention I hate Alabama, they're just rubbing our noses in it.

How in the hell can you say this crap??? How do you know they did not fight? I remember a recent press conference that Franklin is quoted as saying something along the lines of "I am going to fight like hell to keep this staff together". This was after the promotion of Rahne to OC....
I don't know, I'm just saying we most certainly better have. Why wouldn't he stay with a big fat raise and a cushy job promotion title is beyond me but I guess I just don't understand.

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
Why are we letting them go without a fight? Gattis was in my opinion our best coordinator. Give him the raise and the title (which I thought he already did get) and throw the bird to Alabama. Why am I alone on this?????

Throwing money at assistants to retain them is a losing proposition (how did that work out with Shoop?). They're either moving up or moving out. The HC who isn't prepared fro staff turnover isn't a HC for long. Franklin is prepared.

This was not about money. This is a promotion to Co-oc under arguably the greatest college football coach of all time. It was not lateral. He will become a HC faster going to Bama than he would have at PSU. Rahne has said that he does not want to become a HC so he will not be leaving any time soon. He was going to be stuck as an assistant/wr coach for a number of years here at PSU.

Reactions: Art
Its not like the guy was taking posters on this forum and turning them into great WRs. They are talented kids. He did a great job but was looking for more opportunity and he got it a great place. Good for him.

Reactions: OhioLion and WDLion
Y
Its not like the guy was taking posters on this forum and turning them into great WRs. They are talented kids. He did a great job but was looking for more opportunity and he got it a great place. Good for him.
Well, I guess we'll see. I'm not there everyday so I'll defer to CJF but this pisses me off. The next offensive coach hire better be genius level.

I don't know, I'm just saying we most certainly better have. Why wouldn't he stay with a big fat raise and a cushy job promotion title is beyond me but I guess I just don't understand.
ambition. the key word is ambition.

Guys/gals work their asses off; coaches have beds in their offices to work 7x24 when it is needed. They aren't doing this to be stagnated in an upper middle class job. Players, this week, are getting to the gym at 6am to lift before classes start. that means they are getting up at 5 to 5:30 am (Parsons has tweeted that he had no idea it would be this much more challenging than high school).

These people do this because they want their opportunity to grab at the brass ring. At this point in time, a co-oc under Saban is about as much as an automatic ticket to your own HC position as there is. (by the way, did you see what their QB situation looks like right now).

as an aside, I marvel at how a superstar like James wants to "get paid" but have to know and understand that his payment from the team is peanuts compared to other income...so it isn't about the money, it is about the power, celebrity, status, legacy. Do you think Trump needed to be president for the money?

Sorry, Marisa, love your posts but this isn't about money. Good for Gattis, this is, ultimately, good news for PSU. Good coaches want the good people from our program.

Alright fine, we'll paper over it but it came out of left field for me and I've thought for a while Gattis was our best young position coach. If everything was NOT done to keep that guy it will be a big mistake. I just don't know why everyone is just taking this lying down, next man up, junk. It will not be that easy. Not to mention I hate Alabama, they're just rubbing our noses in it.
Next man up is the way of the world at all FBS schools nowadays. It's not junk, it's just the reality of today.

ambition. the key word is ambition.

Guys/gals work their asses off; coaches have beds in their offices to work 7x24 when it is needed. They aren't doing this to be stagnated in an upper middle class job. Players, this week, are getting to the gym at 6am to lift before classes start. that means they are getting up at 5 to 5:30 am (Parsons has tweeted that he had no idea it would be this much more challenging than high school).

These people do this because they want their opportunity to grab at the brass ring. At this point in time, a co-oc under Saban is about as much as an automatic ticket to your own HC position as there is. (by the way, did you see what their QB situation looks like right now).

as an aside, I marvel at how a superstar like James wants to "get paid" but have to know and understand that his payment from the team is peanuts compared to other income...so it isn't about the money, it is about the power, celebrity, status, legacy. Do you think Trump needed to be president for the money?

Sorry, Marisa, love your posts but this isn't about money. Good for Gattis, this is, ultimately, good news for PSU. Good coaches want the good people from our program.
Yeah all good points, where I am we work very hard to keep good people and we're usually able to do it but I do understand the dynamic difference here. Just got tired of the next man up mentality. Next man up better be the next Lombardi.......I do not want this train to stop!!!!!!!!

Genius level? Define that please.
I'm not fighting with you Howie, we don't fight. Look, genius on CJF's part not the next coaches part. Moorhead was genius level in the decision that was made. I have no idea what Ricky Rahne is capable of (no one really does, Franklin thinks he does, but he's taking a leap of faith), all I know is we now have a partially proven coordinator and an un-proven one and we lost 2/3's of the offensive staff. Pry had the luxury of keeping his assistants, Rahne won't have that, if I knew I was going to lose 2/3 of my offensive staff by promoting a guy, I don't think I would have done it. You could have brought in "a" Mark Helfrich type and not had the attrition. Everything is part of the decision including what follows once you make it and we won't know if he made the right one until years later.

Last edited:
Y

Well, I guess we'll see. I'm not there everyday so I'll defer to CJF but this pisses me off. The next offensive coach hire better be genius level.

Well then be prepared to be pissed off. I doubt there are that many "genius level" WR coaches around...as we just saw the good ones become OC pretty quickly.

I'm not fighting with you Howie, we don't fight. Look, genius on CJF's part not the next coaches part. Moorhead was genius level in the decision that was made. I have no idea what Ricky Rahne is capable of, all I know is we now have a partially proven coordinator and an un-proven one and we don't have time to rest on our laurels.
No, we don't fight. marisa, we have possibly the most talented group of WRs in the country, counting our incoming recruits. I am pretty confident that the next WR coach merely needs to be competent for that group to excel.

Yeah all good points, where I am we work very hard to keep good people and we're usually able to do it but I do understand the dynamic difference here. Just got tired of the next man up mentality. Next man up better be the next Lombardi.......I do not want this train to stop!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I work hard too but I don't work anywhere near as hard as Gattis and CJF (et all). I made the decision to get a good job where I can live a comfortable upper middle class life. These guys worked hard for next to nothing for a chance. Its in their DNA. It is a "type". Without that ambition, you'd have lazy middle-of-the-road coaches. You don't have choice. Listen, somebody from AL is complaining they can't keep their coaches too.

AL coordinators get HC jobs. They poach good programs like ours. We poach Vandy, MD, Minny and Pitt. They poach MAC schools. MAC schools poach Div 3. And so on and so fourth.

don't fight it, embrace it!

quote-if-you-don-t-like-change-you-re-going-to-like-irrelevance-even-less-eric-shinseki-53-48-44.jpg

Floated by whom exactly? I could see his name being thrown out there by those seemingly longing for anything tied to the Paterno era, but I don't know if Franklin has any ties to Engram. Also does Engram have any coaching and recruiting experience? I haven't followed his career at all.

Franklin likely already knows who he wants and has probably already had conversations with that person. I'd imagine he's known that Gattis was a flight risk for a while now.

Reactions: Howie'81
Really Judge?

Can you go a bit further and divulge please?

It was posted on Twitter (after the news broke about him leaving for Bama) that Gattis was disappointed that he didn't get the OC position. This is probably why CJF said he was going to fight to keep the staff together. He saw the writing on the wall.

Reactions: TheGLOV

How do we know what went on internally? Maybe we fought like hell and lost.
Agreed that this is a tough loss, especially for recruiting.

How about Bobby Engram to coach the wide receivers?

Next man up is the way of the world at all FBS schools nowadays. It's not junk, it's just the reality of today.

Really? I wasn't answering you.

Frankly, I'm not a fan of Rahne, Fiesta Bowl aside (though the performance was encouraging). In Franklin's spot I would have given the OC spot to Gattis before Rahne. But it's Franklin's ass on the line not mine.

If I'm Gattis and I want to be an OC, where is it likely to happen faster? Alabama. Locksley is hardly the world's best play caller and Saban is pulls the trigger faster than Franklin does.

From PSU's perspective, at the end of the day it's replacing a position. Not the end of the world> Certainly lost a great recruiter and a coach with considerable potential. But there are a lot of great recruiters and HCs have been fired waiting for potential to blossom.

Frankly, I'm not a fan of Rahne, Fiesta Bowl aside (though the performance was encouraging). In Franklin's spot I would have given the OC spot to Gattis before Rahne. But it's Franklin's ass on the line not mine.

If I'm Gattis and I want to be an OC, where is it likely to happen faster? Alabama. Locksley is hardly the world's best play caller and Saban is pulls the trigger faster than Franklin does.

From PSU's perspective, at the end of the day it's replacing a position. Not the end of the world> Certainly lost a great recruiter and a coach with considerable potential. But there are a lot of great recruiters and HCs have been fired waiting for potential to blossom.

What is your issue with Rahne?

Reactions: TheGLOV
Well then be prepared to be pissed off. I doubt there are that many "genius level" WR coaches around...as we just saw the good ones become OC pretty quickly.
OK BBrown join pile.......but I did clarify that genius level was a comparison to the decision that would need to be made along the lines of hiring an assistant coach (as in a Moorhead-type decision). And I do want you to answer this question. If you knew by promoting a guy, you would lose half the rest of the crew to competitors, would you still do it, or would you lean towards an outside hire? And isn't that a valid question to ask before you make the hire? Also, is it alright to be critical or should we all tow the company line??

Could be why Rahne is still here and Gattis is not. CJF may have had to make that "Sophies Choice".

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: BBrown
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT