ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Michigan

Just for the record, I don't come over here to be an ass kisser. My posts are usually very complimentary but are also true.
What Cael is doing is amazing, not only on the college level but also the world stage.
I appreciate great college wrestling and also am a huge fan of team USA.
This is where it's happening.
Feel free to be an ass-kisser too.

• Haha
Reactions: Sett1997
With some help from Wikipedia:

Wyoming Seminary is in the Wyoming Valley. The name "Wyoming" derives from the Munsee word xwé:wamənk, meaning "at the big river flat". Munsee is one of the Delaware Indian languages and the Delawares occupied that part of Pennsylvania back in the day.

Wyoming state most likely gets its name from the original in PA and not vice versa.
Thanks Ski! I reprimand myself for not doing the research myself and going the lazy route of asking you fine folks!

Reactions: therod
My understanding is that it is located in the Wyoming Valley, or Wyoming Borough, in Luzerne County, PA.......just outside of Wilkes-Barre, PA.
Wyoming Valley. It's in Kingston (directly across the river from W-B).

That's the easy part. Why "Seminary" -- no idea. Probably the school had a different role when it was founded.

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy

That's the easy part. Why "Seminary" -- no idea. Probably the school had a different role when it was founded.
My nephews girlfriend went there and was a member of their state championship swim relay team. Pretty pricey to send your kid their from what I gathered.

Reactions: hlstone
Just for the record, I don't come over here to be an ass kisser. My posts are usually very complimentary but are also true.
What Cael is doing is amazing, not only on the college level but also the world stage.
I appreciate great college wrestling and also am a huge fan of team USA.
This is where it's happening.
You kiss a fair amount of ass if we are being honest. You're a good poster though and have great GIFS. You also stick around and take the heat when the going gets tough. Respect for that

Fair weather fans are the worst kind.

FYI -- the 3 long-running biggest HS talent pools in the US are metro Pittsburgh, Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, and metro Cleveland.

Pitt has easy local access to 2 of those regions, and has historically recruited well from the 3rd.

Most of PA's NCAA D1 starters come from those 2 regions + the 3 PIAA Districts that comprise Central PA. (Plus the major prep schools -- Wyoming Seminary in NE PA, and Malvern Prep in suburban Philly.)

But not all -- Carter is from Erie (far NW PA). Etc.

The cities of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh produce volumes of D1 athletes but are mostly non-factors in wrestling at the HS level, let alone the college level. One big exception, Pittsburgh Central Catholic HS (Cenzo went there), though they get a lot of suburban kids.
Most of PA's high level talent is from Urban areas then? Years ago I believe Jason Bryant was telling me a lot of the talent wasn't in the the big cities of PA so the 11 million people to pick from vs the 3 million in Iowa wasn't a fair comparison.

Can you clarify a bit more?

I see the sarcastic jokes on your board occasionally. I haven't followed your board long enough and dont know what happened to know the joke. Someone dissed Nico at some point , obviously.
Tell me where it comes from so I can appreciate it.
I like Nico.
some idiot thought he was being funny but he wasn't!

Reactions: Sett1997
some idiot thought he was being funny but he wasn't!
Cat Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I found this:

At the time of the school's founding in 1844 by the Methodist Church, "seminary" was a common name for school. To this day, Wyoming Seminary maintains a connection with the Methodist Church but accepts students of all faiths. Although religious instruction is not part of our curriculum, a required Upper School course, "The Bible and Western Culture," and monthly chapel services are designed to challenge young people with the values of our Christian heritage.

Most of PA's high level talent is from Urban areas then? Years ago I believe Jason Bryant was telling me a lot of the talent wasn't in the the big cities of PA so the 11 million people to pick from vs the 3 million in Iowa wasn't a fair comparison.

LOL does iowa see Pa complaining about all the people in Cali.TX AND FLA HECK NO WE JUST KEEP WINNING!

Like I said in that post, the cities of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are non-factors for wrestling. Beat the Streets is working to change that, but it's a long slog.

PIAA D8 (City of Pittsburgh) has so few wrestlers, that it's fairly common for a guy with a terrible record like 3-14 to advance to regionals as the district champ. D12 (City of Philadelphia) is a little better than that, but not from the city kids -- it's almost always kids at the Catholic schools who may or may not be city residents. Both D8 and D12 rarely advance a wrestler to states, and practically never get a state medalist.

Many PA wrestlers are from suburban areas. Also many are from very rural areas.

PIAA D7 (metro PIttsburgh) is a mix of suburbs and rural areas. Even calling Latrobe (where Pletcher is from) an exurb is extremely generous. It's a small town with a lot of farmland between it and the Pgh suburbs. Same with Kittanning where Nolf went to HS -- and he didn't live in that town either.

In D11 (Lehigh Valley), nearly all are in suburban or rural areas. Very few are from the City of Allentown.

Also, the 3 PIAA Districts in Central PA are almost entirely rural and small towns. The City of Harrisburg and the smaller cities (Reading, Lancaster, York) have far fewer wrestlers than their suburbs and surrounding rural areas.

Last edited:
Like I said in that post, the cities of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are non-factors for wrestling. Beat the Streets is working to change that, but it's a long slog.

PIAA D8 (City of Pittsburgh) has so few wrestlers, that it's fairly common for a guy with a terrible record like 3-14 to advance to regionals as the district champ. D12 is a little better than that, but not from the city kids -- it's almost always kids at the Catholic schools who may or may not be city residents. Both D8 and D12 rarely advance a wrestler to states, and practically never get a state medalist.

PIAA D7 (metro PIttsburgh) is a mix of suburbs and rural areas. Even calling Latrobe (where Pletcher is from) an exurb is extremely generous. It's a small town with a lot of farmland between it and the Pgh suburbs. Same with Kittanning where Nolf went to HS -- and he didn't live in that town either.

In D11 (Lehigh Valley), nearly all are in suburban or rural areas. Very few are from the City of Allentown.

Also, the 3 PIAA Districts in Central PA are almost entirely rural and small towns. The City of Harrisburg and the smaller cities (Reading, Lancaster, York) have far fewer wrestlers than their suburbs and surrounding rural areas.
Adding to EJ’s info, the schools in the big cities of PA are very football/basketball centric when it comes to sports. For whatever reason, wrestling doesn’t get much interest.

Every now and then, a city school will produce a wrestling star. My favorite story in that category is Jesse Rawls Sr. who won a state title while attending John Harris HS. Jesse never even saw a wrestling mat until his family moved to Harrisburg. I think he only had 2 or 3 years of experience when he won the state championship in his senior year. He wasn’t any fluke either. The Michigan coach saw his potential and recruited him. He went on to be an AA at Michigan and he had a son, Jesse Rawls Jr who was also very good.

PIAA D8 (City of Pittsburgh) has so few wrestlers, that it's fairly common for a guy with a terrible record like 3-14 to advance to regionals as the district champ. D12 is a little better than that, but not from the city kids -- it's almost always kids at the Catholic schools who may or may not be city residents. Both D8 and D12 rarely advance a wrestler to states, and practically never get a state medalist.

"non factors in HS wrestling". I went back an read it again. Thanks.

Imagine if the inner City kids actually wrestled. The talent pool would be even bigger. Some of those kids could be, or would've been state champion caliber wrestlers and they will never know it.

In Iowa our cities just aren't big enough for that to really happen. The city Schools in Des Moines definitely have some that only play basketball or football but not a significant amount imo.

Wresting talent in Iowa is nothing compared to PA but the sport of wrestling is widespread within the state. Girls wrestling is growing at a rapid pace aswell. Love to see it.

@El-Jefe or anyone who knows, why is the school called Wyoming Seminary? It took me several years of following this Forum before I realized it was in Pennsylvania : )

Actually yes! Not by practice, but if you were young and single and lived in San Diego for any length of time, you would know that my point is quite factual.

But this is a wrestling message board, not a forum about the psychology of what women find attractive in men. So I don’t want to get pounced on for trying to hijack the thread.

A well known battle cry from a classic 80’s movie starring Patrick Swayze:

WOLVERINES!!!!
I was just joking. I did live in San Diego, but not when single.

I was just joking. I did live in San Diego, but not when single.
I didn’t think your question was serious, but couldn’t resist an honest reply that’s based on lots of memorable experiences in my younger years. 😁

When were you in San Diego? I was pretty active in the HS wrestling scene when I lived there, and made a lot of friends in the process. I also thought that there were some pretty decent programs. Poway is always the biggest powerhouse, but some of the other schools are also producing talent.

Not true. There’s a certain type of female that is attracted to the bad boys. Some of them are also very attractive.

There’s a certain type of female that is attracted to the bad boys.

Key word female. I distinguish between women (mature, sober) and mere females.

The thing with the Fiat is he's a caricature of a bad boy, with his overdone self-promotion.

There’s a certain type of female that is attracted to the bad boys.

Key word female. I distinguish between women (mature, sober) and mere females.

The thing with the Fiat is he's a caricature of a bad boy, with his overdone self-promotion.
I’m an engineer, not a psychologist. But based on my limited knowledge of the subject, I’m guessing he’s a good example of a narcissistic personality. Males who exhibit those traits definitely qualify as “bad boys.” He better come to terms with his negative attributes or he’s going to find out that the color Orange has multiple implications.

Reactions: creamery freak
My nephews girlfriend went there and was a member of their state championship swim relay team. Pretty pricey to send your kid their from what I gathered.

Sem is interesting, it's actually has two schools; one part is in Kingston, the other is in the adjoining Forty-Fort. If you pass by it on Wyoming Ave (Route 11); you just see a building that typified the multistory brick school building that was typical of the early 20th century schools that seem now to be replaced by monstrosities such as the new Wilkes Barre Area HS that replaced the three Wilkes Barre High Schools (Coughlin, GAR and Myers, all of which has pretty storied wrestling histories).

There's a couple of NEPA natives on this board and they can probably attest that it might be pricey, but it tends to be a springboard for bigger things.

My wife's family has known a family named Bittenbender for a long time. The father was, I believe either a neurologist or a neurosurgeon. One son, Fritz was the Secretary of Administration and Chief of Staff for Governor Ridge in his late 20's or early 30's and is now a corporate executive. His sister, Emily has a construction company in Philadelphia. If you go to the Constitution Center in Philadelphia, you'll see a plaque on the wall, with the name Bittenbender on it. Their mother took up gourmet cooking when she retired.

I'm sure that the Sem pipeline is not only producing great wrestlers; but academically prepared students.

As for the significance of the Wyoming Valley, The Lehigh Valley Railroad named their last steam locomotives "Wyomings", no doubt because of the money they made hauling black diamonds (anthracite coal) out of the area. They did not name any of their locomotives "Lehighs"

I’m an engineer, not a psychologist. But based on my limited knowledge of the subject, I’m guessing he’s a good example of a narcissistic personality. Males who exhibit those traits definitely qualify as “bad boys.” He better come to terms with his negative attributes or he’s going to find out that the color Orange has multiple implications.

I'm an accountant, which means I'm an amateur psychologist, so while we're speculating, I'd say that yes, he's definitely a narcissist, but I also think that narcissism is indicative of a poorly formed human being with pathological need for external affirmation. I think his pseudo-affiliation with Iowa is indicative of unmet "membership needs".

I see a huge crash and burn in his future.

My wife's family has known a family named Bittenbender for a long time. The father was, I believe either a neurologist or a neurosurgeon. One son, Fritz was the Secretary of Administration and Chief of Staff for Governor Ridge in his late 20's or early 30's and is now a corporate executive.
"Fritz Bittenbender" sounds like a @johnstownsteel handle on GIA for Nelson Brands discussions.

Adding to EJ’s info, the schools in the big cities of PA are very football/basketball centric when it comes to sports. For whatever reason, wrestling doesn’t get much interest.

Every now and then, a city school will produce a wrestling star. My favorite story in that category is Jesse Rawls Sr. who won a state title while attending John Harris HS. Jesse never even saw a wrestling mat until his family moved to Harrisburg. I think he only had 2 or 3 years of experience when he won the state championship in his senior year. He wasn’t any fluke either. The Michigan coach saw his potential and recruited him. He went on to be an AA at Michigan and he had a son, Jesse Rawls Jr who was also very good.
Didn't Hahn win a couple titles at Harrisburg and then Phil Davis?

Sem is interesting, it's actually has two schools; one part is in Kingston, the other is in the adjoining Forty-Fort. If you pass by it on Wyoming Ave (Route 11); you just see a building that typified the multistory brick school building that was typical of the early 20th century schools that seem now to be replaced by monstrosities such as the new Wilkes Barre Area HS that replaced the three Wilkes Barre High Schools (Coughlin, GAR and Myers, all of which has pretty storied wrestling histories).

There's a couple of NEPA natives on this board and they can probably attest that it might be pricey, but it tends to be a springboard for bigger things.

My wife's family has known a family named Bittenbender for a long time. The father was, I believe either a neurologist or a neurosurgeon. One son, Fritz was the Secretary of Administration and Chief of Staff for Governor Ridge in his late 20's or early 30's and is now a corporate executive. His sister, Emily has a construction company in Philadelphia. If you go to the Constitution Center in Philadelphia, you'll see a plaque on the wall, with the name Bittenbender on it. Their mother took up gourmet cooking when she retired.

I'm sure that the Sem pipeline is not only producing great wrestlers; but academically prepared students.

As for the significance of the Wyoming Valley, The Lehigh Valley Railroad named their last steam locomotives "Wyomings", no doubt because of the money they made hauling black diamonds (anthracite coal) out of the area. They did not name any of their locomotives "Lehighs"
Sem's sticker price is up there but they will work with families on the cost, especially if you are from the area (or are a good wrestler or at other sport, right hlstone, : ) I give them credit, if they wanted to, they could fill the entire school with Chinese paying full tuition and room & board however they cap foreign student enrollment.

Some of the locals are not fans of the school because they keep buying up real estate around the campus to add to their empire, some times closing it off from the community.

Overall, they appear to be able to walk that fine line of aggressively promoting its premier sports while still keeping focused on academics. That combination results in some great student athletes. Hopefully the coaches bring in some more of their top rated guys, because they have been transitioning well to Div I lately.

Last edited:

you need to ring out that crying towel and move along. You have been on these boards long enough to have had this conversation 83 times. so stop playing games and get back to your shine box.

you need to ring out that crying towel and move along. You have been on these boards long enough to have had this conversation 83 times. so stop playing games and get back to your shine box.
I was asking about the urban areas. And I learned something new from El-Jefe. Piss off

Sem's sticker price is up there but they will work with families on the cost, especially if you are from the area (or are a good wrestler or at other sport, right hlstone, : ) I give them credit, if they wanted to, they could fill the entire school with Chinese paying full tuition and room & board however they cap foreign student enrollment.

Some of the locals are not fans of the school because they keep buying up real estate around the campus to add to their empire, some times closing it off from the community.

Overall, they appear to be able to walk that fine line of aggressively promoting its premier sports while still keeping focused on academics. That combination results in some great student athletes. Hopefully the coaches bring in some more of their top rated guys, because they have been transitioning well to Div I lately.
You are 100% correct Tiger. A lot of people in the area don't like Sem for many reasons. One of them being buying up real estate. Another is they were actively recruiting wrestlers and field hockey players in our area. But that era of field hockey is done as they hired a new A.D.
They do give scholly money and need based grants are available just like college. Base price was around $25k 6 years ago when my kid was recruited to wrestle there.

The academic opportunities are top notch in the country.

One night I was bartending at Dugan's and 6 well dressed men and women sit down, order a few cocktails. After a couple of rounds I come to understand they are pregaming for their 40th Sem reunion. One guy brings out his check book and writes a check to Sem athletics for $100k and says to the other 5, "I will donate this check, if you 5 match me"

You are 100% correct Tiger. A lot of people in the area don't like Sem for many reasons. One of them being buying up real estate. Another is they were actively recruiting wrestlers and field hockey players in our area. But that era of field hockey is done as they hired a new A.D.
They do give scholly money and need based grants are available just like college. Base price was around $25k 6 years ago when my kid was recruited to wrestle there.

The academic opportunities are top notch in the country.

One night I was bartending at Dugan's and 6 well dressed men and women sit down, order a few cocktails. After a couple of rounds I come to understand they are pregaming for their 40th Sem reunion. One guy brings out his check book and writes a check to Sem athletics for $100k and says to the other 5, "I will donate this check, if you 5 match me"
Doesn’t your daughter play field hockey?

I'm an accountant, which means I'm an amateur psychologist, so while we're speculating, I'd say that yes, he's definitely a narcissist, but I also think that narcissism is indicative of a poorly formed human being with pathological need for external affirmation. I think his pseudo-affiliation with Iowa is indicative of unmet "membership needs".

I see a huge crash and burn in his future.
Cluster B personality disorders like narcissistic personality disorder are typically rooted in insecure attachment styles (avoidant or anxious-avoidant) that causes the “pathological need for affirmation” that makes it difficult to impossible for the person to treat other people normally or form/maintain normal interpersonal relationships. Attachment insecurities are most often triggered by childhood abuse or neglect or trauma.

Doesn’t your daughter play field hockey?
She does and she never wrestled. But, Sem could give wrestling scholarships, but they couldn't give FH scholarships. So it was a way around that. She would have been on the wrestling team , but it would never interfere with FH.

Reactions: Used2BEerie
She does and she never wrestled. But, Sem could give wrestling scholarships, but they couldn't give FH scholarships. So it was a way around that. She would have been on the wrestling team , but it would never interfere with FH.
Thanks, I was definitely confused.

I always wanted to drive the train.
So do I!! I’ll bet it isn’t as easy as it looks. Those modern day locomotives put out something like 10,000 HP and they are hauling thousands of tons of freight. There’s a lot of responsibility for the guy who works the throttle and brakes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT