ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa transfer portal news

This sounds so much like the Lubert interview, where he talked about always taking the long view.

Looks like a number of other programs (or at least their proxies) are selling their souls to finish maybe 2nd.

Meanwhile, Cael already has the talent and can wait out the frenzy while continuing to re-load via traditional HS recruiting.
You have Max Dean, a former finalist call Cael and said I just want your instruction, no money, no guaranteed spot I know but I want your coaching because I believe under you, I will be a national champion at any weight I go.

Evan Wick also called PSU and said he just wants in.

Some goal driven kids are just ... goal driven.

What makes it hard to complete with PSU is the simple fact that Cael and staff are the best coaches in the country. The results at NCAA's combined with the results at the Senior level leaves no doubt. If you are a wrestler with Olympic aspirations, you better not burn that bridge with Cael. What HR refuses to acknowledge is that the PSU wrestlers willingly accept less scholarship money to come to PSU to wrestle for Cael. Cael goes after guys who love wrestling and have world championship aspirations. Wrestlers are going to take less NIL money now, and in the future to wrestle for Cael. It is obvious that wrestling for Cael is the best way to reach your goals.
I just want them to be allowed to do what they want to do with it. Whatever that is. No one wants a job where they lack the proper resources to beat the competition.

How about when kids already on a roster start becoming pissed when they find out their team is bringing in a kid out of the portal and paying him a lot more.
This right here is what's really going to change things about team dynamics. How long before someone in Iowa says woods isn't wrestling hard enough to be worth what they are paying him. And how does woods respond to hearing that shit. I like the idea of kids being able to make money but it opens Pandora's box there's no way around it

Reactions: PSU Yinzer
That is the beauty of the free market after all.

Maybe all those school administrators who were hell bent on eliminating programs had this strategy all along, but I doubt it.
Its not a free market because there is no hidden hand. Those with money are going to control the market not hard to get at this point

I say go back to making non-grad transfers have to sit out a year to transfer. Less incentive to chase NIL money at another institution that way if you either lose a year of eligibility or have to wait an extra year to perform to collect it. Removes the incentive from both sides -- the buyer and the seller.
Yep

You have Max Dean, a former finalist call Cael and said I just want your instruction, no money, no guaranteed spot I know but I want your coaching because I believe under you, I will be a national champion at any weight I go.

Evan Wick also called PSU and said he just wants in.

Some goal driven kids are just ... goal driven.
And ....as a result......a guy whose walking around weight in season is about 190.......wrestles 197....and WINS. He was wrestling guys that weighed 210+ depending on how long after weigh-ins was their match....and WON. He and his family had to be so freakin' proud and happy. Sad for Beard but awesome to see him finish the perfect night. I'm guessing NIL never once entered his thoughts.

This right here is what's really going to change things about team dynamics. How long before someone in Iowa says woods isn't wrestling hard enough to be worth what they are paying him. And how does woods respond to hearing that shit. I like the idea of kids being able to make money but it opens Pandora's box there's no way around it
I’ve been thinking that too. Like when the Yankees only win 90 games on a huge payroll.

It's hard to imagine any transferring making sense for Penn State because
Assuming RBY comes back (I'd prioritize him over anything else), we have 4 of the returning champs already and have arguably the favorite for a 5th.

The rest of our lineup is manned up kids with extensive time in the room (except for Levi but he even is doing his senior year here) who were all hand picked by Cael. None of them have a redshirt besides Haines. They all have 4 years (minus Bartlett, who has 3) Do you want to push them out for a one year rental of like a Brandon Courtney, John Millner? (Those are just hypothetical names I'm throwing out)

125 - Howard (2 years in the room)
141 - Bartlett (2 years in the room)
149 - Van Ness (redshirted this year)
157 - Haines (half year in the room)
165 - Facundo (redshirted this year)

Literally the only transfer that would make sense to me is David Carr (since it lets us redshirt a kid who could potentially use it and who has it) and he already shot it down. We have our guys (once again, let's get RBY back) and with the front 5 of our 4 champs + Kerkvliet and our back half of young hungry blue chip kids, let's roll.
This is shockingly intelligent for the internet. Thanks.

Time to unleash the youngsters.

I don't follow HS recruiting like some of you, but I'm pretty sure Howard, Bartlett, VanNess, and Facundo were all top-10 recruits. Put them in the line-up with 5 returning AAs and it's hard to see where we need help in the portal. Even at 157, we have Haines available if none of the returning kids take the next step.

What makes it hard to complete with PSU is the simple fact that Cael and staff are the best coaches in the country. The results at NCAA's combined with the results at the Senior level leaves no doubt. If you are a wrestler with Olympic aspirations, you better not burn that bridge with Cael. What HR refuses to acknowledge is that the PSU wrestlers willingly accept less scholarship money to come to PSU to wrestle for Cael. Cael goes after guys who love wrestling and have world championship aspirations. Wrestlers are going to take less NIL money now, and in the future to wrestle for Cael. It is obvious that wrestling for Cael is the best way to reach your goals.
Why would PSU wrestlers take less NIL money?
You think Joe Businessman wants to endorse a blood-round loser or a National Champ? If my business was closer than the 3 hours away from SC, I would be VERY interested in giving.

I think you can get there inside 3 if you don't stop to pee.
Kendall-Jenner-Gif.gif

But what's the alternative?

If college admins are going to now start dropping programs that have been losing money for years and years because athletes can monetize their likeness, I guess that's just the way it is. Personally, that seems like an issue with those college admins, not the NIL ruling.
Is it possible that scholarships will be lessened and NIL money will be used to get athletes to come to a school? I am sure the big schools will be able to find someone to give a kid a full year scholarship or two and if he is successful, then he gets to continue with the money and if not, the NIL "sponsorship" goes away.

remember back in the day when football was there to help support other sports?now days its all about the money!!

After years and years of hearing that Cael buys his championships, it’s going to be so glorious watching Iowa lose to him yet again after watching them try to buy a championship. If there’s anything that will bring me out of my HR retirement, it will be that.
Meh, you don't know that's true. Hell, even I don't know that's true.

What I do know is I've been busy, and your board should get a few more visits from unwanted participants............be advised.

Mike

Reactions: johnstownsteel
As long as its in good fun I doubt many should get their panties in a bunch..
Depending on who you ask that might be fun too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT