ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa transfer portal news

Oh look, another Iowa thread. Cool!

Judge-Judy-Shake-My-Head-Gif_zps66b02891.gif

Do you think, the good guys have any interest?I wonder if he can wrestle 133 just in case rby calls it carreer.

So are you of the school of thought that Wyatt is leaving because of the Real Woods transfer? There’s a lot of narrative being written that it’s why the transfer happened. Because TnT knew he was leaving. Which is think is BS btw.
i have no idea. my assumption is yes until proven otherwise. he and his family have always jumped around too, so it would both not surprise me if he a) left because of the transfer or b) might have been looking around before and that's why brands went after woods so hard.

and for the record, i have no problem with the recruiting over or him leaving. the portal finally balances the power dynamic between coaches doing everything they can to improve their teams, which is their job, and wrestlers being able to pursue their best opportunity compete.

As much as I’d love to see how someone of Henson’s caliber develops in Penn State’s room, I just don’t see the fit with BB and SVN there (141-149) as well. It’d be an embarrassment of riches, but it’s hard to foresee him or SVN cutting to 133 or bulking enough to get to 149. That’s not even accounting for incoming Levi Haines at 157 too. Honestly, I could see him fitting at Mizzou given his ties back there.

As much as I’d love to see how someone of Henson’s caliber develops in Penn State’s room, I just don’t see the fit with BB and SVN there (141-149) as well. It’d be an embarrassment of riches, but it’s hard to foresee him or SVN cutting to 133 or bulking enough to get to 149. That’s not even accounting for incoming Levi Haines at 157 too. Honestly, I could see him fitting at Mizzou given his ties back there.
Let the SVN to 133 chatter begin lol. You can do it SVN, cut off your f##king head.

i have no idea. my assumption is yes until proven otherwise. he and his family have always jumped around too, so it would both not surprise me if he a) left because of the transfer or b) might have been looking around before and that's why brands went after woods so hard.

and for the record, i have no problem with the recruiting over or him leaving. the portal finally balances the power dynamic between coaches doing everything they can to improve their teams, which is their job, and wrestlers being able to pursue their best opportunity compete.
When NIL first came out, I was adamant that we could see programs starting to be cut because of it. Willie brought up some great points about NIL on his show today… check it out if you get a chance.

Anyway, if I were running a college, why would I keep programs around that gets very little attention and runs in the red every year? To serve as a platform for the athlete to make money? And you’re supplying him scholarship dollars while he is doing it?? Also, whats gonna happen when all those small programs start having their athletes poached away by the power program? How long do we expect Universities to give away scholarships, put resources into developing kids…losing money every year only to have bigger programs steal them away?

I think NIL is going to be bad for the sport. For those who are all for this, you have no room to bitch when smaller programs are being cut. And I think that’s going to happen.

When NIL first came out, I was adamant that we could see programs starting to be cut because of it. Willie brought up some great points about NIL on his show today… check it out if you get a chance.

Anyway, if I were running a college, why would I keep programs around that gets very little attention and runs in the red every year? To serve as a platform for the athlete to make money? And you’re supplying him scholarship dollars while he is doing it?? Also, whats gonna happen when all those small programs start having their athletes poached away by the power program? How long do we expect Universities to give away scholarships, put resources into developing kids…losing money every year only to have bigger programs steal them away?

I think NIL is going to be bad for the sport. For those who are all for this, you have no room to bitch when smaller programs are being cut. And I think that’s going to happen.
Maybe I'm way off on this (I'm certainly no legal expert and would love to be corrected or better informed on this), but it doesn't matter what anyone thinks about it or who is "all for this".

The fact is there is no legal basis to deny these athletes the ability to be compensated for their name, image, or likeness.

It's not like the NCAA finally gave in to people advocating for it. Our nation's highest court told them they couldn't do it anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more sports adopt a FCS/FBS split like football where smaller programs without the NIL athletes can still compete on equal footing.

Demas wasn’t effective at 149. If they bump Murin or him to 157, it doesn’t do anything to their lineup except give them a qualifier at 157 vs a nobody. They’d still have a R12 or lower AA level guy at 149.

Demas wasn’t effective at 149. If they bump Murin or him to 157, it doesn’t do anything to their lineup except give them a qualifier at 157 vs a nobody. They’d still have a R12 or lower AA level guy at 149.
yeah that makes no sense to me. they had one common opponent this year. gfeller beat demas 9-3. murin beat gfeller 8-4 and 5-2. i think murin + nobody outscores demas+murin.

Maybe I'm way off on this (I'm certainly no legal expert and would love to be corrected or better informed on this), but it doesn't matter what anyone thinks about it or who is "all for this".

The fact is there is no legal basis to deny these athletes the ability to be compensated for their name, image, or likeness.

It's not like the NCAA finally gave in to people advocating for it. Our nation's highest court told them they couldn't do it anymore.
Sure it matters what some people think. It matters what the people running these colleges think. Especially all of the ones losing money by offering the sport… and its a lot of them.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
I see Henson going to Mizzou. He has ties to the state and they have a need at 141 after this year. Hart is a senior and Zeke Seltzer is listed as a 133. Solid young team that he would fit in with. I think he would have a good shot of beating Hart out for the spot this year but if not he would have a clear path for the following 3 years.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
yeah that makes no sense to me. they had one common opponent this year. gfeller beat demas 9-3. murin beat gfeller 8-4 and 5-2. i think murin + nobody outscores demas+murin.
I keep hearing about bumping Murin to 157 ... that would be an awful idea IMO. He hasn't gotten over the hump yet at 149 but I don't know how anyone can look at him and think he has the frame/size to handle 157. Murin also has earned the right to go a weight he can succeed at for his 6th year.

Sure it matters what some people think. It matters what the people running these colleges think. Especially all of the ones losing money by offering the sport… and its a lot of them.
Still, the Supreme Court said it's here.

So it doesn't matter who likes it or not.

Likewise there's no point in regretting it. It's the law and it's not going back. Just need to adapt.

Reactions: baccafarmer and ss7
He isn't happy about being recruited over and Woods getting 225k. Welcome to D1 wrestling these days. The money hurt will be a factor now and in the future.
225K is the going rate for a guy who has finished R12 and 6th in his 2 NCAAs? (Yes I'm aware he's one of the favorites at 141 next year.)

If true, Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh

Where do you hear this that doesn't come from someone that is clueless?
I saw a few Iowa fans talk about bumping Murin to 157 to make room for both Henson and Woods. If they're going after Dom Demas (allegedly) then the idea has to be being entertained at least. I surely hope they aren't paying money for Dom Demas lol.

Still, the Supreme Court said it's here.

So it doesn't matter who likes it or not.

Likewise there's no point in regretting it. It's the law and it's not going back. Just need to adapt.
My point is, the Supreme Court can’t stop Universities from dropping programs who don’t want to deal with the ruling and no longer want to lose money just to serve as a platform for some of the athletes to make money or to serve as a feeder program for the power teams. So technically, it does matter if some people don’t like it.

I saw a few Iowa fans talk about bumping Murin to 157 to make room for both Henson and Woods. If they're going after Dom Demas (allegedly) then the idea has to be being entertained at least. I surely hope they aren't paying money for Dom Demas lol.
They are desperate if they are paying Dom Demas who has pretty much regressed during his days in Norman.

Reactions: Ski and Str8DBLz
My point is, the Supreme Court can’t stop Universities from dropping programs who don’t want to deal with the ruling and no longer want to lose money just to serve as a platform for some of the athletes to make money or to serve as a feeder program for the power teams. So technically, it does matter if some people don’t like it.
But what's the alternative?

If college admins are going to now start dropping programs that have been losing money for years and years because athletes can monetize their likeness, I guess that's just the way it is. Personally, that seems like an issue with those college admins, not the NIL ruling.

But what's the alternative?

If college admins are going to now start dropping programs that have been losing money for years and years now that athletes can monetize their likeness, I guess that's just the way it is. Personally, that seems like an issue with those college admins, not the NIL ruling.
There is no alternative. And yes, that’ll just have to be the way it is. I only wanted to say that to me, NIL is going to be bad for collegiate wrestling. Many are happy that the athlete can now make money, don’t feel a scholarship was enough for them. I’m just not one of those people.

Last edited:

I'll say this.. If you receive NIL then your scholarship should be lowered if not cut.

I'll say this.. If you receive NIL then your scholarship should be lowered if not cut.
I just don't understand this attitude.

When I look at the system of college athletics, I don't think we need to take additional steps to prevent or reduce an athlete's ability to make money while playing.

They earned their scholarship based on their athletic ability. Why are we taking it away because someone else wants to pay them for their likeness or social media presence?

This is where I’m at with it. Hell, a lot of Universities are in part tax payer funded. Why should I… John Q tax payer be paying for an athlete of a sport I don’t even care about? And why would I want my taxes to go toward his scholarship and the money it takes to develop him into a contender only to watch him jump to another school for his payday. You can bet your asses these are gonna be questions some school admins are gonna have to answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Str8DBLz and Ski
I just don't understand this attitude.

When I look at the system of college athletics, I don't think we need to take additional steps to prevent or reduce an athlete's ability to make money while playing.
Some people like me feel they were already being compensated by having some or even all of his college being paid. But yes, I agree, most people feel the same as you. All I’m saying is be prepared for what’s most likely gonna come from it.

Also, look at Stanford. Are they now fully funded by donors or are they still going to be in the red every year? I’m thinking they will still be in the red. So after just deciding to just keep the program, they are now suppose to just accept being a feeder system to Iowa on their dime? I doubt it. Well, not for long anyway…

Some people like me feel they were already being compensated by having some or even all of his college being paid. But yes, I agree, most people feel the same as you. All I’m saying is be prepared for what’s most likely gonna come from it.

Also, look at Stanford. Are they now fully funded by donors or are they still going to be in the red every year? I’m thinking they will still be in the red. So after driving to just keep the program, they are now suppose to just accept being a feeder system to Iowa on their dime? I doubt it. Well, not for long anyway…
I feel I don't get to tell college athletes whether or not they should be allowed to make money in specific ways. My feelings on their compensation don't matter and my college sports fandom isn't affected by whether the athletes make money beyond their scholarship.

And most of your issue seems to be with transfers, not NIL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT