ADVERTISEMENT

If Bama, Oregon and Texas win CCGs, it is going to be a $hitshow....

Nah, Oregon gets left out even if they are probably better than both Texas and Alabama. Can't leave out Bama and the SEC unless there is no other choice and can't take Bama without taking Texas.

I'm still hoping for Bama to win and then all the undefeateds and Texas winning. It will be hilarious seeing the SEC not send a team to the CFP.

Edit: actually thinking more about it, I think they are backed into a corner and need to leave the SEC out with the scenario posited in the original post. Can't really have both Bama and Texas leap Oregon is the Ducks beat Washington. So Michigan, FSU, Oregon and Texas in that case.

What made it more foreseeable this year than other years in your opinion?

Nothing made it more foreseeable genius - it has been a crapshow multiple years... that's what made it foreseeable. They had a chance to implement 12-Team Format this year and didn't do it - DUMB! What precisely did the gain by doing the proven flawed "4-Team Invitational" not a playoff structure for another year? Slowplaying the implementation of the 12-Team true Playoff structure makes zero sense.

Nah, Oregon gets left out even if they are probably better than both Texas and Alabama. Can't leave out Bama and the SEC unless there is no other choice and can't take Bama without taking Texas.

I'm still hoping for Bama to win and then all the undefeateds and Texas winning. It will be hilarious seeing the SEC not send a team to the CFP.

Edit: actually thinking more about it, I think they are backed into a corner and need to leave the SEC out with the scenario posited in the original post. Can't really have both Bama and Texas leap Oregon is the Ducks beat Washington. So Michigan, FSU, Oregon and Texas in that case.
It would have been even more fun if Bama had lost to Auburn as they should have and then beat GA. Sound familiar. I'll bet they wouldn't have left the SEC champs out. Too bad. I really wanted to see that scenario.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
It would have been even more fun if Bama had lost to Auburn as they should have and then beat GA. Sound familiar. I'll bet they wouldn't have left the SEC champs out. Too bad. I really wanted to see that scenario.
They obviously would have left out Alabama

Reactions: NedFromYork
At least one or two teams are gonna get screwed. I'm confident of that.

I was just watching a dude named Andy Staples (never heard of him before, but I think he is with ON3) break down this mess, and he included the teams bunched at Nos. 9 through 12. In his mind, this means Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Missouri, and Penn State. In THAT order. No PSU love from Mr. Staples. I certainly hope he proves to be wrong. I'd hate to see the Lions ranked No. 12 and left out of the NY6 bowls in order to accommodate Tulane.

Reactions: m.knox

I was just watching a dude named Andy Staples (never heard of him before, but I think he is with ON3) break down this mess, and he included the teams bunched at Nos. 9 through 12. In his mind, this means Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Missouri, and Penn State. In THAT order. No PSU love from Mr. Staples. I certainly hope he proves to be wrong. I'd hate to see the Lions ranked No. 12 and left out of the NY6 bowls in order to accommodate Tulane.
ACC will almost certainly get Louisville in, and they will be ranked below us…really need to be 10th or higher

Bama could jump all the way to 2 depending on what else happens. Beating Georgia easily gets them ahead of Texas (despite the H2H). The real question is how far does Georgia fall as the committee clearly thinks they're significantly better than anyone else. I'm still not convinced they're out if they lose.

Am I the only one that absolutely does not want to see a PSU vs Tulane bowl game? I'll be a bit disappointed if that happens. However, if it does, PSU needs to drop 60 and smother them on defense otherwise let the meltdown continue.

I am hopeful for a big boy game though.

Reactions: Ian
Am I the only one that absolutely does not want to see a PSU vs Tulane bowl game? I'll be a bit disappointed if that happens. However, if it does, PSU needs to drop 60 and smother them on defense otherwise let the meltdown continue.

People wouldn't have realistic expectations if they think that we should beat Tulane by 60. We'd be a two TD favorite, and would hopefully do the job to win it and move to 11-2. If we play them, we play them, but no reason to think anything less than a Delaware/UMass like performance is a letdown (or even Michigan St/Maryland for that matter). That's how teams like this end up beating the big boys, even when they have less talent.

1979 Liberty Bowl. 7-4 PSU beats 9-2 Tulane 9-6. No touchdowns. One fugly game.

• Love
Reactions: step.eng69
People wouldn't have realistic expectations if they think that we should beat Tulane by 60. We'd be a two TD favorite, and would hopefully do the job to win it and move to 11-2. If we play them, we play them, but no reason to think anything less than a Delaware/UMass like performance is a letdown (or even Michigan St/Maryland for that matter). That's how teams like this end up beating the big boys, even when they have less talent.
Let's just hope if they do overlook this opponent, it doesn't come back to bite them. What we think or say obviously has no bearing on the team's mentality.

That said, if PSU wants to reach "elite" status, they will need to be able to handle teams like this with ease, every time.

I just don't care for this type of bowl game match-up because PSU has nothing to gain and everything to lose in my opinion...

I realize that teams like this deserve opportunities to prove themselves. But I do not believe they are better than many teams even ranked outside of the top 25.

Any given day though.

Let's just hope if they do overlook this opponent, it doesn't come back to bite them. What we think or say obviously has no bearing on the team's mentality.
I think it does to some extent...if everyone in the fanbase is looking at the game as a letdown, the team hears about how easy it will be from the media and their friends/family, it's only human nature for it to rub off on some level. I'm sure our coaches will have an easier time getting the team mentally focused for Alabama than for Tulane/Liberty.

Reactions: PennState_one
I think it does to some extent...if everyone in the fanbase is looking at the game as a letdown, the team hears about how easy it will be from the media and their friends/family, it's only human nature for it to rub off on some level. I'm sure our coaches will have an easier time getting the team mentally focused for Alabama than for Tulane/Liberty.
I agree with this 100%. This weekend will tell it all in terms of who we play 🤞.

It is a shame that the offense couldn't have helped this elite defense just a tiny bit against those other 2 teams.... It got old hearing about Michigan running 32 straight times. That never should have been able to happen and they (Michigan) know it.

That said, if PSU wants to reach "elite" status, they will need to be able to handle teams like this with ease, every time.

I just don't care for this type of bowl game match-up because PSU has nothing to gain and everything to lose in my opinion...

I realize that teams like this deserve opportunities to prove themselves. But I do not believe they are better than many teams even ranked outside of the top 25.

Any given day though.

Did Joe handle them with ease in the 9-6, 1979 game?

Nothing made it more foreseeable genius - it has been a crapshow multiple years... that's what made it foreseeable. They had a chance to implement 12-Team Format this year and didn't do it - DUMB! What precisely did the gain by doing the proven flawed "4-Team Invitational" not a playoff structure for another year? Slowplaying the implementation of the 12-Team true Playoff structure makes zero sense.
I've posted this BCS chatter video from 2014 before. These guys trying to make sense out of nonsense always stuck with me. I think of it whenever I'm reading or hearing deliberating which 4 teams should be in the CPF because this is one sport where rankings involve a certain amount of subjectivity.
Ppphhhfffttt, what a j🤡ke:

We are #10 in the current playoff rankings. They aren't moving us below Ole Miss nor Oklahoma after the ccgs. The only games that matter for us is Iowa losing and Texas winning. If either of those 2 occur, we probably drop to Citrus.

If Iowa wins wont that also qualify?

Yep. And likely take our spot in NY6 and bump us to Citrus.

I guess there is a slim chance that Iowa winning in their game against Michigan makes our win over them so impressive that maybe we leap over Missouri. Maybe? Yeah, I don't think so either.

(Ignoring that Iowa won't beat Michigan.)

We are #10 in the current playoff rankings. They aren't moving us below Ole Miss nor Oklahoma after the ccgs. The only games that matter for us is Iowa losing and Texas winning. If either of those 2 occur, we probably drop to Citrus.

Yep. And likely take our spot in NY6 and bump us to Citrus.

Isn't there someone else that could lose which would then bump PSU back in. The top teams are all playing each other. Half will lose.

I have been watching bowls my whole life and I really do not understand the selection process with the exception of the Rose Bowl. The whole thing is confusing.

Reactions: johnmpsu
Isn't there someone else that could lose which would then bump PSU back in. The top teams are all playing each other. Half will lose.

Oregon or Alabama losing could in theory drop below us, but seems very unlikely. I guess there's the question of Texas if they lose if they could drop down below us, but with the Alabama win in their pocket, I don't see that. Louisville, Oklahoma St and Iowa are all below us already. No undefeated team would fall below us by losing their first game.

Historically, the playoff committee hasn't penalized teams much for losing in a championship game.

The 12-team thing-a-ma-jig is also an ‘Invitational”

Reactions: johnmpsu
Michigan is in…
Georgia vs. Bama for a spot
Oregon vs. Washington for a spot
Chaos only occurs if FSU loses…

Unfortunately if O$U doesn’t get in PSU will miss out on a NY6 bowl but head to Citrus to battle a good SEC team. That’s better than playing Tulane.

Reactions: PennState_one

Any given day though.
Could be Liberty if SMU beats Tulane.

If Iowa, which is already ranked below PSU, loses to No. 2 Michigan in the Big Ten CCG, how would that, in itself, drop PSU from a NY6 bowl slot? Because PSU's win over Iowa becomes less impressive? I have to think that would have an exceedingly marginal effect, given that Michigan is, by all accounts, a profoundly better team than Iowa.

Also, how would Texas beating Oklahoma State in the Big 12 CCG affect PSU? Texas is already ranked higher than PSU, and a win over Okie State is unlikely to move the needle very much. It may enhance Texas' shot at the CFB Playoff if one of the undefeated teams does a faceplant on the final weekend, but how would that, in itself, affect PSU?

That being said, if the choice was a Cotton Bowl or Peach Bowl slot opposite Tulane vs. a Citrus Bowl slot against a representative Power 5 team, I would prefer the Citrus Bowl berth. Even if it pays a little less.

If Iowa, which is already ranked below PSU, loses to No. 2 Michigan in the Big Ten CCG, how would that, in itself, drop PSU from a NY6 bowl slot? Because PSU's win over Iowa becomes less impressive? I have to think that would have an exceedingly marginal effect, given that Michigan is, by all accounts, a profoundly better team than Iowa.
Yea, Iowa losing is what helps us here...Iowa winning, and we're almost certainly outside the NY6, since we'd drop to 4th in the Big Ten pecking order.

I'm thinking he meant that if Iowa losing or Texas winning doesn't happen, it puts our spot in jeopardy (though Texas losing means that we might jump ahead of them, though it would be close).

Reactions: lazydave841

Don't discount the mental gymnastics the committee is capable of to achieve a desired outcome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT