ADVERTISEMENT

Give me your prediction: PSU-Iowa

It’s a Penn State fan site, and a game prediction thread. PSU is currently undefeated. Who did you think PSU fans would predict as the winner?

It will be a hard fought game. I don’t see a blow out by either team. If Penn State doesn’t turn the ball over, they have a good chance to win. While inconsistent on offense they do have a couple of explosive players. Our back seven on defense are athletic and fast. If Iowa has to throw to win I like our chances of generating a couple of our own turnovers.

While they have held up for the most part our front four can have trouble with a power running team. I’m not sure how good Iowa is at grinding out long drives. So far they haven’t had to do it very often.
I have no idea who will win, but I expect a good close game.
I can totally get on board with this take SR108. Good post. Iowa has 1 95 yard drive that took over 8 minutes, but it wasn't against the PSU defense ;-).

The Iowa OL is a work in progress as they have been flipping guys in and out all season so far trying to get the right combination (one of our best guards - Kyler Schott #64 - is coming off injury and is now getting close to 100%, other freshman and sophomores are being shuffled in and out). This can account for some of the inconsistency in the run game. It will be a big test to see how far they have progressed this Saturday.

I like Iowa because of these 3 things:

1) Home field advantage - It is huge this year due to the C19 layoff. The crowds just seem even more engaged and raucous, though Kinnick has really been that way anyway, but it may even be more so this year. Which tough environment has Clifford been in so far? How will he react? We'll see ...

2) Iowa's Special Teams. This is a top 3 unit overall in the country. Kick-off, Kick-return, punt, punt-return, FG unit are all top notch. There will be some big plays in the STs game and Iowa has the advantage.

3) Iowa's Defense. The very young DL (save VanValkenburg) has been playing a high level. They rotate 8 guys to stay fresh up front. The back 7 could be the best Iowa has had in a very long time. They don't give up many chunk plays so Clifford will need to be patient. I watched the whole Wisconsin vs PSU game and there were a couple of breakdowns in the Wisconsin secondary which gave PSU their scoring strikes. Great job on exploiting that, but that won't likely happen vs Iowa. We'll see ...

This should go down to the wire unless Clifford and the PSU offense get impatient, or the PSU special teams have an off day. I'll have a prediction later in the week.

And turnover margin has nothing to do with what I was responding to. Which was the implication that Iowa doesn’t make mistakes.
Got it. I should have been clearer. I was thinking their D makes so few mistakes that
And turnover margin has nothing to do with what I was responding to. Which was the implication that Iowa doesn’t make mistakes.
Oh, I see. In my earlier post I meant Iowa doesn’t make mistakes on D, which is why I fear our O could look even erratic than it did against IU.

Let’s talk about the schedules. I posted a link to a reputable computer guy, Jeff Sagarin, who said Iowa’s schedule is tougher. What I get in return is derision of a road win over a then top ten team.

I think it’s a minority, but many of your fans on this board have no interest in talking about a football game, and only seeking to interact with opposing fans that agree with the viewpoint that Penn State is the superior team.

Penn State May very well be superior. I don’t know. I do think that many on here dismiss the Iowa defense. Dismiss the results of last year. Dismiss the ability of the Iowa defense to turn people over. Look solely at the fact PSU beat a ranked team at home in a night game as the deciding factor. Ignoring the fact that they are going to be facing a higher ranked team on the road. A historically tough place to play, even though you’ve had some success.

Schedules

Penn State
Wisconsin 16-0 1-3
Ball State 44-13 2-3
Auburn 28-20 4-1
Villanova 38-17 3-1
Indiana 24-0 2-3
12-11

Iowa
Indiana 34-6 2-3
Iowa State 27-17 3-2
Kent State 30-7 2-3
Colorado State 24-14 1-3
Maryland 51-14 4-1
12-12

If Sagarin has your schedule as harder, it's strictly because Villanova is FCS. Heck, Colorado State lost to a FCS school and Vanderbilt.

Indiana is a wash as we both played them.

I think we can agree that Auburn > Maryland, but y'all won more convincingly. ISU is a better win than Wisconsin currently, but they'd be a pick em if they played next week on a neutral field.

Schedule is probably awash right now. Going forward, ours definitely gets harder. Iowa's, considerably weaker.

Reactions: nits74
I can totally get on board with this take SR108. Good post. Iowa has 1 95 yard drive that took over 8 minutes, but it wasn't against the PSU defense ;-).

The Iowa OL is a work in progress as they have been flipping guys in and out all season so far trying to get the right combination (one of our best guards - Kyler Schott #64 - is coming off injury and is now getting close to 100%, other freshman and sophomores are being shuffled in and out). This can account for some of the inconsistency in the run game. It will be a big test to see how far they have progressed this Saturday.

1) Home field advantage - It is huge this year due to the C19 layoff. The crowds just seem even more engaged and raucous, though Kinnick has really been that way anyway, but it may even be more so this year. Which tough environment has Clifford been in so far? How will he react? We'll see ...

2) Iowa's Special Teams. This is a top 3 unit overall in the country. Kick-off, Kick-return, punt, punt-return, FG unit are all top notch. There will be some big plays in the STs game and Iowa has the advantage.

3) Iowa's Defense. The very young DL (save VanValkenburg) has been playing a high level. They rotate 8 guys to stay fresh up front. The back 7 could be the best Iowa has had in a very long time. They don't give up many chunk plays so Clifford will need to be patient. I watched the whole Wisconsin vs PSU game and there were a couple of breakdowns in the Wisconsin secondary which gave PSU their scoring strikes. Great job on exploiting that, but that won't likely happen vs Iowa. We'll see ...

This should go down to the wire unless Clifford and the PSU offense get impatient, or the PSU special teams have an off day. I'll have a prediction later in the week.
Unless it’s crazy windy, kickoff return is meaningless as Stout has kicked all but one kickoff through the end zone.

Besides that, with the Iowa defense we are hearing about, we will probably only kick off once anyway.

He’s beaten Iowa and the refs in a night game at Kinnick. Do you feel that was a tough environment?

Reactions: NedFromYork
This game is way to close for me to venture a prediction so I'll go the observation/question route:
  • Of Iowa D's turnovers, how many are giveaways (offense fault - e.g. INTs from tip passes, bad QB read, or bad ball security) vs takeaways (D makes a great play)?
    • I know one could say a great D causes those offensive mistakes but some can just be purely on the Offense.
    • I know the same could be said for our own D so I guess it would be a worthwhile comparison.
  • A prior post noting 25% of Iowa drives starting in opposing team's territory is quite the stat. If my math is right, PSU has had 5/60 (8%) start in opposition territory. It increases to 12% if you include 2 drives that started at the 50. I thought it would be interesting to compare how successful each side is with 50+ drives and 80+ drives:
50+ yds (% of all drives)80+ yds scoring
Penn State23 (38%)6 (10%)
Iowa12 (18%)4 (6%)
  • Does this mean much given that Iowa started 25% of their drives in opposition territory? It does likely skew things quite a bit. Who knows but in terms of raw numbers--68 Iowa drives compared to 60 for PSU, I would think they would have a bit more in each category. Iowa has punted 7 more times than PSU (again, not sure how meaningful that is).
  • In terms of schedule comparison, what is Iowa's noteworthy win? It can't really be Iowa State. In 5 games, Iowa State has beaten 3 bad teams (I'm counting Northern Iowa as bad since they are FCS) and zero good wins. It's got to be Maryland who will be a 6-6 or 7-5 team whose win vs WVU might be their best.
  • I don't think anyone here would argue Wisconsin is a good win for us. We've beaten 4 bad teams (I'm counting Nova as bad since they are FCS). Ours has to be Auburn who like ISU has 3 bad wins but they do have a win at LSU.
  • In terms of coaching, I would think PSU has the edge at the coordinators but Iowa at the HC level--just my opinion.
  • When is the last time Iowa beat a good/great PSU team? 2009 (finished 11-2 and #9). When is the last time PSU beat a good/great Iowa team? 2019 (they finished 10-3 and #15). The 2016-17-18 wins were vs 8/8/9 win teams.
  • Is it just me or is Iowa the one school whose fans invade this board more than any others when there is a big game between the two? OSU and Mich have some level of cache to do so. Maryland and Rutgers for some level of geographic rivalry to touch upon. It has always felt like from a historical perspective, they feel Iowa football is at the same level of PSU. I don't believe the stats bear that out, even if you look at the most recent 10 years...
1982-2020 (2011-2020)10 win seasons Bowl recordRose/Fiesta/Cotton/Orange/Peach/Sugar Bowl appearancesFinish in top 10 rankings
Penn State14 (3)17-11 (3-4)11 (3)13 (3)
Iowa9 (2)15-14-1 (3-5)5 (1)5 (1)

He’s beaten Iowa and the refs in a night game at Kinnick. Do you feel that was a tough environment?

A new season now, but yes, Clifford did well in this game, he has something to build on (what about his supporting cast, who else played in that 2019 game?) ... For some reason I thought McSorely was still there for that one ... I guess it only seemed like he had 6 years of eligibility LOL.

I know the IU game ended less than 12 hours ago but it’s time to move on to one of the biggest games of the year.

Listened to some of the PSU media talking about Iowa and PSU and they seem to think low scorIng game with PSU having a bit of an edge.

PSU-17
Iowa-13

i say the defense either score or sets up a short scoring drive vs The Hawks
Psu6
Iowa 4

Reactions: BobPSU92 and SR108
I would predict a relatively low scoring defensive struggle if both teams "play to form". In terms of either team winning by a large margin, I would say it's low probability based on the stats to date, but the probability would be in PSU's favor imho as Iowa simply doesn't have the offense to blowout other top-ranked teams. In that regard, the key matchup in the game is PSU's Passing Offense versus Iowa's Pass Defense. It is the only major match up that is not clear who has the advantage imho (i.e., PSU's Run Offense vs Iowa Run Defense -- Advantage Iowa Run Defense; Iowa Run Offense vs PSU Run Defense -- Advantage PSU Run Defense; Iowa Pass Offense vs PSU Pass Defense -- Advantage PSU Pass Defense).

Iowa's Pass Defense has been excellent, but by the same token, PSU's Passing Game was the difference in both the Wisonsin and Auburn games. Dotson has caused major match-up problems for opponents and TEs have emerged as a major weapon in PSU's Pass Offense. Again, I think this is going to be an extremely key matchup in this game - if PSU's Passing Game has success against Iowa, especially early, this could cause a problem for Iowa as it would put major pressure on a bad Iowa offense going up against a very good PSU Defense. If Iowa is able to contain PSU's Passing Game, this is shaping up to be a low-scoring punt-fest battle of field position and Special Teams.

Reactions: ftlpsu
I know the IU game ended less than 12 hours ago but it’s time to move on to one of the biggest games of the year.

Listened to some of the PSU media talking about Iowa and PSU and they seem to think low scorIng game with PSU having a bit of an edge.

PSU-17
Iowa-13

i say the defense either score or sets up a short scoring drive vs The Hawks
PSU 27-14

I wouldn’t question the Penn State fan who predicted a victory. That makes sense. I question the Penn State fan who is derisive of any point that an Iowa fan makes that gives the Hawks a chance.

Case in point, an entire thread dismissive of Iowa schedule as cake when it is rated tougher than the Penn State schedule.

Part of that is that it’s so early. We don’t really know how good Wisconsin is, or Iowa State, or even Auburn. I get that.
Unless it’s crazy windy, kickoff return is meaningless as Stout has kicked all but one kickoff through the end zone.

Besides that, with the Iowa defense we are hearing about, we will probably only kick off once anyway.
Punting is about even as well. Iowa has the field goal advantage.

Reactions: lazydave841

1.) Definite plus for Iowa.
2.) Won’t matter since teams don’t return kickoffs (or punts really) against PSU, so your returners won’t make much of an impact.
3.) Your paragraph could be talking exactly about PSU. Scary how similar the description is.

The main area you forgot to post about is in games of pretty much evenly matched teams, usually the one with the better QB wins. I think that edge goes to PSU. I don’t predict games, so I’m not saying who will win, but I would certainly think if you’re looking to make a prediction, QB has to be a top three consideration.

1.) Definite plus for Iowa.
2.) Won’t matter since teams don’t return kickoffs (or punts really) against PSU, so your returners won’t make much of an impact.
3.) Your paragraph could be talking exactly about PSU. Scary how similar the description is.

The main area you forgot to post about is in games of pretty much evenly matched teams, usually the one with the better QB wins. I think that edge goes to PSU. I don’t predict games, so I’m not saying who will win, but I would certainly think if you’re looking to make a prediction, QB has to be a top three consideration.
On #2, what about FGs? I think this game could come down to that. Iowa's guy has only missed 1 after a bad snap/crazy hold (A Senior who has been very solid from 50 and in). Not sure how your guy is doing, maybe he is great. If your punter can kick them high enough every time, then that will nullify the advantage I guess .... #16 Charlie Jones is a threat though (I know Dotson is as well, but our coverage teams have been pretty excellent so far).

Petras is steadily getting better and better. He hasn't been asked to or needed to be dynamic/prolific this season thus far. He is probably a little underrated because he doesn't get a lot of chances TBO (this week he may have to, we'll see). The OL as I stated in another post has been inconsistent, but getting better so that helps Petras obviously. I frankly wasn't impressed by Clifford vs Wisconsin save a couple nice deep balls when the Badgers had broken coverage. He was pretty game in the Auburn win, but wasn't the pure passer that worries me (guys that can pick apart a 2 deep zone). His legs are a concern though.

On #2, what about FGs? I think this game could come down to that. Iowa's guy has only missed 1 after a bad snap/crazy hold (A Senior who has been very solid from 50 and in). Not sure how your guy is doing, maybe he is great. If your punter can kick them high enough every time, then that will nullify the advantage I guess .... #16 Charlie Jones is a threat though (I know Dotson is as well, but our coverage teams have been pretty excellent so far).

Petras is steadily getting better and better. He hasn't been asked to or needed to be dynamic/prolific this season thus far. He is probably a little underrated because he doesn't get a lot of chances TBO (this week he may have to, we'll see). The OL as I stated in another post has been inconsistent, but getting better so that helps Petras obviously. I frankly wasn't impressed by Clifford vs Wisconsin save a couple nice deep balls when the Badgers had broken coverage. He was pretty game in the Auburn win, but wasn't the pure passer that worries me (guys that can pick apart a 2 deep zone). His legs are a concern though.
Your qb sucks, as is usual for Iowa. Same for Wisconsin. Sooner you acknowledge that fact, the sooner you can fix it. But no, you think your qb is fine. He'll be the reason you lose.

Our FG kicker (who’s also our punter and kickoff guy) has a ton of distance. He’s missed a few this year, but he gives you the possibility of 50+ yarders. And on punts, he definitely kicks it high enough. The dude just has a monster leg.

Clifford didn’t have a great game against Wiscy, but was very good against Auburn. He’s on and off with accuracy, but overall he’s solid.

Reactions: j0nnyhb_Prime
On the bottom, you have the CSU defender (Group of 5) a few steps late. The top shows a Maryland (probably 2nd tier Big Ten East) defender arriving just a step late. The next picture will be a Penn State defender batting the pass away at the last second.

We shall see. Iowa was younger last year. Still a young team. Should be a good one Saturday at Kinnick Stadium.

Bye bye B1G two.

Don't see Ohio State having much of an issue with Maryland, but Michigan at Nebraska could get interesting.

Your qb sucks, as is usual for Iowa. Same for Wisconsin. Sooner you acknowledge that fact, the sooner you can fix it. But no, you think your qb is fine. He'll be the reason you lose.
ok, I'm sure some random PSU fan has accurate film evaluation and scouting reports on Iowa's QB, I'll try to remember that ...

Could you please be more specific about when you’ll unveil your prediction on this game? Id like to gather the family around the iPad so we can find out your prediction together!!!

• Haha
Petras throws 2 pick sixes because he's got zero arm strength. Iowa implodes because they can't score if they aren't handed 5 turnovers. 34-13 good guys.
Um...Petras has arm strength. Touch has been his issue. Looked good last week. We'll see.

I frankly wasn't impressed by Clifford vs Wisconsin save a couple nice deep balls when the Badgers had broken coverage. He was pretty game in the Auburn win, but wasn't the pure passer that worries me (guys that can pick apart a 2 deep zone). His legs are a concern though.

ok, I'm sure some random PSU fan has accurate film evaluation and scouting reports on Iowa's QB, I'll try to remember that ...

Quit being a hypocrite. You can't put our QB down then act like our fans have to "film study" your QB before responding. Unless you work for the Hawkeyes, you have done as much film study as 99% of the people on these boards.

The only stat Petras is doing better at is INTs. Clifford has the advantage in every other one.

So if you aren't impressed with Clifford, you must *REALLY* think your QB is below average and a wart on your offense.

No worries, our board was begging for a portal QB all off season, lamented the loss of a QB who is most effective as a glorified FB, and had no faith in SC coming into the season. Hell, many here are waiting for him to screw up eventually so they can say "I told you so!"

You gotta understand, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you look like a joke pretending to be less than impressed with our QB while uttering sheer praise for your own.

The Wisconsin game was the first game of the season with a brand new offense on the road against a good defense. I think you need to take that game with a large grain of salt.

Let’s talk about Petras performance against ISU. 106 yards and a qbr in the mid 30s.

Last edited:
Quit being a hypocrite. You can't put our QB down then act like our fans have to "film study" your QB before responding. Unless you work for the Hawkeyes, you have done as much film study as 99% of the people on these boards.

The only stat Petras is doing better at is INTs. Clifford has the advantage in every other one.

So if you aren't impressed with Clifford, you must *REALLY* think your QB is below average and a wart on your offense.

No worries, our board was begging for a portal QB all off season, lamented the loss of a QB who is most effective as a glorified FB, and had no faith in SC coming into the season. Hell, many here are waiting for him to screw up eventually so they can say "I told you so!"

You gotta understand, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you look like a joke pretending to be less than impressed with our QB while uttering sheer praise for your own.
How many full Iowa games have you watched this year? I watched the whole Wisconsin vs PSU and Auburn vs PSU games and watched the PSU vs Villanova 60 minute version on Big10 network. It's not film study but it is more than what you guys have done LOL (opening up espn.com and looking at stats, now that will lead to some serious analysis LOL). I actually do re-watch the Iowa games each week as it's one of my hobbies that I really enjoy (for better or worse sometimes). I watch CFB all day on Saturdays (kids are in college now, so that is my TV day in the fall) so I see lots of substandard QB play and some really good stuff. Clifford is a good but not great QB that is more dangerous with his legs than dropping straight back and picking apart a 2 deep zone.

You can diss Petras all you want, but he has a great arm (some idiot was saying he doesn't have a strong arm) and he IS getting better and better with his accuracy. He struggles when he is under pressure (so does Aron Rodgers), he doesn't have Clifford's escapability, he is prone to some god awful throws that seem to be out of the blue (again, these are getting less often, but still can crop up). He isn't the 2nd coming of Chuck Long, but he isn't chopped liver either. He will need to play well on Saturday obviously ... please point out where I had all this "uttering sheer praise for your own (QB)"?

Reactions: the Howler
The Wisconsin game was the first game of the season with a brand new offense on the road against a good defense. I think you need to take that game with a large grain of salt.

Let’s talk about Petras performance against ISU. 106 yards and a qbr in the mid 30s.
That is fair, and the Iowa defense will be much more like Wisconsin than Villanova.

How many full Iowa games have you watched this year? I watched the whole Wisconsin vs PSU and Auburn vs PSU games and watched the PSU vs Villanova 60 minute version on Big10 network. It's not film study but it is more than what you guys have done LOL (opening up espn.com and looking at stats, now that will lead to some serious analysis LOL). I actually do re-watch the Iowa games each week as it's one of my hobbies that I really enjoy (for better or worse sometimes). I watch CFB all day on Saturdays (kids are in college now, so that is my TV day in the fall) so I see lots of substandard QB play and some really good stuff. Clifford is a good but not great QB that is more dangerous with his legs than dropping straight back and picking apart a 2 deep zone.

You can diss Petras all you want, but he has a great arm (some idiot was saying he doesn't have a strong arm) and he IS getting better and better with his accuracy. He struggles when he is under pressure (so does Aron Rodgers), he doesn't have Clifford's escapability, he is prone to some god awful throws that seem to be out of the blue (again, these are getting less often, but still can crop up). He isn't the 2nd coming of Chuck Long, but he isn't chopped liver either. He will need to play well on Saturday obviously ... please point out where I had all this "uttering sheer praise for your own (QB)"?

So you're that guy...

Reactions: Connorpozlee

This is pretty arrogant. How do you know if people have watched the Iowa games or not?

9-6 PSU with Stout kicking 3 FG's 40+, best defensive game of the year by both teams

I wouldn’t expect our offense to roll out the Wisconsin game plan with 5 games under their belt.

Do you think penn states D will be better than Colorado States? Because we can look at what Petras did in that game as well since it’s another sub 40 qbr. I mean if you aren’t impressed with Clifford you must think Petras is really bad.

Dude, from a fellow Iowa fan, just stop.

All but the Colorado State game. But I also don't have to legitimize my background to on a PSU board.
Good for you ... at least you have some more background knowledge for the football conversations. I wonder about connor, lazydave or rmem. If they want to rip me or my team, fine, but have some kind of information to backup your stance, hence the question about watching other teams.

I'm not saying if you watched Iowa games you would necessarily change your minds about Petras, even our own fans rip him way more than he deserves at times LOL, however you would at least have a more data to support your claim.

It is the nature of the QB position ... As someone else said, PSU fans are ripping Clifford too ... It's damn hard to be a QB in the Big 10. It's easy for us knuckle heads on a message board to rip them. I didn't mean to disrespect Clifford (if you guys took exception to it), I just think he has some flaws (like Petras and every QB in this league for that matter) and not sure he will have enough pure passing skill to take you guys over the top on Saturday. If I'm wrong I'll admit it on Saturday night.

Good for you ... at least you have some more background knowledge for the football conversations. I wonder about connor, lazydave or rmem. If they want to rip me or my team, fine, but have some kind of information to backup your stance, hence the question about watching other teams.

I'm not saying if you watched Iowa games you would necessarily change your minds about Petras, even our own fans rip him way more than he deserves at times LOL, however you would at least have a more data to support your claim.

It is the nature of the QB position ... As someone else said, PSU fans are ripping Clifford too ... It's damn hard to be a QB in the Big 10. It's easy for us knuckle heads on a message board to rip them. I didn't mean to disrespect Clifford (if you guys took exception to it), I just think he has some flaws (like Petras and every QB in this league for that matter) and not sure he will have enough pure passing skill to take you guys over the top on Saturday. If I'm wrong I'll admit it on Saturday night.

If Clifford isn’t skilled enough to get a win Saturday, Petras sure af isn’t. Something’s gotta give I guess.

Offensively - PSU needs to avoid 3rd and king and/or 4th downs to try to get a first.
Defensively - don’t give up 3rd and long plays
We have a knack for giving up the 3rd and long, or at least I feel we do. I can be so pessimistic at time regarding PSU football.

Reactions: nits74
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT