ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark

Agreed. She is incredibly talented. The womens game is much more pure than the men’s game. The men’s game is so much more about pure athleticism.
It has to be more pure. No one would score. For me it is too slow to watch, but she is very talented.

Iowa, with Caitlin Clark at the helm, defeats LSU and is on to the final f🏀ur. Her play is just unbelievable.
To each his own. I saw a bit of the game tonight to see what all the hype was about. Clark is a really good shooter, but the general level of play of this “Elite Eight”WCBB game was horrendous.

Reactions: GSPMax
She’s a gunner taking 30 shots a game… Steph curry of the women’s game. Firing away from 30 feet is pretty impressive. Last night she was 13-29 and 9-20 from three. Can’t guard that if she’s hot.

That’s not the important part. The important part is they won a trip to Cleveland!

To each his own. I saw a bit of the game tonight to see what all the hype was about. Clark is a really good shooter, but the general level of play of this “Elite Eight”WCBB game was horrendous.
If you weren't impressed with her yesterday you're going into it refusing to be impressed. Angel Reese was also impressive prior to her injury. Not sure what you think would make their play not horrendous. If you're comparing it to the men then you're being even more ridiculous

Reactions: lilromeo
That I wasn’t so much as she had some bad passes, TO’s, and a horrendous 3pt foul at end of the game. She ain’t no Larry Bird!
Who ever played a game without some bad passes? There's obvious risk with her game which is what allows her to be great. She can pull up for three from the logo, miss, and come back down and drill another three on the next possession from 28 feet. She makes some of the best passes in the game. Yeah, Angel Reese create a couple turnover early, but, that's what she does.

Also, why are you comparing her to Bird? I swear people try to be as dumb as possible on here.

Reactions: lilromeo
Ya 41,12,7 she sucks lol
Obviously, she's great. Probably the GOAT.

I did scratch my head about LSU's defense of her (along with them not on the court for the national anthem to start the game). They single-teamed her with a smaller, quicker player. But she had to guard Caitlin high and low. She had to get out on Caitlin, our away from the basket, but was very vulnerable to the drive and/or pass. So she tried to do both and ended up leaving Cailin open from the three a lot. They really needed to high/low her. The guard should have been out on her and the big gals needed to collapse once she broke contain and went to the hoop. Of course, her passing was great and she might hit the open player but at least she's not draining 3s.

Obviously, she's great. Probably the GOAT.

I did scratch my head about LSU's defense of her (along with them not on the court for the national anthem to start the game). They single-teamed her with a smaller, quicker player. But she had to guard Caitlin high and low. She had to get out on Caitlin, our away from the basket, but was very vulnerable to the drive and/or pass. So she tried to do both and ended up leaving Cailin open from the three a lot. They really needed to high/low her. The guard should have been out on her and the big gals needed to collapse once she broke contain and went to the hoop. Of course, her passing was great and she might hit the open player but at least she's not draining 3s.
I think they did that because Poa did a solid job against her in the Championship game last year. I thought Van Lith played good defense on her--Clark just kills you if you even given her a millisecond to shoot. They didn't have the bigs collapse on her until the end of the game which was weird. Very late adjustment and it was too late.

Best change in that game though was Iowa going man defense after the first. LSU was destroying their zone.

That I wasn’t so much as she had some bad passes, TO’s, and a horrendous 3pt foul at end of the game. She ain’t no Larry Bird!
She isn't as good as the worst player to ever play in the NBA, but she might be the most skilled women's player ever.

Reactions: Ian
She isn't as good as the worst player to ever play in the NBA, but she might be the most skilled women's player ever.

She isn't as good as any starter for a Div 1 mens program.

The gap in talent for basketball is huge from men's to women's game.

I played pickup weekly with a bench guy from PACE for years. He would score 100 if he played in thst game yesterday.

I played pickup weekly with a bench guy from PACE for years. He would score 100 if he played in thst game yesterday.
I totally agree.

She has an amazing skill set. But her outside shot is a set shot. It isn't a jump shot. At 6-0 and 155 lbs, she'll never get that shot off against a decent men's player. And without that, she won't be able to drive because, again, she isn't physical enough. The reason why it is a set shot is that she doesn't have the strength to jump and shoot. Her momentum is almost always toward the basket. Plus, she is using a smaller/lighter ball which makes the hoop larger.

that is not to take away from her fundamental basketball skill set. She's amazing. But she's is not close to having the physical skills to compete with some of the better men out there. In fact, I'd say she couldn't compete at a top men's high school program in Ohio.

Right it's why men and women have a separate league. Or should. Tennis is a great example...its practically a different sport but both are good. Just very different.

I agree. I think Clark would probably be a good, not great, player on a decent men's high school team. That is saying a lot since most women in the WNBA would not be able to make the starting lineup on a decent men's high school team.

I agree. I think Clark would probably be a good, not great, player on a decent men's high school team. That is saying a lot since most women in the WNBA would not be able to make the starting lineup on a decent men's high school team.
she would be the equivalent to Steve Kerr on the Bulls. She'd go find a place on the three-point line and stand there until her defender left to double-team a playmaker and then drain the wide-open 3. This would go on until the opposition started to call plays to exploit her on the defensive side of the ball. Then she'd be subbed out.

A guard on a good HS team would be able to play guard, pf or center on a wnba team.

They would win on speed, strength and height.

That's the comparative level of talent.

A guard on a good HS team would be able to play guard, pf or center on a wnba team.

They would win on speed, strength and height.

That's the comparative level of talent.
I agree but I still enjoy watching women's college basketball.

I have a nephew who was a 6'6" all star in division 2 college basketball. I keep coaxing him to say he is a female and then play in the WNBA. He would instantly be the MVP and all-time GOAT of the WNBA. He could make a lot of $$$.

I agree but I still enjoy watching women's college basketball.

I have a nephew who was a 6'6" all star in division 2 college basketball. I keep coaxing him to say he is a female and then play in the WNBA. He would instantly be the MVP and all-time GOAT of the WNBA. He could make a lot of $$$.
Yep! I went to watch a women’s pro volleyball game and it was great. The game fundamentals are great. The nba is all about physicality. Volleyball and tennis is the same. But it is just a different sport that the women play.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
I totally agree.

She has an amazing skill set. But her outside shot is a set shot. It isn't a jump shot. At 6-0 and 155 lbs, she'll never get that shot off against a decent men's player. And without that, she won't be able to drive because, again, she isn't physical enough. The reason why it is a set shot is that she doesn't have the strength to jump and shoot. Her momentum is almost always toward the basket. Plus, she is using a smaller/lighter ball which makes the hoop larger.

that is not to take away from her fundamental basketball skill set. She's amazing. But she's is not close to having the physical skills to compete with some of the better men out there. In fact, I'd say she couldn't compete at a top men's high school program in Ohio.
Some people are saying she could compete in the NBA. Can you imagine Draymond Green or Jason Tatum guarding Caitlin Clark!

Some people are saying she could compete in the NBA. Can you imagine Draymond Green or Jason Tatum guarding Caitlin Clark!
Who are these people? You literally created something to complain about that isn't a thing. Clark's biggest fans don't think she's playing in the NBA.

Reactions: knickslions
Nobody else in the women's game is Larry Bird, either. She had a lot more bad plays last night than usual. Some was probably the opponent, some was probably the pressure getting to her a bit. But she made enough good plays and, maybe more importantly, helped her teammates get involved. The matchup with UConn and Paige Bueckers on Friday will be really interesting.

Reactions: psu1969a
She’s a gunner taking 30 shots a game… Steph curry of the women’s game. Firing away from 30 feet is pretty impressive. Last night she was 13-29 and 9-20 from three. Can’t guard that if she’s hot.
She doesn’t take anywhere near 30 shots a game. More like 20 (last night was unusual for her). And she should shoot more. She passed up too many shots last night, opting to pass. She also leads the nation in assists and averages over 7 rebounds a game and 2 steals a game…not really the Steph Curry of the women’s game.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
From an article: Iowa’s win over LSU averaged 12.3 million viewers and peaked at 16 million viewers.
That is just astounding.

Reactions: Obliviax
From an article: Iowa’s win over LSU averaged 12.3 million viewers and peaked at 16 million viewers.
That is just astounding.
I was one of those for about 5 minutes. She is a fantastic player. Unfortunately for me the game is too slow to hold my attention. If my daughter had played collegiate basketball instead of golf, maybe my opinion would be different. I enjoy the LPGA and attend LPGA events and some collegiate events for that reason. Hopefully these new fans will support her and the WNBA with their viewership moving forward.

I was one of those for about 5 minutes. She is a fantastic player. Unfortunately for me the game is too slow to hold my attention. If my daughter had played collegiate basketball instead of golf, maybe my opinion would be different. I enjoy the LPGA and attend LPGA events and some collegiate events for that reason. Hopefully these new fans will support her and the WNBA with their viewership moving forward.
I was surprised how much I enjoyed that game. it kind of reminded me of the olympics in that competition at the highest level, despite the sport, is fun to watch. But I don't know if it would hold my attention long term or for lesser games. Evil LSU vs the sweet midwestern Iowa had appeal (LSU wasn't on the floor for the national anthem and while it looked bad, it was because their pre-game routing coupled with the national TV attention screwed up the timing). A problem for me is that, although I was never a good basketball player, I feel like I could shut her down on defense with no problem when I was her age. So it is challenging to respect the athlete when they are not very athletic.

BTW, the Iowa semi-final is going for $373 for the cheapest seats here in CLE (plus taxes and handling charges). The championship game is $400. If Iowa wins the semi, that will go up to ~ $500 is my guess. To me, the championship game is UConn vs Iowa. Geno knows how to coach women's BBall and won't single-cover Caitlin like LSU did.

BTW, the Iowa semi-final is going for $373 for the cheapest seats here in CLE (plus taxes and handling charges). The championship game is $400. If Iowa wins the semi, that will go up to ~ $500 is my guess. To me, the championship game is UConn vs Iowa. Geno knows how to coach women's BBall and won't single-cover Caitlin like LSU did.
It's tough though because she's a great passer and they have a couple bigs that shoot a high percentage. UConn also might have someone that can do a better job staying with her. Should be interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT