ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin and FSU

Actually this is not accurate. While sandy doesn’t send people out to look I sat through a meeting with sandy last year that included Franklins agent Trace Armstrong discussing facilitates around the country. They had a complete PowerPoint presentation that included pictures, square footage, cost, amenities, for several schools football buildings. I know most of you think she is an idiot but she was well prepared for the discussion and there was an open and frank discussion.

As for James leaving, I just don’t know. I think there are some things that have happened this year that may drive him away more than him running to something. I hope it doesn’t happen. I really like the guy and the kids really like him. We will go backwards for a while if he leaves.

Thanks for sharing. Good information.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Oh they are mentioned (maybe not Day or Saban)

The reason they look at Franklin is because he has done an amazing job at PSU He could do the same thing at USC or FSU. Plus he has a small buyout unlike other coaches. Plus-he us arguably the most successful minority’s head coach in D-1 football (Shaw at Stanford has more wins in the same timeframe).

Just yesterday I heard theee different reports that said if Franklin leaves then PSU trumps all other programs that would have job openings.

It’s a premier job because the last three head coaches have made it so.

Bradley, O’Brien and Franklin?

Oh they are mentioned (maybe not Day or Saban)

The reason they look at Franklin is because he has done an amazing job at PSU He could do the same thing at USC or FSU. Plus he has a small buyout unlike other coaches. Plus-he us arguably the most successful minority’s head coach in D-1 football (Shaw at Stanford has more wins in the same timeframe).

Just yesterday I heard theee different reports that said if Franklin leaves then PSU trumps all other programs that would have job openings.

It’s a premier job because the last three head coaches have made it so.
I’m not saying it’s not a premiere job...I just don’t think the media types feel it is. If it’s all about success, why aren’t they all writing about Lincoln Riley going to USC, or FSU, or Texas A&M? He’s had more success than Franklin. Obviously they look at Oklahoma as a destination job and not PSU.

I like Franklin and have often defended him on this board. That said, I don't know if he will stay or go at season's end, but I have a feeling he will not be here in 5 years. He wants to be the 1st black coach to win a National Championship and, despite his recruiting success, I don't think he can do that at Penn State. The BigTen East is not an easy path to the Final Four. We'll see.

So you're hanging your argument on the intelligence and big picture thinking of Florida State Football fans - the same ones who drove Jimbo Fisher to leave for the #4 school in the SEC West. About par for the course with you.

If Franklin wants to go he should just go. Starting to become obvious he doesn't view himself as a fit for Penn State. We'll survive.

I don't know that he would fit in any better at FSU... I hope he stays for as long as possible...

I like Franklin and have often defended him on this board. That said, I don't know if he will stay or go at season's end, but I have a feeling he will not be here in 5 years. He wants to be the 1st black coach to win a National Championship and, despite his recruiting success, I don't think he can do that at Penn State. The BigTen East is not an easy path to the Final Four. We'll see.
Two edged sword. If your conference is weak, strength of schedule bites you in the CFP ass. IMO, Clemson is in the top four because they shellacked Bama last year...otherwise SOS would have them lower. In the B1G, you've got to get past OSU...don't think Michigan is that much of a hurdle year-in, year-out. In the ACC there's Clemson. PAC 12 Oregon and most years Washington, Big 12 Oklahoma and (in due course, presumably) Texas, etc., etc.

Two edged sword. If your conference is weak, strength of schedule bites you in the CFP ass. IMO, Clemson is in the top four because they shellacked Bama last year...otherwise SOS would have them lower. In the B1G, you've got to get past OSU...don't think Michigan is that much of a hurdle year-in, year-out. In the ACC there's Clemson. PAC 12 Oregon and most years Washington, Big 12 Oklahoma and (in due course, presumably) Texas, etc., etc.
I don't disagree, except to say if we can't get past OSU every year, we're probably not in the discussion. If you are the top dog in the ACC, or PAC 12, and go unbeaten on an easier schedule, at least you a player.

I’m not saying it’s not a premiere job...I just don’t think the media types feel it is. If it’s all about success, why aren’t they all writing about Lincoln Riley going to USC, or FSU, or Texas A&M? He’s had more success than Franklin. Obviously they look at Oklahoma as a destination job and not PSU.
It could be because it is thought that Riley is looking to move to the NFL after Oklahoma. His name comes up as the next Dallas coach every time the Cowboys lose a game.

I don't see Ryan Day or Dabo rumored to other jobs really. Maybe this is a ploy

Day is just one season into his first HC gig.

Dabo gets mentioned about being successor to Saban.

The reason Franklin gets mentioned: money. If somebody offered crazy stupid money for him AND assistant coaches... I'm sure he'd listen to the offer at minimum.

Here is the leap of logic that I can't reconcile... If schools like FSU and USC are "steps up" for a mediocre (as some on this board would say) coach like Franklin, then how in the heck would we ever land a "premier" coach? All of these alleged slots are "better landing spots"? Why then would a premier coach come to PSU if so many better spots available? Or are we relegated to getting coaches that someone like FSU can't? Color me confused...
Rhule will be PSU's first call if Franklin leaves. And to be honest he is probably a better overall coach and the chances of him being a lifer are much higher than Franklin. Psu alums will be happy to have a Paterno disciple at the helm. Hell if I am psu I don't think I even get into a bidding war for Franklin

Reactions: NC2017
Why would any program be looking at the carnival barker milk dud snake oil salesman? He’s no good.

Maybe
So you're hanging your argument on the intelligence and big picture thinking of Florida State Football fans - the same ones who drove Jimbo Fisher to leave for the #4 school in the SEC West. About par for the course with you.

If Franklin wants to go he should just go. Starting to become obvious he doesn't view himself as a fit for Penn State. We'll survive.

How exactly do you come to that conclusion? Because ever year at this time some reporters, with no information, make up stories about Franklin going here and Franklin going there? Wow, simply wow!

I don't know that he would fit in any better at FSU... I hope he stays for as long as possible...

I wouldn't leave PSU for FSU. The only real advantage is easier access to super fertile recruiting territory, which Franklin has shown he can access from PA. The conference top to bottom isn't as bad as the B1G East, but really, FSU should be competing with Clemson every year for the title. USC is a different story because of the lifestyle change (if you are into that).

Maybe

How exactly do you come to that conclusion? Because ever year at this time some reporters, with no information, make up stories about Franklin going here and Franklin going there? Wow, simply wow!

You think a reporter made this story up? You don't think there's been contact? If Franklin's talking to Florida State or USC, he's looking for exit opportunities. This isn't Alabama.

Franklin could put this all to bed quickly with a statement stronger than, "I don't anticipate things changing anytime soon"

Reactions: ram2020 and nits74
If Franklin were to voluntarily leave after years of “this is my dream job” and “the best CFB environment in the country” and “the best CFB fans in the country” etc etc etc, well, he’d lose a lot of his personal credibility and I think opposing coaches would throw it back in his face in ongoing recruiting wars. Just my $.02.....

Care to share? "things that have happened this year" is an interesting statement.

OL
I have no inside info but given that in recent weeks Franklin has made comments about our fans to the media that might be what he's talking about. I can't believe the amount of heat Franklin seems to get from our fans while the team is sitting at 9-1, and is in the midst of a fantastic 3-4 year run. I can't help but think that if it were someone from the Paterno coaching tree the fans would back off a bit, but maybe I'm reading into things too much. Some people still haven't moved on. Also the situations with Sutherland and Clifford getting nasty and completely unacceptable crap from some so-called "fans" might also be weighing on him. Coaches need to have thick skin though, and not worry about fan reactions. Franklin typically is great with the media but him bringing up this stuff recently is a possible sign that he's getting tired of it. I can't say that I blame him, I am tired of hearing it too.

We need to lock Franklin up with a better deal. There us too much smoke lately to think that there is not fire in the background. With the exception of saban or dabo, there is not anybody better than Franklin out there.

Granted, it would suck if he left but....If he goes, he goes. If he stays, he stays. What could anyone possibly do by worrying about it? There are many coaches that could be successful at PSU and I'm sure there would be a long list of candidates.

I have no inside info but given that in recent weeks Franklin has made comments about our fans to the media that might be what he's talking about. I can't believe the amount of heat Franklin seems to get from our fans while the team is sitting at 9-1, and is in the midst of a fantastic 3-4 year run. I can't help but think that if it were someone from the Paterno coaching tree the fans would back off a bit, but maybe I'm reading into things too much. Some people still haven't moved on. Also the situations with Sutherland and Clifford getting nasty and completely unacceptable crap from some so-called "fans" might also be weighing on him. Coaches need to have thick skin though, and not worry about fan reactions. Franklin typically is great with the media but him bringing up this stuff recently is a possible sign that he's getting tired of it. I can't say that I blame him, I am tired of hearing it too.

And if he thinks criticism/drama will be less elsewhere then he's a fool. He wants to be big time but can't stand the heat in State College? Please

Reactions: psu00
Granted, it would suck if he left but....If he goes, he goes. If he stays, he stays. What could anyone possibly do by worrying about it? There are many coaches that could be successful at PSU and I'm sure there would be a long list of candidates.
Are you ready to go through another program reset? I am not. We need to keep Franklin.

Unfortunately each and every school has some of these low-life “fans” out there.

And not one of the candidates would be worth a thimble of luke warm spit unless they win 11+ games every year. Texas has been telling itself the same story since Darrell Royal, and not a single coach has ever been good enough. They no sooner get there and the "high standards" folks start undermining them and insisting they get the next hot coach. Nebraska has pretty much killed their program with the same nonsense. Anyone thinking a successful, highly sought after coach leaving your program for a rebuild job doesn't reflect very badly on the program is kidding themself.

Reactions: pioneerlion83
Are you ready to go through another program reset? I am not. We need to keep Franklin.

Pretty sure it wouldn't be a program reset. I just choose not to base my emotions or life choices off of what a college football coach does.

I agree. If he leaves, we are looking at a collapse of the 2020 recruiting class along with an unprecedented number of portal entries from the current squad. It would take a minimum of 3 or 4 years for a new coach to get "his players" integrated into his system. 8-4 will be a "good year" over the next several years.

Reactions: 10 Years After
And not one of the candidates would be worth a thimble of luke warm spit unless they win 11+ games every year. Texas has been telling itself the same story since Darrell Royal, and not a single coach has ever been good enough. They no sooner get there and the "high standards" folks start undermining them and insisting they get the next hot coach. Nebraska has pretty much killed their program with the same nonsense. Anyone thinking a successful, highly sought after coach leaving your program for a rebuild job doesn't reflect very badly on the program is kidding themself.

What about Goergia?

Unfortunately each and every school has some of these low-life “fans” out there.
Completely agree about that, but I do think our fanbase in general has more negativity and misery than many others. The death threats thing is the extreme minority and can happen anywhere. But the endless criticism of the coaching staff even when we win games isn't as common, and other schools aren't dealing with fans that refuse to let go of a prior coaches ideology as well. I honestly think it's a regional thing that I didn't noticed until I moved away. People in PA just seem to be more negative in general than many other places that I've been.

You think a reporter made this story up? You don't think there's been contact? If Franklin's talking to Florida State or USC, he's looking for exit opportunities. This isn't Alabama.

Franklin could put this all to bed quickly with a statement stronger than, "I don't anticipate things changing anytime soon"

Yeah, his retorts to this attention the last few years have been tepid at best, and again, maybe that is by design to extort the athletic department for more money. But last year's USC rumors were met with "I don't think it is appropriate to discuss that right now(which is 100% right) and "I like coaching these guys, I don't see that changing anytime soon." Contrast it to what Jharbs just did.

Reactions: jimjim47 and Ughhh

Yet basically that is what happened at FSU when Fisher left....but FSU is attractive to Franklin who is a "successful, highly sought after coach." hmmmmmm

"Noles247 confirmed on Wednesday that representatives for FSU and Penn State coach James Franklin have talked at this point in the process. Franklin was believed to be a candidate, and now we know he is a target that FSU has vetted."
This means next to nothing except that FSU is interested in Franklin.

Duh. Any major P5 program with an opening will be interested in Franklin.

Until there is any smoke that interest is mutual, this is a non story.

Yeah, his retorts to this attention the last few years have been tepid at best, and again, maybe that is by design to extort the athletic department for more money. But last year's USC rumors were met with "I don't think it is appropriate to discuss that right now(which is 100% right) and "I like coaching these guys, I don't see that changing anytime soon." Contrast it to what Jharbs just did.
I honestly don’t think it matters how a coach responds to rumors. I’ve heard some of the strongest denials from coaches who left within days. Harbaugh could be gone way before Franklin

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT