ADVERTISEMENT

Forbes: Urban Meyer’s fate rests with Law Firm’s findings (link)

Joe did release a statement... it is where the hindsight quote comes from and when you read it today you can see he had no idea about the shitstorm that was coming and why it may have pissed off the board. https://www.businessinsider.com/joe-paterno-statement-2011-11

It would have been better if he'd just said, "I have always followed proper reporting protocols and procedures when I have learned of an incident involving a student-athlete, coach or former member of our staff by elevating the issues to the proper channels. And I did so regarding the Jerry Sandusky incident in 2001. I take that responsibility very seriously and any suggestion to the contrary is simply false."
Unfortunately, hindsight is 20:20.

That makes no sense. OSU fans didn’t defend Penn State because the leaders didn’t want to be defended? So, OSU fans will do whatever PSU leadership wants them to?

If you don't defend yourself and openly admit you did wrong (even though we truly didn't) it isn't reasonable or logical to expect others to defend you

The NCAA and everyone else only piled on because the BOT allowed, maybe even encouraged or helped, them to. Had the BOT put up any defense of the University, I am absolutely convinced we wouldn't be viewed as we are by many today.
For every person who would have thought differently, there would be an equal number that thought worse of us for being a football first culture and doing whatever they can to protect Joe.

If you don't defend yourself and openly admit you did wrong (even though we truly didn't) it isn't reasonable or logical to expect others to defend you
Funny, seems to me that Maryland has gained a lot of respect from people for admitting they were wrong.

Nice to see you guys have allowed a buckeye fan (78 revenge of the nerds) to turn a Meyer / Law Firm thread into a Joe didn't speak up for himself thread. 78 probably feels so clever typing "we" while intentionally steering attention onto Paterno as Ohio St covers for a 3rd sport currently engaged in abuse scandals. Like no one recognizes his game.

Nice to see you guys have allowed a buckeye fan (78 revenge of the nerds) to turn a Meyer / Law Firm thread into a Joe didn't speak up for himself thread. 78 probably feels so clever typing "we" while intentionally steering attention onto Paterno as Ohio St covers for a 3rd sport currently engaged in abuse scandals. Like no one recognizes his game.

Ummm...I had nothing to do with the Paterno part--re-read

I have yet to see anyone defend the strength & conditioning coach. Has anyone really even defended Durkin?
I’m talking about the university. They were talking all morning on sports radio about how much they respect the university for admitting responsibility and apologizing.

I’m talking about the university. They were talking all morning on sports radio about how much they respect the university for admitting responsibility and apologizing.

But the people that attack us do so because "supposedly" we covered something up for decades and their misguided hatred is directed toward Paterno and those fans that defend him more than the school....right?

You said earlier that OSU fans didn’t defend PSU because the school didn’t defend itself, implying that OSU fans will only do what Penn State tells them to do. It’s a silly point.
I get where you are trying to go. Penn State administration was horrendous and conniving in their handling of the Sandusky situation and subsequent fallout. That has nothing to do with Ohio State or it’s fans.

You said earlier that OSU fans didn’t defend PSU because the school didn’t defend itself, implying that OSU fans will only do what Penn State tells them to do. It’s a silly point.
I get where you are trying to go. Penn State administration was horrendous and conniving in their handling of the Sandusky situation and subsequent fallout. That has nothing to do with Ohio State or it’s fans.

That wasn't the implication. The implication is if one doesn't defend themselves then it isn't logical to expect someone else to do so.

The public reaction to us had a lot to do with our leadership. See every other scandal.

If we disagree then we disagree--not a big deal

Reactions: NealPaige
That wasn't the implication. The implication is if one doesn't defend themselves then it isn't logical to expect someone else to do so.

The public reaction to us had a lot to do with our leadership. See every other scandal.

If we disagree then we disagree--not a big deal[/QUOTE

Amen. Bunch of pussies BOT, who went into a fetal position. At least OSU defends their own...albeit misguided.

But the people that attack us do so because "supposedly" we covered something up for decades and their misguided hatred is directed toward Paterno and those fans that defend him more than the school....right?
No matter what the university said or did, fans would have still jumped on the chance to tear Paterno and the football program down...that’s my point. Some of the posters on here give the fans of other teams, the NCAA and the Big a pass because of what the BOT did....and it wouldn’t have really mattered. You said it happened because we admitted our guilt....Maryland admitted their guilt and gained respect. So it doesn’t really matter what we would have done, we would have been vilified.

Funny, seems to me that Maryland has gained a lot of respect from people for admitting they were wrong.

No matter what the university said or did, fans would have still jumped on the chance to tear Paterno and the football program down...that’s my point. Some of the posters on here give the fans of other teams, the NCAA and the Big a pass because of what the BOT did....and it wouldn’t have really mattered. You said it happened because we admitted our guilt....Maryland admitted their guilt and gained respect. So it doesn’t really matter what we would have done, we would have been vilified.

Totally different circumstances. The Maryland situation is a lot simpler that the Sandusky scandal. Admitting responsibility to one accidental death and feeding a fat guy snickers til he pukes is viewed differently than saying you looked the other way for decades while children were raped in your showers. If something came out where the strength and conditioning coach was intentionally and discreetly killing players over multiple years with people in power looking the other way, maryland wouldn't get a pass for saying our bad.

Totally different circumstances. The Maryland situation is a lot simpler that the Sandusky scandal. Admitting responsibility to one accidental death and feeding a fat guy snickers til he pukes is viewed differently than saying you looked the other way for decades while children were raped in your showers. If something came out where the strength and conditioning coach was intentionally and discreetly killing players over multiple years with people in power looking the other way, maryland wouldn't get a pass for saying our bad.
Again, this strengthens my argument that we were screwed no matter what we did.

You're making an assumption though...you can't say what would have happened had we handled it better. Admitting "guilt" after years of a supposed coverup is also very different than what happened at Maryland. The only reason I think it would have possibly still have been bad was our "success with honor" approach which some took/take as "holier than thou" and people do love to watch the good fall. But if we fight things wouldn't have been better...even if only slightly

You're making an assumption though...you can't say what would have happened had we handled it better. Admitting "guilt" after years of a supposed coverup is also very different than what happened at Maryland. The only reason I think it would have possibly still have been bad was our "success with honor" approach which some took/take as "holier than thou" and people do love to watch the good fall. But if we fight things wouldn't have been better...even if only slightly
You’re right, we will never know, but I think the urge to tear down what is good is more powerful than reason.

Reactions: dailybuck777
Because people heard child abuse and they were looking to destroy us regardless of what we said or did.

They heard child abuse and then saw the school fire the legendary untouchable coach and release a report saying it had been covered up for decades on an institutional level. If the freeh report concluded Sandusky was a classic nice guy peodphile that is very hard to detect yada yada things would be different.

Reactions: ouirpsu
They heard child abuse and then saw the school fire the legendary untouchable coach and release a report saying it had been covered up for decades on an institutional level. If the freeh report concluded Sandusky was a classic nice guy peodphile that is very hard to detect yada yada things would be different.
And I think if they wouldn’t have fired him, people would have piled on seeing the university as a football first institution where winning is more important than kids. See what happens when Urban is retained.

Don't kid yourself, Ohio St is loving this Durkin non-firing. It makes it that much easier when they suspend Urban for 2 games and bring him back well in time for the Big Ten schedule.

????
“What happens when Urban is retained”?

Nothing that amount to a mouse fart..... at least not 1/1,000,000,000 of the fallout that befell PSU after they FIRED Paterno.

Would you - in your wildest dreams - really think otherwise?
Not nearly to the same level, but people will still blast OSU for being only concerned with football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT