Delco Lion

Feb 16, 2017
Chadds Ford, PA
By Dean Narciso
The Columbus Dispatch

By Rita Price
The Columbus Dispatch
Posted Aug 29, 2018 at 9:22 PMUpdated Aug 29, 2018 at 11:52 PM

Note Courtney Smith said last night she was visited by deFries at UF, not a OSU lawyer. Article is behind a paywall at the Dispatch.

When Powell police were called to her home in October 2015, Courtney Smith outlined a history of violent acts — choking, physical abuse and death threats — that she says had long made her fear for her life at the hands of her soon-to-be ex-husband.

Smith told Officer Ben Boruchowitz that she was making the report on Oct. 26, 2015, because Zach Smith, then an Ohio State assistant football coach, had come to her Powell condominium the night before and started verbally abusing her, then pushed her into a wall and took their young son with him against her objections.

Join the conversation at Facebook.com/BuckeyeXtra and connect with us on Twitter @BuckeyeXtra
That account is contained in the narrative of a police incident report mailed anonymously to The Dispatch. Made aware of the mailing and the contents of the report Wednesday, Powell Police Chief Gary Vest did not dispute it.

Boruchowitz wrote that Courtney Smith told him Ohio State sent a lawyer to her home in connection with a previous incident, “convincing her to drop the charge because it would embarrass OSU if she proceeded with the prosecution.”

Related content
Ohio State football: University confirms Tom Herman was at strip club with Zach Smith

August 28, 2018
Ohio State investigation: Urban Meyer apologizes to Courtney Smith in statement
August 24, 2018
Ohio State investigation: Report details strip club visits, memory loss and drug abuse
August 23, 2018
Chris Davey, OSU spokesman, told The Dispatch on Wednesday night that the university was unaware of any such allegation and would investigate.

According to the report, Courtney Smith also told Boruchowitz that Zach Smith had abused her for years, and she described multiple incidents. Smith was fired July 23 by Ohio State coach Urban Meyer after his ex-wife obtained a protection order.

“The victim states that last year, the suspect choked her until she could not breathe,” the narrative report said. “The victim states that the suspect tells her all the time that he will kill her.”

>>Read more: Get complete coverage at BuckeyeXtra.com/UrbanMeyer

The one-page narrative details several other incidents, including in October 2014 when she claimed Zach Smith “cut her hand open with a tin can causing significant bleeding.” She showed Boruchowitz photographs that she said were from the attack. In January 2015, she said, Smith “threw her into a wooden stair causing significant bruising and swelling.” Boruchowitz was again shown photographs Courtney Smith said were from the incident, according to the report.

And while in the Dominican Republic in 2014, the report said, Zach Smith grabbed her around the neck and lifted her off the ground before throwing her on the bed. She told Boruchowitz that she could not keep track of all the incidents and noted that many happened in the presence of their small children.

According to the incident report, Courtney Smith reported that much of the abuse stemmed from her husband’s anger over her suspicions that he cheated on her with other women.

Vest has said that the full investigation file contains information that would explain or dispute allegations by Courtney Smith. The city has refused, however, to release the file.

Vest said police had turned the case over to the Delaware County prosecutor for felony charges. Those were never filed.

Brad Koffel, Zach Smith’s attorney, said Smith returned from a recruiting trip in November 2015, “answering every question police asked.”

The case, he said, was reviewed by prosecutors and “everyone can draw their own conclusion why charges weren’t filed.”

“At some point in time, the exculpatory evidence outweighed the incriminating allegations,” Koffel said.

If investigators determined that the case did not warrant charges, whether felony or misdemeanor, that should be explained, said Nancy Neylon, executive director of the Ohio Domestic Violence Network. “It would look better if they said, ‘We did an investigation and we didn’t think there was enough information to go forward.’”

But, Neylon said, the report is concerning and contains numerous warning signs and red flags that point to an escalating and dangerous situation.

“Really, hearing that makes me fear for her even now,” Neylon said of the report. “I literally have chills.”

Police receive training on how to handle domestic-violence incidents and should work to assess the risk of harm, she said.

“They’re looking for probable cause to make an arrest. In this state, there’s a preferred course of action,” Neylon said. “They should be looking at the totality of what’s happened. And if they’ve been called more than once, they know there’s a history.”

dnarciso@dispatch.com

Last edited:
Reactions: ralphster
It looks like the Powell police dept leaked this to the Columbus Dispatch in an effort to get in front of the growing mess. Wasn't a 'fixer' also used in the original incident in Florida? I don't think Urban coaches another game in Columbus...

Note Courtney Smith said last night she was visited by deFries, not a OSU lawyer.

Boruchowitz wrote that Courtney Smith told him Ohio State sent a lawyer to her home in connection with a previous incident, “convincing her to drop the charge because it would embarrass OSU if she proceeded
with the prosecution.”

Chris Davey, OSU spokesman, told The Dispatch on Wednesday night that the university was unaware of any such allegation and would investigate.

So Hiram deFries, an Urban Meyer "life coach" and "confidant" came to her to convince her not to press charges. Well, now that's so much better than an OSU lawyer doing it!

HELLOOOOO! N.C.A.A.!!!.....

LOSS
OF
INSTITUTIONAL
CONTROL

Sanctions. Loss of scholarships. Loss of bowl eligibility. Loss of B1G bowl revenue. Wins nullified.:eek:

Last edited:
Note Courtney Smith said last night she was visited by deFries, not a OSU lawyer.

Boruchowitz wrote that Courtney Smith told him Ohio State sent a lawyer to her home in connection with a previous incident, “convincing her to drop the charge because it would embarrass OSU if she proceeded
with the prosecution.”

So Hiram deFries, an Urban Meyer confidant and employee of the OSU football program came to her to convince her not to press charges. Well, now that's so much better than an OSU lawyer doing it!

HELLOOOOO! N.C.A.A.!!!.....

LOSS
OF
INSTITUTIONAL
CONTROL

Sanctions. Loss of scholarships. Loss of bowl eligibility. Loss of B1G bowl revenue. Wins nullified.:eek:

No, deFries visited her at UF. No OSU lawyers visited her. CS corrected this last night.

Thank you, Delco. I stand corrected. DeFries, Urban Meyer's "life coach" and "confidant" visited her in 2009, while Meyer and Smith were at UF, to convince her to not press charges.

It looks like the Powell police dept leaked this to the Columbus Dispatch in an effort to get in front of the growing mess. Wasn't a 'fixer' also used in the original incident in Florida? I don't think Urban coaches another game in Columbus...

I agree with some others on here that McMurphy has more.
And wow after Zach's twitter tirade last night he better hope this never goes to court.
Using his kids as a shield was such a dick, coward move.

Thank you, Delco. I stand corrected. DeFries, Urban Meyer's "life coach" and "confidant" visited her in 2009, while Meyer and Smith were at UF, to convince her to not press charges.
We know that DeFries visited Courtney Smith in 2009 regarding the DV incident at UF. Is Courtney Smith saying DeFries also visited her in 2015 as well (it could be another incident that occurred between 2012 and 2015 while at Ohio State)? If yes, Urbs has some explaining to do.

We know that DeFries visited Courtney Smith in 2009 regarding the DV incident at UF. Is Courtney Smith saying DeFries also visited her in 2015 as well (it could be another incident that occurred between 2012 and 2015 while at Ohio State)? If yes, Urbs has some explaining to do.

No, CS clarified last night, she was not visited by any OSU lawyers. The Dispatch was wrong.

As expected the Powell Police is now going under the microscope. There are three things they are going to take some heat on.

1. Why did they contact OSU? That is against dept policy.

2. Why was ZS never charged? Did he get preferential treatment?

3. Why were reports filed in 2015 changed in 2018?

Courtney has recanted the part about OSU sending a lawyer. She claims the cop misunderstood her. She claims she was telling him about 2009 when De Fries spoke to her.

Interesting how Smith beat this woman so many times she can't count them. The police came 9 or more times and the prosecutor reviewed the reports and decided not to prosecute. Am I reading that the police reports have information that my dispute Ms. Smith's claims?
Folks, this is a mess. I wouldn't want to be in a foxhole with Zach or Courtney.

Reactions: Nitt1300
Courtney has recanted the part about OSU sending a lawyer. She claims the cop misunderstood her. She claims she was telling him about 2009 when De Fries spoke to her.
What is confusing is that DeFries is a lawyer and does work for Ohio State, Urban brought him along. Most likely CS explained DeFries involvement in the 2009 incident and then said something like he is now a lawyer for Ohio State. Poorly worded article.

What is confusing is that DeFries is a lawyer and does work for Ohio State, Urban brought him along. Most likely CS explained DeFries involvement in the 2009 incident and then said something like he is now a lawyer for Ohio State. Poorly worded article.
I agree that is possible. But in my experience, cops are pretty careful when taking a quote like that. Zach may be Satan, but my opinion is that Courtney isn't Joan of Arc either. My heart aches for the kids.

Reactions: BBrown
I agree that is possible. But in my experience, cops are pretty careful when taking a quote like that. Zach may be Satan, but my opinion is that Courtney isn't Joan of Arc either. My heart aches for the kids.

The police still have not explained why they changed their initial report. It would not surprise me to learn that Zach received some hometown love from the local police.

I agree with some others on here that McMurphy has more.
I'm a retired 6th grade math teacher now selling packaging materials in NW Ohio. I have no idea what the perfect strategy would be for McMurphy to release anything else he has. However, if he does have more information, I would like it sooner than later.
My guess is he (McMurhphy) knows exactly how he wants to handle the situation. I'll butter my popcorn, grab a diet dr. pepper and wait! :cool:

OL

Reactions: BBrown
I expect that every time the stories are covered in the Ink or the Airwaves, it is more weight added on to the situation vav OSU. But none of this story is “new stuff” that had not been out there for quite some time now.
Everytime a story is uncovered an angle earns its wings.

source.gif

Last edited:
I'm a retired 6th grade math teacher now selling packaging materials in NW Ohio. I have no idea what the perfect strategy would be for McMurphy to release anything else he has. However, if he does have more information, I would like it sooner than later.
My guess is he (McMurhphy) knows exactly how he wants to handle the situation. I'll butter my popcorn, grab a diet dr. pepper and wait! :cool:

OL

giphy.gif

The popcorn giffs are endless. LOL.

OL
good point. my guess is that McMurphy, now being an independent reporter, will drip the information to maximize the number of clicks he gets over the next several weeks.

I know one thing about most guys that cheat on their women. When they are confronted about it, getting angry and blaming the woman is probably the most common response. In my opinion, Zach is a manipulative ****head trying to pin his bad behavior on his ex wife.

Reactions: massimoManca II
The police still have not explained why they changed their initial report. It would not surprise me to learn that Zach received some hometown love from the local police.

I thought they said something about dept terminology changing so they needed to update it to the current definition or some bull crap.

good point. my guess is that McMurphy, now being an independent reporter, will drip the information to maximize the number of clicks he gets over the next several weeks.
I think he will release it just before their first game, or perhaps right before the TCU game. Maximum damage. That is what we've come to. Mind you, I think OSU deserves whatever it gets so no sympathy from me.

I think he will release it just before their first game, or perhaps right before the TCU game. Maximum damage. That is what we've come to. Mind you, I think OSU deserves whatever it gets so no sympathy from me.
That assumes McM is driving to an end-game: Get Meyer fired. I don't think that is his primary motivation. His primary motivation is to stay relevant for as long as he can and to land a new job. So he will continue to drip so people visit his blog and facebook page for as long as they can. He'll watch to see how it plays out and increase the intensity when it quiets down. He has to be concerned that his ongoing drip exhausts people and they just quit listening.

Exactly - lol at careful small town cops. Half those guys are likely your typical mouth breather who posts on the Ozone and ends their sentences on game week with “go Bucks!”

As if these guys are Serpico

Exactly - lol at careful small town cops. Half those guys are likely your typical mouth breather who posts on the Ozone and ends their sentences on game week with “go Bucks!”

As if these guys are Serpico
I'd like to see how many of those on the police force attended games and what seats they had for the last several years.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
And how much time and a half OT they've picked up for working the games.
That’s a perk for the Columbus police, not the Powell police.

But in a Columbus suburb where at least 80% of the people who live there are die hard OSU fans, you know that most if not all the police are die hard fans as well. I just find it interesting that it appears that every Zach got into trouble that the Powell police called the university. If the police were called to your home, would the police call your employer, just to let them know what happened? Obviously, the call was made to ask someone at the university how to handle the situation, and possibly make it go away or mitigate the damage as much as possible. You think you or I would get the same type of treatment?

That’s a perk for the Columbus police, not the Powell police.

But in a Columbus suburb where at least 80% of the people who live there are die hard OSU fans, you know that most if not all the police are die hard fans as well. I just find it interesting that it appears that every Zach got into trouble that the Powell police called the university. If the police were called to your home, would the police call your employer, just to let them know what happened? Obviously, the call was made to ask someone at the university how to handle the situation, and possibly make it go away or mitigate the damage as much as possible. You think you or I would get the same type of treatment?
Great observation.

I thought they said something about dept terminology changing so they needed to update it to the current definition or some bull crap.

Yeah. Word salad B.S. to cover their tracks. I think they would go into more detail if there was a solid reason for the change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT