ADVERTISEMENT

David Jones tears in to Meyer

Delco Lion

Feb 16, 2017
Chadds Ford, PA
Urban Meyer can coach Ohio State again, so why won't he just shut up and coach?
Updated 6:37 AM; Posted 6:30 AM
Urban Meyer exclusive interview Pt. 2 on Courtney Smith, Ohio State suspension | SportsCenter | ESPN

0shares

By David Jones

djones@pennlive.com

This is the third time I find myself writing about Urban Meyer in six weeks. And I don't even want to. But he keeps forcing me.

On Sunday and Monday, ESPN and its Tom Rinaldi, the reporter it usually saves for heart-rending stories with pensive piano background music, aired an interview that clearly was agreed upon as a win-win by Team Urban. Except every time he takes one of these little ventures into personal public damage control, he keeps losing.

This is the fourth time, including a couple of issued statements and the disastrous Ohio State press conference announcing his 3-game "suspension," that Meyer has attempted to address questions surrounding his handling of Zach Smith, the assistant coach he finally fired amid domestic abuse accusations by his ex-wife Courtney Smith.

There should have been one, maybe two. All the Ohio State coach had to do was admit he attempted to excuse Smith, the coach, because he's the grandson of his mentor, late former OSU head coach Earle Bruce. It's a plausible rationale.

Only problem for Meyer is, he would've had to admit he lied and he was wrong to do it. Not that a reporter made something up. Not that he misspoke. Not that he unintentionally misled. Not that he incorrectly answered. But a full apology not unlike those many of us make all the time:

That he was trying to keep information out of the public realm. That he was trying to protect the coach at the probable expense of the wife. But he did so at the time with what he saw as noble intent. That he lied and he was wrong to do so.

But Urban really has a problem with that. The longer this goes on, the more he and his people attempt to clarify a situation almost everyone who cares has sifted out for themselves already, the more he looks like some sort of narcissist who simply can't except fault.

Here are my four and hopefully final observations on his latest dissemination of duplicitous rhetoric.

1. He can coach now, so why won't he just shut up?

Sit-down Q&As like this don't just happen. They are usually offered up with the initiative of the aggrieved and their handlers. Meyer wanted to go before the cameras. He and his agent had to have chosen Rinaldi from some sort of list and it was agreed upon by ESPN. Why?

Because people like Meyer, not to mention their lawyers and agents, are never short on chutzpah. They believe, given a controlled environment, they can win the day and alter public perception.

In this case, it's important for Meyer's continued success as a recruiter. Other than Nick Saban, he's been the best in the business. And, ask any great recruiter, head coaches especially, and they'll tell you: You don't recruit 17-year-olds. You recruit their parents. Moms in particular.

Any coach who's perceived as soft on domestic violence can be attacked by rival recruiters. You see where I'm going. Meyer cannot have this.

And so, he and his people wanted to take one more crack at clearing away any perception that he could be tolerant of an employee accused of domestic abuse against a woman - as Meyer's wife Shelley indicated she feared Zach Smith was. You'll recall her texts to Courtney Smith:

"A lot of women stay hoping it will get better. I don't blame you! But just want u to be safe. Do you have a restraining order? He scares me."

Except Urban keeps screwing it up because he can't fully admit: 1. He lied. 2. He was wrong.

B1G Power Poll: League horror show leaves PSU near top

The only good news for the B1G came in Dallas where Ohio State acquired the conference's first legitimate quality win.The Buckeyes, Penn State and Iowa now stand as the only three B1G teams with a realistic chance to stay unblemished all year. That's where we begin the doleful week 4 edition of the Big Ten Power Poll.

He did lie about knowing of 2015 accusations against Smith at Big Ten media day on July 24. Over and over. He only fired Smith when reporter Brett McMurphy's story cornered him. Then he pretended it was his own call. And he's still doing it. In his Rinaldi interview:

"I made a mistake. I did not lie. There's a... in my mind, you know, I don't lie to people. I don't lie to people. If you're gonna ask me a question and I incorrectly answer their question, or I misspoke or I... to me, there's a big difference. And once again, I apologize.

"I erred at Media Day. But there was never one time where I got asked a question and I was trying to mislead that person asking the question."

That's exactly what he was trying to do and even Meyer's more staunch backers acknowledge that much. Coaches lie to reporters all the time. Why won't he admit this one and just call it what it was?

2. This latest attempt won't act as a miracle As Seen on TV deodorizer.

I'm certain Meyer and his minions agreed to this interview so that, from now on through the duration of the season and forever and ever, he can refer all questions about Zach Smith to "my interview with Tom Rinaldi. Next question."

Sorry, but that doesn't make the stench disappear like Winston Wolf. Nor will it prevent giant signs from popping up behind the set on ESPN's College GameDay with a Pinocchio nose Photoshopped on Meyer's face.

The most damning and clumsy exchange came when Rinaldi asked Meyer about the internal Ohio State report that concluded he asked a fellow employee how to delete text messages from prior years off his phone. Rinaldi asked why he would want to do that. Meyer's response:

"I made it very clear that I did not delete messages off my phone. I also made it clear that I don't understand how to change a setting on my phone."

Duh. Which is why he would ask for help from someone else to do it. The OSU report also says he displayed consciousness of guilt about the matter, about which Rinaldi also asked. Meyer's response:

"All due respect to the report, there was no consciousness of guilt about what was on my phone. None."

So, Rinaldi asked: The report was wrong?

"Once again, I'm just telling you what my... if you're asking me if there was there consciousness of guilt on Urban Meyer in regard to text messages or deleted messages, there's zero. None."

From purely the viewpoint of a damage-control consultant, none of this is helping. Meyer just came off looking shiftier. And it also begs the question...

3. Under what circumstance could you seriously use third-person reference?

Urban Meyer referred to himself as "Urban Meyer" twice during the Rinaldi interview. He also said: "I want to be perfectly clear to the world. Urban Meyer does not condone and would never allow domestic violence."

I don't know any other way to put this: Is there any truer "ass---- barometer" than someone who references himself in the third-person? Honestly, can you even imagine doing this with a straight face? I can't think of any stronger indicator of an ego uncoupled from reality.

Four postgame reads on PSU's 63-10 win over Kent State

It's hard to remember now, but you do recall that Penn State led only 21-10 with seconds to go in the first half against Kent State. Then the tsunami of Nittany Lion big plays hit the Golden Flashes. That's what this team can do. If they clean up all the ragged ends and sloppy mistakes, they might be really good.

In fact, I think we should all try this today in our home or workplace. I want everyone to do it and pay attention to the reactions of their friends and co-workers. And you can't be comedically obvious like "Jimmy" in Seinfeld. You have to slip in a third-person reference to yourself in the course of normal workday conversation and do it like Urban Meyer did - with a stone-sober expression.

Let's say your name is Joyce Redding. Maybe look down at a report on your desk and then casually look up as if you're in thought to say: "Unless it's edited a little more tightly, I don't know that Joyce Redding can approve this version."

I'm gonna try it with my wife: "Dave Jones is going to play basketball tonight, so you'll have to make dinner." It might work better in a serious moment where I pretend to take a stand on something: "Dave Jones is not going to tolerate cell phones at the dinner table." I'll report back whether anyone slaps me and how many times.

4. Ryan Day ran a smarter offense. Now it's gonna be obvious.

If there's a silver lining to any of this, it's that offensive coordinator and interim head coach Ryan Day had three very good Saturdays at the helm of the Ohio State football team. His offense was crisp and it used OSU's personnel in ways that fully exploited its abundant talent. Rookie sophomore starter Dwayne Haskins looked sharper than any quarterback the Buckeyes have had since Texas coach Tom Herman was the OSU quarterbacks assistant and OC four years ago.

Meyer's encouragement of the QB running 10 to 15 times a game on read-option keepers has been abandoned. Haskins has almost never run, shows no inclination to and is not getting beaten up. He just stands back there and slings it while the Buckeyes' two sturdy backs do the ground work.

The result has been garish blowouts of two ill-equipped opponents in Oregon State and Rutgers and an impressive comeback win over a very good Texas Christian team on Saturday night in Dallas. Day will retire for now with a 1.000 winning percentage.

It can only go downhill from here. One loss with a sputtering offense to Penn State or Nebraska or Michigan State or, God forbid, Michigan and everyone in scarlet and gray pajamas is going to be baying for Day's return before someone else hires him away, Meyer's three national titles be damned. No fickler species has been discovered than the football fanatic.

So, why did Meyer set himself up for all of this with yet another attempt to set us all straight? Maybe, like many narcissists, he can't stand it when everyone doesn't idolize him. Maybe he can't stomach fully admitting fault.

Remember when he was asked at the press conference if he had any message for Courtney Smith and he didn't even mention her, let alone offer even a half-apology? All he could see was that he was being attacked. It was all about him.

And that's why Urban Meyer keeps trying over and over to set the record straight about Urban Meyer.

Urb, we're good. By now, I suspect most of us understand who you are just fine.

EMAIL/TWITTER DAVID JONES: djones@pennlive.com

David Jones, as is often the case, with a very good article.

Meyer definitely chose to do that ESPN interview. Going on with Rinaldi was the equivalent of a celebrity going on the Oprah show. Meyer, however, did the exact opposite of many of those celebrities --- instead of apologies or perhaps even shedding a tear, Meyer decided to double-down and play the "I acted correct" card.

Which is fine, but I don't think that's a good long-term strategy for him. As Jones said, you have to be able to sell yourself when you're recruiting. More folk have a dubious opinion of Meyer than they did 2 months ago.

David Jones, as is often the case, with a very good article.

Meyer definitely chose to do that ESPN interview. Going on with Rinaldi was the equivalent of a celebrity going on the Oprah show. Meyer, however, did the exact opposite of many of those celebrities --- instead of apologies or perhaps even shedding a tear, Meyer decided to double-down and play the "I acted correct" card.

Which is fine, but I don't think that's a good long-term strategy for him. As Jones said, you have to be able to sell yourself when you're recruiting. More folk have a dubious opinion of Meyer than they did 2 months ago.

So, you are saying he should have said "In hind sight, I wish I had done more." A guy that actually did something, unlike Meyer got butchered for being empathetic. Or, do different rules apply for different people and programs in the media for the B1G. Urban was Urban. I applaud him for being the natural born a$$ that he is and doing it consistently.

Meyer continues to insult our intelligence every time he lies. We're not stupid.
Meyer doesn’t give a flying F about what you, me or anyone else that isn’t the parent of a prized recruit thinks about his latest bulls&&t interview. That was done solely to stem any bleeding from recruiting. As long as he can continue to pull
the wool over the eyes of recruits parents that’s all that matters.

So, you are saying he should have said "In hind sight, I wish I had done more." A guy that actually did something, unlike Meyer got butchered for being empathetic. Or, do different rules apply for different people and programs in the media for the B1G. Urban was Urban. I applaud him for being the natural born a$$ that he is and doing it consistently.

I didn't want this thread to devolve into a conversation on one of our former coaches, but it should be said that the man who said "in hind sight, I wish I had done more" also wasn't completely forthright in the November 2011-January 2012 period.

He knew about 1998 in 2001. But didn't admit it.

I really believe that the pressure of the BIG and maybe beyond for the Buckeyes via the BIG Championship and Playoffs will do him in. Can you imagine how many times he will be asked these questions this year and the outcry he will face in opposing stadiums?

I think he walks away regardless of his Everest sized ego.

I think this guy could actually crack and do a Jimmy Piersall (google it since you’re a lot younger than me).

Meyer doesn’t give a flying F about what you, me or anyone else that isn’t the parent of a prized recruit thinks about his latest bulls&&t interview. That was done solely to stem any bleeding from recruiting. As long as he can continue to pull
the wool over the eyes of recruits parents that’s all that matters.
Meyer has damaged his credibility and ultimately damaged the program. Things can change quickly with recruiting, and this whole episode is a negative for many young recruits and their families.

I didn't want this thread to devolve into a conversation on one of our former coaches, but it should be said that the man who said "in hind sight, I wish I had done more" also wasn't completely forthright in the November 2011-January 2012 period.

Q: Other than the incident that Mike McQueary reported to you, do you know in any way, through rumor, direct knowledge or any other fashion, of any other inappropriate sexual conduct by Jerry Sandusky with young boys?

A: I do not know of anything else that Jerry Sandusky would be involved in, no. I do not know of it. You did mention—I think you said something about a rumor. It may have been discussed in my presence, something else about somebody. I don't know. I don't remember, and I could not honestly say I heard a rumor.

"After Curley's initial updates to Paterno, the available record is not clear as to how the conclusion of the Sandusky investigation was conveyed to Paterno. Witnesses consistently told the Special Investigative Counsel that Paterno was in control of the football facilities and knew "everything that was going on." As Head Coach, he had the authority to establish permissible uses of football facilities. Nothing in the record indicates that Curley or Schultz discussed whether Paterno should restrict or terminate Sandusky's uses of the facilities of that Paterno conveyed any such expectations to Sandusky.

Joe may have been aware of the 1998 investigation, but its not proven he was given anything conclusive and the investigation ended.

Reactions: colt21
^^^^^ THIS is the post of the month if not the year! If anyone wants to know the difference between the LAST college football coach with all class and the current crop of mostly ego-driven a$$hats just have them read this. I really like CJF and how he is continuing the Success With Honor, but sadly there will never be another JVP.

Reactions: colt21
Urban Meyer can coach Ohio State again, so why won't he just shut up and coach?
Updated 6:37 AM; Posted 6:30 AM
Urban Meyer exclusive interview Pt. 2 on Courtney Smith, Ohio State suspension | SportsCenter | ESPN

0shares

By David Jones

djones@pennlive.com

This is the third time I find myself writing about Urban Meyer in six weeks. And I don't even want to. But he keeps forcing me.

On Sunday and Monday, ESPN and its Tom Rinaldi, the reporter it usually saves for heart-rending stories with pensive piano background music, aired an interview that clearly was agreed upon as a win-win by Team Urban. Except every time he takes one of these little ventures into personal public damage control, he keeps losing.

This is the fourth time, including a couple of issued statements and the disastrous Ohio State press conference announcing his 3-game "suspension," that Meyer has attempted to address questions surrounding his handling of Zach Smith, the assistant coach he finally fired amid domestic abuse accusations by his ex-wife Courtney Smith.

There should have been one, maybe two. All the Ohio State coach had to do was admit he attempted to excuse Smith, the coach, because he's the grandson of his mentor, late former OSU head coach Earle Bruce. It's a plausible rationale.

Only problem for Meyer is, he would've had to admit he lied and he was wrong to do it. Not that a reporter made something up. Not that he misspoke. Not that he unintentionally misled. Not that he incorrectly answered. But a full apology not unlike those many of us make all the time:

That he was trying to keep information out of the public realm. That he was trying to protect the coach at the probable expense of the wife. But he did so at the time with what he saw as noble intent. That he lied and he was wrong to do so.

But Urban really has a problem with that. The longer this goes on, the more he and his people attempt to clarify a situation almost everyone who cares has sifted out for themselves already, the more he looks like some sort of narcissist who simply can't except fault.

Here are my four and hopefully final observations on his latest dissemination of duplicitous rhetoric.

1. He can coach now, so why won't he just shut up?

Sit-down Q&As like this don't just happen. They are usually offered up with the initiative of the aggrieved and their handlers. Meyer wanted to go before the cameras. He and his agent had to have chosen Rinaldi from some sort of list and it was agreed upon by ESPN. Why?

Because people like Meyer, not to mention their lawyers and agents, are never short on chutzpah. They believe, given a controlled environment, they can win the day and alter public perception.

In this case, it's important for Meyer's continued success as a recruiter. Other than Nick Saban, he's been the best in the business. And, ask any great recruiter, head coaches especially, and they'll tell you: You don't recruit 17-year-olds. You recruit their parents. Moms in particular.

Any coach who's perceived as soft on domestic violence can be attacked by rival recruiters. You see where I'm going. Meyer cannot have this.

And so, he and his people wanted to take one more crack at clearing away any perception that he could be tolerant of an employee accused of domestic abuse against a woman - as Meyer's wife Shelley indicated she feared Zach Smith was. You'll recall her texts to Courtney Smith:

"A lot of women stay hoping it will get better. I don't blame you! But just want u to be safe. Do you have a restraining order? He scares me."

Except Urban keeps screwing it up because he can't fully admit: 1. He lied. 2. He was wrong.

B1G Power Poll: League horror show leaves PSU near top

The only good news for the B1G came in Dallas where Ohio State acquired the conference's first legitimate quality win.The Buckeyes, Penn State and Iowa now stand as the only three B1G teams with a realistic chance to stay unblemished all year. That's where we begin the doleful week 4 edition of the Big Ten Power Poll.

He did lie about knowing of 2015 accusations against Smith at Big Ten media day on July 24. Over and over. He only fired Smith when reporter Brett McMurphy's story cornered him. Then he pretended it was his own call. And he's still doing it. In his Rinaldi interview:

"I made a mistake. I did not lie. There's a... in my mind, you know, I don't lie to people. I don't lie to people. If you're gonna ask me a question and I incorrectly answer their question, or I misspoke or I... to me, there's a big difference. And once again, I apologize.

"I erred at Media Day. But there was never one time where I got asked a question and I was trying to mislead that person asking the question."

That's exactly what he was trying to do and even Meyer's more staunch backers acknowledge that much. Coaches lie to reporters all the time. Why won't he admit this one and just call it what it was?

2. This latest attempt won't act as a miracle As Seen on TV deodorizer.

I'm certain Meyer and his minions agreed to this interview so that, from now on through the duration of the season and forever and ever, he can refer all questions about Zach Smith to "my interview with Tom Rinaldi. Next question."

Sorry, but that doesn't make the stench disappear like Winston Wolf. Nor will it prevent giant signs from popping up behind the set on ESPN's College GameDay with a Pinocchio nose Photoshopped on Meyer's face.

The most damning and clumsy exchange came when Rinaldi asked Meyer about the internal Ohio State report that concluded he asked a fellow employee how to delete text messages from prior years off his phone. Rinaldi asked why he would want to do that. Meyer's response:

"I made it very clear that I did not delete messages off my phone. I also made it clear that I don't understand how to change a setting on my phone."

Duh. Which is why he would ask for help from someone else to do it. The OSU report also says he displayed consciousness of guilt about the matter, about which Rinaldi also asked. Meyer's response:

"All due respect to the report, there was no consciousness of guilt about what was on my phone. None."

So, Rinaldi asked: The report was wrong?

"Once again, I'm just telling you what my... if you're asking me if there was there consciousness of guilt on Urban Meyer in regard to text messages or deleted messages, there's zero. None."

From purely the viewpoint of a damage-control consultant, none of this is helping. Meyer just came off looking shiftier. And it also begs the question...

3. Under what circumstance could you seriously use third-person reference?

Urban Meyer referred to himself as "Urban Meyer" twice during the Rinaldi interview. He also said: "I want to be perfectly clear to the world. Urban Meyer does not condone and would never allow domestic violence."

I don't know any other way to put this: Is there any truer "ass---- barometer" than someone who references himself in the third-person? Honestly, can you even imagine doing this with a straight face? I can't think of any stronger indicator of an ego uncoupled from reality.

Four postgame reads on PSU's 63-10 win over Kent State

It's hard to remember now, but you do recall that Penn State led only 21-10 with seconds to go in the first half against Kent State. Then the tsunami of Nittany Lion big plays hit the Golden Flashes. That's what this team can do. If they clean up all the ragged ends and sloppy mistakes, they might be really good.

In fact, I think we should all try this today in our home or workplace. I want everyone to do it and pay attention to the reactions of their friends and co-workers. And you can't be comedically obvious like "Jimmy" in Seinfeld. You have to slip in a third-person reference to yourself in the course of normal workday conversation and do it like Urban Meyer did - with a stone-sober expression.

Let's say your name is Joyce Redding. Maybe look down at a report on your desk and then casually look up as if you're in thought to say: "Unless it's edited a little more tightly, I don't know that Joyce Redding can approve this version."

I'm gonna try it with my wife: "Dave Jones is going to play basketball tonight, so you'll have to make dinner." It might work better in a serious moment where I pretend to take a stand on something: "Dave Jones is not going to tolerate cell phones at the dinner table." I'll report back whether anyone slaps me and how many times.

4. Ryan Day ran a smarter offense. Now it's gonna be obvious.

If there's a silver lining to any of this, it's that offensive coordinator and interim head coach Ryan Day had three very good Saturdays at the helm of the Ohio State football team. His offense was crisp and it used OSU's personnel in ways that fully exploited its abundant talent. Rookie sophomore starter Dwayne Haskins looked sharper than any quarterback the Buckeyes have had since Texas coach Tom Herman was the OSU quarterbacks assistant and OC four years ago.

Meyer's encouragement of the QB running 10 to 15 times a game on read-option keepers has been abandoned. Haskins has almost never run, shows no inclination to and is not getting beaten up. He just stands back there and slings it while the Buckeyes' two sturdy backs do the ground work.

The result has been garish blowouts of two ill-equipped opponents in Oregon State and Rutgers and an impressive comeback win over a very good Texas Christian team on Saturday night in Dallas. Day will retire for now with a 1.000 winning percentage.

It can only go downhill from here. One loss with a sputtering offense to Penn State or Nebraska or Michigan State or, God forbid, Michigan and everyone in scarlet and gray pajamas is going to be baying for Day's return before someone else hires him away, Meyer's three national titles be damned. No fickler species has been discovered than the football fanatic.

So, why did Meyer set himself up for all of this with yet another attempt to set us all straight? Maybe, like many narcissists, he can't stand it when everyone doesn't idolize him. Maybe he can't stomach fully admitting fault.

Remember when he was asked at the press conference if he had any message for Courtney Smith and he didn't even mention her, let alone offer even a half-apology? All he could see was that he was being attacked. It was all about him.

And that's why Urban Meyer keeps trying over and over to set the record straight about Urban Meyer.

Urb, we're good. By now, I suspect most of us understand who you are just fine.

EMAIL/TWITTER DAVID JONES: djones@pennlive.com

The most insulting and cowardly portion of his lengthy Press Conference was when he said he apologizes to duhO$U and only duhO$U (which contradicted his lame statement following his cowardly performance at the PC called by the duhO$U BOT to release the findings of their internal investigation). His statements were cowardly and "insult to injury" for the true victim here, which is not whiny Urbs regardless if he lamely continues to feels most sorry for for "poor whittle Urbie".

Joe indicated he may have been aware of a rumour but nothing definitive relative to '98. And the guy was in his mid eighties so memories are not what they once were.

Last edited:
Reactions: RussianEagle
Honestly, I can't read much of Jones these days. I feel like I'm reading Freeh when I see his garbage.

Sure you don’t! That’s exactly what you want. Take a hike clown.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
It should be fair game for all of his recruits now...I don’t think it even comes close to negative recruiting if/when Franklin and every other coach sits in a recruit’s living room and reminds parents (moms) that Urban is a pathological liar. It’s public record after all, and people deserve to be reminded that anything he promises needs to be taken with a block of salt.

It should be fair game for all of his recruits now...I don’t think it even comes close to negative recruiting if/when Franklin and every other coach sits in a recruit’s living room and reminds parents (moms) that Urban is a pathological liar. It’s public record after all, and people deserve to be reminded that anything he promises needs to be taken with a block of salt.
No, negative recruiting is never a good thing. It says a lot more about the coach using such a tactic then it says about the subject.

I am always torn between how PSU was treated (continuity) and what is fair.

Aside from the changing the phone settings, I can understand how this happened. As Urban said, there were no charges so what are you going to do as a football coach? It was the same for Paterno. I don't expect coaches to investigate charges, I expect them to turn it over to others and let them do the investigating. Meyer was trying to take care of a friend's kid. I get it. If anything, Meyer showed poor judgement. But poor judgement, when taken as a whole, is not too bad when you consider tOSU's graduation rate, performance and player development.

So I am torn between what I think it right (giving UM a warning and a suspension) or treating him like Joe got treated. My biggest heartburn is the fact that Joe's legacy is ruined and Meyer's is intact.

No, negative recruiting is never a good thing. It says a lot more about the coach using such a tactic then it says about the subject.

This. And there’s no reason for Franklin to do it because plenty of other coaches will.

I am always torn between how PSU was treated (continuity) and what is fair.

Aside from the changing the phone settings, I can understand how this happened. As Urban said, there were no charges so what are you going to do as a football coach? It was the same for Paterno. I don't expect coaches to investigate charges, I expect them to turn it over to others and let them do the investigating. Meyer was trying to take care of a friend's kid. I get it. If anything, Meyer showed poor judgement. But poor judgement, when taken as a whole, is not too bad when you consider tOSU's graduation rate, performance and player development.

So I am torn between what I think it right (giving UM a warning and a suspension) or treating him like Joe got treated. My biggest heartburn is the fact that Joe's legacy is ruined and Meyer's is intact.

The Shelley Meyer stuff doesn’t add up either. Same with Zach’s personal conduct in the football offices. Neither does the medically induced memory loss. Or Urban not knowing how to change the settings on his phone... It isn’t just deleted texts.

He came off like the worst part of the whole thing was being suspended. He was devastated. Everything was about him, when he should have been painting an entirely different focus.

Media day -
I personally care deeply for Zach and Courtney. I was not prepared for the question and I should not have lied. I was worried it would become a media circus and hurt them both.

I have tried my best to help Zach and Courtney, but things were worse than I realized. It is hard to know what is going on in a marriage and I was naive to think that I could help fix it. <wipes fake tear> I only ever wanted to help them, but I should have reached out to people more qualified. I could have let him go, but that would not have resolved the real issue. I am sorry for what Courtney had to go through.

On being suspended -
The issue is too important to worry about if I get to coach a game. I only hope this bring more awareness to how serious an issue domestic violence is. We have reached a point in society where we will no longer let women suffer in silence. There is help.

How hard is that?

Reactions: BudatPSU
He came off like the worst part of the whole thing was being suspended. He was devastated. Everything was about him, when he should have been painting an entirely different focus.

Media day -
I personally care deeply for Zach and Courtney. I was not prepared for the question and I should not have lied. I was worried it would become a media circus and hurt them both.

I have tried my best to help Zach and Courtney, but things were worse than I realized. It is hard to know what is going on in a marriage and I was naive to think that I could help fix it. <wipes fake tear> I only ever wanted to help them, but I should have reached out to people more qualified. I could have let him go, but that would not have resolved the real issue. I am sorry for what Courtney had to go through.

On being suspended -
The issue is too important to worry about if I get to coach a game. I only hope this bring more awareness to how serious an issue domestic violence is. We have reached a point in society where we will no longer let women suffer in silence. There is help.

How hard is that?

It’s really hard when you’re the real victim in the whole mess...

I agree...I just don’t think reminding a recruit (and his family) about his lying on the public record is negative.

Jones didn't like Jim Tressel either. How Jones feels about Ohio State has nothing to do with how he feels about their head coaches.

Jones doesn’t give a crap about what Meyer did or did not do. He cares about the moral high ground. Meyer getting caught doing things we all knew he has always done makes it impossible for Jones to look down his nose at the little people.

It’s like the #metoo crowd who didn’t care Clinton abused women but want to lecture you now about things or the “conservatives” who were screaming that Obama wanted to “bankrupt the country”, but didn’t make a sound while GW was President or now when we are still running up deficits.

The majority of people don’t want to be bothered with doing things or saying stuff, much less sticking to their principles. They just want to believe they are better than everyone else and that is what satisfies them.

Urb is going to get recruiting back on track with a few well-timed references to Jesus and such. Phony piety cures all ills with most dopes.

Reactions: odshowtime
Dave Jones is an idiot and a total Ohio St fanboy. This article is simply his way of finally coming to the conclusion that Meyer is hurting Ohio St football long term and it doesn’t hurt that he likes what he sees with Ryan Day.

I suspect most Ohio St fans are now coming to this same conclusion. Ohio St recruiting has fallen from top 5 to #18 for the 19 class and it could get considerably worse as the zero credibility remaining Meyer effect is just now starting to happen on the trail. It doesn’t matter how much money they flash the kids, Meyer is damaged goods and everyone knows it.

So Ohio St fans reluctantly are going to now start to care about spouse abuse and they are going to want Meyer to just go away. Eventually, they will hold the same opinion of Meyer that Florida fans do. The difference here is that Ohio St has a competent option in place who is already winning big games and Meyer hasn’t infected the entire roster and staff.

But make no mistake, Jones is an Ohio St fanboy who wants what is best for Ohio St football. This is why he reluctantly has determined that Meyer must go, not for his complete lack of morals or his protection of a spouse abuser over a decade at 2 different programs while getting DUIs and failed drug rehabs and sending thousands of dollars in sex toys to Ohio St football offices while screwing a secretary there and stalking his ex at 2 am, but because he is going to slowly kill recruiting.

And nobody is dumb enough to buy his line about it being for Meyer’s mentor. We know Zach Smith was purchasing recruits.

Jones is either parroting Stephen A Smith or vice versa. I don't care which because I don't care what either of them thinks, about anything.

The fact that they are momentarily going after someone that I don't like either doesn't change what either of them are.

Honestly, I can't read much of Jones these days. I feel like I'm reading Freeh when I see his garbage.
As a rarity, I read the article as pasted in (no click.). I agree with what he wrote, but anybody could have written what everybody thinks RE this and I don’t like his tone.

Excellent work. The troll tried so hard to veer the thread into the abyss. Nice work by all posters!

If you follow the course of this thread, you will notice that michnittlion (I'm channeling my inner Urban Meyer and speaking in the 3rd person) was not the first poster to refer to our 3-times-removed former Head Coach. It was somebody else.

Thats why Franlklin will let Ole Jimmy do it for him. There are plenty of coaches that will take that approach and Franklin can sit back and collect the rewards

Reactions: odshowtime
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT