ADVERTISEMENT

Forbes: Urban Meyer’s fate rests with Law Firm’s findings (link)

Meyer is going to take a negotiated settlement and Ohio State will make sure he does not look too bad. He knows he is tainted, recruiting will be more difficult than it has to be at Ohio State, thus time to move on. Meyer gets hired by LSU in November 2018 for 5 years $40 million. They won't care about Meyer's baggage.
He already has 1/4 of his coaching staff for this transition...Zack, Durkin ;)

Keep in mind, PSU cleaned house and is only now getting recruiting back to an elite level. I am not saying that recruiting at Ohio State will stink, I think they go from a top 1 to 3 class most years to a top 10 to 15 every year. It only takes a couple of recruits to make a difference in the class. Meyer will no longer have a huge talent edge on everybody else. When the kitchen starts getting hot, Meyer leaves.

We're far ahead of how we were recruiting before the scandal. Cleaning house was necessary but not because of Sandusky. The scholarship limits hurt us more than anything else

I don't believe Ohio State will miss a beat if he stays...maybe I'm wrong...we may never know if they let him go

Not Urban's call to determine "gravity of the situation" or whether "allegations were true." If that's a defense, it's a universal excuse. Rule is that if you are aware of the possibility of abuse, you report it and let those with the expertise and authority to investigate do their job.
Agreed. Can you imagine if JVP thought the "gravity of the situation" of horse-play wasn't worth reporting (which based on 1998 could be legit)!? I mean he was still fired and crucified despite reporting it per university policy, but there would have been a real lynch mob looking to string him up.

But I'm sure Roxine is over on the O$U board telling them how wrong UM was in his mishandling of the situation!

Reactions: colt21
Meyer is going to take a negotiated settlement and Ohio State will make sure he does not look too bad. He knows he is tainted, recruiting will be more difficult than it has to be at Ohio State, thus time to move on. Meyer gets hired by LSU in November 2018 for 5 years $40 million. They won't care about Meyer's baggage.

My bet is on Tennessee. They will look the other way to win again.

I find myself rooting for UM. It troubles me that the media, in this case sports media, have transplanted the justice system in our country. The average person buys their sensational rantings, hook, line and sinker. All of them......Paterno, Meyer, Durkin, Izzo, etc. are power hungry, immoral,narcissists.
Everyone has evil intent in their daily lives except sport journalists, who are eager and willing to guide us on the path of righteousness and justice. They tell us that following policy, procedure and the letter of the law is unacceptable. These folks should have and must do "more."
24 hour news and sports cycles are beasts that demand to be satiated. Even here, others that I thought were thoughtful, insightful and intelligent posters, quote stories that are often sourced by"anonymous" individuals. It seems the lines have been blurred between mistakes (which I thought everyone is guilty of) and crime.

Just my .02 but I doubt the $40M is even an issue. IMO that would be negotiated and Urban will take less than that to go away. If they agree to pay him 20M OSU saves 20M and Urban rides into the sunset with a massive lump sum of money, relaxes for a year or two and returns to coach at a sleeping giant such as USC, Texas (wouldn't that be ironic?), Iowa, FSU, Oregon ...

Iowa?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbaker/2018/08/13/urban-meyer-ohio-state-zach-smith/#1b7587175e8a

We can forget about Title IX. Unless Courtney Smith was seeking education or employment at tOSU it is not germane to the case.

We needn’t focus on the 2015 incident, either. First, Smith was never arrested. And yet Gene Smith confronted Zach Smith about violating the restraining order. How did Gene Smith found out? Unless he makes a habit of reading local police blotters he probably found out through Urban Meyer. Ergo, Meyer followed reporting protocols. The smoking gun would be lack-of-evidence Urban reported it. But based on his statement release Urban seems pretty confident. My money is on Urban here.

Therefore, the “issue at bar” is tOSU’s policy on domestic violence. Urban knew of the 2009 incident but despite this he hired Zach Smith. This shows indifference to acts of domestic violence and therefore, cause to fire Urban Meyer. Maybe this explains Courtney Smith’s threats to bring down Zach and Meyer in 2013. I doubt DailyBuck77 can argue against this. IMO, Urban is gone by the beginning of next week.

Important to note the law firm leading the probe is international and not Columbus-based. That lends credence to the independence of the investigation.

3 members of the smarmy OSU BoT are on the investigation committee. So how’s it independent?

It puzzles me how no one is asking urban what other actions he made? A head foto ball coach is a boss, mentor and friend to his staff. In my opinion he had a moral obligation to try to help Courtney and Zack. Did he recommend any counseling or treatment programs? What kind of Christian intentionally overlooks spousal abuse when he is clearly in a position to help?

It puzzles me how no one is asking urban what other actions he made? A head foto ball coach is a boss, mentor and friend to his staff. In my opinion he had a moral obligation to try to help Courtney and Zack. Did he recommend any counseling or treatment programs? What kind of Christian intentionally overlooks spousal abuse when he is clearly in a position to help?

Now we're playing the moral card that people played against Joe? Really?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbaker/2018/08/13/urban-meyer-ohio-state-zach-smith/#1b7587175e8a

We can forget about Title IX. Unless Courtney Smith was seeking education or employment at tOSU it is not germane to the case.

We needn’t focus on the 2015 incident, either. First, Smith was never arrested. And yet Gene Smith confronted Zach Smith about violating the restraining order. How did Gene Smith found out? Unless he makes a habit of reading local police blotters he probably found out through Urban Meyer. Ergo, Meyer followed reporting protocols. The smoking gun would be lack-of-evidence Urban reported it. But based on his statement release Urban seems pretty confident. My money is on Urban here.

Therefore, the “issue at bar” is tOSU’s policy on domestic violence. Urban knew of the 2009 incident but despite this he hired Zach Smith. This shows indifference to acts of domestic violence and therefore, cause to fire Urban Meyer. Maybe this explains Courtney Smith’s threats to bring down Zach and Meyer in 2013. I doubt DailyBuck77 can argue against this. IMO, Urban is gone by the beginning of next week.

Important to note the law firm leading the probe is international and not Columbus-based. That lends credence to the independence of the investigation.

Is there a reason why you/most PSU fans want to see Urban Meyer lose his head coaching position -- even if he followed protocol?

Do you believe that the university/ADept. was not aware of the Zack Smith/UFl incident?

Do you find any credibility with the statements of her mother and Zack's mother about Courtney 'wanting to take down her husband and UMeyer' ?

My bet is on Tennessee. They will look the other way to win again.
They hired Jeremy Pruitt in December and signed him to a six year contract. Timing not good for Urban this year. After next season, very possible.

Your right, they would not care if they won again.

This neglects to mention the possible finding that Urban or Gene possibly pressuring Courtney or the police to not press charges against Zack in the MULTIPLE 2015 incidents. Should that be found, put a fork in them.

Last edited:
No way Meyer gets booted, 'Indifference' or whatever. Durkin's crap at MD in the past few days has been the best thing to happen to OSU.

Not Urban's call to determine "gravity of the situation" or whether "allegations were true." If that's a defense, it's a universal excuse. Rule is that if you are aware of the possibility of abuse, you report it and let those with the expertise and authority to investigate do their job.
Damn. Wish JoePa would have done that. Oh, wait, that is what he did. Damn!!

I can have it anyway I want it. Turn about is fair play? For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. An eye for an eye. Karma's a bitch. Tit for tat.
Actually, if you care to follow most of my posts on the topic, I have leaned to the side of waiting for the facts and not rushing to judgement in this matter. But, I completely understand those PSU fans who take some satisfaction in seeing how far the self perceived "righteous and mighty" have fallen.

Just read where Zach had an impaired driving arrest and conviction in 2013....that's not helping the cause.

When the investigation ends and the university issue a written statement, I think it is fair to say that regardless of Meyer's fate, 75% of that statement is going to be about how OSU has zero tolerance for domestic abuse, is committed to supporting victims, etc.... So how can they take that position and still say they will allow Urban to remain as HC, the most visible position within the university? Will they put him on some sort of probation? Vow to educate him? IMHO it is simply not going to be plausible for OSU to reach any decision other than to terminate him.
For those who say, "if he reported it, he is safe", I honestly don't think it is going to make any difference if he reported it. All that means is Gene Smith also loses his job, as will anyone above Smith who was aware of the 2015 allegation. Don't lose sight of the fact that Urban hires and fires his assistants. Could the university have forced him to terminate Smith? Sure. But certainly they did not come to Urban and say "we forbid you from firing Zack Smith over this incident". So he may well have reported it, and perhaps the "investigators" came back to him and said "this is he said/she said" so we are not going to terminate him based on his actions, but if you feel he is toxic you can certainly do what you think is best for your program". So my point is, at some point this comes back to Urban to defend why he kept Smith on staff even though he knew of 2009 and 2015. All of the text messages to Urban's wife, and her responses... that's just piling on additional layers of insulation for the University to rely on when they terminate Urban.
Lastly, as we saw over the weekend, even though Herman may not have been the source for the initial story, there are also rumors out there that another former assistant at OSU, Tim Beck, may have been a source. Beck was a assistant for Meyer at OSU for a few years and is now OC at Texas. Anyone who has an ax to grind with Meyer is going to come out of the woodwork to provide details that may undermine any denials Urban may make.
So, IMHO, the only way Urban can keep his job is if he truly did not know of anything other than '09 and '15, was kept completely in the dark by Gene Smith as to any 2015 investigation, never heard anything from his wife relative to the texts, never had an assistant tell him Smith was toxic... and OSU is willing to suffer the embarrassment of admitting they were aware of two incidents of alleged domestic abuse, were willing to keep the alleged abuser and are now willing to keep the people who made the decision to keep the alleged abuser.
Interesting Analysis, but Urban is too big to fall, of course Joe was too big also and Joe reported JS to Joe's superiors. Same as Urban claiming he reported the incident (s). Urban gets a two game suspension and has to donate two games salary to some support group.

The issue is "good ol' boyism" protecting/nurturing abusers.

It's not a legal issue. The question is "How will the moderate feminists in tOSU's student body, faculty and alumni react when the report says that everybody knew and nothing was done?" He was kept in his job and not even required to undergo counseling.

If their female students care enough to protest, tOSU will need a sacrificial head to roll. Of course, the most left-leaning feminists hate football's culture of violence enough to raise a stink. Probably enough females love football to set that group off. However, we will soon see how the rank-and-file women feel.

Classes begin one week from today. Kids will show up on campus this coming weekend. Most schools have an anti-domestic violence indoctrination March during the first week.

Reactions: Cosmos
Is there a reason why you/most PSU fans want to see Urban Meyer lose his head coaching position -- even if he followed protocol?

Do you believe that the university/ADept. was not aware of the Zack Smith/UFl incident?

Do you find any credibility with the statements of her mother and Zack's mother about Courtney 'wanting to take down her husband and UMeyer' ?

Wait--so, if we're mad they didn't defend Joe then are we as bad as them for not defending Meyer? You can't have it both ways
They not only didn’t defend Joe, they trashed (and continue to trash) our entire fan base. But I get it, we should turn the other cheek...I’m all out of cheeks to turn. Burn them to the ground.

You have to ask Penn State fans why they want to see Urban get fired? Really? You must have been on another planet for the last seven years.

And I find no credibility with the statements about Courtney wanting to take Urban down...if that’s true, then what an evil genius she is to concoct a plan and put it in place for five years just to take Urban Meyer down. And why would she want to? Courtney’s mother has already contradicted that story anyway.

The problem is all of his lies to the media were of the Sargent Schultz variety ( I know nothing) except when he took on the mantle as someone who has moral authority and spoke " on behalf " of the university and claimed " if he did know he would have made a change". If he does get fired that's the statement that's going hang him. If he doesn't get fired it's gonna follow him and the University around for a long time. Although it is just my opinion, I feel once anyone in a leadership position loses moral authority the game is over.

If their female students care enough to protest, tOSU will need a sacrificial head to roll. Of course, the most left-leaning feminists hate football's culture of violence enough to raise a stink. Probably enough females love football to set that group off. However, we will soon see how the rank-and-file women feel.

Classes begin one week from today. Kids will show up on campus this coming weekend. Most schools have an anti-domestic violence indoctrination March during the first week.
Here is how I envision the reaction of most female OSU coeds....
young-woman-texting-while-walking.jpg

Last edited:

Who has had the opportunity to ask? (Publicly at least) Outside of the statement he posted on Twitter he hasn’t done any interviews or made any statements.

What a betrayal, after the OSU fanbase defended Joe Paterno so vociferously!
I think your earlier post was right on, although I’m not sure I’m hoping UM is vindicated —unless he shows enough personal investment in helping to justify the lying.

Lying alone may or may not have been enough for termination. But given the topic it shouldn’t be treated as a small thing. I hope he did the right things otherwise and neither CUM’s nor others’ behavior went truly out of bounds (conflicting stories). I hope he tried to help and really invested himself in that. If so, the lie may become excusable as perhaps a knee-jerk response to something very personal to him-like something he was involved with and treated as confidential.

But if the story is as bad as reported, he knew it was bad and he didn’t really show he cared about the situation — and lied about it as well, it’d certainly make a statement if OSU doesn’t take action and remove him.

I don’t want an easier road to the B1G Championship or playoff because media frenzy-driven outcry created an excuse to ruin a man’s career and legacy. That’d be awful. I also don’t want to succumb to the us-them mentality of PSU = good and OSU = bad and all that crap beyond the bounds of sportsmanship. It’s a great and successful university and athletic department.

I’m not the judge here but I’d think it’d be ok if he did the right thing, or tried to and fell short. We’ll see. But I also tend to think he can’t be a university representative and leader of young men on its behalf if he didn’t follow the right path and lied about it, discrediting himself in the process. OSU has already demonstrated they can do the right thing by firing Jim Tressel for lying about something far less troubling.

They not only didn’t defend Joe, they trashed (and continue to trash) our entire fan base. But I get it, we should turn the other cheek...I’m all out of cheeks to turn. Burn them to the ground.

I just don't get the gratification in watching it burn. Also, they didn't defend us because our leaders didn't want us to be defended.

osu68, completely serious question that I hope you will answer honestly ... what are your thoughts on Joe Paterno?

I personally am not rooting either way in regards to if UM is fired or not. I do question his overall judgment in regard to keeping Zack Smith on staff, (after 2009 and 2015), regardless of whether he reported the incidents up the food chain.

I also question the judgment of the university athletic department for keeping Smith on after the 2015 incident.

As far as his wife's mother, I am torn between accepting her assessment of the situation yet she also realizes that her daughter's ex husband's loss of a $300,000 plus job is not a good thing for her daughter or her grandchildren.

I think you forgot to put quotation marks around “findings”

I just don't get the gratification in watching it burn. Also, they didn't defend us because our leaders didn't want us to be defended.

"Also, they didn't defend us because our leaders didn't want us to be defended". Another one of your gems. Keep them coming. Whenever I am having a bad day, all I have to do is read your stuff. Thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT