ADVERTISEMENT

fc OT OSU going cheap, only $500,000 for the UM investigation....

sluggo72

Aug 31, 2006
I mean what do you get for a half a million?? To get a really good one, I think you would need at least $8,000,000.
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...ts-500k-budget-for-urban-meyer-investigation/

ust in case you needed yet another reminder, billable hours always, always wins.

According to the Columbus Dispatch, the law firm handling the investigation into Ohio State head football coach Urban Meyer, Debevoise & Plimpton LLP, has been given a budget of $500,000 by the office of Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine. The Dispatch writes that “the hourly rate for the investigative work is not to exceed $1,620.”

“Ohio State will compensate the firm for their services,” the newspaper added.

Meyer was placed on paid administrative leave Aug. 1 as questions into his handling of domestic abuse allegations made against his now-former assistant coach surfaced. The university launched an investigation into Meyer’s actions the day after the head coach’s leave was announced, with the university stating in an Aug. 5 press release that the probe is expected to be completed within 14 days from that date.

Zach Smith, fired by Meyer as OSU wide receivers coach July 23 in the wake of allegations that he abused his ex-wife, Courtney Smith, during their marriage, is expected to meet with the investigative team this week. Courtney Smith, along with her attorneys, met with investigators Monday.

In a statement Aug. 3, Meyer claimed that he has “always followed proper reporting protocols and procedures when I have learned of an incident involving a student-athlete, coach or member of our staff by elevating the issues to the proper channels.” Allegations of domestic abuse stemmed not only from Zach Smith’s time at OSU, but while he was on Meyer’s Florida staff in 2009 as well.

Meyer’s boss in Gainesville, former UF athletic director Jeremy Foley, declined commenton that 2009 incident earlier this month.

I mean what do you get for a half a million?? To get a really good one, I think you would need at least $8,000,000.
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...ts-500k-budget-for-urban-meyer-investigation/

ust in case you needed yet another reminder, billable hours always, always wins.

According to the Columbus Dispatch, the law firm handling the investigation into Ohio State head football coach Urban Meyer, Debevoise & Plimpton LLP, has been given a budget of $500,000 by the office of Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine. The Dispatch writes that “the hourly rate for the investigative work is not to exceed $1,620.”

“Ohio State will compensate the firm for their services,” the newspaper added.

Meyer was placed on paid administrative leave Aug. 1 as questions into his handling of domestic abuse allegations made against his now-former assistant coach surfaced. The university launched an investigation into Meyer’s actions the day after the head coach’s leave was announced, with the university stating in an Aug. 5 press release that the probe is expected to be completed within 14 days from that date.

Zach Smith, fired by Meyer as OSU wide receivers coach July 23 in the wake of allegations that he abused his ex-wife, Courtney Smith, during their marriage, is expected to meet with the investigative team this week. Courtney Smith, along with her attorneys, met with investigators Monday.

In a statement Aug. 3, Meyer claimed that he has “always followed proper reporting protocols and procedures when I have learned of an incident involving a student-athlete, coach or member of our staff by elevating the issues to the proper channels.” Allegations of domestic abuse stemmed not only from Zach Smith’s time at OSU, but while he was on Meyer’s Florida staff in 2009 as well.

Meyer’s boss in Gainesville, former UF athletic director Jeremy Foley, declined commenton that 2009 incident earlier this month.
Investigations like these don't cost nearly as much if you know the conclusion before your start.

Oh wait...

Not to get too deep into the weeds on this but I was curious as to how government in OH is structured that would require a state University to have its budget controlled by the Attorney General (an elected official who would appear to have nothing t do with budgeting as that is an executive/legislative function). Not a big deal, just curious and immediately causes me to wonder what, if any, connection Dewine has to OSU.

Not to get too deep into the weeds on this but I was curious as to how government in OH is structured that would require a state University to have its budget controlled by the Attorney General (an elected official who would appear to have nothing t do with budgeting as that is an executive/legislative function). Not a big deal, just curious and immediately causes me to wonder what, if any, connection Dewine has to OSU.
Most likely to give it the appearance of an independent investigation when the AG is running the investigation and not the University.

Well, even in PA, the AG has oversight of charitable entities. Possibly something like this investigation could fall into that bucket, particularly if they are trying to work behind attorney client privilege.

Jim Rome gets to the heart of the matter. (LINK)

Just what did/does Zach Smith have over Urban Meyer to get a free hand for a decade? Is it really just the fact that his grandpa was Earle Bruce?

Reactions: ImaWright
500k is not a lot, unless it's only gonna be a 14 day investigation. Pretty wild burn rate.

They're looking very closely at everything. I'm sure no stone will be left un-turned. That had anything under it anyway.

14712736_10154648056584283_6396701505616984390_o.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT