ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling FinalX PBP

Awesome to see 3 Lions on one world team, and firmly believe AB and Nolf’s time will come. Despite such riches, the real gem for me was Marsteller. Even without a world medal (though very possible), his story deserves a movie. Nothing better than a man owning past destructive behavior and fighting like a wolverine to redeem himself, while inspiring others to do the same.

Last edited:
one question Gilman was leading in both his matches so why did he make those stupid moves getting underneath and giving up easy takedowns he gave both those matches away!

Reactions: diggerpup and Ski
Salty Iowa fan on Facebook:

“Gilman the snake saying how much better penn state is then iowa lol other then the world title he has gotten worse at penn state”
He clearly should have stayed at the HWC. Then he could’ve been the highest placing member on his team. Man, he screwed up!:rolleyes::oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski
Finally got to watch Yianni-Lee r1. Man is that a tough caution + 1. We saw guys intentionally ground themselves on the edge all day without it and they call it the one time a guy ends up there off his own attack? Too often, it seems referees view the sport through the lens of the rules instead of vice versa. Have to understand what both guys are doing there. Yianni hits a level change duck, Lee stuffs it, they end up in front headlock and there's nowhere for either to go.

With that being said, love my hoosier Nick Lee. Wrestled his ass off and is always fun to watch. Medalling at 65 is too much to expect (there's a reason we're 1/16 since 2006), but here's hoping. You always need to be at your best and a little luck at that weight.

Congrats to all the NLWC members!

Awesome to see 3 of my favorite PSU wrestlers have success:

DT - hard to not love the Magic Man's pace/style. Obviously the Dake puzzle stymied him in college and is still hard to solve (as Nolf now knows all too well), but he has found FS success and let's hope he gets that 2nd Olympic gold in 2024.

Zain - have loved watching him punish opponents forever. Fully expect his FS trajectory to continue upward.

Nick Lee - still chopping wood and carrying water to victory! A role model of perseverance and competitiveness yet so humble and gracious.

Also fully expect Nolf and AB to be the next great FS torchbearers for NLWC. What a great time to be a wrestling fan, especially PSU!

The Nolf deal is such a weird and must be very frustrating situation because he has the skill but Dake is just equally skilled as well as stronger and more athletic
agree. and I am a huge nolf fan and agree he is getting better at freestyle. unfortunately for him so is dake since he moved to nlwc. I think he wins worlds and olympics. all but impossible to score on and getting better and better.

I'm okay if he stays put.
Did I need to use the sarcasm font on my Yianni to NLWC post? 🤣
agree. and I am a huge nolf fan and agree he is getting better at freestyle. unfortunately for him so is dake since he moved to nlwc. I think he wins worlds and olympics. all but impossible to score on and getting better and better.
It's a testament to how friggin good Dake is that he can make Jason Nolf of all people look unimpressive. But he does that to just about everybody in the world, and usually without looking super flashy himself.

I don't know that my heartbreak and frustration at what he did to DT at NCAAs years ago will ever fully heal, but I can't deny or fail to admire his exceptionalism on the mat.

A few takeaways:

1) In Gilman vs Richards I, it was a hard throw by from an underhook by Richards that scored the winning points. But what was most shocking to me was the lack of urgency from Gilman afterward. There was time to score after. Gilman let the clock run out without a serious attempt.

2) I’d like to see good video replay of the caution and one in Yianni v Lee I. I’m guessing Yianni did more than just ground. I’m guessing he also scooted out. Marstellar did the same in 3rd match and should have been called for it. Wouldn’t have mattered there, though.

3) DT v Brooks II has me thinking Brooks has a shot next year. DT couldn’t finish, AB could and the match was won in a very close exposure call and lost challenge on it.

4) Dake is too good. How do you make the most aggressive wrestler I’ve ever seen in college look defensive and passive without taking a shot? Nolf might need to try a different weight. Or stay at it for some more years.

5). Might be close to a changing of the guard. Except for Dake, a few are starting to look their age or at least be challenged (and beaten) like they are.

6) Parris closed the gap impressively but like Dake, Steveson is too good.

7) Still wondering if that was @82bordeaux in line near me before the event.

Reactions: Ski and PSUbluTX
A few takeaways:

1) In Gilman vs Richards I, it was a hard throw by from an underhook by Richards that scored the winning points. But what was most shocking to me was the lack of urgency from Gilman afterward. There was time to score after. Gilman let the clock run out without a serious attempt.

2) I’d like to see good video replay of the caution and one in Yianni v Lee I. I’m guessing Yianni did more than just ground. I’m guessing he also scooted out. Marstellar did the same in 3rd match and should have been called for it. Wouldn’t have mattered there, though.

3) DT v Brooks II has me thinking Brooks has a shot next year. DT couldn’t finish, AB could and the match was won in a very close exposure call and lost challenge on it.

4) Dake is too good. How do you make the most aggressive wrestler I’ve ever seen in college look defensive and passive without taking a shot? Nolf might need to try a different weight. Or stay at it for some more years.

5). Might be close to a changing of the guard. Except for Dake, a few are starting to look their age or at least be challenged (and beaten) like they are.

7) Wino had a wedding & reception yesterday, and apparently it was a late night.

• Haha
Reactions: LOTOlion and mcpat
A few takeaways:

re: nolf and Aaron etc needing a few more years (although Dake still might be in the way), it seems like most guys need a few years of free experience before excelling. Taylor, zain, lee and Yanni and Gilman and etc.

Reactions: mcpat
It sure sounds to me like DT will be ready to retire after 24 Olympics.
Now that Dake and he and are starting some business, Dake might also if he wins gold.
Even if so, will Nolf want to go another 4yrs?

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT