ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Rutgers discussion/PBP

Because it's not always about just winning at this point. It's about learning from situations and continuously improving.
I think he has learned quite enough about situations where you should not shoot frequently. In fact I think he received his PhD several years early. ;-)

Now on to the next lesson, how to shoot too often.

After practice tutoring sessions available from Nick Lee, MM, Nolf, Bo and Zain upon request.

I think he has learned quite enough about situations where you should not shoot frequently. In fact I think he received his PhD several years early. ;-)

Now on to the next lesson, how to shoot too often.

After practice tutoring sessions available from Nick Lee, MM, Nolf, Bo and Zain upon request.
The thing is you have no idea if the coaches told him to work specifically on one area or a certain technique. When going up against inferior competition it’s common to work on areas you want to improve. I wish he would’ve opened up a bit more but no one here knows if Cael told him to do what you say and shoot too often or to maybe work on his front head. What we do know is that he won again and is undefeated on the season

Had a good time with
@86PSUPaul @hlstone and Mr & Mrs @RoarLions1 pre-match, even if they tried to dump me in Boalsburg and I couldn’t take the hint.

My oldest is a student at PSU and she sat with me the whole match. Special moments. (It’s not like she’s a big wrestling fan.)
I know we met before but I believe it was in a larger group and didn’t really get to spend much time chatting. Last night it was nice to get to know you some. And treasure the time with your daughter. The biggest part of why I went to the Iowa meet was because my son wanted to meet up and go with me, always a great time!

Dean Heil, Jason Tsirtsis, Tony Nelson, Austin O'Connor, Shane Griffith, Nico Bonnacorsi, just to name a few. All great wrestlers too, by the way.

Not every wrestler is Nickal, Nolf, Taylor, or Ruth. Just enjoy Beau, because he sure seems like he's enjoying himself.
Mekhi Lewis to name another.

Last year Levi had a lot of close low-scoring matches but he was mentally tough. Beau is playing with fire.

You act like it's a guarantee.

Sure he may be the best I have ever seen at facing down the gun barrel late in the third, in SV or TBs and coming out on top. His record there is nothing short of amazing.

However, anyone who is content with that, is foolish. You know damned well that Cael has endless confidence in Beau's abilities in those situations, but he is not coached to take matches to the brink, and they want him to be more aggressive, to use the many god given skills he has to their fullest.

Statistically no matter the talent level, Beau will get burned sooner or later, and we all don't want this to happen at a critical moment. To 'manage' tight matches while facing backups makes real the idea of doing the same at tournament time against lesser competition.

Nick Lee got pinned in R1. DT in the finals, anything can happen at any time in wrestling, but when you set the table, all too often, to give the other guy a shot at a victory late in the match with just one move, that is craziness or at the very least quite Ill-advised.

For a #1 in the nation level athlete, this should be rare, not the norm. Beau has the petigree, speed, strength, talent, experience, resume, training partners, coaches, skill necessary to take most of these opponents to the woodshed, but he doesn't.

The answer is between the ears, and I don't see a lot of value in being an apologist and say 'relax' to those of us that see the obvious, simply because 'he is really good at it'.

I don't think there is a coach in any sport including Cael that has this thinking, why should we?
With you. Love Beau, but he’s hard on the heart and should NOT expect to win all these matches at the wire. If it takes shooting earlier and more often in the first with the possibility of being countered, DO IT! With his speed and power, odds are more likely that he hits it (like with Real) than not. If countered instead, I’m fine with a “caged hornet” mentality in periods 1 and 2 to shoot even more to come from behind. That’s a lesser risk than the one he leaves himself in the dying seconds.

I'm just not sure how that changes the premise "when you wrestle close matches, you can get beat by guys you're better than if you make one mistake."

Is your point "because Beau is winning close matches now, there's no reason to believe he'll lost them later?"
That's not a bad premise. Regardless of wrestler, consistently winning by a point or two is risky business, not just this year but anytime since the invention of wrestling. Old news really, but it is free game as a discussion point.

Just re. Bartlett though, I don't understand why the discussion isn't a bit more fair and balanced. Some of the folks posting would say they're Beau fans, yet this is their take? I'm confused about what it means to be a fan these days, as many of the same individuals haven't taken the time to give Beau his due. Dude is 43-3 (93.5% win %) at 141, came in 3rd at the 2023 NCAA Championships while seeded 6th and beating #3 Cole Matthews on his way, has won this season against #2 Woods, #3 Mendes, #14 Lemley, #15 Hines and beat current #6 McNeil last season.

Two more things. At this level wrestling is hard, and it's tough being a wrestler parent and visit the forums.

Last edited:
Kasak needs a haircut!
Now you sound like my father who would be 105 if he was still alive! He lived to be 93 and was as old school as can be.

Interesting note, he grew up on a farm in Lancaster county and was the oldest of 6 boys. He attended a one room school house 1st through 8th grade. His dad put him on a horse every morning. The horse took him to school and then went back to the barn on its own. In the afternoon my grandfather sent the horse back to the school alone and my dad rode it home. Self driving “car” way before it’s time!😉

The thing is you have no idea if the coaches told him to work specifically on one area or a certain technique. When going up against inferior competition it’s common to work on areas you want to improve. I wish he would’ve opened up a bit more but no one here knows if Cael told him to do what you say and shoot too often or to maybe work on his front head. What we do know is that he won again and is undefeated on the season
My sample size is not one match.

Now you sound like my father who would be 105 if he was still alive! He lived to be 93 and was as old school as can be.

Interesting note, he grew up on a farm in Lancaster county and was the oldest of 6 boys. He attended a one room school house 1st through 8th grade. His dad put him on a horse every morning. The horse took him to school and then went back to the barn on its own. In the afternoon my grandfather sent the horse back to the school alone and my dad rode it home. Self driving “car” way before it’s time!😉
I think they were just recognizing the number of times he swiped it from his eyes last night.

My sample size is not one match.
In the post-Iowa match interview Beau was smiling ear to ear and talking about how he “just shot instead of waiting for the perfect opportunity”. It was like a light bulb went off and he finally realized his powers. Like he’d completely turned a corner mentally.

I was shocked to see him do nothing last night.

Reactions: Ski
I had something that beat the crap out of me from around New Years until almost the end of January. As a double lung recipient, I was swabbed for COVID, RSV, Influenza A, Influenza B, pneumonia, CMV bloodwork, etc. Negative for everything despite a persistent low grade fever 100-101), heavy congestion and losing about 25 pounds. Dr said rest, fluids, and ride it out.

Hope these guys don’t continue to pass it around.
Lost 25 lbs you say? Hmmmm...

At 65, I’ve watched a lot of wrestling. I’ve never seen—not even at light weights where movement comes quicker or more often—what Mesenbrink does. It’s as though less oxygen is required for the seeming non-stop exertion. The second I think he’ll back off to catch a breath, he’s mid-flight on another shot.
It can’t just be “fast twitch muscles” (Iowa’s Birdboy is a poser next to our MM), which Mitchell must be chock full of. Perhaps some physical lung superiority? Do his somehow provide more energy from the same oxygen intake than other folk?
With no idea what fuels his pace, and like far more than just us Lion fans, I’m absolutely fascinated to watch this kid. Whatever the hell it is, I could sure use it on some of our hikes :) .
You're a hiker????? Lol

Reactions: HikeNatParks
Lost 25 lbs you say? Hmmmm...
You have no idea. 5’11” 165 to just less than 140, now back to about 143. Keep in mind I’m significantly immunosuppressed, have no pancreas due to Cystic Fibrosis, no Gall Bladder and about 50% kidney function due to the post transplant steroids. I do have two new highly functional lungs @ 9.5 years post xPlant.

You have no idea. 5’11” 165 to just less than 140, now back to about 143. Keep in mind I’m significantly immunosuppressed, have no pancreas due to Cystic Fibrosis, no Gall Bladder and about 50% kidney function due to the post transplant steroids. I do have two new highly functional lungs @ 9.5 years post xPlant.
Not my idea of a desirable descent plan. Take care of yourself, KC. We got more seasons left on this runway …

It's nerve-wracking for fans to watch, which is why people get upset.

However, it's not wrong to be concerned. It reminds me a lot of Brandon Sorensen. He was a finalist threat all 4 years and got upset in r2 in two of them because he wrestles tight matches.

There's also a part of it where when Beau goes, it looks great, so people don't understand why he can be so hesitant.
In 2022, your comparison for Beau Bartlett was Nelson Brands, now it's Brandon Sorensen. He's upgrading! Next goal is Michael Kemerer and we'll finish off with Spencer Lee.

And to think I was complaining about my E.D.

#themindisNOTthefirstthingtogo

Glad to hear you’re improving, and thank God for donors! I have two children with CF, and they are doing very well because of the major advancements in care and medications. Are you on Trikafta?

Ed Bassmaster Nascar GIF by Insurance_King

Pssh... you should visit GIA so they can tell you all about Spencer's knees. ;)

Me and my daughter who is a PSU grad think the football team should go black and pink during a home game in October. For one it's Breast cancer month. Secondly it's staying traditional to the school history. Third It would create a huge uptick on merchandise.
I think the national coverage of the football program doing that would be awesome.
I'm 62 and very much a traditionalist but I think it would be a win win situation.
It may be or not be common knowledge but PSU football's initial colors were pink and black. I really liked the unis last night.

Glad to hear you’re improving, and thank God for donors! I have two children with CF, and they are doing very well because of the major advancements in care and medications. Are you on Trikafta?
Thumbs up to my donor.

Glad to hear that your kiddos are doing well. Trikafta has been a savior too many, but I was transplanted before it was readily available. Saline and pulmozyme were part of my daily nebulized solutions just prior to the surgery. Went in at FEV1 of 7% and regularly record 135% today. I am very fortunate and very grateful. BTW, I just turned 63.

That said, I certainly can understand how our guys are struggling with flu issues. Wrestling with CF, I had no idea what I didn’t know until I could actually breathe post transplant.

Love watching the PSU wrestlers cheering and clowning as Barraclough and Cochran pull the upsets. Penn State does have more fun than other programs and it's not JUST because they're so much better and winning is so much easier. ;)

Thumbs up to my donor.

Glad to hear that your kiddos are doing well. Trikafta has been a savior too many, but I was transplanted before it was readily available. Saline and pulmozyme were part of my daily nebulized solutions just prior to the surgery. Went in at FEV1 of 7% and regularly record 135% today. I am very fortunate and very grateful. BTW, I just turned 63.

That said, I certainly can understand how our guys are struggling with flu issues. Wrestling with CF, I had no idea what I didn’t know until I could actually breathe post transplant.
I wish everyone could understand how incredible it is for you to be having a good quality of life at 63- it’s awesome!
Trikafta has been more recent addition for ours (mostly due to a rare combination of mutations) and we are still using saline and pulmozyme (and antibiotics for the younger one because of some struggles), but we anticipate changing the regimen soon with our older child who most people don’t even know has a health challenge.
Sorry for the thread hijack, I just wanted to let you know someone on here knows what you’re going through.
For everyone else: the CF Foundation has literally funded research that has made life possible for many people, so know that donations have and do make a difference!

Last night was such a fun match! As most of you know, I have never wrestled and have learned everything I know about wrestling watching PSU, listening to Byers (whenever possible) and reading this forum. I don’t get worked up when someone loses, I just hope they learn and move on. I figure the coaches will do what is necessary and I’m lucky to be along for the ride. I was a big Jimmy G fan when he wrestled and celebrated his wins and was bummed for him when he lost. Worrying about someone’s style or lack of offense is not in my wheel house so I stick to being a fan. Having said that, watching the “Utah Boys” win last night was what I really love about wrestling. Seeing guys succeed on a stage like that, after spending most of their time just grinding in the room, is about as good as it gets for me!

Your dad was just about the same age as Major Dick Winters who everyone knows from Band of Brothers. I wonder if your dad knew him when they were young.

Full album of my shots here on Flickr. https://www.flickr.com/photos/53031106@N00/albums/72177720314746802/with/53526284038

A few of the better ones below.

1AULIlA.jpg

mKX1d9G.jpg

UAemX6L.jpg

VKFgwtd.jpeg

YWCDKwr.jpeg

O8PIun3.jpeg

6uPfYGS.jpg
Your shots are really great. I was in the 1st row and took a few pics. For me, the act of sighting in almost feels like watching on TV and detracts from the pure enjoyment of simply watching with the naked eye. QUESTION: as a professional, how do you balance the desire to take great photos with the desire to watch the match? . . . or is it simply a choice to take great photos?

I didn’t notice it at the time, but watching the replay on B1G+ right now, Braeden’s SV TD came on a move he did while Peterson was on one knee. Am I missing something, cause that’s kind of big news, right? Figured it out / coached up on it 3 nights later.

I didn’t notice it at the time, but watching the replay on B1G+ right now, Braeden’s SV TD came on a move he did while Peterson was on one knee. Am I missing something, cause that’s kind of big news, right? Figured it out / coached up on it 3 nights later.
I didn’t notice his move, but the official consistently told wrestlers to get up off of their knees. He was very good at communicating to them, I thought.

If my memory is correct (Rarely), I think last night Peterson was kneeling on his left knee while Ayala was always on his right knee.....to try to prevent Davis's favorite side to shoot on. That's what I remember. I should just rewatch both matches but I am 3 deep on a 9.5% IPA....so.....naaah......I'll just wing it :)

Reactions: mcpat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT