ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Rutgers discussion/PBP

I think they were just recognizing the number of times he swiped it from his eyes last night.
That why I said needs a haircut. He seemed to brush the hair away from his eyes more than a dozen times. I was thinking it might be a distraction.

Your shots are really great. I was in the 1st row and took a few pics. For me, the act of sighting in almost feels like watching on TV and detracts from the pure enjoyment of simply watching with the naked eye. QUESTION: as a professional, how do you balance the desire to take great photos with the desire to watch the match? . . . or is it simply a choice to take great photos?
Thanks and that's a good question. I generally get to do both simultaneously because I'm largely trained on the action and I'm sitting closer than anyone. So I see the match through the lens, albeit accompanied by grids and tiny numbers and focus boxes. With or without a camera, I don't watch the match all that differently.

I know what I'm looking for, and because I'm familiar with the sport and the wrestlers (probably more so than 95% of other photographers next to me at a given event, most who don't only cover wrestling), I can anticipate certain moments better.

Sometimes I do miss stuff though, like Truax getting pinned versus Ohio State, because I chose to lock in on the coaches at that precise moment. See below.

At tournaments and especially the NCAAs (and I'll be there again this March) I miss a lot early on because I can only cover one thing at a time and can't really multitask.

JDSO9hs.jpeg

SIAP. Interview with Beau. Whether you love his style or not, I’d suggest enjoy watching him the rest of the season - as he sounds uncommitted to coming back next year.
In this era of NIL........why would anyone divulge their plans when there are many opportunities to secure financial incentives to make you come back. RBY did it. Starocci did it and may do it again. If we have learned anything about Beau, it is that he is smart and media savvy and will/should do what is best for him.

Beau actually sounded like he had other factors in mind he’s weighing. Know he just got engaged this past year. It almost sounded like if he wins a title this year, he prefers to go out in top. Plenty of time for him to change his mind but sounded like a genuine “not sure” response especially with him saying “as a freshman I’d say wrestle every year possible” I think he comes back since I believe free is his future plans but Beau has many talents beyond wrestling and will be successful in whatever he pursues. Its actually insane it would only be his 5th year as well.

Reactions: Fatmarc and Ja1339
Beau actually sounded like he had other factors in mind he’s weighing. Know he just got engaged this past year. It almost sounded like if he wins a title this year, he prefers to go out in top. Plenty of time for him to change his mind but sounded like a genuine “not sure” response especially with him saying “as a freshman I’d say wrestle every year possible” I think he comes back since I believe free is his future plans but Beau has many talents beyond wrestling and will be successful in whatever he pursues. Its actually insane it would only be his 5th year as well.
Pat Tillman famously told his Arizona State coaches when they wanted to shirt him: I'm graduating on time. I have other things to do with my life.

I suspect Beau will return, but he's not most athletes. If he chooses a different goal, or a different path to a similar goal, it shouldn't be too surprising.

Pat Tillman famously told his Arizona State coaches when they wanted to shirt him: I'm graduating on time. I have other things to do with my life.

I suspect Beau will return, but he's not most athletes. If he chooses a different goal, or a different path to a similar goal, it shouldn't be too surprising.
I will definitely support his decision if he chooses to move on.

It makes sense to ride it out at PSU for a few years, reap the rewards of being in that room, and then transfer late in your career with a shot to compete somewhere else if you truly don't have a path to the lineup.

With that said, he's going to look great in black and gold at 157 next year!
Damn. I didn’t know the Steelers were going after Terrell. Take THAT Ben Keuter!

Finally watched the dual last night with the Mrs. She had school board on Monday night. I swear she has cougar crushes on Levi and Mitch. Something about those 2 she enjoys watching. Of course, she loved watching the Utah boys do their thing. As the match started she was logging onto the PSU bookstore looking for some pink and black singlets for the grandkids.

Younger son always competed wearing pink. It was his little trademark thing. From 4-H showing pigs and steers to running cross country to wrestling he had a bit of the hot pink somewhere. A shirt or socks, shoes, headgear, somewhere he had hot pink in the mix. One day at a tournament we were standing near the mat he was going to be on. Behind us we hear some parents talking. "He has the pink kid next. I hate it when he has to wrestle the pink kid. That kid has a nasty cross face. He just is just too rough." Reminds me of Beau's comment about the Utah boys they are just tough hard wrestlers.

Finally watched the dual last night with the Mrs. She had school board on Monday night. I swear she has cougar crushes on Levi and Mitch. Something about those 2 she enjoys watching. Of course, she loved watching the Utah boys do their thing. As the match started she was logging onto the PSU bookstore looking for some pink and black singlets for the grandkids.

Younger son always competed wearing pink. It was his little trademark thing. From 4-H showing pigs and steers to running cross country to wrestling he had a bit of the hot pink somewhere. A shirt or socks, shoes, headgear, somewhere he had hot pink in the mix. One day at a tournament we were standing near the mat he was going to be on. Behind us we hear some parents talking. "He has the pink kid next. I hate it when he has to wrestle the pink kid. That kid has a nasty cross face. He just is just too rough." Reminds me of Beau's comment about the Utah boys they are just tough hard wrestlers.
As long as he doesn't wear pink eye ...

Reactions: Ruby Tues
Is everything you do motivated out of hatred? That sounds like a pretty sad existence.
LOL! Show me all my posts where I’ve talked negatively about Penn St. Or argued with a current wrestlers dad. Or kept posting the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over. Or won’t answer simple questions and respond that the person answering the questions is triggered. Oh wait….I think I just described someone else.

LOL! Show me all my posts where I’ve talked negatively about Penn St. Or argued with a current wrestlers dad. Or kept posting the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over. Or won’t answer simple questions and respond that the person answering the questions is triggered. Oh wait….I think I just described someone else.
When I said I didn't do it out of hatred, you said then why do it, as if you're motivated by hatred alone. It was a simple question. No need for you to get triggered, too. You may need a break from the internet.

When I said I didn't do it out of hatred, you said then why do it, as if you're motivated by hatred alone. It was a simple question. No need for you to get triggered, too. You may need a break from the internet.
You assumed I was motivated by hatred by asking you why you constantly talk shit about Iowa? You didn’t think to just answer the question? Instead you respond with your typical triggered comments. I can’t compete with your outstanding intellect and brilliant comebacks so I guess I will just stop engaging.

You assumed I was motivated by hatred by asking you why you constantly talk shit about Iowa? You didn’t think to just answer the question? Instead you respond with your typical triggered comments. I can’t compete with your outstanding intellect and brilliant comebacks so I guess I will just stop engaging.
You accused me of having an "all encompassing hatred of Iowa". I don't, so I said I don't poke fun of Iowa out of hatred. Your next message asked why do it if it's not hatred, which seems to imply that you don't understand not being motivated by hatred. You keep getting more and more triggered by this. You should really take some time off for your own mental well being.

If you want to know why I poke fun of Iowa, it's just to entertain myself. There's no hatred. I ain't got no time for that. If I find myself hating something, I will disengage from it altogether.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT