ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling FinalX PBP

Rewatched Yianni v Lee II. Looked like the first points could easily have been 4 (instead of 2) for Lee. It wasn’t challenged, but I see initiation by Lee via inside trip.

It sure sounds to me like DT will be ready to retire after 24 Olympics.
Now that Dake and he and are starting some business, Dake might also if he wins gold.
Even if so, will Nolf want to go another 4yrs?
Nolf will only be 32 in 2028. I’d be stunned if he didn’t make one more run at it.

Finally got to watch Yianni-Lee r1. Man is that a tough caution + 1. We saw guys intentionally ground themselves on the edge all day without it and they call it the one time a guy ends up there off his own attack? Too often, it seems referees view the sport through the lens of the rules instead of vice versa. Have to understand what both guys are doing there. Yianni hits a level change duck, Lee stuffs it, they end up in front headlock and there's nowhere for either to go.

With that being said, love my hoosier Nick Lee. Wrestled his ass off and is always fun to watch. Medalling at 65 is too much to expect (there's a reason we're 1/16 since 2006), but here's hoping. You always need to be at your best and a little luck at that weight.
Sorry, but wrong on both counts. Please rewatch. Yianni's right foot is in the zone when he grounds himself, NL has a left underhook and wrist. OOB from here should result in +1 NL. If Yianni grounds outside the zone, yes, no harm no foul, but Yianni is clearly within the zone when he grounds himself.

As for the caution +1, NL circles to the right, and Yianni shuffles on his knees to counter, taking himself OOB - not being physically forced OOB by his opponent - this is a caution all day, every day in freestyle. There is not much subjectivity in the action that happened, only in your interpretation of the rules. The problem is it is different than fleeing in folkstyle - in freestyle they are not looking at "wrestling action" to determine if you can leave the mat.

These are the interpretations that I've been watching be enforced pretty consistently. I'm sure you can see some bitchin' on here about caution and ones in the open that didn't go this board's way...but the fact of the matter is that not many people on here or elsewhere pay much attention to freestyle rules interpretations.

Last edited:
From a recent post of mine: Recent Flo interview with Aaron regarding his upcoming matches against David. His talk about his weight caught my attention. He mentioned his walking around weight is in the 203 range and how he will never wrestle 184 again. He said he has grown a lot lately. For all the talk of how, relatively speaking, Penn State wrestlers cut less weight than others, I am still surprised how much weight many wrestlers still cut. I did not realize Aaron cut that much. I definitely noticed more muscle on Aaron this year.

I think AB is going to tear the hell out of 97..

Perhaps an unpopular position :

Nolf probably my favorite PSU wrestler of all-time but can’t help but be disappointed with that effort.

I know Dake is an all-time great, but you’ve trained for over a year, just for him, and you’re gonna lose 2 straight without even scoring a point? Rather you get tech’d going for it — just do something.Let
Jason is young and has vanquished everyone under in the US. Dake is up there with the GOATs. The biggest thing that surprised me was the obvious strenght differential between Dake and Jason. I felt like I was watching Levi v O'Connor in the NCAA finals where you the saw the difference between a young guy going up against a guy with full man strength. Dake just over powered him in some moves. That is on Jason. No excuse for letting Kyle be stronger than you! He needs to live in the weight room over the next year.

This is where Bo should of helped his boy out! Jason should have been able to tag out and BO whips off his stuff and has his singlet on and gets to go in against Dake!
Let's go Kid Dynamite everyone know that pure Nickal will diffuse nitro-glycerin all the time!! Man, what I would pay for Bo to face Dake! Someone that is as good or better athlete than Dake and can bring the Funk like no one else! One can only dream!

Jason is young and has vanquished everyone under in the US. Dake is up there with the GOATs. The biggest thing that surprised me was the obvious strenght differential between Dake and Jason. I felt like I was watching Levi v O'Connor in the NCAA finals where you the saw the difference between a young guy going up against a guy with full man strength. Dake just over powered him in some moves. That is on Jason. No excuse for letting Kyle be stronger than you! He needs to live in the weight room over the next year.

This is where Bo should of helped his boy out! Jason should have been able to tag out and BO whips off his stuff and has his singlet on and gets to go in against Dake!
Let's go Kid Dynamite everyone know that pure Nickal will diffuse nitro-glycerin all the time!! Man, what I would pay for Bo to face Dake! Someone that is as good or better athlete than Dake and can bring the Funk like no one else! One can only dream!
NOLF NEEDS TO HIT THE WEIGHTS, HARD!!!

—— Spyker

Two personal ‘nevers.’ Never a shock to lose to Dake, and I’ll never believe DT jumped weights to avoid him. DT’s frame and build allowed for the natural addition of muscle, and our world team has been exponentially better for it. Nolf is a different build, and currently snakebit. He appears to be at his most natural weight for optimal performance. But so is the Great Wall of Ithaca (props to whoever coined that tag), who I see staying active at least through the 28 Oly’s. Only Nolf knows his weight path, but if it parallels Dake’s, I’ll float this: For the remainder of Dake’s career, the only US wrestler with a chance to knock him off the world team at 74kg will be a stronger Nolf. A personal wish is for Dake to return to 79kg after the Olympics, just to see him against another defensive wall of granite: Marsteller

Two personal ‘nevers.’ Never a shock to lose to Dake, and I’ll never believe DT jumped weights to avoid him. DT’s frame and build allowed for the natural addition of muscle, and our world team has been exponentially better for it. Nolf is a different build, and currently snakebit. He appears to be at his most natural weight for optimal performance. But so is the Great Wall of Ithaca (props to whoever coined that tag), who I see staying active at least through the 28 Oly’s. Only Nolf knows his weight path, but if it parallels Dake’s, I’ll float this: For the remainder of Dake’s career, the only US wrestler with a chance to knock him off the world team at 74kg will be a stronger Nolf. A personal wish is for Dake to return to 79kg after the Olympics, just to see him against another defensive wall of granite: Marsteller
David had no answer for Dake,Burroughs OR Cox, no one benefitted more than David Taylor and team USA when the UWW added 2 weights.

Dake too 79 would be awesome for USAW and dont see Marstellar stopping him. There is a big difference between beating a “slowed down” JB and ”still in his prime” Kyle Dake.

David had no answer for Dake,Burroughs OR Cox, no one benefitted more than David Taylor and team USA when the UWW added 2 weights.

Dake too 79 would be awesome for USAW and dont see Marstellar stopping him. There is a big difference between beating a “slowed down” JB and ”still in his prime” Kyle Dake.
Don’t think it’s fair or factual to say he had nothing for Cox. Their 2/3 series was insanely close. And he had a number of super close matches with Burroughs while he was still just a pup.

Didn't realize they added 2 weights, but glad they did. I think your "big difference" is spot-on, but I'd still like to see Dake/Chance . . . AND free up Nolf for 74kg.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Don’t think it’s fair or factual to say he had nothing for Cox. Their 2/3 series was insanely close. And he had a number of super close matches with Burroughs while he was still just a pup.
No one benefitted more than DT, will you at least gimme that??

David had no answer for a profusely sweating hovercraft like Cox sliding backwards from center off the mat without penalty leaving behind two sweat trails from his knees. Whatching it, I had no answer for the officiating either.

Rewatched Yianni v Lee II. Looked like the first points could easily have been 4 (instead of 2) for Lee. It wasn’t challenged, but I see initiation by Lee via inside trip.
Yeah, it's not really even debatable. That came off such a great exchange. Yianni wrestled great in both matches, I thought. Nick had answers for almost all of it, including on positions where I've never seen Yianni not score. Some amazing cross-faces and hips by Nick throughout both matches.

Yeah, it's not really even debatable. That came off such a great exchange. Yianni wrestled great in both matches, I thought. Nick had answers for almost all of it, including on positions where I've never seen Yianni not score. Some amazing cross-faces and hips by Nick throughout both matches.
It's such a remarkable development. If you think of where these two wrestlers were when they were freshman the accomplishment by Nick Lee is hard to put into words. He has worked his way into being a an unbeatable wrestler in the midst of some of the toughest competition on the planet. This is the match that made me a believer.

It's such a remarkable development. If you think of where these two wrestlers were when they were freshman the accomplishment by Nick Lee is hard to put into words. He has worked his way into being a an unbeatable wrestler in the midst of some of the toughest competition on the planet. This is the match that made me a believer.
Cocky Joey got taught a lesson that night. Was that the dual with Nickal sticking Moore in the 1st?

"It's over" called with 19 seconds remaining in the match. It was obvious McKenna gassed and was not escaping. Victory Lee - LOVE IT!

may have been in the last second when he turned him!what do you expect from freestyle but we will take it!
Yeah I thought it was the very last second turn that was past 90. It was definitely close for sure.

Sorry, but wrong on both counts. Please rewatch. Yianni's right foot is in the zone when he grounds himself, NL has a left underhook and wrist. OOB from here should result in +1 NL. If Yianni grounds outside the zone, yes, no harm no foul, but Yianni is clearly within the zone when he grounds himself.

As for the caution +1, NL circles to the right, and Yianni shuffles on his knees to counter, taking himself OOB - not being physically forced OOB by his opponent - this is a caution all day, every day in freestyle. There is not much subjectivity in the action that happened, only in your interpretation of the rules. The problem is it is different than fleeing in folkstyle - in freestyle they are not looking at "wrestling action" to determine if you can leave the mat.

These are the interpretations that I've been watching be enforced pretty consistently. I'm sure you can see some bitchin' on here about caution and ones in the open that didn't go this board's way...but the fact of the matter is that not many people on here or elsewhere pay much attention to freestyle rules interpretations.
Here's the problem and where you miss the broader point. Yianni didn't "ground himself." He hit a duck under and got stuffed.

And you're out of your mind if you think that's been officiated consistently. Could probably find 10+ sequences where it wasn't called just in this event.

Obviously nothing is official (this early lol) but few people who has ties to the team/NLWC have told me they wouldn't remotely be shocked if Dake is the "Casey" for DT after Cael inevitably calls it a day and DT likely takes over. Before people joke about DT being his boss despite always losing to him, keep in mind, all reports are Cael has Casey paid like a top HC (especially when you factor in NLWC salary through donations). Handling egos is the staple of PSU's culture and Cael couldn't handle Casey any better between constantly crediting him and letting him run his weight divisions with Cael completely hands off. A job that pays like a head coach without the administrative headaches of being a HC has to be appealing to anyone.

Bottom line, PSU is DT's territory so I mean Dake isn't going to be his boss if the long-term goal is coaching at PSU. DT and Dake obviously have a very close relationship and work well together (Dake moving here from Ithaca and also running businesses with him)

Reactions: RandyL
Obviously nothing is official (this early lol) but few people who has ties to the team/NLWC have told me they wouldn't remotely be shocked if Dake is the "Casey" for DT after Cael inevitably calls it a day and DT likely takes over. Before people joke about DT being his boss despite always losing to him, keep in mind, all reports are Cael has Casey paid like a top HC (especially when you factor in NLWC salary through donations). Handling egos is the staple of PSU's culture and Cael couldn't handle Casey any better between constantly crediting him and letting him run his weight divisions with Cael completely hands off. A job that pays like a head coach without the administrative headaches of being a HC has to be appealing to anyone.

Bottom line, PSU is DT's territory so I mean Dake isn't going to be his boss if the long-term goal is coaching at PSU. DT and Dake obviously have a very close relationship and work well together (Dake moving here from Ithaca and also running businesses with him)
I don’t see Cael stepping down until he has broken Gables record for National title teams. After that it’s hard to say. Right now it seems he has just entered a new stage of being the best ever at all things related to wrestling 😊

Dake & DT will each be head coaches someday. I don't see either being an assistant for the other, this has the makings of a bad mix.

If Cael is given some authority over his succession plan (questionable), we would likely see that successor hired on as an young assistant within the next 5-10 years. I don't think DTs timeline aligns with when Cael would step down. There is a good chance DT retires after this Olympic cycle IMO, and I bet he gets a lead gig within 1-3 years. Granted no coaching slot is protected against an invite to coach at PSU.

To be perfectly honest, there are times when I question DT as an ideal candidate in the Cael system. He has been through the gratitude first model and has retained many of those teachings in his own. However he is certainly far less humble than Cael at times. He can puff up his own chest at times unnecessarily given his long list of accomplishments. A small thing but I thought his statement after being injured and off the world team was ill advised and poor form "Downey, shoot your shot. Moments like this don't get gifted to you often".

I believe Dake is a multi-level thinker and one part of why he is in the NLWC today is to sponge off the system for his future coaching aspirations as much as to train in the best room for his free career.

One thing is certain when Cael and his crew all decide to step down it will be the most coveted yet difficult job in the country. Assuming Cael stays long enough to beat Gable's record, there maybe be a pretty lengthy list of young PSU alum 2, 3, 4xers waiting in the wings. DT, Mark Hall, Zain, Nick, Jason, Aaron, ...... future studs, maybe some like JB who will be a great coach. A leading candidate may likely come from who Cael hires as an assistant more realistically within the next 4-5 years.

Last edited:

I’ve heard this as well. Imagine both those guys teaching mat wrestling together. Okay - practice for you isn’t over until you get out from Coach Kyle’s ride - see you in 2048

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT