ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Rutgers discussion/PBP

Who ya got in the Rutgers dual?
aw come on mods, let me have at least a little fun with my thread titles...i mean, any good marketer knows that when people aren't paying attention to something, you have to draw them in...

will they even show up??
They still don't have a thread for the match on the Knight Report, so the fanbase might be pretending it's not happening/never happened. One poster suggested tanking and bringing this lineup:

Honestly I know Goodale has an approach of balls to the wall in Duals but I wouldnt send out anyone not 100% heathy or has nothing to gain. I would send a lineup of something like:

Chletsos, Peterson only if healthy
Shawver
Moore
Cetta
Weaver assuming Butler cant go
Gayer
Turley only if ok.
Soldano
Colucci - Id give Poz a break
O’Donnell - Yara is not beating Kerk and also could use a break.

Reactions: pish69 and danoftw
As a season ticket holder for Rutgers wrestling (45 minute drive, cheap seats on matside riser, good friend a big RU wrestling fan - don’t judge, I get to see PSU wrestle every other year in-person), I can say that RU has some talented wrestlers, but none that would start for us. I doubt we’ll see a shutout, only because I question whether Coach Sanderson will put our starting 10 on the mat Monday night. RU is potential 6th-8th low AA at 133, 184, and 285. More likely round of 12 for them and perhaps 125 and 197.

they struggle from neutral for the most part, but are tough kids that scrap. Might be time to let some back-ups go at weight classes where 2 weigh-ins in 3 days would be an issue.

They still don't have a thread for the match on the Knight Report, so the fanbase might be pretending it's not happening/never happened. One poster suggested tanking and bringing this lineup:

Honestly I know Goodale has an approach of balls to the wall in Duals but I wouldnt send out anyone not 100% heathy or has nothing to gain. I would send a lineup of something like:

Chletsos, Peterson only if healthy
Shawver
Moore
Cetta
Weaver assuming Butler cant go
Gayer
Turley only if ok.
Soldano
Colucci - Id give Poz a break
O’Donnell - Yara is not beating Kerk and also could use a break.
With Rutgers being my 2nd team I root for..I was embarrased by this post. I replied to them over there..it's like banging my head against the wall.

Basically my point was..if RU not going to send your best guys to get a chance to up their rankings..what the hell are they in the sport for?

Really shitty attitude by some of these RU fans on their forum

As a season ticket holder for Rutgers wrestling (45 minute drive, cheap seats on matside riser, good friend a big RU wrestling fan - don’t judge, I get to see PSU wrestle every other year in-person), I can say that RU has some talented wrestlers, but none that would start for us. I doubt we’ll see a shutout, only because I question whether Coach Sanderson will put our starting 10 on the mat Monday night. RU is potential 6th-8th low AA at 133, 184, and 285. More likely round of 12 for them and perhaps 125 and 197.

they struggle from neutral for the most part, but are tough kids that scrap. Might be time to let some back-ups go at weight classes where 2 weigh-ins in 3 days would be an issue.
It's possible Cael doesn't send out the entire first team.. but with the BJC dual already being against a less than appealing foe and on a Monday night, it might benefit the perception to at least wrestle the starting 10 to give the fans in attendance the best showing they can..

It's possible Cael doesn't send out the entire first team.. but with the BJC dual already being against a less than appealing foe and on a Monday night, it might benefit the perception to at least wrestle the starting 10 to give the fans in attendance the best showing they can..
Certainly - I agree, unless one/some of our starters would have an issue weighing in twice in 3 days - maybe rest him/them if that is in fact an issue.

Who ya got in the Rutgers dual?
oXg-j5.gif

If this match was on Monday night in REC hall would we have near 100% attendance? I think not.
The issue isn't the opponent or the venue, it's the day of the week. Better scheduling to work around basketball or other events should have taken place to get this match on a Friday Night or Sunday Afternoon. JMO but this should be the one instance where we "paper" the building. Free admission to all students. Might as well target the one group that can get to the venue with minimal complications on a Monday Night so that we can have some atmosphere.

I actually think Cael might have everyone make weight but still put a couple of backups in if warranted. I would think he would talk to some seniors about their thoughts of going in BJC one last time . The weight cut gets them ready for post season and they have had odd schedule this year.

The issue isn't the opponent or the venue, it's the day of the week. Better scheduling to work around basketball or other events should have taken place to get this match on a Friday Night or Sunday Afternoon. JMO but this should be the one instance where we "paper" the building. Free admission to all students. Might as well target the one group that can get to the venue with minimal complications on a Monday Night so that we can have some atmosphere.
Just an FYI, but student tickets are always free to wrestling, I believe—just very limited supply at Rec.

Soup Bowl

What is the estimate for attendance tomorrow night. Really odd they did it on Monday. I would hope Penn State offered a lot of opportunities for youth and high school programs to attend if ticket sales were down.

What is the estimate for attendance tomorrow night. Really odd they did it on Monday. I would hope Penn State offered a lot of opportunities for youth and high school programs to attend if ticket sales were down.
What % of “casual wrestling fans” would show up in BJC on Super Bowl Sunday. Would have been better to just run at REC on Sunday where the long faithful wrestling fans don’t give more than a passing thought to missing a 3 1/3 hour football game.

Or else the music will be so loud our ears will bleed 🤣

Casey wrote in his email in October:
With the delay in getting our schedule it becomes difficult for us to get the Bryce Jordan Center reserved for our annual match over there before other events get scheduled. This year because of other events in the Bryce Jordan Center it was tough to find a date that worked but because we were scheduled for a Monday night Big Dual, we were able to keep the tradition of having at least one match at the Bryce Jordan again. We like to have a match over there every year as it gives people that would not normally have an opportunity to watch this team a chance to do just that.

Cael also said in an early year presser that they were disappointed to have to do this, but it's what the schedule allowed.

If there was ever a moment to rest Carter
I'd be surprised if there isn't a bit of a letdown after Friday's big win because 1) it seems to occur more frequently in the second dual in a weekend (or 3 days in this case), 2) it could be hard to maintain the same level of intensity for Rutgers that was evident vs. Iowa, and 3) it's Monday.

I did a rough count of 1/2 of the BJC. Seems like 500 or so seats available in the lower bowl and about 1500 in the upper bowl. Assuming that 1/2 is roughly the same as the other, and allowing for 1000 fudge, about 5000 seats remaining unsold.

I used to be a Rutgers season ticket holder and go far enough back that I attended the first RAC dual with Lehigh. But the combination of the program stagnating or getting worse for nearly 10 seasons now (the 2015-16 season was the peak - last times {Cornell and Nebby} Rutgers beat a legit top 10 team and its best performance [by a long, long shot] at B1Gs) combined with Goodale's incessant hype and the fanbase buying it, had me stop.

Not only that, but the wrestling style is so hopelessly boring. Went to the VT match this season and I don't think Rutgers had a single takedown in the first half of the meet.

I'm much happier driving 3 hours each way to see great wrestling.

Reactions: Callthestall
Should be a good test for Davis. Peterson was R12 last year and has wrestled some close matches with Ramos and DeAugustino. A winnable match but not a given by any means.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT