ADVERTISEMENT

Finally cutting the cord..

You do not need anywhere near the bandwidth you are paying for. I have cable Internet and their default service is advertised at 200 Mb/sec but I consistently get 240. Streaming on 3 different TVs and concurrent Internet browsing is no problem at all. If you do have a problem doing that, it is not because the service coming into your house isn't as fast as you currently have.

I think cord cutters upgrading their Internet speed is the great lie everyone believes instead of just trying what it's like with regular Internet service. I have 4k TVs and use Rokus on all of them and I do not get why people upgrade their Internet speed when they cut the cord. You just don't need it.

I'm not saying the experience everyone will have will be like mine, but it would be very hard to convince me that you need such fast Internet coming into your house. And unless you have a gigabit wireless router it's pointless, unless you use Ethernet ports all over your house.
My wife and I have 3 kids and both work from home in IT. I want the additional bandwidth as we can have up to 20 devices connected at one time.

My wife and I have 3 kids and both work from home in IT. I want the additional bandwidth as we can have up to 20 devices connected at one time.
Similar to my situation. But do you know if you actually need the extra bandwidth? That's what I'm saying. If you tried regular service and it didn't work then fine, if extra bandwidth solves the problem. ISPs will let you upgrade your plan at any time so to not at least try it seems crazy to me.

Similar to my situation. But do you know if you actually need the extra bandwidth? That's what I'm saying. If you tried regular service and it didn't work then fine, if extra bandwidth solves the problem. ISPs will let you upgrade your plan at any time so to not at least try it seems crazy to me.
Yes I actually do need it and cannot stand buffering which rarely occurs in my house. I also installed a mesh network as my upstairs was lacking a strong enough signal. I stream 4 phones, 3-5 TV’s, X box, laptops, Alexa....etc. I can dial up bandwidth on weekend in particular as I take my kids phones Sunday night through Friday afternoon. Appreciate you looking out but I’m good there.

Reactions: PS4814
I use AT&T as my internet service provider. YouTube TV is what I use to replace DirectTV. I bought 2 ROKU sticks for my Samsung’s and several TCL TV’s as I also stream outside in my lanai and sometimes in my garage.
I really am just curious what you are paying for Internet. I can’t get Comcast any cheaper tha $89. Add in a streaming service like YouTube and it still comes out to $140. Enlighten how people are saving money. Thanks. Also, I should add that I have Xfinity Mobile and pay only $3.80 a month for everything and you have to have Comcast to get Xfinity Mobile. Tough to give up that savings.

I really am just curious what you are paying for Internet. I can’t get Comcast any cheaper tha $89. Add in a streaming service like YouTube and it still comes out to $140. Enlighten how people are saving money. Thanks. Also, I should add that I have Xfinity Mobile and pay only $3.80 a month for everything and you have to have Comcast to get Xfinity Mobile. Tough to give up that savings.
I was paying 50 already for my internet when I had DirectTV. So that was 200 there. Now I pay 80 for AT&T as my ISP and 50 for YouTube TV. So that is 70 dollars less a month. Prices will vary by provider and region, but hopefully you can see the savings. I got tired of dealing with the price hikes and paying for boxes and BS services. I haven’t looked back once since I did this about 2-3 years ago now.

“My internet is too fast,” said no one ever.
images

I was paying 50 already for my internet when I had DirectTV. So that was 200 there. Now I pay 80 for AT&T as my ISP and 50 for YouTube TV. So that is 70 dollars less a month. Prices will vary by provider and region, but hopefully you can see the savings. I got tired of dealing with the price hikes and paying for boxes and BS services. I haven’t looked back once since I did this about 2-3 years ago now.
You only need one box for cable service. You can use their app for your other TVs so you have a direct cable connection to one box/TV and then stream to all your other TVs (via Roku or anything else that can run apps). I did this before I cut cable out completely and it worked fine. But it was still cheaper to cut cable out altogether.

If you had DirecTV I don't know how that works. Seems to me they have always been a lot more restrictive. IIRC you can use an app to stream it but only on 'devices' and not TVs. Just means they want to require boxes for multiple TVs instead of just allowing you to stream on a TV with an app.

You only need one box for cable service. You can use their app for your other TVs so you have a direct cable connection to one box/TV and then stream to all your other TVs (via Roku or anything else that can run apps). I did this before I cut cable out completely and it worked fine. But it was still cheaper to cut cable out altogether.

If you had DirecTV I don't know how that works. Seems to me they have always been a lot more restrictive. IIRC you can use an app to stream it but only on 'devices' and not TVs. Just means they want to require boxes for multiple TVs instead of just allowing you to stream on a TV with an app.
Even DirectTV offered streaming when I switched but it was too late for me. I’m setup just fine.

It seems like the built-in smart tv interfaces are not consistently updated so I just went roku on each tv. That works much better for me.
Yes. Ironically, Smart TVs are dumb. You are much better off getting a dedicated device for streaming because the apps will be kept up-to-date much longer, if not 'forever'. I'm sure old devices that Roku et al produce will not be updated forever but it will be much longer before they are unsupported. From what I've read about apps on smart TVs, they are pretty much all one-offs so you can understand why they are not updated past a couple years after you bought the TV.

You're even better off using apps on something like a blu ray player because even if they eventually go unsupported you are much more likely to buy a new BD player than a new TV over time.

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
Even DirectTV offered streaming when I switched but it was too late for me. I’m setup just fine.
They offer streaming but as I recall, and like I said before, only to 'devices' not named TVs. If you want to watch DirecTV on more than one TV in your house, they required a box for each one. They may have changed that since I last looked, it has been awhile since I looked that up.

That policy alone would make me leave DirecTV.

Yes. Ironically, Smart TVs are dumb. You are much better off getting a dedicated device for streaming because the apps will be kept up-to-date much longer, if not 'forever'. I'm sure old devices that Roku et al produce will not be updated forever but it will be much longer before they are unsupported. From what I've read about apps on smart TVs, they are pretty much all one-offs so you can understand why they are not updated past a couple years after you bought the TV.

You're even better off using apps on something like a blu ray player because even if they eventually go unsupported you are much more likely to buy a new BD player than a new TV over time.
no way ... people still buy blue ray players? why? .... and in the future, I doubt it (last blueray player I bought was 6-7 years ago, since then I have bought 3 TV's)

They offer streaming but as I recall, and like I said before, only to 'devices' not named TVs. If you want to watch DirecTV on more than one TV in your house, they required a box for each one. They may have changed that since I last looked, it has been awhile since I looked that up.

I'm not sure you followed along this thread or what I have said. Thanks for the heads up on the company I left for the reasons I left.

Reactions: PS4814
I can't get on board yet with cutting the cord as there is always something missing. Youtube TV doesn't have the History Channel, A&E, ATT Sportsnet, Brave, that either the wife or I watch? It's easier just sticking with Dish and calling up every year to get our price down under $100. By the time I get everything I want with a streaming service, I'm well over the $50 anyways. Its got a good interface and whole house DVR, so I can't complain. Plus the picture quality is better- I have a 4K receiver on my big TV which is nice.

With an Amazon Fire Stick, you can pretty much get the price down more, by using one receiver, and use Dish Anywhere streamed to other TVs.
Same issue here. I watch a lot of South Park and YTTV doesn't have Comedy Central, nor do some of the other streaming services. I also watch NFL Network and Redzone and those can also be tough to find. For now I'm sticking with cable but am researching my options, I just might have to pay for more than one service to get what I'm looking for and then it becomes a pricing game.

I'm not sure you followed along this thread or what I have said. Thanks for the heads up on the company I left for the reasons I left.
Wow. You think *I* didn't follow it? You're hilarious. It's your right to pay too much for something, congratulations on exercising it. Unbelievable.

no way ... people still buy blue ray players? why? .... and in the future, I doubt it (last blueray player I bought was 6-7 years ago, since then I have bought 3 TV's)
You guys are simply hilarious. Carry one, keep paying the man.

Same issue here. I watch a lot of South Park and YTTV doesn't have Comedy Central, nor do some of the other streaming services. I also watch NFL Network and Redzone and those can also be tough to find. For now I'm sticking with cable but am researching my options, I just might have to pay for more than one service to get what I'm looking for and then it becomes a pricing game.

Sharing this as an fyi since you brought up south park:

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/south-park-stream-exclusively-hbo-max-1203387212/

"Comedy Central’s “South Park” will have a new home online as of June 2020. HBO Max, the WarnerMedia-backed direct-to-consumer service that debuts in May, has won the battle for exclusive streaming rights in the U.S. to Trey Parker and Matt Stone’s animated satire, which is currently hosted on Disney-owned Hulu. South Park Digital Studios, a joint venture between Viacom, Parker and Stone, inked the multi-year licensing deal, which covers all 23 seasons plus three new seasons, which will appear on HBO Max 24 hours after the episode first airs on Viacom’s Comedy Central."

So after June 2020 what you could conceivably do is go with YTTV, then pick up HBO Max for $15 and watch the new season of SP whenever it airs then drop HBO Max afterward. Just tossing it out there.

Reactions: PSUSignore
What Valentino says. Think of it as your computer. When you're home, your web connection is going to be more reliable if you have the network cable plugged in vs. using the wireless connection. Your TV isn't going anywhere either.

Hard wire as many devices as you can. This isn't always possible in older homes that lack Ethernet cabling though. If you don't have whole home cabling, get yourself a tri-band mesh Wifi system. If you can afford a system that is Wifi-6 compliant, you won't be losing any speed by missing out on hard wired connections.

Sharing this as an fyi since you brought up south park:

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/south-park-stream-exclusively-hbo-max-1203387212/

"Comedy Central’s “South Park” will have a new home online as of June 2020. HBO Max, the WarnerMedia-backed direct-to-consumer service that debuts in May, has won the battle for exclusive streaming rights in the U.S. to Trey Parker and Matt Stone’s animated satire, which is currently hosted on Disney-owned Hulu. South Park Digital Studios, a joint venture between Viacom, Parker and Stone, inked the multi-year licensing deal, which covers all 23 seasons plus three new seasons, which will appear on HBO Max 24 hours after the episode first airs on Viacom’s Comedy Central."

So after June 2020 what you could conceivably do is go with YTTV, then pick up HBO Max for $15 and watch the new season of SP whenever it airs then drop HBO Max afterward. Just tossing it out there.

Will episodes still appear on South Park Studios?

I just switched to Verizon for $39.99 per month for internet, no strings attached. Add yttv at $50 per month and I am saving a lot of money

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Not sure if you’re just stupid or you’re actively trying to be an A-hole. Either way I don’t care. You haven’t helped anyone in this thread.
Astonishing how clueless you and others are. And if you didn't care, you wouldn't reply. Do whatever you want, I don't care. I don't know why you participate in a message board when you have your mind made up and you don't want to hear anything that doesn't agree with your own opinion not based on facts. So you turn it into some argumentative thing. You're pitiful.

Astonishing how clueless you and others are. And if you didn't care, you wouldn't reply. Do whatever you want, I don't care. I don't know why you participate in a message board when you have your mind made up and you don't want to hear anything that doesn't agree with your own opinion not based on facts. So you turn it into some argumentative thing. You're pitiful.
I don't think it's me and others....it seems like it is just you. Well I guess it was a bit of both to my other question for you. I cut the cord years ago....so yeah my mind is made up and I know what I need for bandwidth. Somehow you think I was asking you for advice somewhere along the way.....I wasn't.

I don't think it's me and others....it seems like it is just you. Well I guess it was a bit of both to my other question for you. I cut the cord years ago....so yeah my mind is made up and I know what I need for bandwidth. Somehow you think I was asking you for advice somewhere along the way.....I wasn't.
Dude, I was trying to help. The initial response was related to paying for higher speed Internet and if you actually need it. As usual, it's not even worth trying to help people because they already have their mind made up and don't want any advice that is opposed to their uninformed opinion, based on what was posted here. Lesson learned, I won't try to interject any help on this board when people don't even want to consider something that has some factual basis yet contradicts their own opinion.

And Jesus, you really made a big leap there "I was asking your advice".

Will episodes still appear on South Park Studios?

Honestly have no 100% certain answer to that because I don’t know who owns the rights on that, but my guess is that if the site has existed while Hulu has owned the rights that HBO just bought then it’s likely the site will still have the episodes.

Not sure if you’re just stupid or you’re actively trying to be an A-hole. Either way I don’t care. You haven’t helped anyone in this thread.
Curious exactly how YOU have have helped in this thread.

Asshole.

Curious exactly how YOU have have helped in this thread.

Asshole.

My original response to the original post.

Roku stick is probably the easiest.

Then in response to what I was paying.

I was paying $150 a month with DirectTV when I left them and went to YouTube TV for $43 a month 2 years ago which is now $50. I bumped up my bandwidth to 1gb since I would be streaming for everything and work from home so that was $30 more on my ISP bill. I still end up walking out $70 a month ahead of where I was at and don't miss a thing.

Now the guide is clunky, but I think I am the only member in my house that actually watches TV and that is mostly for sports. My kids NEVER and I mean NEVER turn on YouTube TV. That generation only cares about YouTube, Netflix, and Prime for the most part. One additional cost to me is $99 for the MLB pass which was still way more under DirectTV. I don't get every single game, but I get every single Yankee game which is all I really care about. I have never missed a single PSU game and I can catch NFL games streamed pretty easily if you know where to look.

Now you can stop replying to me. Thanks and have a wonderful day snowflake.

I had PlayStation Vue until they ended the service a few weeks ago. Switched to YouTube tv and frankly think the YouTubetv interface is better.

I have a few relatively cheap TCL smart tv’s in bedrooms. I actually really like them. The Roku works extremely well. I have a OLED in the main room and have a roku stick. I freaking hate the roku stick. I get all sorts of errors with it. I’d say every few times i turn the rev on i get an error. Talked to roku and they told me it was an interference issue and sent me an extended for the hdmi. I was skeptical that it would work and i was right. It didn’t. I’m debating getting a different steaming device for the main tv, but haven’t pulled trigger yet.
On another subject, how do you like your OLED? Every time I walk into a store and see one, I feel like I can just stick my hand in the monitor and grab whatever is there.

My original response to the original post.

Then in response to what I was paying.

Now you can stop replying to me. Thanks and have a wonderful day snowflake.
You're such a dick. Snowflake. You don't have any friends, do you? You think everything you think is just right, just truth, and nothing anyone else says says has any merit. Nothing anyone else says can possibly true if it doesn't agree with an asshole like you. What a miserable existence you have.

Last edited:
You're such a dick. Snowflake. You don't have any friends, do you? You think everything you think is just right, just truth, and nothing anyone else says says has any merit. Nothing anyone else says can possibly true if it doesn't agree with an asshole like you. What a miserable existence you have.
temper, temper snowflake. Hugs and kisses to you!!!! You’re an angry little troll. :D

ExcitableImmaterialDipper-small.gif

Last edited:
I am stuck at around $135 with free Showtime. As I said, Xfinity Mobile is basically free since I pay only the taxes.

I am stuck at around $135 with free Showtime. As I said, Xfinity Mobile is basically free since I pay only the taxes.
I wouldn't bail then if i were you if you're satisfied with Xfinitiy and that includes your Internet service. I got tired of going back to Direct TV and haggling with them every year as they just bump it up $20-$30 after their "deal" runs out. Then you had to threaten to leave to get a deal. The only reason I was with DirectTV to be honest was for sports and YouTubeTV has me covered there. I watch more stuff on NetFlix, YouTube, and Amazon than regular TV when I'm not watching sports.

I hear you. I research it every year when the time comes up to re-negotiate. Probably some day, but not yet.

Anyone with YouTubeTV know if there is a way to pick up where you left off on a recorded program? I could not find a way, but maybe I missed something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT