ADVERTISEMENT

Finally cutting the cord..

sigchip_a_yahoo.com

Aug 7, 2008
Getting YouTube TV, question is what is the best device for streaming or should I just use my smart TV app for YouTube TV? I have a Samsung.

I've been streaming through my Samsung TV app for YouTube TV since Christmas. Works just fine IMO. If you don't like it you can always add Roku or similar later on.

I connected my smart TV directly to my router with a CAT 6 cable. There is probably no better connection than that.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
I have Hulu TV and access through the app on my smart TV. Works like a charm. We have another roku enabled TV. The roku interface is a bit easier to navigate but both options work perfectly well.

As with the other 10,000 threads posted about this same topic.....relying on a Smart TV to use any app, for any reason, is a double-edged sword. Smart TVs, IMO, are worthless because they're last to get any updates, can flat out not have certain apps due to corporate pissing matches, etc.

As with the other 10,000 threads posted about this same topic.....relying on a Smart TV to use any app, for any reason, is a double-edged sword. Smart TVs, IMO, are worthless because they're last to get any updates, can flat out not have certain apps due to corporate pissing matches, etc.
Kind of what I heard

So slight OT, but I could use some perspective from the group. I have a samsung 700UHD smart TV and for the most part I have been happy. I also have amazon Fire box to run netflix/youtubetv through(I know redundant, the TV came with those apps as well. The picture quality is good/great for watching almost any programming on TV, especially DVR and Netflix shows. However, sports, on most of the channels just does not look good. Close up shots of players etc, always look fine, but when it shifts to cameras far away, whether basketball or football, the picture is just not crisp. My wireless signal is "very good" and it doesn't matter if I am watching youtube TV through Amazon or directly from the smart TV. any feedback would be super appreciated. Do I need a better router? Are sports harder to broadcast on streaming services?

Getting YouTube TV, question is what is the best device for streaming or should I just use my smart TV app for YouTube TV? I have a Samsung.

If it works through your TV, there is no issue doing that. FWIW, what I have found is that smart TVs are limited. My LG wouldn't allow apps to be added, and after about 4 years, Hulu dropped support for my TV. Same thing happened to a Panasonic plasma I own. If that happens to you, just add a Roku or fire stick. Personally, I'm a fan of Roku, and I love the Roku TV I have. Roku is the OS and it's a great interface. Everything is an app tile, including DVD players, antenna, etc. No switching between inputs. I'll also add that Roku has some other free streaming apps that you might find interesting. There are literally hundreds of free and paid apps to choose from.

So slight OT, but I could use some perspective from the group. I have a samsung 700UHD smart TV and for the most part I have been happy. I also have amazon Fire box to run netflix/youtubetv through(I know redundant, the TV came with those apps as well. The picture quality is good/great for watching almost any programming on TV, especially DVR and Netflix shows. However, sports, on most of the channels just does not look good. Close up shots of players etc, always look fine, but when it shifts to cameras far away, whether basketball or football, the picture is just not crisp. My wireless signal is "very good" and it doesn't matter if I am watching youtube TV through Amazon or directly from the smart TV. any feedback would be super appreciated. Do I need a better router? Are sports harder to broadcast on streaming services?
Here's a link that may explain your problem

LINK: https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Set-...ing-sports-programmes-either-via/td-p/419499#

"I am still perplexed as to why when I watch live football on Now TV ( box or new app) I keep seeing ghost ball images when the ball is in the air and distance shots of players running down the pitch are very juddery. Close up pictures and slow motion are excellent quality."

I just went to YouTubeTV a month or so ago and I love it! I actually get more sports channels now than with my previous Fios package. Plus all other channels that the rest of the family is interested in. Spent over $200/mos. for Fios with the HD boxes previously. I did upgrade to gigabite connection with Verizon, but since I work out of the house, I can expense that cost. So now I just pay $50/mos. for YouTube. Unlimited Cloud DVR is nice as well. Only issue with that is that there is not an option to delete old shows/games that you recorded. At least if there is an option, I haven't found it. But that is a minor issue along with a small lag going between shows.

Reactions: YeOldeCup
After several decades of satellite (DirecTV and the last two with DISH), I switched to YouTubeTV last weekend and couldn't be happier with the (much lower) price, quality, and flexibility.

Now to devices. I have a couple of "smart" TVs, but am also using Amazon Fire TV and a Roku Ultra. Roku is the hands down winner on response, options, and versatility. As others have noted, the smart TV manufacturers are the most restrictive on embedded capabilities, customization, and updates/upgrades.

After several decades of satellite (DirecTV and the last two with DISH), I switched to YouTubeTV last weekend and couldn't be happier with the (much lower) price, quality, and flexibility.

Now to devices. I have a couple of "smart" TVs, but am also using Amazon Fire TV and a Roku Ultra. Roku is the hands down winner on response, options, and versatility. As others have noted, the smart TV manufacturers are the most restrictive on embedded capabilities, customization, and updates/upgrades.
Thanks for the info everyone

Without knowing more it’s hard to give an exact answer.

It could be a symptom of your refresh rate. If you know the exact model number you could google what your refresh rate is but know Samsung has their own “Motion rate” that they use when advertising their tvs. Take whatever the samsung “Motion rate” is and divide it in half to get the actual refresh rate. If you’re at 60hz there’s nothing you can do to improve the crispness of the image during fast sequences.

Could also be your amazon box - not sure how old your version is but if it’s older it may not have the processing power to handle the fast moving shots. When I upgraded from my Roku 3 which was about 6 years old at this point to the Roku ultra there was a noticeable difference in picture quality performance - channels loaded and got to their max resolution quicker.

Just a couple thoughts.

Without knowing more it’s hard to give an exact answer.

It could be a symptom of your refresh rate. If you know the exact model number you could google what your refresh rate is but know Samsung has their own “Motion rate” that they use when advertising their tvs. Take whatever the samsung “Motion rate” is and divide it in half to get the actual refresh rate. If you’re at 60hz there’s nothing you can do to improve the crispness of the image during fast sequences.

Could also be your amazon box - not sure how old your version is but if it’s older it may not have the processing power to handle the fast moving shots. When I upgraded from my Roku 3 which was about 6 years old at this point to the Roku ultra there was a noticeable difference in picture quality performance - channels loaded and got to their max resolution quicker.

Just a couple thoughts.
Already gave the guy the solution to his problem. He has to read and understand the context involved.

Same here, YouTube TV. I have a roku ultra on my main tv and roku sticks on the others. They work great, nice simple layout.

Reactions: YeOldeCup
True, but don’t scare off the boomers. The latest $20 fire stick has everything you need to watch everything.

Already gave the guy the solution to his problem. He has to read and understand the context involved.

All due respect but nowhere in his post did he mention ghost images or stuttering as was explained in the solution you shared. In fact my first thought was along the same lines of your link and upon further consideration is likely the incorrect solution.

What he mentions is when there are wide shots the image quality degrades, so what’s likely happening is that when there are more objects such as players / coaches / people in the crowd there is more detail to display and the resolution drops due to these extra details and motion. There are a few culprits and I already mentioned one with my second thought that being older hardware. Second could be the app he’s using but since he mentions it’s yttv that’s not likely the issue. So the third issue could be his internet speed to the Amazon box. I’m not familiar with that piece of hardware but if the internet is “very good” as opposed to “excellent” it could explain the resolution degradation during times of high image data usage (bad terms I know but is late). I’d recommend doing a data speed test through the box to see what mb/s he’s running at during peak usage times and go from there.

And some offense meant here but telling someone that you’ve already answered the question when the person has asked the general board for help makes you come across as pompous. I know you’re an OG around here and I respect that, just surprised to see you act in that manner. Unless you or I or anyone else are in this guy’s living room seeing for our own eyes what’s going on none of us are truly certain as to the problem or solution so why try to prohibit further discussion or assistance?

Get an Amazon Firestick and look into JaysTV.net out of Canada. Been a subscriber for five months and literally watch anything from anywhere and first-run movies. $20/month.

I had PlayStation Vue until they ended the service a few weeks ago. Switched to YouTube tv and frankly think the YouTubetv interface is better.

I have a few relatively cheap TCL smart tv’s in bedrooms. I actually really like them. The Roku works extremely well. I have a OLED in the main room and have a roku stick. I freaking hate the roku stick. I get all sorts of errors with it. I’d say every few times i turn the rev on i get an error. Talked to roku and they told me it was an interference issue and sent me an extended for the hdmi. I was skeptical that it would work and i was right. It didn’t. I’m debating getting a different steaming device for the main tv, but haven’t pulled trigger yet.

I appreciate it and implemented some of those changes to great success. This board never disappoints, thanks good sir.

All due respect but nowhere in his post did he mention ghost images or stuttering as was explained in the solution you shared. In fact my first thought was along the same lines of your link and upon further consideration is likely the incorrect solution.

What he mentions is when there are wide shots the image quality degrades, so what’s likely happening is that when there are more objects such as players / coaches / people in the crowd there is more detail to display and the resolution drops due to these extra details and motion. There are a few culprits and I already mentioned one with my second thought that being older hardware. Second could be the app he’s using but since he mentions it’s yttv that’s not likely the issue. So the third issue could be his internet speed to the Amazon box. I’m not familiar with that piece of hardware but if the internet is “very good” as opposed to “excellent” it could explain the resolution degradation during times of high image data usage (bad terms I know but is late). I’d recommend doing a data speed test through the box to see what mb/s he’s running at during peak usage times and go from there.

And some offense meant here but telling someone that you’ve already answered the question when the person has asked the general board for help makes you come across as pompous. I know you’re an OG around here and I respect that, just surprised to see you act in that manner. Unless you or I or anyone else are in this guy’s living room seeing for our own eyes what’s going on none of us are truly certain as to the problem or solution so why try to prohibit further discussion or assistance?
Thank you for the help!

I had PlayStation Vue until they ended the service a few weeks ago. Switched to YouTube tv and frankly think the YouTubetv interface is better.

I have a few relatively cheap TCL smart tv’s in bedrooms. I actually really like them. The Roku works extremely well. I have a OLED in the main room and have a roku stick. I freaking hate the roku stick. I get all sorts of errors with it. I’d say every few times i turn the rev on i get an error. Talked to roku and they told me it was an interference issue and sent me an extended for the hdmi. I was skeptical that it would work and i was right. It didn’t. I’m debating getting a different steaming device for the main tv, but haven’t pulled trigger yet.
FWIW, I switched from a Roku Stick to the Apple TV 4K a while back with great success. I got the device through a DirecTV Now promotion and couldn't be happier with how it works.

Very much wanted to get rid of DirecTV and move to streaming but the picture quality of YTTV’s live stations just isn’t as good as satellite’s. Not as crisp or as colorful of a picture. Is this just how it is, or is there a way to fine-tune YTTV’s signal to better compete with satellite?

Very much wanted to get rid of DirecTV and move to streaming but the picture quality of YTTV’s live stations just isn’t as good as satellite’s. Not as crisp or as colorful of a picture. Is this just how it is, or is there a way to fine-tune YTTV’s signal to better compete with satellite?

Too many variables to answer that question. Internet speed, router, device used to access YTTV, etc.

At my house, YTTV blew away DirecTV's picture quality by several miles.

I can't get on board yet with cutting the cord as there is always something missing. Youtube TV doesn't have the History Channel, A&E, ATT Sportsnet, Brave, that either the wife or I watch? It's easier just sticking with Dish and calling up every year to get our price down under $100. By the time I get everything I want with a streaming service, I'm well over the $50 anyways. Its got a good interface and whole house DVR, so I can't complain. Plus the picture quality is better- I have a 4K receiver on my big TV which is nice.

With an Amazon Fire Stick, you can pretty much get the price down more, by using one receiver, and use Dish Anywhere streamed to other TVs.

If you don’t mind, how much do you pay monthly now?
I was paying $150 a month with DirectTV when I left them and went to YouTube TV for $43 a month 2 years ago which is now $50. I bumped up my bandwidth to 1gb since I would be streaming for everything and work from home so that was $30 more on my ISP bill. I still end up walking out $70 a month ahead of where I was at and don't miss a thing.

Now the guide is clunky, but I think I am the only member in my house that actually watches TV and that is mostly for sports. My kids NEVER and I mean NEVER turn on YouTube TV. That generation only cares about YouTube, Netflix, and Prime for the most part. One additional cost to me is $99 for the MLB pass which was still way more under DirectTV. I don't get every single game, but I get every single Yankee game which is all I really care about. I have never missed a single PSU game and I can catch NFL games streamed pretty easily if you know where to look.

I was paying $150 a month with DirectTV when I left them and went to YouTube TV for $43 a month 2 years ago which is now $50. I bumped up my bandwidth to 1gb since I would be streaming for everything and work from home so that was $30 more on my ISP bill. I still end up walking out $70 a month ahead of where I was at and don't miss a thing.

Now the guide is clunky, but I think I am the only member in my house that actually watches TV and that is mostly for sports. My kids NEVER and I mean NEVER turn on YouTube TV. That generation only cares about YouTube, Netflix, and Prime for the most part. One additional cost to me is $99 for the MLB pass which was still way more under DirectTV. I don't get every single game, but I get every single Yankee game which is all I really care about. I have never missed a single PSU game and I can catch NFL games streamed pretty easily if you know where to look.
$50 for YouTube but what do you pay for internet? Who’s your provider?Thanks.

$50 for YouTube but what do you pay for internet? Who’s your provider?Thanks.
I use AT&T as my internet service provider. YouTube TV is what I use to replace DirectTV. I bought 2 ROKU sticks for my Samsung’s and several TCL TV’s as I also stream outside in my lanai and sometimes in my garage.

You do not need anywhere near the bandwidth you are paying for. I have cable Internet and their default service is advertised at 200 Mb/sec but I consistently get 240. Streaming on 3 different TVs and concurrent Internet browsing is no problem at all. If you do have a problem doing that, it is not because the service coming into your house isn't as fast as you currently have.

I think cord cutters upgrading their Internet speed is the great lie everyone believes instead of just trying what it's like with regular Internet service. I have 4k TVs and use Rokus on all of them and I do not get why people upgrade their Internet speed when they cut the cord. You just don't need it.

I'm not saying the experience everyone will have will be like mine, but it would be very hard to convince me that you need such fast Internet coming into your house. And unless you have a gigabit wireless router it's pointless, unless you use Ethernet ports all over your house.

Reactions: johnmpsu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT