ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: Game of Thrones S8E3 - ‘The Long Night’ - Discussion Thread...

A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

*Thread title subject to change once full episode title is revealed.

This is it - please try to note SPOILERS in early thread posts following the show.

game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-3-brienne-jaime.jpg

this episode was not great

but....it was going to be tough to do

about 8 folks survived, all main characters

Hope we get an explanation of the Bran/ Night King connection. Cersei, et al, are in for a world of hurt.
It's a little bit of downer, but i think it's as they said. The Children of the Forest created the Night King to defeat/destroy the First Men and Andals, so men. The Three Eyed Raven is a history of men so he wants to wipe that out as well.

Dunno. It dragged for me, as prolonged battle scenes are like car chases ... I tune out and wait to see the fallout in the end.

I almost wanted to see everyone get wiped out, and then somehow Cersei beats the Night King, ensuring bad guys win again. And was a bit disappointed there weren’t more main character deaths, regardless.

It also feels like the series is done, at this point. Throughout the series, I imagined the battle of ice and fire being the finale, and when I saw previews of next week’s episode, I didn’t have that same “I can’t wait ... why isn’t this on Netflix so I can binge?” feeling I normally do.

Regardless, if any good guy/girl was going to take down the Night King, I’m glad Arya did so. Could have done without her scream giving her away before she did the deed, however - not her style.

Last edited:
That's the best episode of anything in the history of television. If you're meh, your soul died sometime around Lost. Was everything perfect? No. Why wouldn't they wipe out as much as possible with the dragons before sending Dothraki in. There were a couple other "oh come on" type moments. But overall. That was as good as television has ever been, or ever will be. It was the Qarth of TV.

Lots of good deaths where characters were able to die heroes. Unfortunately we didn't get to see what happened to Ghost, but assume he didn't make it.

As expected, the crypt was not a good place to be, but no place was.

Despite the big budget, dragon battles still look fake.

Hey, a theory was put to rest. Dany had an opportunity to torch Jon, but she didn't.

The Hound didn't want to fight, until Arya. Nice pep talk Beric.

Love the throwback with Arya to previous episodes. Melissandre and then the fight with Brienne.

What in the hell was Bran doing. He took over the crows, but that was it?

Not much of an army left to fight Cersei. Another theory at play for the win.

Damn, this season has been worth the wait.

Last edited:
Reactions: ftlpsu and 91Joe95
Will there be any dragons left? Will Arya have a baby? I get the feeling episode 4 will just be the prep for Cersei's downfall. Ep. 5 will rock. Will Jaime kill his sis? What a night!

Why wouldn't the night king just lay back and let his minions do the dirty work, if all it takes to wipe out the dead is a prick from Dragon glass of the valeryian steel?

I really don’t have much disappointment to speak of. Was just flat out amazing. I think the directors nailed it as much as they could have.
My only disappointment was that I couldn't tell what was going on half the time? Way too dark... Thought it was my TV, until I saw all the commentary on social media of others with the same complaint

Just a couple more after rewatching some of the episode.

Wherever Bran and the ravens went, have to think it plays into future episodes.

Dang, it isn't likely we will never find out why the Night King made those patterns.

Reactions: 91Joe95
My only disappointment was that I couldn't tell what was going on half the time? Way too dark... Thought it was my TV, until I saw all the commentary on social media of others with the same complaint
Same thing with the battles at the Night Watch. I couldn't figure out whether the dragons had died or which ones had died until the very end. Some characters still up in the air.

Dang, it isn't likely we will ever find out why the Night King made those patterns.

The writers said it was simply as an affront to the children of the forest. Nothing more than mockery and intimidation.

Reactions: canuckhal
I thought he did that to get his attention and let him know exactly where he was so the night king would start heading his way.

I really liked the episode.
Yeah, but in previous episode, Bran said he always knows exactly where he is.

Dang, it isn't likely we will ever find out why the Night King made those patterns.
I think that was a pattern by the Wierwood tree where the Children of the Forest made the Night King, part of the magic maybe, think that's about it.

Reactions: canuckhal
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT