ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Grier skipping wvu bowl game to focus on the draft

Right because those guys playing DL aren't trying to impress pro scouts. Got it.
There are all kinds of rules in the Senior Bowl that aren’t used in regular bowl games designed to ensure player safety. It’s different.

Well IMHO he joined a TEAM. him not playing flies in the face of team. Now, he's a mercenary who fled UF to play at WVU. So they knew what they were getting. Reminds me of kids that verbally commit then change their minds. You are part of a team or you are not; fulfill your obligations.
So apparently you’re upset with Saquon and others who left for the NFL early....after all, they let their team down for a whole season. Those selfish millennials!

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
How many people upset by kids skipping a bowl game had the opportunity walking out of college for 15-20 million dollars if not more? Very few. Barkley and Cook at FSU both stuck around and played in their bowl games, but so did Jake Butt and he got hurt. It's the kids choice and with no playoff or title on the line I can see why some will skip the bowl games. They are focused on their career which I can respect. I don't think McCafferty took a month off to drink it up and party, he went right to work. The NFL understands this move and I guarantee you Carolina fans aren't booing their RB because he missed the Sun Bowl. Like it or not college football at the 1a level is a tryout for the NFL at most P5 schools. The players, NFL, and the schools all benefit from this current arrangement. Some more than others, but a select few each year won't be in the playoff and will have this decision to make. I'm not sure why people cannot respect the decision both ways.
The answer is "approximately 0% of fans." For that reason, fans are rightly given no say in the matter. No WVU fan ever caused a wvu player to go pro.

However, there are any number of linemen and receivers (at least) at WVU who helped Grier get where he is. I would 100 percent support their right to be pissed.

Now, suppose an NFL player has a muscle strain. Doc says if he can live with the pain, he can play on it. However, playing on it, and favoring it slightly, exposes him to further, more serious injury. Since it is millions in career earnings, then you are ok if he does not play for weeks during the season?

Lol.

Grier is far from a first or second round lock. He still has things to prove to scouts. This is a very bad look for him IMO because QB is different. It is by far the most important position on a team. His absence changes everything offensively—especially for his senior receivers who made play after play for him. I think this will raise major red flags. He will need an amazing senior bowl and combine to fix damage from this decision.

Reactions: demlion
The answer is "approximately 0% of fans." For that reason, fans are rightly given no say in the matter. No WVU fan ever caused a wvu player to go pro.

However, there are any number of linemen and receivers (at least) at WVU who helped Grier get where he is. I would 100 percent support their right to be pissed.

Now, suppose an NFL player has a muscle strain. Doc says if he can live with the pain, he can play on it. However, playing on it, and favoring it slightly, exposes him to further, more serious injury. Since it is millions in career earnings, then you are ok if he does not play for weeks during the season?

Lol.

So if you had a friend or teammate who was talented enough to be a high pick which Grier is, you would get pissed at him for prepping for the job interview of his life. Well if that is the case you would suck as a friend as I would be pretty stoked if that was by friend or teammate. Grier isn't skipping a playoff game here and the QB spot is pretty thin this year so every minute he can prep and workout counts. I would still tip my cap to him if he played as well. You can support their right to be pissed, but unless he was a total d!ck to them I think most would get it. Even then if he was a total d!ck, I bet they are happy to not have him around.

Ok, what’s the “meaning” behind a win or loss in ANY football game? EVER? Pro, college, high school, pee-wee?

“Meaning” means I care, I have an interest in the outcome. Apparently you don’t. That’s fine with me.

We disagree on how "meaning" is defined. Maybe I should say "significance". The playoff is determining a national title. Those games have meaning/significance even if you don't respect the playoff. Conference title games have meaning/significance as you earning something. Regular season games have meaning/significance unless both teams participating have been eliminated from contention but at that point you're still battling for positioning. It's better to finish 2nd than 3rd or 6th than 7th. Winning a bowl game does nothing. Losing a bowl game does nothing.

I'm fine with you "caring" about the game but let's pretend we lose. Are you really going to be upset about it?

There are all kinds of rules in the Senior Bowl that aren’t used in regular bowl games designed to ensure player safety. It’s different.
The Senior Bowl is a tryout for guys that will probably play on Sundays but may not be day 1 picks. These guys are trying to improve their draft position and the entire league has people there watching that week. How someone went there is pretty crazy. Hell the practices and interviews that week are more important to a players draft position than any bowl game. People need to start thinking before they post nonsense.

So if you had a friend or teammate who was talented enough to be a high pick which Grier is, you would get pissed at him for prepping for the job interview of his life. Well if that is the case you would suck as a friend as I would be pretty stoked if that was by friend or teammate. Grier isn't skipping a playoff game here and the QB spot is pretty thin this year so every minute he can prep and workout counts. I would still tip my cap to him if he played as well. You can support their right to be pissed, but unless he was a total d!ck to them I think most would get it. Even then if he was a total d!ck, I bet they are happy to not have him around.
No, I would point to all the guys he will be with at the Senior Bowl who DID NOT F their teammates (the vast majority) and say "those guys did it without F'ing their teammates over. Why not you?"

No, I would point to all the guys he will be with at the Senior Bowl who DID NOT F their teammates (the vast majority) and say "those guys did it without F'ing their teammates over. Why not you?"

Please explain how this is "f their teammates" situation...
He got them all SWAG by carrying a horrible team to a bowl game. They should be grateful that he got them $500 work of stuff

Please explain how this is "f their teammates" situation...
He got them all SWAG by carrying a horrible team to a bowl game. They should be grateful that he got them $500 work of stuff
They got him on the draft radar by taking on a PEDs violator who was all done at Fla and playing well enough in the Big 12 to have it come down to one game vs OU to go to the championship...where he coughed it up twice with the game on the line as they lost a close one.

That is what a team is.

Reactions: kevina001
They got him on the draft radar by taking on a PEDs violator who was all done at Fla and playing well enough in the Big 12 to have it come down to one game vs OU to go to the championship...where he coughed it up twice with the game on the line as they lost a close one.

That is what a team is.

They didn't get him on the "draft radar" he did that all by himself.
Their season is over. The bowl game is simply a reward. He can skip the reward if he wants. He single-handedly got it for everyone else.

They didn't get him on the "draft radar" he did that all by himself.
Their season is over. The bowl game is simply a reward. He can skip the reward if he wants. He single-handedly got it for everyone else.
Nope. They protected him and got him every chance to succeed.

Last edited:
If there is a 1% chance that somebody doesn't write me a $20 million dollar check, then I don't care and I am sure that most of his team is on board with it also. You don't screw around when talking that kind of money just because of some 'moral' obligation to your teammates in playing a game. That just doesn't make any sense.
Don't disagree but in the end, the complete opposite of the meaning of team.

Reactions: demlion
If certain games are meaningless, does that mean that any team that does not get selected into the CFP simply not show up for the bowl?

If a team has 7 losses, does that mean they stop the rest of the season because they have not shot at a bowl game - which would be unnecessary to attend since it's not a CFP game.

Actually, the better system would be that the selection committee select the 4 CFP teams, and then rest of the teams simply take the autumn off. Maybe learn to whittle instead. Because you know - none of the rest of the games matter. Because one loudmouth on the BWI board has decided he (or she) has the final say on what's important and what's not. And. Says. It. Repeatedly.

If certain games are meaningless, does that mean that any team that does not get selected into the CFP simply not show up for the bowl?

If a team has 7 losses, does that mean they stop the rest of the season because they have not shot at a bowl game - which would be unnecessary to attend since it's not a CFP game.

Actually, the better system would be that the selection committee select the 4 CFP teams, and then rest of the teams simply take the autumn off. Maybe learn to whittle instead. Because you know - none of the rest of the games matter. Because one loudmouth on the BWI board has decided he (or she) has the final say on what's important and what's not. And. Says. It. Repeatedly.
The whole idea that games your team plays are meaningless, is born of the notion, celebrated now, that your teammates who are not going into the NFL are not worth caring about. That attitude has always been around, but it is celebrated now.

The whole idea that games your team plays are meaningless, is born of the notion, celebrated now, that your teammates who are not going into the NFL are not worth caring about. That attitude has always been around, but it is celebrated now.

Explain the significance of the Citrus Bowl or any bowl game
The only difference is now people accept the fact these games are meaningless. It's a nice trip for the players and they get SWAG. Other than that it's nothing. Hey, you went 5-7 and we don't have enough 6 win teams here's a bowl game

So Hackenberg got drafted because of our line protecting him and giving him every chance to succeed? Interesting theory You're dead wrong but interesting
He got drafted because they thought he had all the tools. Pretty sure he played in the Senior Bowl. How many games did he ever play in in the bigs?

He got drafted because they thought he had all the tools. Pretty sure he played in the Senior Bowl. How many games did he ever play in in the bigs?

Right, like Grier he got drafted because of his skill set (tools) not because of the guys that played with him. This entire discussion is about being drafted not playing in games

Explain the significance of the Citrus Bowl or any bowl game
The only difference is now people accept the fact these games are meaningless. It's a nice trip for the players and they get SWAG. Other than that it's nothing. Hey, you went 5-7 and we don't have enough 6 win teams here's a bowl game
It is a chance for the seniors and those who are done for whatever other reason, to practice and play this GAME together in competition. It is the same as any other game.

Right, like Grier he got drafted because of his skill set (tools) not because of the guys that played with him. This entire discussion is about being drafted not playing in games
So, how many post season games did Hack skip? Did he "better deal" his teammates? No? Huh.

Both Grier and Hack made the guys they played with better, but GRIER got protected a HELL of a lot better than Hack did. But the most important difference is, Hack did not F his teammates

It's cute you think this is little league still or that some of his friends will hold it over him. The Senior bowl is also prep for the NFL and a tryout/interview if you wish. The bowl games are not and his resume on the field is built up. The Senior Bowl can show he can adapt to a non Holgerson offense and will give him face time with the NFL teams...his bowl won't.

Reactions: eidolon21
It's cute you think this is little league still or that some of his friends will hold it over him. The Senior bowl is also prep for the NFL and a tryout/interview if you wish. The bowl games are not and his resume on the field is built up. The Senior Bowl can show he can adapt to a non Holgerson offense and will give him face time with the NFL teams...his bowl won't.
If his teammates are fine with it then I am. But if he is going to say as part of his announcement that he has a lifelong friendship with his teammates, ahhhh, I want to see some proof of that.

Grier is far from a first or second round lock. He still has things to prove to scouts. This is a very bad look for him IMO because QB is different. It is by far the most important position on a team. His absence changes everything offensively—especially for his senior receivers who made play after play for him. I think this will raise major red flags. He will need an amazing senior bowl and combine to fix damage from this decision.
So Saquon’s decision to skip his entire senior season and cost his teammates a shot at a potential CFP berth should have been used against him. How is skipping one meaningless game worse than skipping an entire season?

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
So Saquon’s decision to skip his entire senior season and cost his teammates a shot at a potential CFP berth should have been used against him. How is skipping one meaningless game worse than skipping an entire season?
Skipping an ENTIRE YEAR because you might get hurt is not the same at all as skipping one game while playing in another.

The Senior bowl is more about the week long workouts than the actual game. It's more about getting face time in front of every staff in the league. The NFL doesn't give 2 sh!ts about the Detroit Bowl as most of the kids they are looking at by now have established careers in certain offense. The Senior bowl is like a job interview, the Crap bowl is a fun get away with his team and fans. Which one will have a greater impact on his draft status....game over folks.

If his teammates are fine with it then I am. But if he is going to say as part of his announcement that he has a lifelong friendship with his teammates, ahhhh, I want to see some proof of that.

We all, or most of us, have friendships that have last since college/high school/grade school but those friendships last because people are mature enough to understand you may not like or agree with everything the other person does. Honestly, if someone is no longer his friend because of this then they were never his friend.

Rose Bowl....meaningless or not? Still trying to figure out which games are meaningless are which aren't.

Are the winners of the Rose Bowl not crowned "Rose Bowl Champions"? Or any other bowl for that matter?

ADVERTISEMENT