ADVERTISEMENT

Does Tom Brands make his wrestlers better?

I feel like this must have been used in either a Seinfeld or Curb Your Enthusiasm bit.

Character 1: I’m not disgruntled! To the contrary, I’m actually gruntled. Totally gruntled . . . love to be gruntled.

Character 2: It’s certainly good to be gruntled. My uncle was gruntled. Never had a problem with anyone. Lived to be 98. I never knew anyone so gruntled.

Character 3: Ok, ok, enough with the “gruntled”. We get it.

Character 1: You seem kind of disgruntled.
[cue audience laugh track]
Haven't had a Slush special writing masterpiece in a while.

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
I am going to throw this out there. Do the Brand’s brothers make their recruits better? I have watched incoming freshmen come to Penn State under Cael’s tutelage and have seen them go from good to great. Zain, Bo, and Jason Nolf are the obvious, Quentin and James English are to be included, but I also watched the evolvement of a guy like Anthony Cassar. I watch Iowa wrestling and it appears to me that Spencer Lee is going to continue to be the world class wrester that he is, without anything Tom Brands can teach him. Austin DeSanto is going to do whatever he wants to do without any stamp or input from Tom Brands. Kaleb Young came to Iowa as a guy that was supposed to compete for a national championship. He is still not a top three. All three PA wrestlers. I watch Alex Marinelli and here is a guy that in my opinion has moved up only a couple of positions from the time he arrived at Ames. I don’t see Marinelli winning an NCAA championship. My question is this; what does Tom Brands and his coaching staff do to make a terrific high school recruit into a national contender?
Joined in 2007. 15 posts. 1.07 posts per year. The OP might want to keep that pace up.
I think my issue with the OP was the title, more than the substance. Do T&T make their wrestlers better than they were coming out of high school? I think the answer to that is absolutely yes.

However, another question or two could be asked. Do Iowa wrestlers reach their full potential? In most cases I think the answer to that is "No." And, do Iowa wrestlers generally reach the best that they are going to be under the Brands, but begin to decline before the end of their college careers? Again, generally, yes. Finally, compare and contrast these responses with Cael and Company's approach.

So, IMO, the OP was generally on track with his message, but off the mark with the title. And, I'll admit, my comment should have reflected that back then, instead of the way I reacted.

Way back in the 60’s, there was a WW2 movie named The Battle of the Bulge. It was not an exact recreation of the historical events but it did capture the essence of what happened. V German general leading the attack was played by Robert Shaw who was an awesome actor in a lot of great movies including The Sting.

I remember one scene where his assistant had prepared a nice meal for him and he objected. He told his assistant that he had to eat the same rations as his troops were getting so he could know whether or not they were being pushed too hard.

I wonder if Brands has ever considered attempting something similar. He’s getting up there in his years, so I don’t think it’s realistic to expect him to participate 100% in every single practice. But I know Gable did and Casey and Cael try to go live as much as they can. Maybe if Brands would try to figure out when he’s pushing everyone too hard, the injury and burnout rate might drop.

I have a sign next to my desk at work that says, “No task is impossible for the person who does not have to do the work.”
The problem for Iowa is that the Brands boys trained the way they coached. Gable also trained the way he coached. They have not accepted that not everyone can thrive in that environment. All of them are examples of guys who were so good, blessed with so much talent and wired for that environment that you really couldn't screw them up except for a massive injury.

Gable was an awesome coach because he had more talent than anyone else. He was the best and that is where the best wanted to go. Reality was during his coaching career, just about every program in the country trained the same way. Remember the Jay Robinson Intensive Camp commercials?

Top wrestlers really did not have an alternative training method available to them, so they went to Iowa. Cael came along and showed a different way to train and succeed. That is where the talent is now flowing.

People don't like to change, particularly coaches. An example, I coach high school track, hurdles. I often clash with the head coach on training philosophy. I have researched and found many successful coaches who believe in low volume/high intensity sprint training. The head coach says he is not comfortable training that way because he did not train that way 40 years ago. I can show him a presentation by Carl Lewis where he states that sprinters today do not train with nearly the volume they did back in the 70's and 80's. Head coach still says he did train that way. People are resistant to change.

The problem for Iowa is that the Brands boys trained the way they coached. Gable also trained the way he coached. They have not accepted that not everyone can thrive in that environment. All of them are examples of guys who were so good, blessed with so much talent and wired for that environment that you really couldn't screw them up except for a massive injury.

Gable was an awesome coach because he had more talent than anyone else. He was the best and that is where the best wanted to go. Reality was during his coaching career, just about every program in the country trained the same way. Remember the Jay Robinson Intensive Camp commercials?

Top wrestlers really did not have an alternative training method available to them, so they went to Iowa. Cael came along and showed a different way to train and succeed. That is where the talent is now flowing.

People don't like to change, particularly coaches. An example, I coach high school track, hurdles. I often clash with the head coach on training philosophy. I have researched and found many successful coaches who believe in low volume/high intensity sprint training. The head coach says he is not comfortable training that way because he did not train that way 40 years ago. I can show him a presentation by Carl Lewis where he states that sprinters today do not train with nearly the volume they did back in the 70's and 80's. Head coach still says he did train that way. People are resistant to change.
This reminds me of a baseball story. One of my friends was a personal trainer firm whose clients included several pro sports teams, boxers, and (lol) the MLB umpire's union. So one day we met an ump and he told us this:

Background: LSU has one of the best college baseball programs in history, also a reputation for over-using pitchers who flamed out in the pros, often with arm injuries. LSU star Ben McDonald was the #1 overall pick one year by the Orioles, and had a disappointing career. He was also a notorious meathead.

Anyway, as the story goes: as the O's and their opponent exchanged lineup cards, the other manager told the home plate ump that McDonald wouldn't finish the 4th inning. Because he throws every warmup pitch like it's the last strike of Game 7 of the World Series -- which is close to doubling his # innings pitched.

Sure enough, McDonald got knocked out early. Which was not uncommon for him.

Reactions: 1AA
Way back in the 60’s, there was a WW2 movie named The Battle of the Bulge. It was not an exact recreation of the historical events but it did capture the essence of what happened. V German general leading the attack was played by Robert Shaw who was an awesome actor in a lot of great movies including The Sting.

I remember one scene where his assistant had prepared a nice meal for him and he objected. He told his assistant that he had to eat the same rations as his troops were getting so he could know whether or not they were being pushed too hard.

I wonder if Brands has ever considered attempting something similar. He’s getting up there in his years, so I don’t think it’s realistic to expect him to participate 100% in every single practice. But I know Gable did and Casey and Cael try to go live as much as they can. Maybe if Brands would try to figure out when he’s pushing everyone too hard, the injury and burnout rate might drop.

I have a sign next to my desk at work that says, “No task is impossible for the person who does not have to do the work.”
Tom Brands has done more college workouts than all of the kids in his room combined. He is the epitome of "I wouldn't ask you to do anything I haven't done"

Tom Brands has done more college workouts than all of the kids in his room combined. He is the epitome of "I wouldn't ask you to do anything I haven't done"
You are exactly right, Brands has done incredibly difficult workouts over an extended period of time, and that is the problem. He does not realize that most of his wrestlers cannot go at that intentisty level workout after workout after workout, season after season after season. They start to breakdown.

If you don't ride the wave of change you will find yourself beneath it

Not about what he has done but what he's doing now.
Tom isn't going into the post season with 2 injured wrestlers this year. I don't know why you are concerned so much with Tom Brands.

Call him and tell him how to do his job.

This reminds me of a baseball story. One of my friends was a personal trainer firm whose clients included several pro sports teams, boxers, and (lol) the MLB umpire's union. So one day we met an ump and he told us this:

Background: LSU has one of the best college baseball programs in history, also a reputation for over-using pitchers who flamed out in the pros, often with arm injuries. LSU star Ben McDonald was the #1 overall pick one year by the Orioles, and had a disappointing career. He was also a notorious meathead.

Anyway, as the story goes: as the O's and their opponent exchanged lineup cards, the other manager told the home plate ump that McDonald wouldn't finish the 4th inning. Because he throws every warmup pitch like it's the last strike of Game 7 of the World Series -- which is close to doubling his # innings pitched.

Sure enough, McDonald got knocked out early. Which was not uncommon for him.
I know this isn't a referendum on Ben McDonald, and no doubt his MLB playing career failed to live up to the hype, but he has turned into one heckuva color analyst for the Orioles. Super informative.

Reactions: Lyons212
Tom isn't going into the post season with 2 injured wrestlers this year. I don't know why you are concerned so much with Tom Brands.

Do you agree or disagree with Wahlberg? You know, someone who was actually in the room for four years. You and I are internet warriors. Wahlberg is the real thing. Tell me he doesn't know what he's talking about?

You're right. He's going into it with only one injured wrestler and another not even qualifying. I just haven't decided yet if thats progress or not..

Do you agree or disagree with Wahlberg? You know, someone who was actually in the room for four years. You and I are internet warriors. Wahlberg is the real thing. Tell me he doesn't know what he's talking about?
I don't know why internet warriors from Pennsylvania are worried about Tom Brands. You should call him and tell him how to do his job.

Brands' coaching strengths: positioning, hand-fighting, and toughness.

Brands' coaching weaknesses: varied attacks, scrambling ability, and freedom to take risks.

I think it has now become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Wrestlers who embrace the Iowa style go there to get better at the former and they rarely develop the latter.

Wild Turk, most of us on this board would be very happy if Tom Brands sign a lifetime contract to be the head coach of the Iowa wrestling program.

Last edited:

I don't give two shits and a **** about the dwarf or his brother. No concern I hope he keeps doing what he is doing

Reactions: Ski and danoftw
Do you agree or disagree with a wrestler in the Iowa room? That was the question.

Who the f cares about what Turk thinks?
NOV19-Its-A-No-From-Me.gif

I don't know why internet warriors from Pennsylvania are worried about Tom Brands. You should call him and tell him how to do his job.
He isn't doing his job that's the point I think our team as a whole shows that pretty well

Reactions: Ski
So besides Cael, all the other D1 wrestling coaches aren't doing their job either. Iowa has been the 2nd best team overall since Cael started coaching at PSU.
I would agree in part but with the potential he has at his disposal I would say he's behind along with Ryan who is even more behind with the potential of his recruits. Not to bicker or be smart, but the brands need pushed by somebody to do better or the loudest fans who think second is best for Iowa will win out. I think a better Iowa team makes a better penn state team. It's not that tom is doing better than the rest he isn't doing the best with what he has in my opinion. I've been wrong before good luck at nationals I'll try to tamper back a little on responding

So besides Cael, all the other D1 wrestling coaches aren't doing their job either. Iowa has been the 2nd best team overall since Cael started coaching at PSU.

How low are you willing to lower the bar? Third, fourth? An Iowa fan copacetic with 2nd best is something I never expected

Fifth in the Big Ten has to be a concern, does it not? If not, that's fine. I'm just curious if there is an off-ramp.

I would agree in part but with the potential he has at his disposal I would say he's behind along with Ryan who is even more behind with the potential of his recruits. Not to bicker or be smart, but the brands need pushed by somebody to do better or the loudest fans who think second is best for Iowa will win out. I think a better Iowa team makes a better penn state team. It's not that tom is doing better than the rest he isn't doing the best with what he has in my opinion. I've been wrong before good luck at nationals I'll try to tamper back a little on responding

I wholeheartedly disagree a “better Iowa team makes a better penn state team.” This whole season refutes that notion. They finished fourth in the conference, will, maybe, finish top 10 at nationals, and we are going to challenge the all-time scoring record. Penn State’s motivation under Cael is entirely intrinsic.

The reason bitches like Wild Turd are so bitter and resentful isn't just because Iowa is losing. Guys like that are losers all their lives. What Penn State has done is to take the one thing in their lives they could find meaning in as winners, vicariously of course, and made them irrelevant.

How low are you willing to lower the bar? Third, fourth? An Iowa fan copacetic with 2nd best is something I never expected

Fifth in the Big Ten has to be a concern, does it not? If not, that's fine. I'm just curious if there is an off-ramp.
I want to be first of course. I want to win just like anyone else in the sport. I'm a realist.
Not having Siebrecht, Nelson Brands and Big Cass hurt this year certainly. Gabe Arnold and Kueter redshirting factors in aswell.

Having Franek and Caliendo transfer in was nice. A Nagao at 133 and a Truax at 184 would've been nicer. This year is what it is.

Cael isnt going to suddenly stop getting top recruits to join. Every team out there going against the Lions has the same battle in front of them. Not just the Hawkeyes

Reactions: lookleft goright
The reason bitches like Wild Turd are so bitter and resentful isn't just because Iowa is losing. Guys like that are losers all their lives.
Funny what is allowed here and what isn't. Super for you Todd. Hope you feel better calling me a bitch and a lifetime loser.

I'm far from bitter and resentful. I fully understand the landscape of what is happening in our sport. I've been paying attention closely for 25+ years.

Reactions: lookleft goright
I wholeheartedly disagree a “better Iowa team makes a better penn state team.” This whole season refutes that notion. They finished fourth in the conference, will, maybe, finish top 10 at nationals, and we are going to challenge the all-time scoring record. Penn State’s motivation under Cael is entirely intrinsic.

The reason bitches like Wild Turd are so bitter and resentful isn't just because Iowa is losing. Guys like that are losers all their lives. What Penn State has done is to take the one thing in their lives they could find meaning in as winners, vicariously of course, and made them irrelevant.
Wow! Hard truth 🔥

Reactions: Ski

I called him. Telford answered. I told him you said I should call. He said he doesn’t know who you are. Said the only guy from your forum authorized to have Penn St fans call Tom’s home phone is GIApet.

the one 'T' certainly teaches a lateral drop (you can see it on display when he instructs his natty champ to hit immediately afterwards) 🤣

Reactions: danoftw
You are exactly right, Brands has done incredibly difficult workouts over an extended period of time, and that is the problem. He does not realize that most of his wrestlers cannot go at that intentisty level workout after workout after workout, season after season after season. They start to breakdown.
Peaking is a frame of mind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT