ADVERTISEMENT

Does Tom Brands make his wrestlers better?

I've been around a long time now. I travel the boards for my daily fun. I'm not frustrated with anything really. Just cruising along doing my thing 😎
If you’re not frustrated with the Brands’ results over the past few seasons, then you can’t be the rabid Hawk fan that I had you pegged to be. Those guys on the Hawk message board posting about this same topic are rapidly approaching live fire mode! 😁

Reactions: donboy6499
Lol. I'm always over thinking and analyzing sports...especially wrestling. I think the biggest reason I keep getting banned on HR is I always go to subjects people don't care to talk about. Burnout and HEW and broken bodies being one of them. Those guys killed me over that one especially when I told them it would be a big reason why the heavily favored Hawks would not win it all in 2022. Spencer Lee was another. Him not becoming a 4 timer wasn't a shock to me in the least. The health aspect was obvious, the not being able to fully train was a reason but I also told them there was at least one guy out there making Spencer his vision quest. The perfect storm for a Lee loss to me was obvious but I was an idiot to both fanbases for saying it. You might remember me telling those guys years ago how valuable Bonnie is and that she was a big reason why Penn State kids seemed to wrestle more relaxed and care free. That was an aspect of the team I've always found fascinating. To be honest, those were the types of things I used to talk about on HR... I didn't really even discuss actual matches and results with them. And those were the types of discussions that led to my fallout there and why I became so despised. It was only then that I just decided to become a troll when I visited there... lol

Paragraphs, my friend, paragraphs.

Reactions: dbldoofus
I've been around a long time now. I travel the boards for my daily fun. I'm not frustrated with anything really. Just cruising along doing my thing 😎
You can try your best with this act, but you’re not fooling many.

The thing is, every time you get personal with johnstown, you lose. Your insecurities get the best of you, and you cross lines that no one can support. I know you take pride in building yourself up to be some sort of ‘lone wolf’, but think about that. Why is it that you “do your thing”?

You might feel better about yourself if you just own your issues and resist the urge to flirt with the lines of basic decency when someone irks you. Put on your big boy pants. There really isn’t anything to win here.

The thing is, every time you get personal with johnstown, you lose. Your insecurities get the best of you, and you cross lines that no one can support. I know you take pride in building yourself up to be some sort of ‘lone wolf’, but think about that. Why is it that you “do your thing”?

You might feel better about yourself if you just own your issues and resist the urge to flirt with the lines of basic decency when someone irks you. Put on your big boy pants. There really isn’t anything to win here.

The Lone Wolf doing his thing:
200w.gif

Watch your own bobber Slush. I got this kid

Something else I find funny with HR, I was banned for telling them things that I actually had inside knowledge on. Remember when their insider was telling the others that Teasdale was doing great and was with team at a match. One of them went as far to say they saw him on TV. I coerced that out of them when I simply asked why Teasdale was no longer showing on the roster...something none of them seemed to have caught. Little did they know, rumors in Western PA were already swirling about Gavin and on top of it, I literally saw him here in PA when their all knowing insider was saying he was at the match. There was,also Kem and my telling them he was having a hard time coming back for one last year. I got that info a really good source but HR guys told me i had no idea what i was talking about and im pretty sure that discussion eventually led to my being banned yet again. Not sure if I was still posting on HR when Willie confirmed to a T later on that Kem was indeed struggling with the "want" to come back..
Talked to Beau’s dad and his friend with my friend last Saturday. He was a great guy and very open about how beau’s recruitment went and why he chose psu. He also gave us some insight in how psu runs the program.

Stuff we have all heard before but the Cael we see seems to be how he is off camera. They get mad at that .

They just want to be where Penn State is now, and I think they’re starting to realize that will never happen. They don’t realize how far Cael’s influence extends. It died on me recently what he has actually accomplished, and it’s sort of like how you laid out out he wouldn’t be the best program. He wanted this to be the best wrestling destination in this country or maybe the world.

Talked to Beau’s dad and his friend with my friend last Saturday. He was a great guy and very open about how beau’s recruitment went and why he chose psu. He also gave us some insight in how psu runs the program.

Stuff we have all heard before but the Cael we see seems to be how he is off camera. They get mad at that .

They just want to be where Penn State is now, and I think they’re starting to realize that will never happen. They don’t realize how far Cael’s influence extends. It died on me recently what he has actually accomplished, and it’s sort of like how you laid out out he wouldn’t be the best program. He wanted this to be the best wrestling destination in this country or maybe the world.
Here's the thing. You can run a program like boot camp, but eventually boot camp ends. Even Seal and Ranger training only last so long at such an intense level. Eventually, you see massive burnout and animosity. That doesn't work in any program or business. Coaches have to realize, these are human beings and young adults. Then, throw in college classes, injuries, and a massive amount of pressure. There has to be an off button somewhere.

Do you still post here? Wanted to tell you I can relate. You made a post, everyone... Hawk and PSU fans alike poke fun at you and then a few years later you are proven right all along. If you don't post here anymore let me give you some advice...change your stance on that. Ya gotta trust me on this but playing the "long game" is so much more fun. And if your goal is to just make Hawk fans look dumb, it's always the most fulfilling...even if a few PSU fans end up becoming collateral damage.
I'm still around.

Here's the thing. You can run a program like boot camp, but eventually boot camp ends. Even Seal and Ranger training only last so long at such an intense level. Eventually, you see massive burnout and animosity. That doesn't work in any program or business. Coaches have to realize, these are human beings and young adults. Then, throw in college classes, injuries, and a massive amount of pressure. There has to be an off button somewhere.
You'll never make it in the Iowa room with that piss poor attitude. These are not Seals. These are not Rangers. These are not even humans. They are Iowa wrestlers. Iron sharpens iron and all that.

lol

• Love
Reactions: Hotshoe
You'll never make it in the Iowa room with that piss poor attitude. These are not Seals. These are not Rangers. These are not even humans. They are Iowa wrestlers. Iron sharpens iron and all that.

lol
Yeah, Navy Seals are pu&&ies compared to Iowa wrestlers.

Reactions: Pennstate1985

@backdrft76
Poty

I'm still around.
Ok good. Something I found funny, the very first reply to you in this thread came from js (back in 2021) telling you that your post was a "all time dumb post".

Here's a quote in regards to Brands from that same js, taken off GIA just yesterday.

"it’s not 100% his fault but the critiques that he can’t get guys to the top of the podium (if they aren’t spencer lee) and that he wears down seniors will continue and be justified."

Keep playing the "long game" my friend...

Yep.

Plus it’s one thing to run all of this like boot camp when everyone runs it like boot camp. Then it becomes moot and not a factor in getting 17 year old kids.

It’s a whole other thing when the elite guys can go places that don’t have this approach. With other options, most people don’t want every day to be life and death. But there’s the Iowa Way.

…. With other options, most people don’t want every day to be life and death. But there’s the Iowa Way.
That’s what made me not enjoy the book “Ender’s Game” too much. I could never believe the book’s premise that the only way to develop a fighter was to repeatedly put his life in peril for no other reason whatsoever. Especially since they were trying to develop a video gamer. Wrestling, like video games, is not life and death. Cael says wrestling is just one small part of his wrestlers’ lives. That makes more sense to me and is believable.

Ok good. Something I found funny, the very first reply to you in this thread came from js (back in 2021) telling you that your post was a "all time dumb post".

Here's a quote in regards to Brands from that same js, taken off GIA just yesterday.

"it’s not 100% his fault but the critiques that he can’t get guys to the top of the podium (if they aren’t spencer lee) and that he wears down seniors will continue and be justified."

Keep playing the "long game" my friend...
Thank you.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Yep.

Plus it’s one thing to run all of this like boot camp when everyone runs it like boot camp. Then it becomes moot and not a factor in getting 17 year old kids.

It’s a whole other thing when the elite guys can go places that don’t have this approach. With other options, most people don’t want every day to be life and death. But there’s the Iowa Way.
Way back in the 60’s, there was a WW2 movie named The Battle of the Bulge. It was not an exact recreation of the historical events but it did capture the essence of what happened. V German general leading the attack was played by Robert Shaw who was an awesome actor in a lot of great movies including The Sting.

I remember one scene where his assistant had prepared a nice meal for him and he objected. He told his assistant that he had to eat the same rations as his troops were getting so he could know whether or not they were being pushed too hard.

I wonder if Brands has ever considered attempting something similar. He’s getting up there in his years, so I don’t think it’s realistic to expect him to participate 100% in every single practice. But I know Gable did and Casey and Cael try to go live as much as they can. Maybe if Brands would try to figure out when he’s pushing everyone too hard, the injury and burnout rate might drop.

I have a sign next to my desk at work that says, “No task is impossible for the person who does not have to do the work.”

Way back in the 60’s, there was a WW2 movie named The Battle of the Bulge. It was not an exact recreation of the historical events but it did capture the essence of what happened. V German general leading the attack was played by Robert Shaw who was an awesome actor in a lot of great movies including The Sting.

I remember one scene where his assistant had prepared a nice meal for him and he objected. He told his assistant that he had to eat the same rations as his troops were getting so he could know whether or not they were being pushed too hard.

I wonder if Brands has ever considered attempting something similar. He’s getting up there in his years, so I don’t think it’s realistic to expect him to participate 100% in every single practice. But I know Gable did and Casey and Cael try to go live as much as they can. Maybe if Brands would try to figure out when he’s pushing everyone too hard, the injury and burnout rate might drop.

I have a sign next to my desk at work that says, “No task is impossible for the person who does not have to do the work.”
Awesome movie, directed by Ken Annikin. He also did Call of the Wild, Swiss Family Robinson, and The Longest Day, among others.

Great post!

This video isn't about wrestling, but it is about martial arts training and perhaps it shows why the Iowa training style isn't the most effective at cranking out elite wrestlers. Warning for Iowa fans, it contains the F word. A little over 10 minutes in length:

Great analogy.

Erudite or learned?
Not only has my wrestling knowledge increased by spending countless hours here, but my vocabulary has improved also : ) Speaking of vocabulary skills, I once told my squad of police officers I would buy lunch for the first one of them who would use the word gruntled when talking to the dispatcher. No one took me up on it. I think they just figured I was losing my mind in my old age, as if I was some fatuous antediluvian sergeant or something!

Not only has my wrestling knowledge increased by spending countless hours here, but my vocabulary has improved also : ) Speaking of vocabulary skills, I once told my squad of police officers I would buy lunch for the first one of them who would use the word gruntled when talking to the dispatcher. No one took me up on it. I think they just figured I was losing my mind in my old age, as if I was some fatuous antediluvian sergeant or something!
I have never heard gruntled used in a sentence.

I have never heard gruntled used in a sentence.
I feel like this must have been used in either a Seinfeld or Curb Your Enthusiasm bit.

Character 1: I’m not disgruntled! To the contrary, I’m actually gruntled. Totally gruntled . . . love to be gruntled.

Character 2: It’s certainly good to be gruntled. My uncle was gruntled. Never had a problem with anyone. Lived to be 98. I never knew anyone so gruntled.

Character 3: Ok, ok, enough with the “gruntled”. We get it.

Character 1: You seem kind of disgruntled.
[cue audience laugh track]

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT