ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting stat....could bode well for Allar

IANit

Dec 8, 2002
Iowa
In his first game against Ohio State in Columbus Kerry Collins - all-time PSU great - was 13-39-0-4. Four interceptions and no TDs! In a 24-6 loss.

Flash forward a year and Collins was 19-23-2-0 for 265 yards in a 63-14 win.

Allar's stats weren't great in his first trip to Columbus, but somewhat better and no interceptions: 18-42-1-0.

Can he make a similar leap this year?

In his first game against Ohio State in Columbus Kerry Collins - all-time PSU great - was 13-39-0-4. Four interceptions and no TDs! In a 24-6 loss.

Allar's stats weren't great in his first trip to Columbus, but somewhat better and no interceptions: 18-42-1-0.

Collins had some help with Bobby Engram, Kyle Brady and KiJana Carter. I think Mike Archie had a huge day too against Ohio State. Rivera, Hartings and Johnson on the OL. I don't believe Allar has that kind of talent around him but I sure how he has a big jump.

Interesting stats. I remember Collins being "meh" in his first year as starter.

Not picking on your trivia (thanks for sharing) but it shouldn't be surprising that older, more experienced players generally perform better than first year starters. Some positions it is more evident than others, but is generally true across the board.

Collins had some help with Bobby Engram, Kyle Brady and KiJana Carter. I think Mike Archie had a huge day too against Ohio State. Rivera, Hartings and Johnson on the OL. I don't believe Allar has that kind of talent around him but I sure how he has a big jump.
They were all there in 1993, too. But Collins improved. That improvement really started in 1993 - I think the MSU game when he brought PSU back from a 37-17 deficit was the place you could really see it.

Reactions: lazydave841
Great point. I think Allar has what can't be taught or learned. He's 6-5 with a rocket arm. He's got good pocket presence. So his starting point is better than most.

We'll see what his trajectory is. Again, let's not forget that he just turned 20 years old. He's young and didn't come out of a football factory. I believe Collins was a 21-year-old Jr in 1993 in that game. Allar was a 19-year-old Soph. Also, Collins was a second-year starter while Allar was a first-year starter. He was throwing to Engram and Brady (TE).

In my mind, Allar was fine last year but not great. I think I expected great after WVU but Illinois broke the code on how to defend us and we never fixed that problem until after both tOSU and UM (if at all).

I expect him to be much better in 2024 and am cautiously optimistic about the new OC.

Interesting stats. I remember Collins being "meh" in his first year as starter.

Not picking on your trivia (thanks for sharing) but it shouldn't be surprising that older, more experienced players generally perform better than first year starters. Some positions it is more evident than others, but is generally true across the board.
Well, I feel like a lot of people have written Allar off. Maybe he hasn't lived up to the massive expectations, but I thought he did OK for a first year starter.

I remember hearing a lot from supposed PSU insiders about Collins heading into the 1992 season and how much better he was than the other QBs in practice. Then a supposed "family volleyball" game (still waiting to hear the real story on that one) ended with him breaking his index finger on his throwing hand, opening the door for John Sacca. I think Collins got a start or two in 1992, but wasn't the starter until Sacca's meltdown at Iowa in 1993. It wasn't until the MSU game in 1993 that we saw a glimpse of the Kerry Collins I was expecting to see based on all the hype.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
They were all there in 1993, too. But Collins improved. That improvement really started in 1993 - I think the MSU game when he brought PSU back from a 37-17 deficit was the place you could really see it.
Right--they were and that's a testament to the improve Collins showed but they all also took a step forward. Do you think we have a WR even to the level of Freddie Scott? That's vital to having the success and improvement that Collins did.

I'm pro-Allar. I just worry about the supporting cast.

Right--they were and that's a testament to the improve Collins showed but they all also took a step forward. Do you think we have a WR even to the level of Freddie Scott? That's vital to having the success and improvement that Collins did.

I would think we have several who could be comparable or better talentwise - he was a 5'10 190 lb receiver who ran a 4.7 and was a UFA who played in the league. It's going to be up to them whether they develop into the type of college player he was. The issue last year sounded like a lack of leadership. I think Fleming will help there.

Reactions: RickinDayton
I would think we have several who could be comparable or better talentwise - he was a 5'10 190 lb receiver who ran a 4.7 and was a UFA who played in the league. It's going to be up to them whether they develop into the type of college player he was. The issue last year sounded like a lack of leadership. I think Fleming will help there.
Hope so. I think Fleming is by far the best but obviously not Engram. And as good as our backs are they're not KiJana and Theo isn't Brady and the line isn't on that level. That team, or offense anyways, is arguably the best ever. I just hope Allar get way more help than last year.

Well hopefully Julian Fleming can excel @ PSU as a #1 WR. That would help Allar.

Reactions: LandoComando

Exactly. Collins supporting cast on offense included 4 future first round NFL draft picks. Absolutely without a doubt the most offensive talent in program history.

Allar’s supporting receivers cast is not on the same planet compared to Engram, Scott, and Brady.

Allar needs to take charge more than anything. If he does that, he will excel this year and greatly enhance his future. I’m hopeful that he decides to be the Man this year. He has all the natural ability to do so. But he hasn’t shown that personality yet.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Exactly. Collins supporting cast on offense included 4 future first round NFL draft picks. Absolutely without a doubt the most offensive talent in program history.

Allar’s supporting receivers cast is not on the same planet compared to Engram, Scott, and Brady.
You've got the benefit of hindsight. Freddie Scott had 12 catches for a couple hundred yards in 1993, third on the team behind Chip LaBarca and Engram, who had nearly 1000. I don't know that there was anything to suggest he'd be a nearly 1000-yard receiver in 1994. Those guys you mention were first rounders mainly because of what they did in 1994.

Allar needs to take charge more than anything. If he does that, he will excel this year and greatly enhance his future. I’m hopeful that he decides to be the Man this year. He has all the natural ability to do so. But he hasn’t shown that personality yet.
I agree with that. Any qb worth anything must be an Alpha Dog. Allar is no novice anymore, so I expect to see him be a much more vocal leader than I saw last season; he needs to be the clear boss of the offense on the field, and get his teammates, especially the receivers, in line, which means that he may need to get into somebody's face if they're not doing the job ala Tom Brady.

Last edited:
You've got the benefit of hindsight. Freddie Scott had 12 catches for a couple hundred yards in 1993, third on the team behind Chip LaBarca and Engram, who had nearly 1000. I don't know that there was anything to suggest he'd be a nearly 1000-yard receiver in 1994. Those guys you mention were first rounders mainly because of what they did in 1994.

Check the Penn State records for 1993. I remember that season like it was yesterday. In 1993, Kerry Collins was not a good QB for the majority of the Penn State games. In fact, Collins finished the 1993 season with 13 TD passes and 11 interceptions. His passing rating in 1993 (113.1) wasn’t much different from 1992 (110.1)

Collins breakout year was 1994 not 1993.

Reactions: GSPMax and LMTLION
Check the Penn State records for 1993. I remember that season like it was yesterday. In 1993, Kerry Collins was not a good QB for the majority of the Penn State games. In fact, Collins finished the 1993 season with 13 TD passes and 11 interceptions. His passing rating in 1993 (113.1) wasn’t much different from 1992 (110.1)

For the most part, you're right. However, an Epiphany happened to that offfense in the fourth quarter of the MSU game in 1993 and they never looked back. If you remember, after they made that great comeback against MSU, they beat a very good Tennessee team in the Citrus Bowl and you could see that they had all of the makings of a great 1994.

On another note, although Paterno began to lose his fast ball for the most part after that 1994 season, from 1991 to 2009, his teams beat SEC teams in bowl games in 1991, 1993, 1995, 2006 and 2009. I know that he lost to SEC teams in a few bowl games during that time period, but that still was a very good showing against the "top" football conference.

Last edited:
For the most part, you're right. However, an Epiphany happened to that offfense in the fourth quarter of the MSU game in 1993 and they never looked back. If you remember, after they made that great comeback against MSU, they beat a very good Tennessee team in the Citrus Bowl and you could see that they had all of the makings of a great 1994.

Keep in mind that 1993 offense was loaded with high-end talent like Brady, Engram, and Carter. Kerry Collins was the only thing holding that team back for most of 1993. While I do expect Allar to improve, I still don’t think the talent surrounding him 2024 warrants thinking the Penn State offense will be as productive as 1994. The talent disparity between the 1994 offense and the 2024 offense is monumental.

Keep in mind that 1993 offense was loaded with high-end talent like Brady, Engram, and Carter. Kerry Collins was the only thing holding that team back for most of 1993. While I do expect Allar to improve, I still don’t think the talent surrounding him 2024 warrants thinking the Penn State offense will be as productive as 1994. The talent disparity between the 1994 offense and the 2024 offense is monumental.
It won't be, but it doesn't have to be to have a successful season. I mean, you'e talking about one of the greatest offenses in the history of college football, right up there with the 2019 LSU offense. Those offenses are generational; the 1994 PSU offense had two Heisman Trophy finalists.

We'll be okay if the 2024 offense is close to most of the offenses under Franklin from 2016 to 2022. If it resembles last season's offense, then the record will be worse than last season's record.

Reactions: blair10
It won't be, but it doesn't have to be to have a successful season. I mean, you'e talking about one of the greatest offenses in the history of college football, right up there with the 2019 LSU offense. Those offenses are generational.

We'll be okay if the 2024 offense is close to most of the offenses under Franklin from 2016 to 2022. If it resembles last season's offense, then the record will be worse than last season's record.
Depends how you define successful

Depends how you define successful
I would define 10-2 as successful based on having to play road games at WVU, USC and Wisconsin, as well as against OSU, which probably will be a top 4 or 5 team when we play them. That record should get us into the playoffs, which would be a step in the right direction. I believe that it's a bit unrealistic to expect a better record than 10-2, and that probably will be the case for any future season considering that there are going to be fewer gimmies with the Big 10 schedule.

I'm not disagreeing. But Collins started to flash his potential at the end of 1993 - leading the come-from-behind win over MSU and outdueling the highly touted Heath Shuler in the bowl game vs. Tennessee.

I would guess some of Freddie Scott's big 1994 production was due to a more confident Kerry Collins.. Engram had similar production in 1995. Scott went back to under 400 yards that year with Richardson at QB.

I'm in no way suggesting this will be a 1994-type offense, just that there is potential for improvement.

Reactions: blair10
I would define 10-2 as successful based on having to play road games at WVU, USC and Wisconsin, as well as against OSU, which probably will be a top 4 or 5 team when we play them. That record should get us into the playoffs, which would be a step in the right direction. I believe that it's a bit unrealistic to expect a better record than 10-2, and that probably will be the case for any future season considering that there are going to be fewer gimmies with the Big 10 schedule.
We should be favored in all 3 of those road games. 10-2 is fine if it includes a playoff win. Otherwise we remain stagnant.

We should be favored in all 3 of those road games. 10-2 is fine if it includes a playoff win. Otherwise we remain stagnant.
I know that you don't think highly of WVU, but I would expect that game to be a dog fight. Regardless, I believe that the outcomes of those three road games will dictate whether we make the playoffs. In order to do that, we'll have to win at least two of those three games.

Regardless of USC's perceived weaknesses, you know that Riley is going to put a very talented offense on the field, and PSU probably will have to score well into the 30s to win that game. While I believe that the West Coast teams are going to struggle when they come east, I also would expect the Midwest and East Coast teams to struggle when they go west; think PSU v. USC in 1991 and v. BYU in 1992.

I know that you don't think highly of WVU, but I would expect that game to be a dog fight. Regardless, I believe that the outcomes of those three road games will dictate whether we make the playoffs. In order to do that, we'll have to win at least two of those three games.

Regardless of USC's perceived weaknesses, you know that Riley is going to put a very talented offense on the field, and PSU probably will have to score well into the 30s to win that game. While I believe that the West Coast teams are going to struggle when they come east, I also would expect the Midwest and East Coast teams to struggle when they go west; think PSU v. USC in 1991 and v. BYU in 1992.
Yeah I think we beat WVU by 20+. We'll start slow but the game is never in doubt. Same with Wisconsin. Who knows with USC this year. I don't see travel having the impact it used to honestly. 3+ decades ago it wasn't nearly as comfortable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT