ADVERTISEMENT

Coming to Iowa FB game Nov 5th.

I just bought our tickets. they are in Section WB Row 28. They start at row D and go up to U and then start at 1 so I am guessing these are at least 50 rows from the field? I was hoping for better seats but these will have to do.

$150 on ticketmaster plus all there fees ended up $165/ticket.

Those are good seats. That said, there are very few 'bad' seats at the Beav. You'll have a great time (minus the game result ;)). Wear your Iowa gear and don't be afraid to be friendly or strike up conversations with Penn State fans. You'll be treated well and likely invited to a few tailgates. It's not Columbus. ;)

Reactions: terrehawk
I just bought our tickets. they are in Section WB Row 28. They start at row D and go up to U and then start at 1 so I am guessing these are at least 50 rows from the field? I was hoping for better seats but these will have to do.

$150 on ticketmaster plus all there fees ended up $165/ticket.

For a night game I don't think I'd mind that price. You'd have had a much easier time of it if it had been a noon kickoff. Your'e adjacent to the side of the south endzone. You'll have a good vantage point for play in the south side of the 50 yard line but vantage for play on the north side of the 50 might be a little flat, but probably not too bad. For several years I had tix in upper WC row 74 and thought they were alright....although I wouldn't trade them for what I have now. Note that the next section over to your right is the beginning of the student section....so there's that.

Actually. in 1978, the whole stadium was jacked up (I am not kidding) and the new seats (about 25 rows) were built underneath, and then they lowered the old par onto the new foundations. See photo below. Pretty wild. As my dorm and room faced the stadium, I got to watch some of this happening.

16140051-standard.jpg

When walking at field level inside the Beaver, under the seating sections, pick a steel column supporting the seating sections. About 15-20' above the column base the original jacking angles can still be seen welded to the column flanges. The jacking angles were never removed.

We're staying at the Atherton Hotel on Saturday night. How will the walk be back from the stadium after the game?

Is this a safe walk?

what bars should we head on the way home?

Where should we go for tailgating before the game?

We're staying at the Atherton Hotel on Saturday night. How will the walk be back from the stadium after the game?

Is this a safe walk?

Easy walk. About 1 1/2 miles. You walk up college Ave from stadium back to hotel and there are a number of bars I the way. It has been a while since I have been there but I think The Saloon the Rathskelkar and zenos are on your way.

Last edited:
Terrehawk and Hawkifann -

My wife has invited friends to the game who are Iowa fans. They lived in a small town in western Iowa (Treynor? Frozenpeas? ;-) ) for 20 or so years before moving to Maryland about 15ish years ago. I think they said yes to coming. Anyway, if they do, they will be lonely Iowa fans at our tailgate. You and your entourages are welcome to stop by our tailgate as you make your rounds and say hello and have a drink and talk Hawkeyes football with them. And with us.

Whether these friends come up or not, closer to game day, get in touch with me via message or this forum and I'll give you the details of how to find us - very easy to find our spot, very close to the stadium. With decent weather, we'll post up early enough to enjoy most of the afternoon tailgating.

Hope to see you then.
Hey Bob

Is this a safe walk?

1. The walk will be fine (decent walk but ok as long as your group doesn't have older folks with difficulty walking distances).

2. Totally safe. There are no safety issues in State College (in terms of what you'd be worried about in a bigger city with bad sections, etc).

3. I'll let others answer the bar questions.

4. If you are bringing food- the grass lots around the stadium are everywhere. If you're buying food- there are places selling food at the BJC across the road from the stadium (not sure if the concession stands in the BJC or baseball stadium are open as well).

Hey there TerreHawk -
Glad you remembered.... hope this means you're a definite and can plan to stop by.
We would love to have you come by and have a drink and something to eat with us. Wifey's friends are not coming, so the Black and Gold will be in short supply around our tailgate.
If you can message me, we can talk details.

Is this a safe walk?

As psuro said, the walk along College Ave will lead you past a bunch of bars on your back to The Atherton. He named some good ones. Pickles on the corner of College and Allen Street, above Zeno's, is a good one, too. They will all be fairly crowded and have a mix of students and alums.
One block up from College is Beaver Ave, and more bars up there. The Phyrst comes to mind. Mad Mex is on Pugh Street just off Beaver, attached to the Days Inn. Always a lot going on there.
College Ave is always full of activity after a game, so no worries about walking back. Check the campus map, but you're going from the extreme East end of campus to the extreme West end, basically. 1.5 miles sounds about right.

Tickets shouldn't be a problem. They have out priced ther market and there are always seats available other than when Ohio State hits town. Buy a parking pass before you get here. Can do online for like $10 rather than $40 on game day.

Tailgating is throughout the fields surrounding the stadium. If you aren't bringing food then are some stands to get basic foot (burgers etc) outside the basketball arena (just across the street from the stadium). Since you'll be wearing Iowa gear you will be likely be invited to others tailgates for some food and drinks. Just smile and be friendly...........it's State College, PA not Columbus. ;)

Hotels/ places to eat,etc-

http://www.visitpennstate.org

http://www.visitstatecollegenow.com

Now that PSU is back in the thick of the b1g East race, I'm not sure that is not going to have a big impact on supply/demand for tickets (i.e., ticket prices - tickers are always available on secondary markets, of which there are many, it's merely a question of what they will cost). This is probably especially true for a quality opponent (i.e., if both PSU and Iowa win this weekend) and a night game..... If both Iowa and PSU win this weekend, I could easily see the tickets going up in price next week, I would buy the tickets now - calling the Iowa Athletic Department is probably the best idea as the other poster advised as I doubt Iowa has sold out their allotment yet....although I'm not sure what "Face Amount" is on a visiting ticket, I'm guessing it's upwards of $100 per.

As psuro said, the walk along College Ave will lead you past a bunch of bars on your back to The Atherton. He named some good ones. Pickles on the corner of College and Allen Street, above Zeno's, is a good one, too. They will all be fairly crowded and have a mix of students and alums.
One block up from College is Beaver Ave, and more bars up there. The Phyrst comes to mind. Mad Mex is on Pugh Street just off Beaver, attached to the Days Inn. Always a lot going on there.
College Ave is always full of activity after a game, so no worries about walking back. Check the campus map, but you're going from the extreme East end of campus to the extreme West end, basically. 1.5 miles sounds about right.

I'm fairly certain that "The Loop", a town bus route runs a football shuttle on football game days that hit the downtown hotels. Might want to check with the front desk at The Atherton if you'd rather not walk.

Reactions: psu00
It looks like when you do a google map from the hotel to the stadium, (walking) it shows you walking through the campus.

Any must see sights on that walk? Looks like it takes past the basketball arena and a few other things.

(on the way back will probably walk back after the game on university to college avenue to hit bars)

It looks like when you do a google map from the hotel to the stadium, (walking) it shows you walking through the campus.

Any must see sights on that walk? Looks like it takes past the basketball arena and a few other things.

(on the way back will probably walk back after the game on university to college avenue to hit bars)

The new hockey arena, Pegula, is directly across the street from the basketball arena. It's pretty nice. Stop at the creamery (before the game) to get ice cream. It's called the Berkey Creamery.

Reactions: Bob78
Hey there TerreHawk -
Glad you remembered.... hope this means you're a definite and can plan to stop by.
We would love to have you come by and have a drink and something to eat with us. Wifey's friends are not coming, so the Black and Gold will be in short supply around our tailgate.
If you can message me, we can talk details.
Can't figure out how to message. No biggie. What lot will you be in? We'll probably be walking through the lots and hitting various tailgates.

I'm fairly certain that "The Loop", a town bus route runs a football shuttle on football game days that hit the downtown hotels. Might want to check with the front desk at The Atherton if you'd rather not walk.

The " Downtown Stadium Shuttle" runs on Beaver Ave (Atherton Hotel essentially fronts Atherton Street and is very close to the corner of College Ave and Beaver Ave in each direction). If staying at Atherton Hotel, you would catch Shuttle on Beaver Ave (as it does the return loop from Stadium the "back way" and comes down Atherton and then makes the right on Beaver.....stops at bus stops going across Beaver, which is one-way toward Pugh Street and stadium....then makes the left at University Drive up to Stadium). Easiest way to catch Shuttle from Hotel is to probably use back entrance on Calder way, walk straight ahead and make first right on "Cresson Aly" which dead-ends into Beaver Ave. Cross Beaver and walk on far side of Beaver with traffic to first bus stop and look for bus labeled "Stadium Shuttle" in lights on the banner that runs over windshield of bus.

Question: What is the policy at PSU with walking around with alcohol? (from hotel and back as well as around outside stadium)

The " Downtown Stadium Shuttle" runs on Beaver Ave (Atherton Hotel essentially fronts Atherton Street and is very close to the corner of College Ave and Beaver Ave in each direction). If staying at Atherton Hotel, you would catch Shuttle on Beaver Ave (as it does the return loop from Stadium the "back way" and comes down Atherton and then makes the right on Beaver.....stops at bus stops going across Beaver, which is one-way toward Pugh Street and stadium....then makes the left at University Drive up to Stadium). Easiest way to catch Shuttle from Hotel is to probably use back entrance on Calder way, walk straight ahead and make first right on "Cresson Aly" which dead-ends into Beaver Ave. Cross Beaver and walk on far side of Beaver with traffic to first bus stop and look for bus labeled "Stadium Shuttle" in lights on the banner that runs over windshield of bus.
Professor B, you are in rare form these days. I think you collected a lot of positive energy from the victory over tOSU.

Others should chime in here, also.

Plenty to see on campus, even in the dark post-game.

I would suggest that rather than walking down University Drive other than to see the Pegula Hockey arena, stay on Curtin Road and walk into campus before turning south toward College Ave. You won't miss any bars if you turn down Shortledge Road (mid-campus part of Shortledge is pedestrian only) and get to College Ave. that way. And that will take you past the Creamery, which you may want to hit at some point during your stay. Once you hit College Ave. there will be plenty of bars to choose from as you make your way west on College to The Atherton.

If you're going to tour campus, I'm sure you'll do that in the daylight. I would suggest you plan time to walk the lengths of the campus a couple times, using a couple streets. The north and south boundaries of campus are Park Ave on the north and College Ave on the south. Through campus are Curtin Road, a block south of Park, and Pollock Rd., a block north of College. Pollock takes you past Old Main, Curtin takes you past the Library and Nittany Lion shrine. You'll get a good flavor of the campus that way.

The Atherton Hotel is between College and Beaver Aves., so you'll get there easily regardless of whatever bar you're walking from.

Can't figure out how to message. No biggie. What lot will you be in? We'll probably be walking through the lots and hitting various tailgates.

Sent you a message. Let me know if you can retrieve it.

Question: What is the policy at PSU with walking around with alcohol? (from hotel and back as well as around outside stadium)
Others can chime in as well, but you'll potentially run into problems if you walk around/through campus and town with an open container. It's a different story when you're up by the stadium in the various tailgate lots. You can generally walk all around the various tailgate lots with an open container and as long as you're not being a complete ass (that goes for fans of both schools!) you should be fine.

No "open container" enforcement at tailgate areas around stadium; HOWEVER, "open container" laws are enforced on-campus and downtown State College (southern border of campus and "downtown State College" are adjacent to one another - i.e., College Ave runs the length of the southside of Campus). I would not drink in downtown State College and/or Campus (outside of Tailgate Areas - they will be obvious as you approach Beaver Stadium) unless you want to get a very hefty summons.

Hit the link for a walking tour of campus. On the map, The Atherton Hotel is located bottom left on Atherton Street in the block between W College Ave and W Beaver Ave.
The stadium is located upper right on the map (designated BVR).

College Avenue essentially divides the town of State College from campus. If on your walk to the stadium you choose to walk through campus instead of town, a few suggestions:

1. From your hotel, walk east one block on College Ave to Burrowes Road. Head north (into campus) on Burrowes to Curtin Rd (this is slightly uphill). At the corner of Burrowes and Curtin is Rec Hall (home of PSU Wrestling and Volleyball) and also The Nittany Lion statue.

2. From there, you can walk east all the way on Curtin to the stadium. The Creamery is about midway on Curtin from the Nittany Lion statue to the stadium if you're up for ice cream (there will be a long line most likely). Alternately, if you have time to veer off path a bit, and want to see a few other campus sites, the HUB (located south of Curtin Road on Pollock Rd) is the student union. The main on-campus bookstore is connected to the HUB so you can go buy some Nittany Lion gear while here. Old Main is also on Pollock, west of the HUB. Between the HUB and Old Main is Veterans Plaza, honoring Penn State alums who served. The curved wall here is dedicated to Lt. Michael Murphy (killed in Afghanistan ~ Lone Survivor).

3. The Penn State Arboretum is the green area on the map on East Park Ave designated ARB. It's a small arboretum but nice.

4. The Bryce Jordan Center is located near the stadium and is open before the game. Same for the Baseball stadium on the other side of Beaver Stadium. At least I think they are still open before the games. I point this out in case you are interested to see other PSU athletic facilities.

Hope you enjoy your visit. Always enjoyed the Hawkeye fans that I've met.

http://admissions.psu.edu/img/maps/Self_Guided_Campus_Tour.pdf

Reactions: Bob78 and terrehawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT