ADVERTISEMENT

Coming to Iowa FB game Nov 5th.

I apologize for not coming back until now. Thanks for all of the great advice. Some very helpful info

Back in January, I reserved a room at a hotel in Clearfield for 2 nights for $185 total. Thought that was good.

Now that housing is taken care of and the game has been declared a night game, we are pretty much set. Just need tickets this summer. Night game should be awesome.

As of now, there are 4 of us coming with another 1 or 2 possible. I'm guessing we get in late friday night after driving all afternoon/evening. Sleep in a bit and then head to SC for the afternoon festivities and the game.

With the hotel only an hour or so down the road, we can probably stick around afterwards and party for a while before heading out.

Hopefully #5 or #6 person that goes is ok with being a DD for us.

4-6 guys in "a room"? Okay, whatever makes you happy.

Just a "warning" - it will take "hours" to get back to the room after the clock hits 0:00 due to parking lot congestion and traffic out of State College - much longer than "an hour or so".

One final comment - don't worry about tickets - they will be easy to obtain up through gameday. A good chance that PSU will have 2 or 3 losses by then and with this being the second night game in 2 weeks, I doubt the stadium is packed.

4-6 guys in "a room"? Okay, whatever makes you happy.

Just a "warning" - it will take "hours" to get back to the room after the clock hits 0:00 due to parking lot congestion and traffic out of State College - much longer than "an hour or so".

One final comment - don't worry about tickets - they will be easy to obtain up through gameday. A good chance that PSU will have 2 or 3 losses by then and with this being the second night game in 2 weeks, I doubt the stadium is packed.
A spot to lay our head is all we need. We are pretty low maintenance as far as accommodations go. We've slept in pretty spartan conditions for hunting/fishing etc. 2 guys to a queen bed and one or 2 on a cot isn't going to hurt anyone. I'm not even above sleeping in the vehicle if need be. Been there, done that...

We fully plan to hang out after the game and party for a bit (mainly if Iowa can pull out a win) and then make our way out once the traffic thins out. Maybe we will get lucky and Iowa can somehow get a big lead and clear out the stands early! :)

Couple questions:

1. Which corner is for the visiting team's locker room entrance?
2. If we were going to be on the visitor side, how far up is recommended for best viewing? I know in Kinnick, it is ideal to be more than 20-25 rows up if you can. I'm thinking like section WG or WC might be our target

Beaver-Stadium-Seating-Chart1-570x570.jpg

I didn't want to disappoint you.

I remember one of the first uses of that piece of advice on here. I believe it was offered up to an obnoxious Michigan fan that opened his post with the phrase 'I come in peace' or something asinine like that and then proceeded to display absolutely no knowledge of Penn State or State College thinking it was near Philly. He then asked if he should wear his jersey for fear he would be beat up (another asinine utterance). Several of our posters seconded the bar recommendation. Laughed my ___ off because everyone on here played it so straight. Your post still made me chuckle EPC.

A spot to lay our head is all we need. We are pretty low maintenance as far as accommodations go. We've slept in pretty spartan conditions for hunting/fishing etc. 2 guys to a queen bed and one or 2 on a cot isn't going to hurt anyone. I'm not even above sleeping in the vehicle if need be. Been there, done that...

We fully plan to hang out after the game and party for a bit (mainly if Iowa can pull out a win) and then make our way out once the traffic thins out. Maybe we will get lucky and Iowa can somehow get a big lead and clear out the stands early! :)

Check out AirBnB or VRBO. You can probably rent a house within 20 mins of the stadium for $2,000-$3,000 for at least two nights. Definitely get into town as early as possible on Friday and hang out downtown (College Ave and Beaver Ave). Tickets will be easier to come by because it's a November game and demand is never as high because a lot of people anticipate shitty Central PA weather.

Check out AirBnB or VRBO. You can probably rent a house within 20 mins of the stadium for $2,000-$3,000 for at least two nights. Definitely get into town as early as possible on Friday and hang out downtown (College Ave and Beaver Ave). Tickets will be easier to come by because it's a November game and demand is never as high because a lot of people anticipate shitty Central PA weather.
Thanks. Sorry, I'm sure that was confusing. Earlier I posted that we already have hotel arrangements in Clearfield. So We should be good to go.

We won't get in until late friday night so we will probably sleep in a bit on Saturday and make our way over to SC around noon.

I hadn't considered weather. Definitely something to keep in mind as we travel. Would hate to have hotel and tickets set up and then not be able to get there. Snowy conditions can be a blast for games if it isn't too windy. Travel....not so much.

Thanks. Sorry, I'm sure that was confusing. Earlier I posted that we already have hotel arrangements in Clearfield. So We should be good to go.

We won't get in until late friday night so we will probably sleep in a bit on Saturday and make our way over to SC around noon.

I hadn't considered weather. Definitely something to keep in mind as we travel. Would hate to have hotel and tickets set up and then not be able to get there. Snowy conditions can be a blast for games if it isn't too windy. Travel....not so much.

I don't think you have to worry so much about snow. But there is nothing worse than 40 degrees and rain!

Reactions: step.eng69
Make sure you stop at CHUMLEY'S for a drink.
I 've heard CHUMLEY'S mentioned on this board a few times and thinking that I don't remember a CHUMLEY'S 47 years ago. Aside from eating at the Deli, the once GBman, the once Damon's, etc. I haven't been bar flying in SC for decades. I finally searched the bar...and found the following interesting tidbit:

923290_10151401280777532_1030641500_n.jpg

Visitor tickets are in a Terrible location
Most PSU fans will welcome you to their area with some joshing.
Visiting team bench is on the west side of stadium.

That's a VERY good idea. I would make sure you have enough food and drink and figure to tailgate at least 2 hours after the game and more likely 3 hours instead of sitting in your car traveling at a snail's pace for hours. Then you will be able to just jump in your car and drive to your hotel.

I remember one of the first uses of that piece of advice on here. I believe it was offered up to an obnoxious Michigan fan that opened his post with the phrase 'I come in peace' or something asinine like that and then proceeded to display absolutely no knowledge of Penn State or State College thinking it was near Philly. He then asked if he should wear his jersey for fear he would be beat up (another asinine utterance). Several of our posters seconded the bar recommendation. Laughed my ___ off because everyone on here played it so straight. Your post still made me chuckle EPC.

Wendy's letter needs to go nationwide. If nothing else but to raise eyebrows and embarrass the media.

Dang, I thought Kinnick traffic was bad. That sounds horrible. Must not be very wide streets throughout the city
We got stuck in a very bad lot--that I didn't even know existed. And we were *early*. Happens sometimes.

We may be asking you guys for some pointers, as I hope to come out next season. Mrs KG wants to visit Iowa to see where her grandfather came from (Burlington area).

You can leave your car in the parking lot after the game and walk downtown (about 20 minute walk) and hit the bars for the last few hours before they close and head back to get you car and all the traffic should be cleared up. Way past my bedtime but you guy's may be in better partying shape than me - it was a gift that I lost after lack of usage.

Reactions: terrehawk
We got stuck in a very bad lot--that I didn't even know existed. And we were *early*. Happens sometimes.

We may be asking you guys for some pointers, as I hope to come out next season. Mrs KG wants to visit Iowa to see where her grandfather came from (Burlington area).
Make a post on the Iowa board. There will be lots of helpful posts. there used to be an actual website dedicated solely to visitors coming to Iowa City. I'm sure it is still out there it just might not be exactly up to date. Not much has changed though!

Reactions: kgilbert78
Geez, lots of very good, cordial information here. Why can't we be cordial among ourselves?

Terrehawk and Hawkifann -

My wife has invited friends to the game who are Iowa fans. They lived in a small town in western Iowa (Treynor? Frozenpeas? ;-) ) for 20 or so years before moving to Maryland about 15ish years ago. I think they said yes to coming. Anyway, if they do, they will be lonely Iowa fans at our tailgate. You and your entourages are welcome to stop by our tailgate as you make your rounds and say hello and have a drink and talk Hawkeyes football with them. And with us.

Whether these friends come up or not, closer to game day, get in touch with me via message or this forum and I'll give you the details of how to find us - very easy to find our spot, very close to the stadium. With decent weather, we'll post up early enough to enjoy most of the afternoon tailgating.

Hope to see you then.

Hello again. I am checking in and getting excited for football to begin.

Thanks again for all the advice thus far. I'm generally fairly impatient and kind of want to get th ticket situation taken care of sooner rather than later.

As of now, we need 4 tickets. Would love to have them on the visitor sideline in the black but might settle for Red. anyone have 4 good tickets they would sell right now for face value?

Would like to be between 20-40 rows up between the 30's if possible.

Looks like these are the face amounts.

Black Red
$120 $105

Thanks again for all the advice thus far. I'm generally fairly impatient and kind of want to get th ticket situation taken care of sooner rather than later.

As of now, we need 4 tickets. Would love to have them on the visitor sideline in the black but might settle for Red. anyone have 4 good tickets they would sell right now for face value?

You're likely to have more success on the Ticket Exchange board. CLICK HERE to go to BWI's Ticket Exchange message board.

Hello again. I am checking in and getting excited for football to begin.

Would like to be between 20-40 rows up between the 30's if possible.

Looks like these are the face amounts.

Black Red
$120 $105

Night games can be a pretty tough ticket so you might have some trouble getting someone to give them up for face value. Just for the halibut I had a look at Stubhub and tix in the sections you're talking about are starting at $170 per, which is about what I would expect. Something for you to be aware of if you're shopping the resale market is that the row numbering on the sidelines starts with letters A through T so the row numbers you're looking for are actually rows 1 through 20, not 20 through 40.

Also, I don't recall if it was mentioned in this thread before or not, but if you're driving in, make certain to contact the ticket office and buy a pre-paid parking pass (they'll mail you one) before game day. Pre-paid parking = $15. Game day parking = $40. and that's all to park in a part-time cow pasture....and yes....you might have to step around a cowpie or two. That's all a bit inhospitable if you ask me but it is what it is.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your trip.

Edit: Oh, and one other thing; Coach James Franklin is nowhere near the hot seat.

I've been to Iowa City but Happy Valley on game day is a special place to be.The town and campus will give you chills and there will be tons of Iowa fans walking the streets.Get downtown early,,go tailgate and enjoy the game.

Last edited:
I apologize for not coming back until now. Thanks for all of the great advice. Some very helpful info

Back in January, I reserved a room at a hotel in Clearfield for 2 nights for $185 total. Thought that was good.

Now that housing is taken care of and the game has been declared a night game, we are pretty much set. Just need tickets this summer. Night game should be awesome.

As of now, there are 4 of us coming with another 1 or 2 possible. I'm guessing we get in late friday night after driving all afternoon/evening. Sleep in a bit and then head to SC for the afternoon festivities and the game.

With the hotel only an hour or so down the road, we can probably stick around afterwards and party for a while before heading out.

Hopefully #5 or #6 person that goes is ok with being a DD for us.

Good idea. Since its night game and I assume you'll be in the lots, expect to stay there for at least least an hour+ before getting out. Only way out sooner is to leave in the 3rd quarter, hope its a blowout or the weather is crappy.

Night games can be a pretty tough ticket so you might have some trouble getting someone to give them up for face value. Just for the halibut I had a look at Stubhub and tix in the sections you're talking about are starting at $170 per, which is about what I would expect. Something for you to be aware of if you're shopping the resale market is that the row numbering on the sidelines starts with letters A through T so the row numbers you're looking for are actually rows 1 through 20, not 20 through 40.

Also, I don't recall if it was mentioned in this thread before or not, but if you're driving in, make certain to contact the ticket office and buy a pre-paid parking pass (they'll mail you one) before game day. Pre-paid parking = $15. Game day parking = $40. and that's all to park in a part-time cow pasture....and yes....you might have to step around a cowpie or two. That's all a bit inhospitable if you ask me but it is what it is.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your trip.

Edit: Oh, and one other thing; Coach James Franklin is nowhere near the hot seat.
Thanks So the rows at the bottom, by the field start at the letter A and go through T and then start at 1 and go up from there?

If that's right, then row 1 is actually the 19th row?

So for example, section WE, row 39 is actually in row 57?

I'm also not opposed to paying a bit above face value if need be.....just hoped I could take some good tickets off of someone's hands so they get out to good use!

Last edited:
Thanks So the rows at the bottom, by the field start at the letter A and go through T and then start at 1 and go up from there?

That's correct

I think 20th but that's about right.

about right.

I'm also not opposed to paying a bit above face value if need be.....just hoped I could take some good tickets off of someone's hands so they get out to good use!

good luck with that.

See above

Row 40 is the last row in the lower bowl ("Below the railing" is how I always refer to it). I suspect you'll be happy with anything on the sidelines below the railing but that's just a guess. For pre-game festivities you'll want to be in your seat 20 minutes before kickoff, and give yourself at least 10, maybe 15 minutes to get there. It's worth it. Another tightly held secret is that after the post-game band performance the drum corps gathers at midfield facing the visitor's sideline and plays a 10 minute or so drum concert. I always stay late at least once a season to catch that.

The stadium used to be 'U' shaped and be around a track. As it grew over the years, the track was removed and seating was added to bring it closer to the field. If you look at the attached pic you will see a dark band of seating in the stands down low near field level. Those were the added seats that go 'A through T' (IIRC). Then it starts at 1 to 40 which is the last row in the lower bowl beneath the walkway at the upper portals. Rows 41- 80 (or so, forget last row number) are above the walkway going up to the boxes.

th

The stadium used to be 'U' shaped and be around a track. As it grew over the years, the track was removed and seating was added to bring it closer to the field. If you look at the attached pic you will see a dark band of seating in the stands down low near field level. Those were the added seats that go 'A through T' (IIRC). Then it starts at 1 to 40 which is the last row in the lower bowl beneath the walkway at the upper portals. Rows 41- 80 (or so, forget last row number) are above the walkway going up to the boxes.

th
Actually. in 1978, the whole stadium was jacked up (I am not kidding) and the new seats (about 25 rows) were built underneath, and then they lowered the old par onto the new foundations. See photo below. Pretty wild. As my dorm and room faced the stadium, I got to watch some of this happening.

16140051-standard.jpg

Another shot.... The round posts here show where the new sections were to go. tOSU did sonething similar, though they dug down instead.
5221747254.jpg

This should be an epic game to attend....love to fit it into our road trips to follow our beloved hawkeyes. Love road trips to legendary football schools like PSU, where rhe fans truly love their school and football. Nits could surprise this year...definitely Iowa's toughest roadie this season. Go Hawks!

This should be an epic game to attend....love to fit it into our road trips to follow our beloved hawkeyes. Love road trips to legendary football schools like PSU, where rhe fans truly love their school and football. Nits could surprise this year...definitely Iowa's toughest roadie this season. Go Hawks!
Were I younger, I might give it a go. But I'm to the point/age where a night game is best on TV. Still, we'll probably give Iowa City a shot next season, and I'm expecting a night game for that too. Your stripe out looks nice under the lights.

Actually. in 1978, the whole stadium was jacked up (I am not kidding) and the new seats (about 25 rows) were built underneath, and then they lowered the old par onto the new foundations. See photo below. Pretty wild. As my dorm and room faced the stadium, I got to watch some of this happening.

16140051-standard.jpg

Yep. I just tried to answer his question in simplest terms so he had a better idea of seating. Great pic through. I had not seen that one before.

Last edited:
Yep. I just tried to answer his question in simplest terms so he had a better idea of seating. Great pic through. I halve not seen that one before.
I did a little google work and found them. Worth the look. All of my views in real life were from the outside, so it was interesting to see it from the inside. I wonder if they had a Blue White game in the spring of 1978. I wasn't on campus then, as I was doing my Study Abroad that spring.

Reactions: psu00
Note: you will likely be treated 1000% percent better than PSU fan attending a PSU game at Iowa.

Also, please come back and post about your game experience.

Note: you will likely be treated 1000% percent better than PSU fan attending a PSU game at Iowa.

Also, please come back and post about your game experience.

I went to the last PSU game at Iowa, I've never been treated worse. Sure was great to watch them file out early as PSU crushed them.

See above

Row 40 is the last row in the lower bowl ("Below the railing" is how I always refer to it). I suspect you'll be happy with anything on the sidelines below the railing but that's just a guess. For pre-game festivities you'll want to be in your seat 20 minutes before kickoff, and give yourself at least 10, maybe 15 minutes to get there. It's worth it. Another tightly held secret is that after the post-game band performance the drum corps gathers at midfield facing the visitor's sideline and plays a 10 minute or so drum concert. I always stay late at least once a season to catch that.

I just bought our tickets. they are in Section WB Row 28. They start at row D and go up to U and then start at 1 so I am guessing these are at least 50 rows from the field? I was hoping for better seats but these will have to do.

$150 on ticketmaster plus all there fees ended up $165/ticket.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT