ADVERTISEMENT

Clarion Open

Joe Lee on 5 against Jones of WVU

Missed the first TD but he’s up 2-0...Jones out now and Lee passes him by for another TD...Lee cuts him and goes front headlock, hips in and puts him to his back...kid turns over and Lee trying to Zain ride now...not tight enough to secure a leg and turn but he rides him out and is up 10-2 after 1 with over 2 mind riding time

Lee takes down...gets the reversal and then there’s an escape...TD, restart, cradle for backs and it’s a Tech 18-3

Last edited:
Just watched Nick Lee with a major win in the first round 15-4?
Lee is always busy and dominated the bout. But he is awfully small at 141. His opponent from Pitt looked to be much bigger.

re: El-Jefe's comment about Brian Kennerly. Kennerly is a bit of an enigma. His initial step is cat quick. He looks like a lightweight when he moves. But he doesn't move much. I've seen him wrestle many times and he can be a monster or he can be a complete bust.
At states last year, he won on mutual stalling calls. He just had one less call than his opponent. When he is motivated or when his head is on right, he can do great things. But his head isn't on right very often.

Glad you got your eyes for todays show.:p

Tracks biz model isnt great right now when you also have flo with more content. i am thinking of dropping the $ for NWCA match but didnt decide yet due to these girls soccer games on sundays. no respect for football by these ladies teams:oops::rolleyes:;).

Yes. Track is annoying me right now. Geared toward's families of wrestlers and not wrestling fans. I'm debating the same on the NWCA match. Don't really want to.... but Hall-Valencia!

Dang, did I just miss Shak?!?!

Just flipped to 9 and saw him walk across the screen pullng his straps down I think

Just watched Nick Lee with a major win in the first round 15-4?
Lee is always busy and dominated the bout. But he is awfully small at 141. His opponent from Pitt looked to be much bigger.
n.

Interesting. I thought he looked like nice size 141. Similar to Zain his freshman year

Reactions: diggerpup
also love seeing Chance on the mat. hard road back, but so glad he taking it. Lungs look good, movement solid. just great seeing him.

Dang, did I just miss Shak?!?!

Just flipped to 9 and saw him walk across the screen pullng his straps down I think

yep i missed it too....but he didnt leave us much time to switch over Fall in 1:22

lesson learned bringing up multiple screens now.

BoP up now on 4 against Mason of CSU

Single, scramble, 2 for Bo...hunting for cradles on top then flips him by other means for backs and then gets him to jus back again for the pin this time...Lemonpie goes crazy!!!

So what does Shak look like at 197? Like he could get to 184 if need be, or finally at his natural weight?

Missed all of Friery to this point but he’s up on mat 5...down 12-7 in the 3rd...it ends 14-7

To me he still looked a bit like a tweener. He looked big enough to definitely be competitive at 197 but also looked like he could still get down to 184 if needed.

Yep. It's the first time I watched him and didn't think he looked like a complete monster for his weight. He certified near the deadline (under 197), presumably to certify at 184 in case of an emergency. Might have taken some effort to do so as he certified a couple weeks after everyone else.

Still a fine sized 197.

Chance Marsteller looked like his old self on his feet. The other kid was helpless against him, even though his opponent was actually pretty good. But it also looked like Chance was gassing a bit. He had tried to turn his opponent earlier in the bout but was getting nowhere with that. So he turned to catch and release and it looked like his opponent just gave up. It was embarrassing. But Chance looked like he was sucking wind at the end - kinda slow to return to the center after oob, that kind of thing.

Upcoming:

133 consis - Carpenter vs Driscoll (Clarion)
141 - NLee vs Driscoll (Kent St)
149 - Pipher vs Ontiveros (UVU)
157 - JLee vs Thomas (Pitt)
157 consis - Friery vs Phillips (Ohio)
197 - Rasheed vs Gomez (UVU)

Interesting. I thought he looked like nice size 141. Similar to Zain his freshman year

Yes, if anything the concern I had was that N. Lee was outgrowing 141. He looked off in the third period at times last year and I attributed that to a large cut. Something to keep an eye on as he progresses through the tournament.

I thought both Lee brothers looked right for their weights. Both had a ton of activity and neither tired at all.
Missed BoP, but Rasheed looked a tad small at 197, but he does look much stronger now.

Yes, if anything the concern I had was that N. Lee was outgrowing 141. He looked off in the third period at times last year and I attributed that to a large cut. Something to keep an eye on as he progresses through the tournament.

That said about his growth, I could see a Zain-like plan for him. Wrestle 141 this year as true-frosh (for team points), redshirt next year (while Berge mans 149), then go 149 in 2019-20 (w/ Berge bumping up to 157 or shirting w/ J. Lee or Verkleeren @ 157).

If Brown is just gonna sit behind Moisey at WVU, he should just head over to PSU and join our group of 125 lbers...

That said about his growth, I could see a Zain-like plan for him. Wrestle 141 this year as true-frosh (for team points), redshirt next year (while Berge mans 149), then go 149 in 2019-20 (w/ Berge bumping up to 157 or shirting w/ J. Lee or Verkleeren @ 157).
With Berge shirting this year, he won’t be able to in 2019-20.

Upcoming:

133 consis - Carpenter vs Driscoll (Clarion)
141 - NLee vs Driscoll (Kent St)
149 - Pipher vs Ontiveros (UVU)
157 - JLee vs Thomas (Pitt)
157 consis - Friery vs Phillips (Ohio)
197 - Rasheed vs Gomez (UVU)

Driscoll was the starter last year for Kent State finished 21-17 and 7th at MACs.

Ontiveros is a rsJR , redshirted last year. Beat Taylor Ortz in the first round, I watched it and he rode Ortz the entire 2nd period and then got a TD in the 3rd. Won 4 or 5-0. Yesterday, Ortz beat Grant Lamont in OT, so I'm guessing the Ontiveros kid will be pretty tough.

Gage Thomas is the PA kid from Southwestern, now at Pitt Johnstown. Redshirted as a frosh, was decent in HS.

Gomez not a starter for UVU.

Hoping for a sweep in this championship round, but Pipher will have a real test I'm guessing.

Driscoll was the starter last year for Kent State finished 21-17 and 7th at MACs.

Ontiveros is a rsJR , redshirted last year. Beat Taylor Ortz in the first round, I watched it and he rode Ortz the entire 2nd period and then got a TD in the 3rd. Won 4 or 5-0. Yesterday, Ortz beat Grant Lamont in OT, so I'm guessing the Ontiveros kid will be pretty tough.

Gage Thomas is the PA kid from Southwestern, now at Pitt Johnstown. Redshirted as a frosh, was decent in HS.

Gomez not a starter for UVU.

Hoping for a sweep in this championship round, but Pipher will have a real test I'm guessing.
You’re always the man when it comes to filling us in on the guys we’re facing. Saves me the time Googling it all. Appreciate it immensely!

Schnupp beats Brown
Like to think so, but will defer judgement until we see Schnupp on the mat this year.

Cael saying it is a battle between him, Lopez, and Clabaugh doesn't give me the warm fuzzies about that, but that could also just be coach speak and obviously Schnupp is getting the nod first.

Brown went 7-17 last year and was a bonus point machine -- for the opponents.

To borrow a phase: Cael could go across the street to West Halls if he wanted that.

That’s what I get for watching him against 1 shmoe and making a snap judgement...someone made him look good today

Like to think so, but will defer judgement until we see Schnupp on the mat this year.

Cael saying it is a battle between him, Lopez, and Clabaugh doesn't give me the warm fuzzies about that, but that could also just be coach speak and obviously Schnupp is getting the nod first.

Coachspeak. Schnupp is the guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT