ADVERTISEMENT

Mat Town Open II

Per Flo Arena, action starts tomorrow around noon, so we'll see someone else vs Maryland, it looks like.
PSU Entries:
  • 141 Kasak & Evans
  • 174 Borden
  • 184 Kelly & Barr (unattached)
  • 197 Cochran & Fricchione (unattached)
149 for Kasak and Evans.

You had me confused / concerned :).

Getting them the matches they need for seeding and a wrestle off, it seems.

SOAB, why not just put Pierce in the match notes for crying out loud? They had to know Kasak would not be going this weekend last Wednesday. Well that's at least one match doesn't count for KYPSW.

Selfishly, I am hoping Kasak runs the table and settles this thing for good. No disrespect to Evans whatsoever but, I think Kasak may have a shot at AA this year and we need those points.... for some reason :). Plus, according to my 3D chess we need him on Redshirt next year, no?

• Haha
Reactions: LHavenlion
Per Flo Arena, action starts tomorrow around noon, so we'll see someone else vs Maryland, it looks like.
PSU Entries:
  • 149 Kasak & Evans
  • 174 Borden
  • 184 Kelly & Barr (unattached)
  • 197 Cochran & Fricchione (unattached)
Wrestling starts at 9:30am for Mat Town.

I think I'm taking my kid to watch for a couple hours and leave in time to watch the team at noon.

149 for Kasak and Evans.

You had me confused / concerned :).

Getting them the matches they need for seeding and a wrestle off, it seems.
Sorry for the typo heart attack. And I misread flo’s start time—they have it as 12:30am, but 9:30 makes a lot more sense.

SOAB, why not just put Pierce in the match notes for crying out loud? They had to know Kasak would not be going this weekend last Wednesday. Well that's at least one match doesn't count for KYPSW.

Selfishly, I am hoping Kasak runs the table and settles this thing for good. No disrespect to Evans whatsoever but, I think Kasak may have a shot at AA this year and we need those points.... for some reason :). Plus, according to my 3D chess we need him on Redshirt next year, no?
At 141, I think they’re both AAs. At 149, I’m a little concerned Evans might be a bit undersized. Some of us were thinking he would be our 133 after RBY. I could be wrong, though.

Last edited:

I'm not saying you're wrong about the match notes--but Cael seemed to indicate in his availability that these guys would be in L.H. this weekend. Key will be for both to get D1 matches in at the weight for coaches ranking (8), and maybe RPI (15). Maybe also the higher-placer wins the slot, maybe not. I'm confident the coaches will pick the guy they think will move the needle most in the postseason.

21 entrants at 149; hopefully, they can each get in at least 4 matches
If they can get in 4 matches, then one of them can be eligible for RPI after B10s. Which will greatly help their case for an at-large (if needed) and get them a much better seed.

Kasak is 3-0 and Evans 2-0 this year. (Their 141 matches don't count toward any 149 criteria.) After this weekend, 5 duals remain.

Why wrestle Kasak attached tomorrow. He can wrestle unattached and still keep one date, right?

Reactions: Jayhouse
Why wrestle Kasak attached tomorrow. He can wrestle unattached and still keep one date, right?
You're correct.

The reason would be if he has already won the job. Another would be so that the coaches can be in his corner.

Either that or a mistake in the registration list.

EDIT: on 2nd thought, I'm wrong. Mat Town is his 5th competition date regardless of attached vs unattached.

Last edited:
Looks like this is the final evaluation for Tyler and Dave. I know Tyler beat him earlier but it was at 141. Both haven't lost at 149, Tyler has obviously looked slightly better in his results (particularly the Rooks match) but overall, this is the most fair way to determine.
It seems to me preserving Kasak's redshirt for next year is the trump card. I think Tyler is the better wrestler, and tomorrow may prove that out once again, but even if not, redshirting Tyler this year does not show much value unless he can drop back down to 141 and take out Beau next year. Am I missing something?

It seems to me preserving Kasak's redshirt for next year is the trump card. I think Tyler is the better wrestler, and tomorrow may prove that out once again, but even if not, redshirting Tyler this year does not show much value unless he can drop back down to 141 and take out Beau next year. Am I missing something?
If you think Kasak is the better wrestler and can AA, you wrestle him IMO. You never know what can happen and so you take advantage of opportunities when they are in front of you.

If you don’t think he can AA, then you preserve the shirt even if he’s the better wrestler between the two, IMO.

Can he still wrestle unattached after officially wrestling attached??
Barr is listed as unattached and wrestled attached for the dual with Indiana. My best guess with Kasak going is to get more matches so it is easier to earn the conference and allocation. He goes here, probably goes 4-0, takes him to 7-0 at 149. There are 5 more duals after tomorrow but will have Demilio and Lovett. He can get to the .700 win% and the 8 match minimum at the weight. That would be the 2 of 3 standards needed to earn the conference and allocation.

Reactions: hlstone
I'm confident the coaches will pick the guy they think will move the needle most in the postseason.

Same here. And this is a good reminder that as amazing as CCC are, this is not a mathematical equation. There is subjective assessment, judgment, academic status considerations, and even human error injected into the selection process, along with other fan unknowns.

We all remember how the Cassar/Shak decision played out. I'm sure there are plenty of examples where starting lineup/redshirt decisions turned out great or not so great. Those decision can be debated by us less informed masses. What can't be debated are the 10 national championship banners CCC have achieved.

Brackets just came out on FloArena. Kasak, Barr, and Cochran all #1’s. Hoping to see a clear separation from Kasak today, love Evans too, though🙂

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Brackets just came out on FloArena. Kasak, Barr, and Cochran all #1’s. Hoping to see a clear separation from Kasak today, love Evans too, though🙂
They won’t meet till the finals. Good.

The 2 seed at 149 is Munch who Kasak beat 7-5 in the dual. Evan’s the 7 seed. Lehigh also has the 3, 4 and 5 seed at this weight.

Reactions: mcpat
The 2 seed at 149 is Munch who Kasak beat 7-5 in the dual. Evan’s the 7 seed. Lehigh also has the 3, 4 and 5 seed at this weight.
If they wrestle to seed, then #7 Evans should see #2 Munch in the quarter finals.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT