ADVERTISEMENT

Clarion Open

Not sure but think his clock would still be clicking could be wrong cause I'm not really up on some stuff..

You are correct. There are a few exceptions, like being in the military, that stop the clock, but not being in school is not one of them so Cassar is a RS Junior. He would seem to be a prime candidate for a 6th year, assuming he wants it.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
And following up on the press conference, Cael will wrestle Cortez in the duals and Lee in the Opens until he gets a feel for what to do with Nick Lee. Seemed to work out OK for that Hall kid last year.

Hall? Never heard of him.

Reactions: diggerpup
I think the inference is that the starters don't hit the opens. In which case, with Lopez at Princeton, that leaves Schnupp as the starter.

Not sure if that holds with Clabaugh since he joined the team late. He's probably behind the others, and an open would help him catch up and see how he fares outside the room.

I think the inference is that the starters don't hit the opens. In which case, with Lopez at Princeton, that leaves Schnupp as the starter.

Not sure if that holds with Clabaugh since he joined the team late. He's probably behind the others, and an open would help him catch up and see how he fares outside the room.

True for established starters. IMHO, with a bunch of frosh in the hunt with no starting experience and starter not determined per Cael I don't think who is wrestling in opens tells us much about who the starter will be. Just like at 141 and 197 (and maybe 133) I wouldn't be surprised if the starter is not decided on until after the Scuffle.

Reactions: Needanap

That was my inference. Sorry I did not clarify when I posted. Thank you.

True for established starters. IMHO, with a bunch of frosh in the hunt with no starting experience and starter not determined per Cael I don't think who is wrestling in opens tells us much about who the starter will be. Just like at 141 and 197 (and maybe 133) I wouldn't be surprised if the starter is not decided on until after the Scuffle.
I had the pleasure of talking with young Mr. Keener this morning and he seems to be really enjoying is Penn State experience. We did not discuss it directly, but I was left with the impression that as long as healthy Corey is our 133 pounder.

Reactions: PSUaggie
I had the pleasure of talking with young Mr. Keener this morning and he seems to be really enjoying is Penn State experience. We did not discuss it directly, but I was left with the impression that as long as healthy Corey is our 133 pounder.
One other observation from this morning.
Bo is a very big man.

brackets are finally up and wrestling slated to start at 9a

Sheed #1 seed at 197
NLee #3 seed at 141
JLee unseeded 157
Carpenter unseeded at 133
Pipher unseeded at 149
Friery unseeded at 157

Clabaugh in the barrel right away. he is in the hole on mat 1 Oliver from Indiana. Who isnt a world beater, but certainly a good test this young guy only a few months removed from being a normal PSU coed.

Reactions: nitlion6
Sheed #1 seed at 197
NLee #3 seed at 141
JLee unseeded 157
Carpenter unseeded at 133
Pipher unseeded at 149
Friery unseeded at 157
Did Shak’s body of work at 2 & 3 classes lower justify this, or are only 2 guys enetered? More serious question, if his career had been optimized only for him and without regard for the roster, would he have been targeting 184 from the start?

I’d love to see him have more consistent success at any weight - love his style in general.

Clabaugh draws NCAA qualifier Elijah Oliver (Indiana) in Round 1.

3 seed Nick Lee should get Brock Zacherl in the finals. Kyle Shoop (Lock Haven) got the 2 seed. Brian Courtney got the 5 seed.

Pipher has a nice draw for a run. Would get Sam Krivus in the semis if he gets that far.

Friery faces Bye, then most likely gets 3 seed Sparkman (Kent State).

Joe Lee doesn't face a seeded wrestler until the quarters. Not the best bracket, maybe he makes a run to the finals? (He'd get Cam Coy there.)

Rasheed should win, and I don't think anyone touches him. Not exactly a Yarygin bracket. Am interested to see how Brian Kennerly does at 197, he was a very big and very strong HS 220 last year.

Clabaugh in the barrel right away. he is in the hole on mat 1 Oliver from Indiana. Who isnt a world beater, but certainly a good test this young guy only a few months removed from being a normal PSU coed.
Oliver is the one that might just as well have turned around and run straight away from that kid that left to go to NJ.

Good test, dunk???? Man you are certainly more optimistic than me. I'm thinking that we are not getting out of this match with people thinking we've found our 125 savior here. I'd expect it to be a rude welcome to the world of NCAA wrestling for Mr. Clabaugh, hope I'm wrong.

No disrespect intended, but it's very difficult - maybe next to impossible - for a walk on kid to come in and compete with a NCAA qualifier type guy after a month or so. Maybe down the line, but I'll be really surprised if we are competitive in this match. That's really an unrealistic expectation at this point.

Last edited:
Clabaugh up on 1 now

Down 2-1 after 1 And didn’t look bad...Oliver makes him look big

Oliver starts on bottom...sits and hooks out...Oliver locks up a cradle from neutral for the TD but can’t turn it and Clab gets the escape, it’s 5-2...Oliver with the double and ride out to go into the third up 7-2.

Clab starts down and is out and then doubled to his back for 2 and 2...Clab out and taken back down 20 secs later...Oliver cuts him now and it’s a bit of a TD clinic in the 3rd...Oliver rides out for the 16-5 win

Last edited:
Carp on mat 2 against Spann of Buffalo

Low single lifted late in the period, but Carp can’t convert, its 0-0 after 1

Spann starts down and gets ridden for over a minute now...Carp got nailed for stalling (apparently twice) and rides him out all 2 minutes

Carp starts down and nearly gets out on the way she but runs out of mat...riding time erased now...can’t get out, loses 1-0

Last edited:
Good test, dunk???? Man you are certainly more optimistic than me. I'm thinking that we are not getting out of this match with people thinking we've found our 125 savior here. I'd expect it to be a rude welcome to the world of NCAA wrestling for Mr. Clabaugh, hope I'm wrong.

No disrespect intended, but it's very difficult - maybe next to impossible - for a walk on kid to come in and compete with a NCAA qualifier type guy after a month or so. Maybe down the line, but I'll be really surprised if we are competitive in this match. That's really an unrealistic expectation at this point.
i tried my roar hat on, it was tight. my lemon pie one still a bit big.

probably just go with the knit hat from here on out.

PS- I knew it was schnups spot (like I knew NLee would be here too) but it will be a long season regardless at 125.

Lee up now on 3 against Means

2 TD Lee...lets him up and then hits a hi-c for another TD...riding tough now with bars and halves...sw on Means...4-1 after 1 with 1:55 of RT

Means takes bottom...gets put and taken down with a single...Nolf like top approach and releases and then TD again...runs out of time for the turn and ends at 8-3

Lee goes down and gets out in :14...gets another 2 and let’s him up...another single for a TD...stalling on Means...stalling again...Lee rides out for 4:43 of RT and the 16-4 win

Last edited:
No turns, but 4:43 of riding time. Was probably 10 seconds from a pinning combination at the end of the 2nd period.

that poor kids shoulder...damn he worked it. but he didnt go over.
NLee w 16-4 Mdec. he could have TF but decided to work his top game

No turns, but 4:43 of riding time. Was probably 10 seconds from a pinning combination at the end of the 2nd period.
Glad you got your eyes for todays show.:p

Tracks biz model isnt great right now when you also have flo with more content. i am thinking of dropping the $ for NWCA match but didnt decide yet due to these girls soccer games on sundays. no respect for football by these ladies teams:oops::rolleyes:;).

ADVERTISEMENT