ADVERTISEMENT

Clarion Open

Which is fine to assert that, but to say something like Flo doesn't have a deep-rooted passion for the sport of wrestling because they make a living out of it just isn't fair.

You can make money from the sport and still have a deep-rooted passion. It's not fair to expect people to invest in our sport and constantly operate in the red. Why? Because then your love and passion is lesser? I think we can all agree that we want to be a major sport with coverage from media outlets to get the athletes in our sport the proper accolades for their accomplishments. That doesn't happen without people investing. If people are going to invest, they need to see a return, or it isn't worth it.

I know that that got ramble-y, and it wasn't directed at you, but it just doesn't seem fair to me that if people see a profit, they're all of a sudden lesser in the eyes of our sport. It's contradictory.

I don't think people are seeing it the way you are taking it. Most of us know wrestling as a sport of discipline, humility, and respect. The Flo's of the world are sensationalizing even the plain-vanilla stuff so they can make a buck. I find that inconsistent with the core values of the sport.

The video title (and many others before it) was not made with the intent of "growing wrestling". It was done to grow subscriptions. I'd be pissed if I signed up for FloPro because I thought there was something "must-see" in that video, only to find a no-big-deal close decision. Therein lies the issue with honesty and credibility.

Reactions: jtothemfp and Gebmo
Which is fine to assert that, but to say something like Flo doesn't have a deep-rooted passion for the sport of wrestling because they make a living out of it just isn't fair.

You can make money from the sport and still have a deep-rooted passion. It's not fair to expect people to invest in our sport and constantly operate in the red. Why? Because then your love and passion is lesser? I think we can all agree that we want to be a major sport with coverage from media outlets to get the athletes in our sport the proper accolades for their accomplishments. That doesn't happen without people investing. If people are going to invest, they need to see a return, or it isn't worth it.

I know that that got ramble-y, and it wasn't directed at you, but it just doesn't seem fair to me that if people see a profit, they're all of a sudden lesser in the eyes of our sport. It's contradictory.

are people on here saying what your implying? I know the haters blast them across the interwebs for this but Im not seeing it here. might be me on that.

Me personally, i could care less if they had a headline that PD3 was an alien love child. I would click on it, sit through the 10 sec rocket mortgage commercial and read about sex on a spaceship and love every second of it.

but dont tell me we dont do things for clicks when its obvious they do. They have to for their business model.

Also, I dont like being told we are or are not journalists depending on the situation.

Be what you are and be happy about it.

For the record my opinion of Flo is its one of the best things to happen to the sport of wrestling maybe ever. That doesnt mean they should have a free pass with inconsistencies promoted by their personalities.

A dangerous game because they are trading in their credibility and if it gets low enough, people will start to ignore even the legitimate headlines. This article tag is sensationalizing a close, rather ho-hum match. Over the past several months they have continuously juggled their recruiting rankings to make sure there was always a high ranked guy uncommitted so they had a future headline when they did commit. Flo content is well worth the money, imo, however their emphasis on clicks does get old.
The drive for clicks doesn't bother me. It is part of the gig. Heck, I spend part of the day reading different newspaper articles, or papers on subject material that interests me. Not much different between a NYT headline or a Flo headline. Both want my attention and each has only a couple of words to grab my attention, so make it count.

Flo and Track have done a tremendous amount of work to make our sport more visible. And they've done so at considerable business risk.

I can live with a few sensational headlines if it keeps them rolling and puts wrestling in the limelight.

Reactions: dsauer22
  1. I rolled my eyes at the headline and moved on.
  2. We have to get used to the fact that a large majority of US wrestling fans will be drawn to a little PSU based schadenfreude.
  3. Flo is operating under the current "rules" of the game; pretty much all media outlets do this, or fail completely.
  4. Yes, this might signal the end of Western Civilization, but this isn't a board about such heady topics (thank God).
  5. Nick will have an opportunity to introduce himself to D1 wrestling over the next few months, or possibly next year, and I believe it will be wonderful to behold.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Flo cares about money. Wrestling is a means to an end, and while the guys (CP and Willie) do care about wrestling, Flo overall sees wrestling as a potential avenue for profit. I guarantee that you and I care more about the health of wrestling on a day-to-day basis than the investors of Flo.
They obviously care about money but are providing a great service and value. Where I work they only care about money, ever work in the banking or finance industry? There is a difference between caring about money vs. caring only about money. I find that flo has a passion for wrestling and provides a much needed service. Also didn't find the headline offensive

They obviously care about money but are providing a great service and value. Where I work they only care about money, ever work in the banking or finance industry? There is a difference between caring about money vs. caring only about money. I find that flo has a passion for wrestling and provides a much needed service. Also didn't find the headline offensive
The investors of Flo ONLY care about money, and therefore the business plan has that as the ultimate goal. That doesn't mean the employees don't care or that they don't provide a good service, but we should never forget that Flo's business model is not to grow the sport, but to make money. If the sport grows in the pursuit of money, great, but it isn't an end goal requirement of the business plan.

Last edited:
The headline was not "offensive" in any way. None of us should be so easily offended.

What the headline most certainly was, without question, was wildly inaccurate in its implication that Lee was dominated or schooled in any way.

Of course its click bait. As the Kings of the sport right now, we are a ripe target for schadenfreude, as nerfstate noted. But, as Michael Corleone said to Carlo, just don't lie to me, it insults my intelligence.

Reactions: nerfstate
The investors of Flo ONLY care about money. Investors in all industries want one thing, and that is money.
This! The industry type is fungible to the deep pockets. My company’s (really) deep pockets drive us like donkeys to get their unlevered 12 1/4 % return. They could care less what we do

I keep upping my prediction on nick...He is no doubt a top 3 at 141!!!! I now think he is absolutely a champion after a season of improvement....IE- see Hall, and even V Joseph...and yes I know he is a true freshman but being at PSU as long as he has he is no ordinary true freshman!!! THIS KID IS FOR REAL!!!!

Edit- That loss does not change my mind..he will figure it out and looked great!!!
As I read through these posts, I see this and assume Nick loses in the finals.....spoiler alert.

I can only imagine what this board would be saying if HR was having this same conversation.

Agree. The headline was worthy of a raised eyebrow and maybe a snide remark or two. It was misleading but was not offensive or insulting.

Was kind of surprised to come back this morning and see the discussion get way off the tracks.

Nick Lee performed great, and we need to have a thicker skin to not be worried about how a 3rd party outlet portrays Lee's performance.

I'm not usually Flo's defender but I don't see any problem whatsoever with that headline. Just because Lee had a great day and fell short doesn't mean that that's the only possible narrative lens through which to reduce that story to a headline. There's a story to tell from the less heralded Zacherl's POV and it's hardly misleading if that's the story's angle. And geez, it's not clickbait either.

Reminds me of every playoff series in the major four sports when fans of both teams cry bias because they're suddenly listening to a pair of announcers who aren't paid by their team--who are actually biased announcers--and perceive every attempt at neutrality as a slight and conspiracy.

Nick looked great up 2nd/3rd periods of the final. He looked like he ran out of gas (Cael commented about his conditioning) and wouldn't expect that guy to beat him again. Happy with how dominant he was on his feet and top in Clarion but he's a true freshman that needs time to put it all together. I was impressed and my guess is I think he'll end up starting this year. His brother Joe was very impressive too and loved how Nick was there for him during his matches.

Nick looked great up 2nd/3rd periods of the final. He looked like he ran out of gas (Cael commented about his conditioning) and wouldn't expect that guy to beat him again. Happy with how dominant he was on his feet and top in Clarion but he's a true freshman that needs time to put it all together. I was impressed and my guess is I think he'll end up starting this year. His brother Joe was very impressive too and loved how Nick was there for him during his matches.
I think Cael's comment about Nick's conditioning was saying the opposite--that Nick is in very good condition.

I've seen strength and conditioning being the reason for Nick's loss here--ironically, I saw it as an experience gap (therefore somewhat agreeing w/ the flow headline). When Nick couldn't break him mentally in the 1st minute of the match (as he'd done all day), it seemed like he wasn't sure what to do. I have confidence he'll be all the wiser next time he's in that situation.

I just saw it that Nick had a hard time getting through the hand-fighting and tie-ups. When pressing his attacks he became vulnerable. He'll adjust/gain more technique. Nice match.

Nick losing to #10 yesterday is no different than Mark Hall losing to #16 Brucki early in the season last year. Not saying that Nick will progress as well as Mark, but losses happen early in careers. That's why only one has done it undefeated.

I just saw it that Nick had a hard time getting through the hand-fighting and tie-ups. When pressing his attacks he became vulnerable. He'll adjust/gain more technique. Nice match.

Nick Hall Or Nick Nevills or Nick Lee?

Here's my attempt at headlines.

Pull on this!

Zahid whips out a victory in a 3-2 thriller over Hall.

Yes, Massa’
Logan disenfranchises opponents at the Michigan State Open.

(And yes, it’s ok to be insensitive to the brutal institution of American chattel slavery—that the South pathetically fought to preserve—because it’s a Trump, Trump World)

We Hard-Lee Knew Ya.
Zacherl welcomes Nick Lee to Division 1 Wrestling; I welcome myself to the art of plagiarism.

Piccinnini Cruzes to 8-5 Victory
Darian Cruz left Picc-ing a tent. No, not that kind of pun, Cruz is literally on the street pitching a tent… because he’s a bum.

‘Boo!’
Lewallan scares off the 149-pound room competition at the OCU Open, beats every Stillwater Moran.

Take a Chance on Him
Marsteller dismantles bracket-- credits bold, new strategy of taking on opponents one at a time. BAC found to be Pat Duggan’s wrestling career (0.0)

Hey, Princeton! Maybe it’s Time for a Medical School
No vaccine to prevent Ohio State champions in Princeton, New Jersey.

Gable Dan!
Rylee “Not Owings Larry” Streifel proves no match for HS stud, turns in transfer papers Monday morning.

Red, White, and ‘Blue Ox’
Chad Red, Isaiah White, and Mikey Labriola turn in strong performances for the young Nebraska Cornhuskers at the Daktroniks Open.

That S**T Cray
Rutgers fans applaud Nick Suriano as he murders College Park resident, Brandon Cray. Cray’s list of 2016-2017 accomplishments includes twice beating Penn State’s presumed starter, Devin Schnupp. Suriano is rumored to request a Manslaughter waiver from the Big 10. Cray was 20 years old.

Last edited:
Why are so many people quick to trash FLO? I'm one of those who thinks FLO is pretty good. Still, I wasn't happy to see their large price increase.

But to say FLO has no interest in growing the sport is just plain nuts. The more the sport grows, the more subscribers FLO has. They have a direct interest in growing the sport.

If they have the occasional snarky headline to gain clicks, I'm good with that. I've watched more wrestling in the last year in my underwear than I was able to watch dressed in the previous several years. Not sure whether it's a fetish or if I'm just lazy.

Reactions: DeadHead11
Here's my attempt at headlines.

Pull on this!

Zahid whips out a victory in a 3-2 thriller over Hall.

Yes, Massa’
Logan disenfranchises opponents at the Michigan State Open.

(And yes, it’s ok to be insensitive to the brutal institution of American chattel slavery—that the South pathetically fought to preserve—because it’s a Trump, Trump World)

We Hard-Lee Knew Ya.
Zacherl welcomes Nick Lee to Division 1 Wrestling; I welcome myself to the art of plagiarism.

Piccinnini Cruzes to 8-5 Victory
Darian Cruz left Picc-ing a tent. No, not that kind of pun, Cruz is literally on the street pitching a tent… because he’s a bum.

‘Boo!’
Lewallan scares off the 149-pound room competition at the OCU Open; beats every Stillwater Moran.

Take a Chance on Him
Marsteller dismantles bracket; credits bold, new strategy of taking on opponents one at a time. BAC found to be Pat Duggan’s wrestling career (0.0)

Hey, Princeton! Maybe it’s Time for a Medical School
No vaccine to prevent Ohio State champions in Princeton, New Jersey.

Gable Dan!
Rylee “Not Owings Larry” Streifel proves no match for HS stud; turns in transfer papers Monday morning.

Red, White, and ‘Blue Ox’
Chad Red, Isaiah White, and Mikey Labriola turn in strong performances for the young Nebraska Cornhuskers at the Daktroniks Open.

That S**T Cray
Rutgers fans applaud Nick Suriano as he murders College Park resident, Brandon Cray. Cray’s list of 2016-2017 accomplishments includes twice beating Penn State’s presumed starter, Devin Schnupp. Suriano is rumored to request a Manslaughter waiver from the Big 10. Cray was 20 years old.

Flo now has an article titled Valencia DESTROYS Hall and Cael can't coach!

"We don't know what we're talking about, click here to find out more"

J/k Flo...having a little fun.

Reactions: tikk10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT